Would you go on a pet-friendly cruise (if they existed)?

Poezestrepe

I am an animal lover and dogs above all else. My girls are awesome and would do just fine. However, taking animals (other than service pets) on a cruise ship is a TERRIBLE idea. Now if you want to launch your own pet-friendly cruise line, that's a different conversation (but also an impossible dream).

1) Barking, day and night... all day, and all night

2) Scent-marking every surface, corner and hallway

3) Sleeping in the bed, or the pillows. Not the ones I want to use next!

4) Long leashes and inattentive owners -- fights, tripping, tangling up guests and staff

5) Other guests with allergies -- you think non-smokers make a fuss about smokers, imagine the temper tantrums from those who claim legitimate allergies!

6) Stealing food from tables, lapping up ice cream, and knocking into guests carrying tempting items

7) Jumping on or sniffing non-lovers. If your dog jumped on me, he'd get his toes stepped on an a knee to the chest. Sniffers get my water or diet coke dumped on them.

8) Standing in line to board, eat, debark, eat, board... with dogs who are not accustomed to crowds.

9) Potty emergencies left in the halls

10) Humping

9) Dog who has eaten too much 'strange' food... spewing from both ends.

How is this possibly a vacation for you OR your pet?

Never. Never. Never.

Service animals (legitimate ones) are on a schedule to eat and potty. They are trained to understand where and when to walk, sit and lay down, and to be quiet. Family pets... not so reliable.

No. I have severe allergies to cats and dogs. This would be a trip I would avoid because it would be over before it started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you handle it if you are on a plane where people have taken one of their pets into the cabin with them? Seems like that would be a real problem for you.

DON

I wouldn't bring any of my dogs or cats on a cruise; it would be too stressful for them. Except maybe the crazy cat who thinks he's a dog and walks on a leash. HE'D have a great time. Until he jumped overboard trying to catch a seagull.

I would, however, be willing to be the vet on such a cruise. Just think of all the money I'd make dealing with all of the problems people have mentioned in this thread! ;)

Nope. A ship is just not practical for an animal that has to "do its business" outside. Additionally, it would be miserable for many animals to be stuck in the cabin on port days, while the owner was ashore. And how would the cabin stewards manage cleaning the cabins? No, I would not.

Edited by printingchick

My dream at one time was to take all 5 of my labs on Concorde. Air France allowed dogs of ANY size in the cabin if you paid full fare. I had enough miles to get all of them to Paris and home. Then the wreck happened and no more flying dogs.

While I have a jet boat and two out of the 5 LOVE to go for a fast ride, it would just be too much to take them all on a cruise ship, any cruise ship. I seriously was considering a 2-3 year overseas assignment in Kuwait and was going to have to take them on QE2, then drive them across Europe to Greece or Italy, take a ferry to North Africa, then attempt to drive to Kuwait. Just too risky to fly them in the desert heat and also very risky to drive them across the Middle East at that time.

Glad I opted for 3 month contracts instead of the long term one. And I would be terrified they would somehow go overboard on a cruise ship. They stay home with the live in dog sitter when I travel.

When you think of all the work involved, not to mention the cost, of taking a pet on the QM2, I doubt that even the most ardent dog lover would go through with it unless there was an important reason for the journey. I believe that after getting the right injections and papers for the TA, you still have to turn up early for the Cunard vet check....and although you can visit your pet, the care is with special crew members, so your input is limited.

with the exception of true trained service dogs i hope to never cruise with anyone who brings a pet.there is a world of difference in the training and the animal's comfort and safety in this alien environment.

if you love your pets dont even think of stressing them this way.

How do you handle it if you are on a plane where people have taken one of their pets into the cabin with them? Seems like that would be a real problem for you.

DON

I am not severely allergic to any animal, but I seem to have a sensitivity to some breeds of dogs. I sneeze & sneeze & sneeze & sneeze ...

Last time we flew (just a few weeks ago) I started sneezing on the plane. It went on for quite a while, and I'm sure it was very annoying to the people around me, even though I used Kleenex very carefully and tried to stay as quiet as I could ... and sure enough, it turned out there was a cute little doggy just a few rows away from us. Didn't see him until we were all at baggage claim.