Would you go on a pet-friendly cruise (if they existed)?

Poezestrepe

Here's a furry traveler from the QE2, getting ready for muster! I have no interest in a pet friendly cruise, and our kitties would undoubtedly prefer to stay home with the petsitter. Cunard does have kennels- and muster for the pets in case of an emergency. This kitty is from someone's blog. (cruiserking, I'm picturing Binky boarding your private yacht...). :D

It never crossed my mind that Cunard has muster for their four-legged passengers as well, that's awesome and reassuring too.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Also: hypothetically, what would the accommodations be like?

We're going on a 3 week transatlantic cruise this fall (MSC Musica from Marseille to the Dominican Republic).

While I greatly look forward to the cruise, it kills me to have to leave our family dog behind. :( I know she'll probably have a better holiday than we will (since she's staying with my parents and their dogs), and also that it'd be a hassle sometimes to have her on the ship (quarantine rules in the various ports of call etc.). But all in all, if I had the choice, I wouldn't hesitate to take her along.

While it's obviously not easy to implement for cruise lines, many of the advancements on recent ships are arguably more complex than providing some pet-friendly solutions. Surely if they can accommodate an in door ice skating ring, a dog park/toilet can't be too hard to make?

Off course, there'd need to be rules and regulations: paperwork and vaccinations up-to-date, dedicated cabins, on leash policy, restriction to enter certain areas,...

I realise it's not possible, but a girl can dream...

Yes, I would go. The problem is that dogs would use the bathroom in the pool and other things.

Not a chance would I do that. I wouldn't even want to go on a ship that had previously had a pet friendly cruise week. I already don't want to think about the carpet and couches in my cabin and how old they are but to have dogs who had accidents and cats who shredded the side the upholstery, no thanks. Then there's the folks who are seriously allergic to animals who get a cabin that held a cat or two for a week or two, their trip is ruined by allergies. And let's not forget having kitty litter strewn on the floor in your cabin. Like sand at the beach, it would end up in the bed. Or keep the litter box in the bathroom and you are stepping on kitty litter every time you go in there.

And let's not forget having kitty litter strewn on the floor in your cabin. Like sand at the beach, it would end up in the bed. Or keep the litter box in the bathroom and you are stepping on kitty litter every time you go in there.

Much better than what a dog leaves behind where ever it feels like leaving it and being stepped on and ending up in you bed. :eek:

Edited by boogs

I'm sure my cat would love it ... until he came face-to-face with a dog :eek:

And let's not forget having kitty litter strewn on the floor in your cabin. Like sand at the beach, it would end up in the bed. Or keep the litter box in the bathroom and you are stepping on kitty litter every time you go in there.

My cat used to scatter kitty litter all over the place. I solved that by placing his litter tray inside a large plastic tub. He can easily jump in and out but the sides are high enough to contain the mess. The tub came with a clip on lid so theoretically he could travel but ... nah, better to leave him at home with the house sitters :D

Never in a million years. People that are incapable of leaving their pet at home when they go on vacation (or anywhere for that matter) are usually the people with the worst spoiled dogs.

It gets me annoyed when people can't even leave their pets home when they go to the store for a short time.

This. I like cats and tolerate dogs (we have a dog but she was my husband's dog from before he ever met me...she's old and well-behaved, so I don't mind her).

But I still hate a) having dog hair all over me because your long-haired dog wants to rub against my leg; b) having dog slobber over me because you think it's so cute that your dog gives everyone "kisses", and c) having dog breath in my face when I eat because it's sitting there panting and hoping for scraps. We have some friends that I really don't want to visit anymore because their MIL moved in with 3 dogs, in addition to a dog they already had. That house is now literally a zoo. You couldn't pay me enough to stay in a pet-friendly hotel, let alone go on a pet-friendly cruise.

I LOVE dogs and have had the companionship and love of dogs most of my life. I hated when we left them behind to travel but I would not sail on a cruise that was 'pet friendly'. Sadly not all pet parents (owners) are responsible and not all dogs are well trained. I don't want to hear and smell animals throughout my cruise and dodge those who may not have the best manners. :eek:

↑↑↑THIS↑↑↑

There are too many variables and issues that would make it a miserable experience for fellow travelers, pet parents and their fur (bird? snake?) babies. I would avoid such a cruise.

We went to breakfast this morning. We were sitting inside the restaurant enjoying talking to one another. There was a guy sitting outside. He had his precious dog with him. A guy walks by about 20 feet away with his dog. The precious one barked on and on and on. The guy had to pick his dog up and walk through the bushes around the cars to avoid Precious. Would I want to cruise with jerk guys like this who thing their dogs are great .... NO I would not. My husband didn't want me to confront him for his inconsiderateness.

Loved my dog - but he was MY dog. Why would I assume anyone else would want him around and Why - Why - would i assume my dog would want to be put in an unfamiliar place where he couldn't do anything around his normal routine.

Let's see - make him endure the flight, then the storage, then the ship, then the flight back. Ya, a fun trip for any pet. A very very selfish idea for the pet owner.

This is some kind of joke...right?

Of course we would not be in favor of this..and we are dog lovers.

But pets are not just dogs and cats.

How about birds, snakes, lizards, and maybe even a pot bellied pig.

Never heard anything so silly in my life as bringing pets on a cruise.

Edited by iancal

My son and daughter in law took their 2 dogs on a drive cross country to visit her parents. He said the pet friendly hotels nights were the worse. One and then both of the dogs would bark when anyone walked past the room. This was annoying enough at night. Then the dogs woke them at 6 in the morning when the first person walked by the room, so then they had to get up and walk the dogs. (They live in Brooklyn so it is not like the dogs are not used to outside activity, just different turf which they don't understand).

If you do not think anyone is up at 6 in the morning, just go to the fitness center. Most of us humans try to be quiet so that we do not wake you. But you know how dogs are super sensitive to any little noise.

No, I would not go. A service dog here and there is one thing, an entire gang of spoiled pets is a nightmare.

Rather than read over three pages of posts, I stopped right here. I am with you!!

NO, I would avoid it just like I avoid the cruises when schools out. Plus I don't want to worry about pet hair in my food or people handling their pets and not washing their hands.

I sure do miss our beloved dog when we are away from home, but I would not want to bring him on a cruise. We bring him on our camping trips, and on our trips to the ocean, where we stay in a dog-friendly hotel.

But on a cruise, it sounds like too much work and time to have to dedicate to taking care of our Buddy.

So, no....even if we could, I would not bring our dog on a cruise.