The truth about laundry

Cruisa Loosa

So, a number of people say they don't sent their under garments to the laundry. Where on earth do you dry them if you do them yourself? It's pretty tight in the cabin.

There's a retractable laundry line in the shower.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

We have had some issues with the laundry, one item totally ruined - 2 pairs of slacks with double creases, broken buttons on shirts, bra totally ruined but replaced, so I went out and bought all dark underwear and socks for the both of us and have had no trouble since with them - we don't send slacks anymore and make sure the shirts and t-shirts are all the same types of colours - we also ask for cold water wash and have had far less problems with

things since then.

the worst thing I think was when my favourite pink t-shirt came back with 5 blue fingerprints on it - have no idea how they could have got there - maybe from staff handling blueing, but thought that wasn't in use anymore - anyway, they never came out and now it is my gardening shirt and makes me smile every time I wear it and remember that cruise.

We use the laundry service every cruise. 95% of the time there's no problem at all. Last cruise, a couple of times items were returned still damp. I sent them back to be redone and they were returned nice and dry.

One lesson I did learn (and you all probably know this and are laughing at me): The laundry order form has 3 copies...white, yellow, pink. You are supposed to keep the last page and compare what's returned with what was sent. Since the forms don't say "Keep a copy" or indicate which color is for what purpose, we always sent all 3 copies with the laundry.

When one order went missing (found after a day) I learned we are supposed to keep that last page. And now I do. :o

I also like KK's idea of photographing the items sent out.

We have always used the laundry and dry cleaning since we stay in the Neptune suites. It's great to pack less (relatively speaking) and have clean clothes when we return home!

Out only problem was when dry cleaning lost Mike's tuxedo jacket. Our cabin attendant was mortified, and we were worried what to do for that evening if it couldn't be found. Our cabin attendant made a list of EVERY dry cleaning order in the last 2 days on board & visited every cabin until he found Mike's jacket in the same room one deck up.

We have used the laundry & the dry cleaning services on several ships. (Also the self-service machines)

We have sent just about everything to the laundry, except for some of my delicate blouses/tops and bras. Everything else goes ... pjs, undies (his & mine), socks (his & mine), tee shirts, shorts, slacks, etc.

Don't take photos but always make a list ... have never had a problem getting all of our items back.

Mr Chew has an old tee shirt that he uses for workout wear. Some kind of logo on it, no tears, but lots of stains. The first time it went to the ship's laundry, it came back as good as new. Took him a few years to get it back to workout-ready!

We send out laundry several times each cruise, the only problems we have had, were one broken button and one lost pair of DH's wool socks

When returning to board the ship at Luganville, a huge gust of wind blew a length of the carpet covering the mucky dock, which hit DH and knocked him over, he landed on the black mess on the dock.:(

The laundry did an excellent job removing the muck from his shirt and shorts.

I have used HAL's laundry service for over 80 cruises and I can't remember them destroying anything.

That being said, I used some common sense.

I sent out all DH's t-shirts, shorts, jerseys, underwear etc for laundering.

I sent dockers, dress pants, shirts and better Polo shirts for dry cleaning.

I sent my casual slacks, tops, capri pants, jerseys for dry cleaning but hand washed any 'dainties'. I never sent out my lingerie but rather washed and hung to dry in the bathroom overnight. I wouldn't send out a delicate, lacy dress or item that needs special care. I bring that home to my usual dry cleaner.

HAL does a fine job with laundry and sends it back pressed and folded or hung as per your preference.

I find this part of your post particularly helpful--thank you!

I have used HAL's laundry service for over 80 cruises and I can't remember them destroying anything.

That being said, I used some common sense.

I sent out all DH's t-shirts, shorts, jerseys, underwear etc for laundering.

I sent dockers, dress pants, shirts and better Polo shirts for dry cleaning.

I sent my casual slacks, tops, capri pants, jerseys for dry cleaning but hand washed any 'dainties'. I never sent out my lingerie but rather washed and hung to dry in the bathroom overnight. I wouldn't send out a delicate, lacy dress or item that needs special care. I bring that home to my usual dry cleaner.

HAL does a fine job with laundry and sends it back pressed and folded or hung as per your preference.

This is a wise strategy, OP, for all the lines we've sailed. I've had nothing ruined but one pair of slacks has never been the same. I wash in cold water at home and that makes the fabrics wear a very long time. I'm thinking ship's laundries must have to use higher temps for health reasons. DH's things can go safely to ships' laundries and I send my socks, tee shirts, gym shorts. I also wash my dainties and other clothes in the sink. I'm looking forward to the Veendam where I can use the self service laundry for my things and not have a jungle of wet clothes in the shower and room like I do on most ships. Loved the Rotterdam for this, too. You don't have to carry so many clothes if you can wash them yourself.

We're jeans and casual shirts type travelers.

We send out our everyday clothes--jeans, dockers, casual shirts, t-shirts, socks--for laundering and they have always come back in great shape. As a matter of fact, my husbands shirts hold the creases from pressing for many more washings at home--a nice little benefit.

Our only hiccup was having one of my tops come up missing, but I gave our steward a good description of it and it was found in less than a day.

I hand wash our underclothes at night--all quick dry--and they hang on a circular laundry ring with clips that I can easily transfer to a closet rod when we leave the room in the AM.

On our 3 week Baltic cruise, we sent out 2 well stuffed bags of laundry and that was it. By not having a 3rd, or even 4th suitcase on that trip, we saved at least $200 in baggage fees back & forth, so it was a deal.

We used the laundry a few times on our other cruises. On our last cruise on the Rotterdam we sent out laundry everyday. We packed less clothes because we needed to take heavy jackets with us and they take up a lot of room. It only cost us $95 for the 14 days well worth the money and not having to use up my vacation time to do laundry myself :D or wait in line to use the launderette. The only thing I did do by hand was my husbands support stockings which are very costly and can be damaged easily.

Like others have said just be choosy in what you send out to be laundered.

[quote name='Vict0riann']I always write in "Cold Wash, Please" on the form - I don't know if they do it, but it's there. We haven't had any problems, but I don't send anything that I would normally hang to dry at home. I just wash it in the sink (using their shampoo, as recommended here on CC), roll everything up in one of the bath towels and step on it, and then hang to dry on the line in the bathtub. Usually everything is dry by morning, and I can put it all away, and nobody knows what I've been up to!:)[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Helpful information. Thanks, Ann.:):D:)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='Vict0riann']I always write in "Cold Wash, Please" on the form - I don't know if they do it, but it's there. We haven't had any problems, but I don't send anything that I would normally hang to dry at home. I just wash it in the sink (using their shampoo, as recommended here on CC), roll everything up in one of the bath towels and step on it, and then hang to dry on the line in the bathtub. Usually everything is dry by morning, and I can put it all away, and nobody knows what I've been up to!:)[/QUOTE]

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam Med Romance on Sept. 9th and we purchased the laundry service for the 12 days. The cost was $108 and we had unlimited washing and pressing. The turn around time was good and we had no problem with anything except one pair of shorts had to be sent back as they weren't pressed, but that was all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums