Just off the phone with NCL RE: HURRICANE GONZALO

bbryan5

But......I signed up for a cruise to Bermuda

OMG. I never comment on these things but come on. If you book a cruise in hurricane season this CAN happen! I have been diverted due to storms. I am also sailing this weekend on the Gem and was fully prepared to have an itinerary change if necessary. It's not ideal but it's what can and does happen this time of year. Please book January-June if you cannot accept this.

It is not so much as to if the ship can dock.... I would imagine that the local officials do not want a slew of cruise passengers coming to their island while they are trying to clean up downed trees and power lines depends on damage on the island once the hurricane leaves. Last weeks storm left most of the island without power.... people u want to go to an island with this kind of damage??? Look at the pictures of what a hurricane can do...

OMG. I never comment on these things but come on. If you book a cruise in hurricane season this CAN happen! I have been diverted due to storms. I am also sailing this weekend on the Gem and was fully prepared to have an itinerary change if necessary. It's not ideal but it's what can and does happen this time of year. Please book January-June if you cannot accept this.

I would consider someone with that midset as selfish and I wouldn't even entertain such.

Also I would like to see this same person say those same words to someone who may loose a roof, house etc because of the hurricane.

Come on people, let's think of the bigger picture and let's remove that word - 'self.'

Of course I didn't get travel insurance when I could have possibly used it, but then I did a lil research.... Information found on InsureMyTrip:

HURRICANES AND OTHER INCLEMENT WEATHER

Cruise ships are obviously especially vulnerable to the effects of hurricanes or other severe weather. While travel insurance will not offer you any coverage if your cruise goes off as scheduled, but misses a few ports of call or has to re-route entirely due to bad weather, it can cover you if the cruise is cancelled or cut short. There are also important travel insurance benefits available that are related to bad weather that occurs at your home, or which impacts any portion of your trip, including air travel.

Hope Bermuda is spared more damage, but if not, looks like Bahamas here we come on the Explorer of the Seas.

I would consider someone with that midset as selfish and I wouldn't even entertain such.

Also I would like to see this same person say those same words to someone who may loose a roof, house etc because of the hurricane.

Come on people, let's think of the bigger picture and let's remove that word - 'self.'

Stay safe! Wishing you and your friends and family best of luck through this storm. I know what Sandy was like for the Island I live on, and it wasn't even a direct hit.... I will keep your island in my thoughts!

You stay safe! Please let us know (even if some of us can't check this until we get back) how you fared the storm.

I don't think Norwegian will announce a change to the Norwegian Dawn's itin until Sat (if there is one) because the hurricane is scheduled to hit prior to the ships arrival but I could be wrong. Prior to sailing tomorow Norwegian could provide cruises with a new itin but knew knows what corporate is thinking. Anyway on Saturday or Sunday Norwegian will be provided an update regardless and if it is safe to visit Bermuda.

Now I'll just speak on the other side of things. If the hurricane was scheduled to hit while the vessel is in port (Sun/Mon/Tues) I could see Norwegian advising an altered itin by now or tomorrow (as the ship begins its voyage). With all this said I see the vessel heading to Bermuda and on Sat if the vessel can't visit a new routing would be announced. Again this is just my opinion.

As I mentioned before, just think I'll be picking up branches and raking leaves while you're on a cruise. Plus, if you don't get to visit Bermuda this time you can always visit us another time. We have to live with the damage and those who went through Sandy truly know what I mean when I say this.

Praying for everyone in Bermuda! Your post really put things in perspective. Thank you so much.

Sorry that you all misunderstood my question. I was merely asking if you booked your cruise not for the ship but destination would it be a reason to cancel without penalty.

Years ago when NCL first started sailing out of Boston they offered free hurricane insurance. It was your choice whether to set sail or not and rebook. THAT WAS MY POINT!

Do they still offer that.

And for the person who suggested that I sail during non-hurricane months, FYI - June 1st is the official start of hurricane season. So basically the Dawn sails the entire season with the exception of May.

I am done with these boards.

Sorry that you all misunderstood my question. I was merely asking if you booked your cruise not for the ship but destination would it be a reason to cancel without penalty.

Years ago when NCL first started sailing out of Boston they offered free hurricane insurance. It was your choice whether to set sail or not and rebook. THAT WAS MY POINT!

Do they still offer that.

And for the person who suggested that I sail during non-hurricane months, FYI - June 1st is the official start of hurricane season. So basically the Dawn sails the entire season with the exception of May.

I am done with these boards.

No, you can't cancel and get a refund.

Hi all, I'm just skulking here, as I'm on the Explorer heading to Bermuda tomorrow and observing all the speculation (and speculating myself). I really appreciate the input from ComeOnLetsGo and said (on the Explorer 10/18 roll call) that I thought if we make it to Bermuda we should go help ComeOnLetsGo clean up his/her yard! I really wish the best to you all and hope to see you soon. Our vacation is a trivial matter compared to what our Bermudian friends will be experiencing. The last thing I want it is to be a camera carrying tourist while the fine people of Bermuda are coming out of a major storm. That's kind of sterotypical Americanish you know?

On the other hand if we do make it, will we be allowed to help with the recovery effort? Not likely, as that would be a massive undertaking of moving people around to the areas that need them. I predict that the ships will arrive in port (The NCL might have to be a day late) but transportation will be suspended and we will essentially be confined to the dockyard or even the ship.

/ron

But......I signed up for a cruise to Bermuda

You signed up for a cruise that is supposed to go to Bermuda, but if you have any travel experience, especially regarding cruising in hurricane season (June 1-November 30) you should understand that there are no guarantees regarding the weather and the possibility of your ultimate itinerary and destination are always subject to change.

Believe me, you don't want the ship to sail directly into the path of a tropical storm just because that is what you signed up for. Fortunately no line will put its passengers, crew or ship in harm's way. Even if the storm has passed by the time the ship is scheduled to arrive in Bermuda, conditions on the island may be such that you wouldn't be able to enjoy much of your time on the island. It may be disappointing to miss Bermuda, if that is what happens, but it is the price you may have to pay for sailing at this time of year..

What if worse case scenario was to divert to Canada.

Say I dont want to go to Canada - am I going to be penalized for cancelling?

More than likely, the ship will be diverted to the Bahamas, if Bermuda is off of the table.

They said on this morning's news that Halifax NS, might be effected on Sunday.

Maybe we all can see if there is a way to help Bermudians through donations or other.

I got it from a very reliable source this morning that The Dawn will be going to Nassau, Bahamas and to Great Stirrup Caye (Norwegian's private island).

Best best for donations to help in the Bermuda recovery (for me anyway) would be The Red Cross. I have a friend who is a Red Cross Disaster Relief worker who is leaving today for Bermuda.