Princess Stock

Gee I wish I had found this conversation when it started....had been thinking about shares in Carnival but had no idea where to begin...now the shares are around $53...it's a scary prospect thinking about setting up a trading account....by what I can gather Etrade seems to be the popular one and not Commsec.....my thinking also is that the cruising industry is just getting to be so popular that it's hard to see the industry 'crashing' but not sure if that's just me thinking that way or if I'm on the 'right track' as such. Any suggestions or ideas?

Kerri

Gee I wish I had found this conversation when it started....had been thinking about shares in Carnival but had no idea where to begin...now the shares are around $53...it's a scary prospect thinking about setting up a trading account....by what I can gather Etrade seems to be the popular one and not Commsec.....my thinking also is that the cruising industry is just getting to be so popular that it's hard to see the industry 'crashing' but not sure if that's just me thinking that way or if I'm on the 'right track' as such. Any suggestions or ideas?

Kerri

We have the E-trade account, it takes some time to set up. I suggest you only invest in shares that you feel will give you the best returns for the least amount of risk. That said, the Carnival shares offer a certain level of stability with a reasonable return and the added bonuses if you cruise. Note that this can change at any time though and it is a hefty amount to invest for just the OBC.

I bought our shares for AUD$34-35 a few years ago and had the same thoughts you did. They are now worth US$50, which is equates to about AUD$70. Add to that the dividends I have received twice per year and doing anything between 4-8 Carnival Corp cruises per year and we have received a great return on our initial outlay. I know people who purchased them under $20!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Mick........the decision lays with you as it is your money. If you feel comfortable with investing your money in Carnival shares, go for it. If you do a lot of cruising with carnival Corp ships, the OBC you get is an extra bonus that you would not normally get from an investment. For us, we would get between $600-$1000 per year in OBC, depending on the length of cruises we do.

I bought our shares through a trader. It was easy....they placed the order in the afternoon and I had the shares the next morning. They charge more than an E-Trade transaction, but they do everything. I think the cost was $100 plus GST for them to do it.

Good luck! 🚢🚢🚢

And deep jet lag! Just woke up after I was in deep sleep. Expecting a body to sleep at 9.30am and arriving at 6am local time is a killer.

It always seems worse going from West to East (coming home from Europe etc). Not so bad the other way. Take it easy for a few days - no important business decisions as they could be a bit unwise in retrospect! Sounds like a great trip though.

Do you think that you've got your money's worth out of your shares? I can never remember if it's cheaper fares, OBC or both??

It always seems worse going from West to East (coming home from Europe etc). Not so bad the other way. Take it easy for a few days - no important business decisions as they could be a bit unwise in retrospect! Sounds like a great trip though.

Do you think that you've got your money's worth out of your shares? I can never remember if it's cheaper fares, OBC or both??

Yep. They are currently $600 in profit from just a few weeks ago. They hardly fell yesterday when DJIA got slammed. It is OBC - received $250USD for our QM2 journey. Plus also with Princess and a few others.

Just finished the TR on the other site since you found me posting here. :p

Edited by Pushka

I have been looking at these myself over recent weeks. Financially I think they look ok as the sector is growing and they appear to be on a reasonable upward trend, then income wise when you combine the dividend and onboard credit it looks pretty good too.

Only issue stopping me at this stage is my next cruise is in 2 weeks (too late to get the OBC I think), and our next eligible cruise after that is in December 2016 but the OBC offer seems to expire in July 2016.

Agree about the direction of travel and the jet lag. I see the OBC as an added bonus on a investment.:D

I have been looking at these myself over recent weeks. Financially I think they look ok as the sector is growing and they appear to be on a reasonable upward trend, then income wise when you combine the dividend and onboard credit it looks pretty good too.

Only issue stopping me at this stage is my next cruise is in 2 weeks (too late to get the OBC I think), and our next eligible cruise after that is in December 2016 but the OBC offer seems to expire in July 2016.

That is correct, but then they may extend the option for another year at the AGM, as they have at the previous years' AGMs .

I'm pretty sure it's just the form that expires. I've been getting OBC at least twice a year since 2013 and the form I send in every time says it expired in 2012. Lol

The OBC requires approval at each years AGM. Cannot seeing it being voted down, but you never know.

The OBC requires approval at each years AGM. Cannot seeing it being voted down, but you never know.

Not so much about being voted down, but that management continue to propose and maintain the benefit.

For example, some years back RCL used to offer a similar deal, including combinability. However, management added restrictions to it removing most combinability. No voting involved.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a good day on the US share market last night (or ours today for that matter!!)

Carnival shares dropped 7.9% overnight but spare a thought for Royal Caribbean shares which dropped 15% overnight.....ouch!

Edited by Fletch1

Not a good day on the US share market last night (or ours today for that matter!!)

Carnival shares dropped 7.9% overnight but spare a thought for Royal Caribbean shares which dropped 15% overnight.....ouch!

Wonder why the cruise industry fell harder than DJIA? Any news out there?