Luggage valet

cruiserjt

We were almost able to use this great service on one of our cruises, but the airline changed our flight to depart 5 mins before the cruise line's minimum time. Just be ware that this can happen. (I believe it was a Royal Caribbean rather than Celebrity Cruise, but similar rules apply).

Jane

We've also had two times when we've been denied from the program. Once was based on a random selection by the TSA, which can happen to anyone, and once it was because we had waitlisted for first class upgrades (back when I flew a lot for business and had the upgrade certificates). Apparently if you are listed for an upgrade they won't accept you for some reason.

Bottom line is you can't be 100% certain you'll have it until you get the boarding pass and tags.

Edited by Lsimon

Apparently if you are listed for an upgrade they won't accept you for some reason.

Wonder if it may have to do with the charge for luggage.

i.e. if you do clear first class it's free luggage, but they have to prepare your luggage as if it's coach class the night before, and therefore charge the fee, and the airlines don't want the hassle of arguing that once a fee is paid they won't refund it (as per airline rules on the matter) so to avoid this, they won't check it?

Can't recall.....if we are lucky enough to get luggage valet...do we still print out our own boarding passes or does the cruise line handle that?

with SW air you can print them 24 hrs ahead ( we pay extra for first boarding group)and have sometimes been fortunate to get a pre check pass....meaning no need to take off shoes, display meds or lap tops, etc

guess all will remain a big question mark til last minute...

Edited by hcat

Can't recall.....if we are lucky enough to get luggage valet...do we still print out our own boarding passes or does the cruise line handle that?

with SW air you can print them 24 hrs ahead ( we pay extra for first boarding group)and have sometimes been fortunate to get a pre check pass....meaning no need to take off shoes, display meds or lap tops, etc

guess all will remain a big question mark til last minute...

I know when I did luggage valet the last time, I did not get a boarding pass in my kit. I fly United generally, and have auto check in enabled though on my mobile device.

We will be flying out of FLL at 115pm on Spirit. Does it matter which airline you are flying on for this program? We already prepaid our luggage fee. Also I really don't care about dragging luggage. It would be nice to leave the port with our boarding passes in hand especially since spirit charges to print passes at airport and does not have passes on electronic media. Can you get your boarding passes printed without having to buy internet minutes. Also how much does the valet service cost?

We will be flying out of FLL at 115pm on Spirit. Does it matter which airline you are flying on for this program? We already prepaid our luggage fee. Also I really don't care about dragging luggage. It would be nice to leave the port with our boarding passes in hand especially since spirit charges to print passes at airport and does not have passes on electronic media. Can you get your boarding passes printed without having to buy internet minutes. Also how much does the valet service cost?

It cost $20 pp and well worth it. But not associated with Spirit at this time.

My prior post, #11 above, has a copy of the form from a cruise you can download that has all the information as it was 2 seasons ago in March 2013. Things might have changed since then including the list of participating airlines and the cost. Since the Florida Caribbean sailing season is just about to get started I don't think anyone knows what the terms for this year will be yet but there should be reports within a month or so.

You can not print boarding passes on board without using internet minutes. To make matters worse the last day of the cruise the internet café is particularly busy with people checking in and due to this the internet service is sometimes slower than usual due to all the online traffic. My understanding is that the charge for Sprit's boarding passes at the airport only applies to those printed by a gate agent and that there is no charge for printing them at the automated kiosks.

• 2 months later...

It wouldn't work for us. We disembarked in Miami on Nov. 22, 2014 from Reflection; our flight was in Ft. Lauderdale. When the form came to our cabin a few days before disembarking, it said ONLY for noon-or-after flights at Miami airport, and ONLY for 2:00-or-after flights at Ft. Lauderdale airport.

Be careful with the airline fees. The one time we used Luggage Valet we were Elite Frequent Flyers and did not have to pay airline baggage fees but we were charged those fees anyway. It took several weeks to get it sorted out with the company who provided the Luggage Valet service at the time. It was not a cruise line mistake, it was not an airline mistake so I had to deal with a third party but it finally got fixed.

• 1 month later...

Much to my disappointment, I want to let everyone know that the luggage valet was not offered from the Explorer of the Seas at Port Canaveral. Guest services said it was too short of a cruise to offer it. I was extremely disappointed because I had thought it would be available there.

Only info I have is the flyer from a March 2013 Eclipse sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. I've attached a PDF of the file below and it indicates that the program was available for flights from Miami at that time so I presume it still is.

We are flying Alaska Air from the west coast. Anyone know if you can add Alaska Air to their list or perhaps it was added???? Great service and so needed if you are doing a long flight back home.