Just off the phone with NCL RE: HURRICANE GONZALO

bbryan5

We live just outside of Saint John NB (Canada). We get a lot of cruise ships in the port that are trying to get away from storms. We have been told that this storm will be going south of NS so we will not feel anything from it. It will not surprise me if you end up here. The temp today is 20c so roughly 68f so not so bad.

We live just outside of Saint John NB (Canada). We get a lot of cruise ships in the port that are trying to get away from storms. We have been told that this storm will be going south of NS so we will not feel anything from it. It will not surprise me if you end up here. The temp today is 20c so roughly 68f so not so bad.

Thats not too bad!! Maybe we will see you in a few days!!

Live press conference in Bermuda right now...

From Ms Zuill, from BWS, : "this is like Fabian"

From Ms Zuill : "...expecting 27 hours of Tropical Storm Force winds, beginning Thursday evening, Hurricane force winds also expected"

There will be a video of the conference a little later on bernews.com

Prayers are with everyone in Bermuda for their safety as that's really all that matters & is first & foremost in my mind. It's almost unimaginable what they're going through right now what with Fay having hit them last Saturday, & now knowing what's coming on Friday with an almost guaranteed visit from Gonzalo. Maybe he'll change his mind & change course, & oh, I'm so praying that he does! We were just there on the Dawn over Labor Day, & the devastation that's sure to come on Friday to the the island & its inhabitants is overwhelming to think about. Our friend & tour guide who has lived on the island her entire life told me yesterday that everyone there is literally stunned, especially on top of the damage that occurred & power outages that are still in existence! It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for all of you scheduled to leave Boston on Friday as most likely, especially now with this press release, the ports will be closed. How you'll be able to dock on Sunday is yet to be seen, & depending on how bad the devastation really is, there may be no point even IF the docks are reopened by Sunday. NCL will have to make that decision by the time you leave Boston, & with Canada being the most likely choice, I hope y'all pack accordingly to be on the safe side! If I were on this cruise versus the one we were one the end of August, I sure would, & really feel for all of you since it looks like you won't have a clue where you're going until Friday. That would reaaaaaaaaaaaaally frustrate me not knowing, but with it being one of those things that noone has any control over, I wish all of you a safe & fun cruise to wherever you end up!

BERMUDA TOURISM AUTHORITY - HURRICANE GONZALO ADVISORY 1

The Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) is closely monitoring the progress of Hurricane Gonzalo and liaising with the Bermuda Hotel Association, L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA) and other authorities. The Bermuda Weather Service (BWS) is tracking Hurricane Gonzalo, which is expected to affect the island in the coming days.

Although hotels in Bermuda are fully prepared to accommodate guests under these circumstances, the BTA recommends all visitors proactively contact their airlines to determine what options are available because we expect the L.F. Wade International Airport to close as the storm approaches. The BTA is working with industry partners to request change fees are waived and asking them to ensure all possible courtesies to those affected are afforded.

Additionally, the BTA recommends visitors with plans to come to Bermuda in the next five (5) days consider postponing their travel until a later date. The Bermuda Hotel Association hurricane cancelation policy is now in effect.

L.F. Wade International Airport, the only airport in Bermuda, is continuing to operate with regular service and is working with airlines to accommodate extra flights in advance of the storm where possible.

The cruise ship ports in Bermuda are expected to close as the storm approaches. Cruise visitors should contact their cruise lines for specific information.

The BTA advises visitors and potential visitors to follow the progress of Hurricane Gonzalo closely on the Bermuda Weather Service or the U.S. National Weather Service website.

The BTA will continue to monitor the hurricane and will provide updates as the situation warrants. We also urge you to follow Bermuda's Department of Communication & Information on Twitter and Facebook for the latest on advisories and closures.

I called my PCC this morning, he said to keep checking NCL's website for an update and he did say that they would be sending out emails....

I keep checking their site and RCCL (the explorer is due in Bermuda on MOnday) please post updates!! thanks

I keep checking their site and RCCL (the explorer is due in Bermuda on MOnday) please post updates!! thanks

We think alike!! I have been checking RCCL, too!!

I will post the minute I hear anything!! I dont think I will cancel. I was just on the Dawn in May and if we go somewhere else, it will be an adventure for me.....Hopefully a warm adventure....

The cruise ship ports in Bermuda are expected to close as the storm approaches. Cruise visitors should contact their cruise lines for specific information.

[/b]

The BTA advises visitors and potential visitors to follow the progress of Hurricane Gonzalo closely on the Bermuda Weather Service or the U.S. National Weather Service website.

The BTA will continue to monitor the hurricane and will provide updates as the situation warrants. We also urge you to follow Bermuda's Department of Communication & Information on Twitter and Facebook for the latest on advisories and closures.

The strong winds are expected to last 27 hours ( as per BWS ) and start Thursday night. So the worst should be all gone by Saturday morning. The Dawn is expected at 11am on Sunday...unless the Dockyard is damaged and unless the crew can't access the Dockyard, the Dawn should dock Sunday.

I guess we will see soon...

Hope everyone is safe.

The strong winds are expected to last 27 hours ( as per BWS ) and start Thursday night. So the worst should be all gone by Saturday morning. The Dawn is expected at 11am on Sunday...unless the Dockyard is damaged and unless the crew can't access the Dockyard, the Dawn should dock Sunday.

I guess we will see soon...

Hope everyone is safe.

LOVE that positive thinking!!!! I just wonder if they would take two days to get there and arrive the same day as the Explorer

LOVE that positive thinking!!!! I just wonder if they would take two days to get there and arrive the same day as the Explorer

Not without shortening the stay in Bermuda by a day. Celebrity Infinity is scheduled to dock at Heritage Wharf on the 22nd at 9am.

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2014_Cruise_Ship_Schedule.pdf

When we were on the Jewel for Hurricane Sandy we were already in our hotel the night before when my DH phoned NCL and was told that the ship would be one of the last out of the port and the port would shut down right after we departed. We didn't find out our first port of call for sure until the next morning.

The next day was also when they told us that Stirrup Cay was too damaged for us to visit there, so we'd be spending extra time at the Bahamas.

If damage is extensive with no time to clean up, I would think they'd re-route you to the Bahamas. Even when we went to the Bahamas after Sandy they'd had a few days to clean up but there was still some very obvious damage there (though not enough to put a damper on our trip).

Oh, and BTW, as we were sailing south between the coast and Hurricane Sandy, we were travelling a nifty 23kts with the storm pushing us hard enough that we were doing a relative 28 kts or so.

Good luck!

Edited by Snowrose

My roommates and I are planning on taking the NCL Dawn from Boston to Bermuda well, I guess tomorrow now. When we called the travel agency on Wednesday, they said that most likely we would skirt the US coast, and do Florida/the Bahamas. They didn't say anything about going North.

So, we're stocking up on sea sickness medicine, and just gearing up for an adventure. It'll be our first cruise, and something to tell stories about, that's for sure.

We're planning to leave on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda tomorrow too -- my first cruise. For those of you who have some experience with sailing after (through?) a storm like this, how bad does the seasickness get in a situation like this? I've bought Dramamine. Should I get a prescription from my doctor for something stronger? If we end up going to Florida or the Bahamas will the rough seas still affect us?

Thanks, Experienced Ones!

We're planning to leave on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda tomorrow too -- my first cruise. For those of you who have some experience with sailing after (through?) a storm like this, how bad does the seasickness get in a situation like this? I've bought Dramamine. Should I get a prescription from my doctor for something stronger? If we end up going to Florida or the Bahamas will the rough seas still affect us?

Thanks, Experienced Ones!

Get the patch..

I refuse to pack for Canada...I will be the middle aged woman shivering by the pool if we do go north!! :eek:

Canada, especially New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, is hardly the frozen north that some folks seem to believe and if the storm turns eastward well south of those two provinces, cruising there might be a heck of a lot smoother than heading south towards either storm-stricken Bermuda or the more distant destination of the Bahamas.

Edited by negc

Greetings

Gonzalo is currently a cat 4 hurricane with winds of 140 mph. It is projected to pass right over Bermuda. The weather will probably be clear in Bermuda by Sunday/Monday, but a cat 4 storm doesn't pass through without leaving it's mark. It doesn't look promising for any cruise ship visits early next week.

Good Sailing

Tom