Just off the phone with NCL RE: HURRICANE GONZALO

bbryan5

That's the cruising spirit! :)

:cool:

This is my 8th cruise to Bermuda, I was just there in May.....

I feel so bad for the Bermudians, they have been hit pretty hard in the past!!

I also feel terrible for anyone on this cruise that has never been there!!

For me, I try to go with the flow!!:eek:

Seasickness is a funny thing. I have been on many cruises with many different people. Some people seem to be effected more than others, so you never know. For some people it is terrible and for others no problems, so I suggest being prepared, but don't perseverate on it.

Still looking forward to this cruise no matter where we are going.

Although we are not sailing on the dawn to Bermuda until next week, I have been closely monitoring this week's sailing. NCL posted this morning that they are "closely monitoring" the situation" but as of now, all sailings are as scheduled. It got me wondering about what is involved in changing an itinerary. I have to believe that it's easier with more advance notice, and it certainly would be the preference of those sailing to be able to plan (what to pack, cancel/book excursions, etc) before leaving home. So the question is, with a situation like a Cat. 3/4 hurricane making a direct hit within 24-36 hours of arrival...

WHAT'S THE REASON FOR THE DELAY?????:confused::confused::confused:

Some are saying Gonzalo looks to be a repeat of Hurricane Fabian (August 2003).

Fabian caused four deaths on Bermuda, downed 78% of the power lines and destroyed roofs all across the island. Some were without power for as long as three weeks. All in all, $300 million in damage.

Many Bermuda businesses will close around noon on Thursday and remain closed on Friday. The Royal Gazette will not print a Friday newspaper.

Belco reports 1,500 are still without power from tropical storm Fay last weekend.

Although we are not sailing on the dawn to Bermuda until next week, I have been closely monitoring this week's sailing. NCL posted this morning that they are "closely monitoring" the situation" but as of now, all sailings are as scheduled. It got me wondering about what is involved in changing an itinerary. I have to believe that it's easier with more advance notice, and it certainly would be the preference of those sailing to be able to plan (what to pack, cancel/book excursions, etc) before leaving home. So the question is, with a situation like a Cat. 3/4 hurricane making a direct hit within 24-36 hours of arrival...

There are a lot of logistical questions that have to be answered:(1) What is the Port of Bermuda saying? (2) If you have to change itineraries, what potential ports have space available on what dates (3) What is the weather going to be getting and from to a potential port? There are all kinds of things that have to be taken into consideration before they can make a decision.

The reason for the delay is they are not sure of the direct hit. Nobody is. If the island gets a glancing blow, it'll be business as usual. 30-40 miles to either side can make a big difference, and they simply won't know that until it hits.

The last thing they want to do is send everyone to Canada unnecessarily. Pack an extra sweatshirt to be sure (edit - oh wait, you said you were going next week - you should be fine unless it's catastrophic w/ power out for weeks/etc.)

Edited by Mr Owl

If the ship isn't going to Bermuda this week it will almost certainly be going to Florida/Bahamas, so packing isn't going to be an issue...the same clothes will work for both itineraries. It's unlikely the ship will be going to Canada, because that would require it to sail in the same general direction as the storm will be headed after it hits Bermuda.

They have to arrange for docking privileges at alternate ports if the itinerary is going to change. That takes some time...but they won't change itineraries unless they absolutely have to so I suspect they will head in a general southerly direction down the East Coast until they get word from the authorities in Bermuda as to whether docking there will be feasible. If not they'll head toward FL/Bahamas.

It's a timing issue... the storm will be hitting Bermuda on the same day the ship will be leaving Boston so they may not have have the necessary information in hand prior to the ship's departure. If the storm was going to hit Bermuda earlier the decision could be made earlier.

Edited by njhorseman

If the ship isn't going to Bermuda this week it will almost certainly be going to Florida/Bahamas, so packing isn't going to be an issue...the same clothes will work for both itineraries. It's unlikely the ship will be going to Canada, because that would require it to sail in the same general direction as the storm will be headed after it hits Bermuda.

I've heard of lots of these going north in the case of a storm.

The storm is predicted to be pretty far out from the coast. While they can't predict the exact path it'll take, they are really good in a "general idea" sense. From what I can see, it looks like a Canada jaunt is very do-able. Since it's leaving from Boston, and those ports are sure to be fairly empty, my money would be on a Canada trip if Bermuda was impossible.

I've heard of lots of these going north in the case of a storm.

The storm is predicted to be pretty far out from the coast. While they can't predict the exact path it'll take, they are really good in a "general idea" sense. From what I can see, it looks like a Canada jaunt is very do-able. Since it's leaving from Boston, and those ports are sure to be fairly empty, my money would be on a Canada trip if Bermuda was impossible.

Yes, some have gone to Canada in the past, but even though the storm is not projected to hit Atlantic Canada, the path will make for high winds and rough seas for a ship headed in that direction. From a passenger safety and comfort perspective, FL/Bahamas makes far more sense for this sailing. If you look at the "Mariners' 1-2-3 Rule" map in the link below, you'll see that sailing to Atlantic Canada would put the ship in the danger zone.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/145047.shtml?basin?large#contents

Also from a logistical perspective, sailing south from Boston will allow them to do either the Bermuda or Bahamas itineraries. If the damage isn't too bad in Bermuda they can still head there. If the ship sails north they'll lose that option.

Edited by njhorseman

I'm in Bermuda and I can tell you we won't know anything until it actually hits. It might do a lot of damage or it might not, no one really knows. The Dawn is scheduled to arrive on Sunday so that is still plenty if Bermuda is able to accept the ship. I believe the best thing to do is take one day at a time and just go with the flow. Just think, I'll be cleaning up while you're on a cruise and on vacation.

I don't think Norwegian will announce a change to the Norwegian Dawn's itin until Sat (if there is one) because the hurricane is scheduled to hit prior to the ships arrival but I could be wrong. Prior to sailing tomorow Norwegian could provide cruises with a new itin but knew knows what corporate is thinking. Anyway on Saturday or Sunday Norwegian will be provided an update regardless and if it is safe to visit Bermuda.

Now I'll just speak on the other side of things. If the hurricane was scheduled to hit while the vessel is in port (Sun/Mon/Tues) I could see Norwegian advising an altered itin by now or tomorrow (as the ship begins its voyage). With all this said I see the vessel heading to Bermuda and on Sat if the vessel can't visit a new routing would be announced. Again this is just my opinion.

As I mentioned before, just think I'll be picking up branches and raking leaves while you're on a cruise. Plus, if you don't get to visit Bermuda this time you can always visit us another time. We have to live with the damage and those who went through Sandy truly know what I mean when I say this.

Edited by ComeOnLetsGo

I'm in Bermuda and I can tell you we won't know anything until it actually hits. It might do a lot of damage or it might not, no one really knows. The Dawn is scheduled to arrive on Sunday so that is still plenty if Bermuda is able to accept the ship. I believe the best thing to do is take one day at a time and just go with the flow. Just think, I'll be cleaning up while you're on a cruise and on vacation.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Please know that our best wishes are with you and all those in Bermuda. I hope I get to visit your beautiful island next week.

Bermuda is mine and my wife's favorite vacation spot in the world. It was also where we went on our honeymoon and took our first cruise to. We absolutely love the people, the beaches, the houses, the friendliness, and the itinery the cruise ships run there. We even call Bermuda "our island" despite taking cruises and trips to many others over the years.

As someone who went thru Sandy here in NY, which will pale in comparasion to the storm about to hit you guys, can only hope that everyone stays safe and it deviates from the course so you don't take a full hit. Good luck to you and everyone and we hope to visit "our island" again soon.

We're planning to leave on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda tomorrow too -- my first cruise. For those of you who have some experience with sailing after (through?) a storm like this, how bad does the seasickness get in a situation like this? I've bought Dramamine. Should I get a prescription from my doctor for something stronger? If we end up going to Florida or the Bahamas will the rough seas still affect us?

Thanks, Experienced Ones!

Gonzalo is a LOT further out than Sandy was, so your waves shouldn't be anywhere near what we went through. We had a few that were reaching for 40 feet, around 1-2 AM the first night - and then all of a sudden they were gone, like magic.

I'm guessing you'll have waves around 15-20 feet, which isn't all that unusual on a cruise. I would suggest either the patch or some Dramamine - and don't eat anywhere where you can look out the windows! That's the one thing that almost did me in, watching the horizon moving.

I made it through Sandy with only a quarter of a Dramamine every few hours even though I'm not great when it comes to motion sickness. Some folks may need more.

If you still want to go, you could, but I'd take a submarine ;)

Any day at sea is better than any day on land. Make the best of it. We are. I leave in 7 days.

Bonnie

I like your style! Although I have to be honest and admit I've never actually read the "fine print" in the cruise contract, I'm pretty sure that the itinerary can change at NCL's discretion.

Looking forward to meeting you on board next week.

margi