Canyon Ranch Spa.....never again!!

cruisefar

My goodness, that is beyond expensive....ridiculous is more like it.

I always get a pedicure ($20) and a full body massage ($38 for a full hour) prior to going on a cruise....with tips that comes out to approx $75 for both. I am good to go and would never pay those prices and feel ok about it. I am with you, would just want to cry. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Your cruise should be fun and relaxing not a regret or stressful.

Gone are the days that they used to provide a massage for a dollar per minute while in port.

I was not treated well in the spa last year. I don't know if Canyon Ranch had it or not. The girl who changed my polish was not nice....I looked at the nails she had polished and she asked me what I was doing. I told her I like to look at my nails when they're freshly polished. She told me I was rude. :eek:

I was also charged more than what was quoted. :mad: I would never use X's spa again.

I had a totally different experience in ACC's spa once again and I had the name nail tech as I had 2 years ago and she remembered me. What a sweet, young girl.

I had a manicure and pedicure a few years ago for $99 and right from the word go I needed this and then that and the other. No chat which by now I felt quite happy about - she really didn't like me saying that I didn't want any extras. Then when I came to pay she brought out the products that I needed! And began to bag them. Now I was really angry and asked for my bill which I paid with NO tip.

Sad to say the treatments were excellent and to be honest she deserved a tip but she never made me feel comfortable or relaxed.

I have never been in a spa since on board a ship.

My bill was $257. Wait....I had a mani/pedi!!!! My husband is going to kill me! I learned a very important lesson... I need to see quotes in writing!! Goodbye Canyon Ranch Spa...you have seen the last of me!

LOL, is it me or is this deja vue all over again with these shipboard Spas??:rolleyes:

I did an entire 7 night cruise around the Hawaiian Islands in 2006 for $249pp. :cool:

Hard to believe I COULD have had a mani/pedi instead, for just a few dollars more. :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I'm sorry the op had this experience. We had a completely different one on silhouette. They went through the pedicure menu, pointed out how we'd save by doing it on a port day and confirmed we'd also get a further discount using the cap club voucher - all before booking. Still pricey compared to land prices. On the other hand when we used Steiner a mans 50 min pedicure lasted 25 so complained and they gave half back

Why not get this done before you go? This way you know what you are getting, the price you are paying and can relax on the cruise without being hounded to buy something you don't want, need or will use.

sometimes the "get it done before you go" doesn´t work. I need regular massages for medical reasons. For my upcoming 12 nights cruise I´m not looking forward to paying an amount for one massage on the Solstice that would get me 2 massages on the ships I have cruised with before.

Edited by AntjeG

Holy jumping cats! $257 for a mani/pedi! I'd have made a sign & picketed price gouging!!! I had a gel manicure & regular pedicure on Equinox with Steiner (just before the switchover) & it was right at $110 including the gratuity. Much more than home, but definitely relaxing. Guess I won't be going to the spa during this year's Eclipse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

sometimes the "get it done before you go" doesn´t work. I need regular massages for medical reasons. For my upcoming 12 nights cruise I´m not looking forward to paying an amount for one massage on the Solstice that would get me 2 massages on the ships I have cruised with before.

Sorry, not talking about messages. Nails, YES!

I only book spa sevices...facial, massage etc. I do my own nails and hair, esp on cruises.

Appreciate the heads up so I will have them write down the prices on my appt sheet....hoping to use an Elite couon on a port day at least once... I enjoyed CR on QM 2 so will give them a try.,,

Steiner was OK and never had issues with product sales....but many of their therapists were young ladies who talked too much,,,,either homesick or unhappy about work environment...

Think the OP should have looked at the price list, to make sure she knew what her options were and what she was getting before agreeing to the appointment. It looks like the person she was talking to, sold her the most expensive treatments. I just pulled up their price list and they have a manicure for $42 and a pedicure for $69, neither are gel, which obviously costs more.

Thank goodness I had no trouble with the cost of anything in the spa area (or anywhere on the ship for that matter) being more than I expected. I didn't know the zumba classes would get a tip tacked on to them, I might have given a tip anyhow as I often do on a cruise ship for the different exercise classes. I don't recall pilates or yoga classes I've taken on other cruise lines having an automatic tip - there was just a line for an optional tip. Not sure if this is why but I often do tip & maybe the instructors try harder if it is not automatically built in.

The massage - I knew Eve was going over & for a while I was wondering if there had been a mix up on the length of the massage I booked. At that point I decided it was a great massage & if I get billed more - oh well. I asked her about it & she then told me she knew & she didn't have any more clients after me so she was just giving me a few more minutes.

The hot stones massage was nice but this was a better massage, much more deep tissue work. Elbows! My back is a mass of knots and it felt so great to have work done. With the length of this cruise & my vacation in all I had missed many physical therapy sessions. This helped so much. I did have to add on to the typical tip, would have been criminal not to.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

On one of my earlier cruises (around 1985) I won a free facial. I've been waiting to get another one ever since.;)

I get a pre-cruise mani/pedi for around $35 from my local salon that appreciates my business and wants my future business.

But I was on a Danube River cruise this past summer on Avalon (small ship). They had a very small "spa" with limited services. I had a manicure and it cost --ten dollars! The manicurist was very nice, gave her a nice tip which she appreciated.

We've had similar issues (Pre-Canyon).

Solution: NO more spa on cruises. Now, we *start* our vacation 1 day earlier in that I take DW to a local spa that day. Tired of these mass-market cruise lines finding ways to crimp on service, because they know their 'loyal' customers will shrug and say "oh well, a cruise is what you make of it, don't complain".

Cruising for me is still a pleasure - and for now with kids, mass market like X is still the value. BUT it's a place for easy, self-contained vacation, and a lovely ocean view.

*Spa - never.

*Drinks with lunch - never - why flag down a waiter?

There's a few other up-charges we just don't do anymore. We used to love it - but have decided not to spend too much money on a mass-market experience. And then it's all good - we et what we pay for and it's a square deal.

I always get a facial and a massage before I leave town, because I get a two hour massage for under $100! (Amazing, I know.) With the prices on the ship, I would rather enjoy a few nice bottles of wine with dinners!

I enjoy having my hair done on the ship. Tried Canyon ranch salon on my last Summit cruise. I was very dissappointed with the stylist. he was young and clearly inexperienced. I expected so much more from the Salon. I heard they also now charge $11 for Zumba. How cheap is that! Shame on Celebrity.

I enjoy having my hair done on the ship. Tried Canyon ranch salon on my last Summit cruise. I was very dissappointed with the stylist. he was young and clearly inexperienced. I expected so much more from the Salon. I heard they also now charge $11 for Zumba. How cheap is that! Shame on Celebrity.

I take it that you are not suggesting that they should charge more? :rolleyes: :D

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

As someone who avoided all things Steiner like the plague, I was very hopeful about the spa change to Canyon Ranch. But, on our last cruise, I got sticker-shock, just looking at the spa menu. I think they did have some port day specials -- but, we were busy off the ship. The reviews I've read so far have been like this one -- disappointing. About the most positive thing anyone can say is that the "hard sell" of spa products is finally gone.

Hi

My two daughters and I had a pedicure on Eclipse August 14 with Canyon Ranch it was not an experience any of us enjoyed(apart from the view) we were all told off about the state of our feet and given a very hard sell my girl was quite rough and caused two toes to bleed quite a lot. gratuity is 18% but we all felt a lot of pressure to give more and one daughter did buy creams as her girl had already put them in a bag I most definatly refused any to buy we all agreed we would never go again.although to be fair our toe nails did look nice .

Catherine

Hi

My two daughters and I had a pedicure on Eclipse August 14 with Canyon Ranch it was not an experience any of us enjoyed(apart from the view) we were all told off about the state of our feet and given a very hard sell my girl was quite rough and caused two toes to bleed quite a lot. gratuity is 18% but we all felt a lot of pressure to give more and one daughter did buy creams as her girl had already put them in a bag I most definatly refused any to buy we all agreed we would never go again.although to be fair our toe nails did look nice .

Catherine

Hopefully you went to the Manager and discussed the problems you had. No way should a nail tech do anything to make your toes bleed.

Hi

No we did not complain to the manager the girls in the nail spa were quite scary we just wanted to make a quick exit .

I would write a letter or send an email about it to Celebrity, what you encountered was totally unacceptable and if you don't let them know about it, others will have to go through the same thing. Edited by NLH Arizona