Canyon Ranch Spa.....never again!!

cruisefar

Does anyone know if the on-board spas have therapists that are trained in prenatal massage? Or will they not provide services to mamas-to-be (I know lots of spas simply don't want the liability)?

Based on all of the problems with the operators working for Canyon ranch- I wouldn't trust them if I were pregnant- Good luck to you.

Hi

My two daughters and I had a pedicure on Eclipse August 14 with Canyon Ranch it was not an experience any of us enjoyed(apart from the view) we were all told off about the state of our feet and given a very hard sell my girl was quite rough and caused two toes to bleed quite a lot. gratuity is 18% but we all felt a lot of pressure to give more and one daughter did buy creams as her girl had already put them in a bag I most definatly refused any to buy we all agreed we would never go again.although to be fair our toe nails did look nice .

Catherine

That is terrible! There is no reason for toes to bleed during a pedicure. Being told off about the state of your feet was unprofessional and should have resulted in a complaint to the manager.

We were on Equinox in June, and tried a few things. I tried a port day special, which included a 50 minute massage and mini-facial. I started reacting to something being used during the facial (it was burning quite a lot) and the technician tried to tell me it was supposed to do that. My DD had a massage, and the girl shorted her on time but still charged full price. My sister was pleased with her facial, but sis lives in Switzerland and is used to the extremely high prices she pays there.

Why or why is no one discussing the aforementioned problems with X? Seriously. the spa sounds like a major problem. X has to receive some revenue from them.

I do not understand this at all. X cruises gets rave reviews and is supposedly one of the better cruise lines.

I sit here and read and just shake my head. Unreal the things that are allowed.

My belief is. if you're going to pay for a spa treatments, it should be a rewarding expeience.

Why or why is no one discussing the aforementioned problems with X? Seriously. the spa sounds like a major problem. X has to receive some revenue from them.

I do not understand this at all. X cruises gets rave reviews and is supposedly one of the better cruise lines.

I sit here and read and just shake my head. Unreal the things that are allowed.

My belief is. if you're going to pay for a spa treatments, it should be a rewarding expeience.

That is why I asked if the poster discussed the issues with the Manager. If no one speaks of these issues, then they will always stay the same. If the nail techs were too scary to complain about at the spa as the poster said, then a trip to guest services would be in order. I go to Canyon Ranch's spa in Tucson and if they knew that any tech was rude to a customer, they would want to know. The staff and services in Tucson are top notch and they make sure that every customer is satisfied and I would guess that is how they (as a company) feel on the ships.

But I have to say, reading a lot of reviews, many of the reviewers had great experiences and treatments at the Canyon Ranch Spa on the ships. What I've read here is not going to stop me from trying the spa on my January cruise, because I will judge for myself with regard to the staff and treatments, because we all interpret things differently. Are they expensive, yes, but all cruise ships are and if someone thinks they are going to get services at the same prices as land based spas, they need to do some research and if someone automatically accepts a treatment without looking at a price list to see what else is available or how much it is, then if they don't like what they were charged, then the owness is on them.

My last summit cruise, I made an appointment for a haircut. They printed me out a confirmation and appointment that had the haircut itemized on the reservation form and its cost. I assume they would dpi this for any reserved procedure, no?

I was kind of ticked of however I went on a port day and tried to use my Captains Club coupon that said "20% off value prices" assuming that meant the port days were value priced and then I'd get 20% off. They said no.

After our unpleasant pedicure aboard the Eclipse we did not complain to management coming from England it is not really in our nature to do so.we just put it down to experience and I put up with my sore toes We did not want in any way to spoil what was an amazing cruise with excellant staff in all other areas.

Catherine

Guest services does not control the concession. Although I have found they will plead your case for you. The influence is minimal. They maybe able to remove tips, but personally I find this a horrid option.

We found Steiners management deteriorated over the years. Sometimes I found spa managers were clueless as to the training of their staff and staff were incentivized in such a way occasional unauthorized charges were made, Treatments cut short. Coupons were worthless. We learned to lower expectations and still spent money there. Some treatments were good, some awful and occasionally we were pleasantly suprised. Overall my trust eroded, and if I needed something, I just went to the acupuncturist mostly they had california licensing. There was a time though, when shipboard spas were likely better than what you get at home.

Now...we have canyon ranch. I do hope they level out.

After many Celebrity cruises and Steiner massages and manicures, I had the chance to experience Canyon Ranch on the Eclipse this summer.

My masseuse was the best one I had ever had and guess what? she was on Celebrity previously with Steiners.

I bumped into a manicurist and told her I needed an manicure desperately, but was not going to pay $75. She replied Who told you that? It's $48 as always. Anyway, she did give me a very good manicure. I have issues with my cuticles and anyone who doesn't damage my cuticles, does a good job!

By the way, I was told that they are not allowed to push products.

Are the spa therapists sep from the salon workers? I know it is all Canyon Ranch but seems they would have diff training???

I will still try to book my usual massage and facial on upcoming Reflection cruise,,...but will make sure ahead of time the coupon will be applied to the port day service...get it in writing I suppose,

I still use some products that Steiner sold..but have always ordered on line.from time they were available...,.you get better deals than on the ship and free samples and does not fill up luggage space. I always mentioned that to my therapist so they knew ahead of time that ,only way they could make extra was to do a great service and get a better tip.

thanks for all the helpful feedback...hope Canyon Ranch reports continue and get better.CR was great on QM 2!

Edited by hcat

Guest services does not control the concession. Although I have found they will plead your case for you. The influence is minimal. They maybe able to remove tips, but personally I find this a horrid option.

Telling Guest Services, who can pass along the passengers experience, is better than not telling anyone and allowing bad behavior to continue. I don't feel that Guest Services should plead anyone's case, but they should pass the information along to the proper staff member.

The point is, behavior that is unacceptable to the passenger maybe noted, but guest services does not control it nor can they stop it. Guest services cannot compel the contractor to refund. That choice or acceptable training is up to the contractor, not Celebrity.

Are the spa therapists sep from the salon workers? I know it is all Canyon Ranch but seems they would have diff training???

I will still try to book my usual massage and facial on upcoming Reflection cruise,,...but will make sure ahead of time the coupon will be applied to the port day service...get it in writing I suppose,

thanks for all the helpful feedback...hope Canyon Ranch reports continue and get better.CR was great on QM 2!

Yes...esthetician training is different than massage training and both are different than salon training. In the US each state decides the guidelines or not. Some states do not license.

Some therapist are trained in a couple of areas. It was not unusual for massage therapists to also be esthiticians.

Thanks for the clarification...

..I usually stick with the spa but have had some nice services in the Steiner salon...including a blow out once, a fragipani scalp treatment...etc .Guess I have been lucky!

This time only planning on spa....if first one is bad will cancel others,

According to the Canyon Ranch site, the cost for a nail file and polish is $24 plus the 18% mandatory gratuity (why don't they just list the actual price!) or $18 plus gratuity on a port day. Since that is really all I need, if I don't get around to a mani/pedi at home, I might book just the file & polish. At home, I often go to the beauty school, so I figure it should be at least as good on board. I will definitely make sure they know what I'm booking though!

The basic manicure is under $50, which isn't a lot more than at home at the day spa.

I have mainly had good service at the spas, but if you are not happy with the treatment, or feel you have been overcharged, it is up to you to say so at the time. I once had an acupuncture treatment that was a complete nightmare and they tried to act as if everything was fine, but I just told them very politely that I was not happy with the treatment and the reasons why. They immediately said they were sorry I was not satisfied and there would be no charge. It was all handled in a perfectly friendly way, but I did put a put a comment on the guest questionnaire, as I felt that was the way to bring the matter to Celebrity's attention. If you say nothing and just pay up, you are left feeling aggrieved, but no-one else knows that you have had less than satisfactory service and Celebrity can't fix problems they don't know about.

I also say how it goes in comment cards, not sure how it shows up with new email form. I agree, this is the likely place for X to get a feel for overall satisfaction.

Don't think so- they are a sub contractor and a huge profit center. Sure, some concerns but a card submitted=so?

Sorry the OP had such a disappointing experience. Personally I think $117 for a mani/pedi is extortionate.

I used to go to the spa for a blow dry. Found in most cases the stylists were hopeless and I generally had to complain to the manager which I found stressful. Now on a Mediterranean itinerary I use stylists in port. In Barcelona and Tenerife I found hairdressers so fantastic I wished I could take them home with me.

I agree, $100 for a mani/pedi is high on land, but one has to remember that on the ship, you are a captive audience, just like at a hotel. They can charge the higher prices, because when many people are on vacation, they will pay a higher price.

I tried to find Steiner's price list for Celebrity, but couldn't find it, but did find Steiner's price list from 2013 for Carnival. Their price for a mani/pedi is $90 ($35 and $55), while Canyon Ranch's is $111 ($42 and $69), so they are similarly priced. High prices, yes and the best thing is that no one is forced to use the spa or pay these prices, as there are always alternatives (go before you cruise, use a salon at one of the ports or do it yourself).

Don't think so- they are a sub contractor and a huge profit center. Sure, some concerns but a card submitted=so?

I also wrote similar skepticism in earlier posts about X and their response. I do think they would eventually notice trends is subcontractors satisfaction over some time. Trends verses a handful of complaints.

I also wrote similar skepticism in earlier posts about X and their response. I do think they would eventually notice trends is subcontractors satisfaction over some time. Trends verses a handful of complaints.

Exactly. Likely a single comment won't do anything, but several over time, will let X discuss issues come time to renew contracts and look to other alternatives. Also there may be language in their contracts that have stipulations on customer comments and scores, we don't know. but from a business standpoint, X wants happy people in the spa telling others to go there to spend money so X gets their commissions.

Neither X nor Canyon Ranch are successful without a majority of happy customers.

Exactly. Likely a single comment won't do anything, but several over time, will let X discuss issues come time to renew contracts and look to other alternatives. Also there may be language in their contracts that have stipulations on customer comments and scores, we don't know. but from a business standpoint, X wants happy people in the spa telling others to go there to spend money so X gets their commissions.

Neither X nor Canyon Ranch are successful without a majority of happy customers.

Curt, I wonder if the cruiselines "read between the lines", when it comes to the guest satisfaction surveys. We got really fed up with the infamous "Steiner hard-sell" years ago. Except for using our Elite port-day pass to the Persian Gardens, we never set foot in the spa anymore. So, on the survey, we just end up checking the "N/A" (service not used) box, when we get to the spa services section. So, I wonder if people staying away in droves is part of why X dropped Steiner, last year?