All Open Seating in MDR (no "Fixed")

SilvertoGold

One thing I have noticed in the past few cruises is that HAL is telling pax to show up early (5:30ish) or later (8 pm) for Open seating, not anytime in between. Sounds a lot like Fixed, in that they are really having two seating times.

Even when this is not actually announced, we have been told by pax with Open dining time that they had tried to make reservations and been told to choose one of those two times. They tried walking in, only to be told that the DR was pretty much full until 8 pm.

I actually know a couple people that work in the Ship Services dept personally. The explanation they gave me is that it is better to slowly but surely confirm people to make sure they do not ever OVER confirm rather than just let a computer algorithm handle it and hope it doesn't over promise on something they can't accommodate.

That's understandable. HAL's technology is from 1994 so the Windows 95 has issues handling a few hundred reservation requests. ;)

Joking aside, I'm sure it's a technology issue and we all know HAL's technological footprint is about as poor as any line in existence.

And yet here I sit with a cruise confirmation 17 months in advance, still waiting to be assigned to late fixed seating. Waitlisted that far in advance doesn't sound like a dearth of people requesting fixed on HAL to me.

Please keep in mind that being assigned fixed seating does not mean that passengers actually want it nor does it mean that passengers actually respect it once on the ship. Some passengers may be assigned fixed seating by a TA who simply did not ask a dining preference. I would think that the goal would be to have passengers actually dine at their assigned time. If this is not happening, there is a problem.

We always try to sit at a table for six. I have never had a dining room meal take less than 2 hours whether it be fixed or open. Some meals end up being 2-1/2 hours if people linger over good conversation and coffee.

Dinner may take less than 2 hours for 2 tops but not the bigger tables.

The current Explore 4 is encouraging people to use the Pinnacle and Canaletto. Perhaps this is part of their struggle to solve the dining room service issue. Move people into other venues.

Yes, with the ships that have changed to the American Table/American Feast meal concepts. It's more family style which for most would typically mean less formality. Sure there are families out there that likely do tablecloths and fine china and crystal daily... but not the majority I would presume.

It isn't fleetwide and it's received mixed reviews so I think they are trying to decide how to move forward with the concept

I agree most working people do not dine with tablecloths, fine china and crystal daily and that is why many enjoy it when they go out and especially when they cruise. It is those treats and lovely touches that make vacation that much more special. The more ordinary the experience becomes the easier it is to forego it.

Edited by sail7seas

(bolded emphasis mine)

This is no longer true. The vast majority of cruisers prefer open seating. Even on HAL the desire for "anytime" far exceeds the set times and HAL as we know is one of the most traditional lines afloat.

I believe Cunard is the only line that does not offer anytime. NCL, RCCL, Azamara, Oceania, Seabourne (iirc) all are open seating. Crystal even now offers open dining and rumors there are it'll go completely open when a new ship is built (it's not possible with their current ship structure).

Is your highlighted comment "fact" or your opinion? I ask because that is not what we were told on our last two cruises.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Please keep in mind that being assigned fixed seating does not mean that passengers actually want it nor does it mean that passengers actually respect it once on the ship. Some passengers may be assigned fixed seating by a TA who simply did not ask a dining preference. I would think that the goal would be to have passengers actually dine at their assigned time. If this is not happening, there is a problem.

I agree about people being assigned fixed by a TA but not using it. It happened to us. We had a 6 top ocean view aft for 2 of us for our entire cruise a few years ago. I think a TA had assigned a family of four who preferred to eat in the Lido.

Of course, and this may not always be the case, if you are put at a table with folks you don't know and hit it off wonderfully you may all wish to eat together many of the nights anyway - and if you end up at a table with people you can't stand you're under no obligation to ever repeat that experience.

I'm not Pearle Mesta; I have no desire to be arranging dinner parties every night. That's HAL's job.

With fixed seating I can change tables if I don't care for my tablemates, and don't have to worry about it happening again for the remainder of the cruise.

Plus, and I may be incorrect, I believe you can tell the maitre d if youeither a) want to sit with others or b) prefer not to and just have a table to yourself.

What I want is to share a table with the same people every night. Fixed seating gives me that; open seating does not. Pure & simple.

When you've sailed solo as many nights as I have, on cruises as long as mine are, and been at both fixed and open seating---then talk to me again about how it is. Until then, you don't know.

Edited by RuthC

Yes, with the ships that have changed to the American Table/American Feast meal concepts. It's more family style which for most would typically mean less formality. Sure there are families out there that likely do tablecloths and fine china and crystal daily... but not the majority I would presume.

It isn't fleetwide and it's received mixed reviews so I think they are trying to decide how to move forward with the concept

I do not want to eat family style on a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm saddened and concerned by this rumor (as too many rumors have had a way of coming to fruition). If HAL were to eliminate fixed seating it would mean the end of my solo cruising on this line.

Now, if I were sailing with friends we can make our own table, and go to dinner together. But alone? I do not wish to be seated with a brand new group of people every night over the course of a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to dining alone at home most nights. When I cruise I love the treat of having the same tablemates. Having people I get to know, and to share the details of the day, is something I miss at home---and won't give up when I cruise.

Ruth, as a solo cruiser I was concerned about the same thing on a cruise where I was put into "anytime" dining. But, I found that within a few days I had become part of group who normally ate at the same time and we simply met up and asked for a table for however many of us were there. Sometimes we reserved a table for the next night, but honestly, we got along fine without doing it most nights. And, it worked well.... if you were not there at the agreed on time the others went on without you... no need to let anyone know.

I can go either way on fixed for vs. anytime.... both have their strong points. On port intensive cruises I like the flexibility.

Susan

I do not want to eat family style on a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if I should have necessarily used that term. Here is part of an article that covers what Carnival did:

American TABLE

Cruise Casual nights will form the backdrop for American TABLE. Changing menus each evening are designed to recreate a “modern American restaurant experience.” Appetizers, entrée and desserts will include familiar regional and contemporary classics.

New place settings, menus, table décor and serving style are also part of the changes. Meals will begin with a cocktail menu that includes specialties such as a Raspberry Mojito, Carnival Cosmo and the Sunset Serenity. Guests may also select featured wines by the glass or a wine menu available by glass and bottle. An appetizer menu includes selections that can be served family style for the table.

“The good news is you don’t have to share. You can order for yourself. Have a great yummy appetizer that is just for you. But you can also order for the table, which is a popular option in a lot of restaurants these days,” said Tamis.

Soup and salad options are available. And special selections dubbed “Rare Finds” will appear on the menu each night. They’ll include items such as Spicy Alligator Fritters, Frog Legs Provencal with Herb Butter and Sesame Crusted Shark for more adventurous diners.

American TABLE entrees include pasta dishes such as Ratatouille Lasagna with Goat Cheese. Poultry selections include Free Range Chicken with Salsa Verde and Charred Lemon or Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Breast with Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa. Meat and seafood favorites include Seared Tilapia with Capers and Parsley or Rosemary Braised Lamb Shank.

Additionally, “Port of Call” selections will reflect the ship’s itinerary. Examples include these dishes inspired by St. Thomas, USVI: Tropical Salad of Ripe Mango, Spicy Grilled Chicken Strips, Crispy Carrots and Red and Green Peppers on a Bed of Fresh Greens Drizzled with Tangy Raspberry Vinaigrette, and Island Chicken Curry with Potato Crisps and Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney. Similarly, selections for the port of Cozumel include the Ultimate Margarita, Tortilla Soup with Braised Chicken and Steak Tacos with Tomatillo-Cilantro and Avocado-Arbol Chile.

Each evening, guests may also select “From the Grill” entrees such as Pork Chop with Caramelized Onions and Stewed Apple. Past guests will also be happy to know that Carnival staples such as Flat Iron Steak with Pepper and Herbs, and Veal Parmigiana with Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce will remain on the menu.

Just as in a restaurant, guests can order side dishes separately. Options include Mac ‘N Cheese with Bacon, Grilled Vegetables, Fragrant Basmati Pilaf and Whipped Yukon Potatoes. A special dessert menu includes options such as S’Mores Parfait, Warm Date and Fig Pudding and Nutella Tiramisu, as well as a divine pie of the day option served whole for the table and a la mode. A variety of featured after-dinner drinks and coffees will also be available.

American FEAST

The second new dining concept, American FEAST is reserved for Cruise Elegant nights. On most cruises, that means guests can enjoy this special occasion dining experience once or twice. American FEAST menus describe the dining concept as “celebrating delicious food and new friends on the high seas.”

With an emphasis on elegant celebration, American FEAST courses are served table-side. Menus include appetizers such as Braised Kale Blackened Port Tenderloin in Citrus Cream, Mojito Cured Salmon with Minted Cucumber Slaw, and Crispy Crab and Corn Fritters with Pineapple, Coconut and Cilantro Salsa. Pasta is served as the second course. And a selection of entrees follows. Dishes include Slow Cooked Prime Rib, Broiled Maine Lobster and Miso Marinated Salmon Filet.

For dessert, selections include Malted Chocolate Mousse with Hazelnut Cake, Sticky Toffee Brioche with Whipped Crème Fraiche, Chocolate Nib Crunch, Toasted Coconut-Lime and Strawberry Compote.

Carnival’s Tamis makes it clear that guests needn’t worry about being under-fed with the two new concepts. The line hasn’t forgotten that many passengers enjoy ordering different items from the menu on a “no limit” basis. “Nothing is changing. You can order one entrée. You can order another. You can order as much or as little as you want with American FEAST and American TABLE,” said Tamis.

He also makes it clear that another iconic Carnival tradition isn’t going away: dining room entertainment, courtesy of the serving staff. “Waiters will still have time to do their dances and parades. Our waiters and servers love to perform. That will absolutely stay,” said Tamis.

I agree most working people do not dine with tablecloths, fine china and crystal daily and that is why many enjoy it when they go out and especially when they cruise. It is those treats and lovely touches that make vacation that much more special. The more ordinary the experience becomes the easier it is to forego it.

We were also speaking of a line though that is much more casual and more about fun than about elegance. :D

I'm not Pearle Mesta; I have no desire to be arranging dinner parties every night. That's HAL's job.

With fixed seating I can change tables if I don't care for my tablemates, and don't have to worry about it happening again for the remainder of the cruise.

You possibly also run the risk of what if they can't find another FIXED dining scenario that has a spot for one. I imagine it unlikely but what would you do in that instance? No different that what I mentioned in my original reply with regard to open dining.

What I want is to share a table with the same people every night. Fixed seating gives me that; open seating does not. Pure & simple.

Not entirely or exclusively. You may be sat with several couples or singles. You may be sat with one pre-existing group. What if they spend a few days checking out the other dining options? Fixed dining only gives you what you mention "every night" if people are 100% in the main dining room "every night" so again - what about those nights where the others do Canaletto or Pinnacle Grill, or the Chef's Table or Le Cirque?

When you've sailed solo as many nights as I have, on cruises as long as mine are, and been at both fixed and open seating---then talk to me again about how it is. Until then, you don't know.

As for your last bit, I did nothing more than address work-arounds that your post seemed to in part imply did not exist. Everyone has their preferences and no one likes to have to go with a Plan B or Plan C and so on, but it's not a helpless scenario where without fixed dining we could cut to poor RuthC sitting in her room all alone with room service because there was no other opportunity for her to have the company of others.

And yes, that example is a little over the top, but I feel your last bit to me, when I don't presume to know PRECISELY what it's like to cruise alone - was a bit over the top as well. You reply as though offense was taken and at no point was any intended.

And as there is some sarcasm and "tone" in this reply, just to cover my tail on this post I'll end as another always does when they reply in a similar fashion...

IMO...

Edited by InTheWASide

We have always chosen fixed dining, and table for two....and we even have a favorite table location...Hence, I'm sure we would not be happy with open dining only.....We like the idea of getting to know the waiters so well over the cruising days. What would this do,to the extra tips that most of us give to our great waiters..?

They don't have to be nor did I ever infer that. But Carnival certainly does not position itself in the industry as the line of tradition and elegance. Of this I have no doubt you are already aware

For as long as Carnival has sailed, they used table cloths and didn't have guests pass around the bowl of whipped potatoes. Carnival thought itself worthy of setting attractive tables and serving their guests dinner rather than strangers having to pass the bowl of spaghetti. :rolleyes:

It seems the cruise line is sending a message they think less of themselves.

I'm saddened and concerned by this rumor (as too many rumors have had a way of coming to fruition). If HAL were to eliminate fixed seating it would mean the end of my solo cruising on this line.

Now, if I were sailing with friends we can make our own table, and go to dinner together. But alone? I do not wish to be seated with a brand new group of people every night over the course of a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to dining alone at home most nights. When I cruise I love the treat of having the same tablemates. Having people I get to know, and to share the details of the day, is something I miss at home---and won't give up when I cruise.

For us, too, dinner with the same group nightly is (usually) a highlight :) DH and I spend enough time together; cruising gives us an opportunity to enjoy the company of others, get to know others, share conversations etc. Open dining doesn't provide that same opportunity IME.

When it is suggested (as happens in every open vs fixed dining thread) that if you find a group you enjoy, you (general you, not specific you) should just make arrangements to continue dining with that group, I literally roll my eyes. That is a lot like WORK, and requires the buy-in of all the guests at the table. And someone to organize it, act as the "event coordinator". There are many reasons that organizing a group of pretty-much-strangers to meet for dinner every night isn't a terribly viable option.

Not sure if I should have necessarily used that term. Here is part of an article that covers what Carnival did:

American TABLE

Cruise Casual nights will form the backdrop for American TABLE. Changing menus each evening are designed to recreate a “modern American restaurant experience.” Appetizers, entrée and desserts will include familiar regional and contemporary classics.

New place settings, menus, table décor and serving style are also part of the changes. Meals will begin with a cocktail menu that includes specialties such as a Raspberry Mojito, Carnival Cosmo and the Sunset Serenity. Guests may also select featured wines by the glass or a wine menu available by glass and bottle. An appetizer menu includes selections that can be served family style for the table.

“The good news is you don’t have to share. You can order for yourself. Have a great yummy appetizer that is just for you. But you can also order for the table, which is a popular option in a lot of restaurants these days,” said Tamis.

Soup and salad options are available. And special selections dubbed “Rare Finds” will appear on the menu each night. They’ll include items such as Spicy Alligator Fritters, Frog Legs Provencal with Herb Butter and Sesame Crusted Shark for more adventurous diners.

American TABLE entrees include pasta dishes such as Ratatouille Lasagna with Goat Cheese. Poultry selections include Free Range Chicken with Salsa Verde and Charred Lemon or Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Breast with Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa. Meat and seafood favorites include Seared Tilapia with Capers and Parsley or Rosemary Braised Lamb Shank.

Additionally, “Port of Call” selections will reflect the ship’s itinerary. Examples include these dishes inspired by St. Thomas, USVI: Tropical Salad of Ripe Mango, Spicy Grilled Chicken Strips, Crispy Carrots and Red and Green Peppers on a Bed of Fresh Greens Drizzled with Tangy Raspberry Vinaigrette, and Island Chicken Curry with Potato Crisps and Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney. Similarly, selections for the port of Cozumel include the Ultimate Margarita, Tortilla Soup with Braised Chicken and Steak Tacos with Tomatillo-Cilantro and Avocado-Arbol Chile.

Each evening, guests may also select “From the Grill” entrees such as Pork Chop with Caramelized Onions and Stewed Apple. Past guests will also be happy to know that Carnival staples such as Flat Iron Steak with Pepper and Herbs, and Veal Parmigiana with Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce will remain on the menu.

Just as in a restaurant, guests can order side dishes separately. Options include Mac ‘N Cheese with Bacon, Grilled Vegetables, Fragrant Basmati Pilaf and Whipped Yukon Potatoes. A special dessert menu includes options such as S’Mores Parfait, Warm Date and Fig Pudding and Nutella Tiramisu, as well as a divine pie of the day option served whole for the table and a la mode. A variety of featured after-dinner drinks and coffees will also be available.

American FEAST

The second new dining concept, American FEAST is reserved for Cruise Elegant nights. On most cruises, that means guests can enjoy this special occasion dining experience once or twice. American FEAST menus describe the dining concept as “celebrating delicious food and new friends on the high seas.”

With an emphasis on elegant celebration, American FEAST courses are served table-side. Menus include appetizers such as Braised Kale Blackened Port Tenderloin in Citrus Cream, Mojito Cured Salmon with Minted Cucumber Slaw, and Crispy Crab and Corn Fritters with Pineapple, Coconut and Cilantro Salsa. Pasta is served as the second course. And a selection of entrees follows. Dishes include Slow Cooked Prime Rib, Broiled Maine Lobster and Miso Marinated Salmon Filet.

For dessert, selections include Malted Chocolate Mousse with Hazelnut Cake, Sticky Toffee Brioche with Whipped Crème Fraiche, Chocolate Nib Crunch, Toasted Coconut-Lime and Strawberry Compote.

Carnival’s Tamis makes it clear that guests needn’t worry about being under-fed with the two new concepts. The line hasn’t forgotten that many passengers enjoy ordering different items from the menu on a “no limit” basis. “Nothing is changing. You can order one entrée. You can order another. You can order as much or as little as you want with American FEAST and American TABLE,” said Tamis.

He also makes it clear that another iconic Carnival tradition isn’t going away: dining room entertainment, courtesy of the serving staff. “Waiters will still have time to do their dances and parades. Our waiters and servers love to perform. That will absolutely stay,” said Tamis.

I am just wondering if Carnival has tables for two, or just larger ones.

I know, it makes no sense. But I have been told the waitlist so far out is essentially BS corporate stuff as they try to already push guests to anytime seating.

I'm not saying there isn't a devout group for late seating - it's what we prefer and have had the past few cruises - but the overwhelming industry trend is away from it to anytime.

Anytime dining can be great if implemented successfully. HAL's miserable attempts make this pretty sketchy.

Making a standing reservation at the same table for 7:30 is ideal for us and we've had that opportunity on a few lines. Same table, same waiters and at the exact precise time we want. If that's what HAL is doing, I think most will be content. But that requires them lifting that nonsensical "no reservations in the time most normal humans eat dinner" charade. :)

This is from the HAL website -

"From the Executive Office

Greetings,

For more than 140 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising, taking our guests to exotic destinations around the world. If you are looking for some of the most spacious and comfortable ships at sea, award-winning service, five star dining, extensive activities and enrichment programs and compelling worldwide itineraries, you've come to the right place. We are committed to our mission: through excellence, we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences, every time.

Today, Holland America Line's fleet of 15 elegant, mid-size ships offers more than 500 sailings a year visiting all seven continents. Cruises include both popular and less-traveled ports in the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Mexico, South America, the Panama Canal, Australia, New Zealand and Asia - as well as unique voyages to the Amazon, Antarctica and our extended Grand Voyages. Along with enticing destinations, we offer one-of-a-kind programs such as the Culinary Arts Center cooking demonstrations, Digital Workshop powered by Windows® and The Collections of Holland America Line - specially chosen shore excursions to further enhance our guests' appreciation and understanding of the places they visit.

Holland America Line has a long and proud history of delivering extraordinary vacation experiences, and with our ongoing $500-million Signature of Excellence® commitment, that experience is now better than ever. Signature of Excellence enhancements encompass virtually every area of our ships and range from new facilities and public spaces to added services and amenities.

Innovative programs and superior amenities have consistently placed us among the highest-rated premium cruise lines, earned us the prestigious Five Star Diamond Award from The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences and one of the highest rates of repeat guests in the industry. We are very proud of these achievements and look forward to exceeding guests' expectations in every aspect of our operation.

Holland America Line also continues to set new standards for environmental leadership. Through hard work and dedication, Holland America Line has earned its ISO 14001 certification. As the internationally recognized standard for environmental management, ISO 14001 encompasses virtually every aspect of our ships' operations. Our commitment to it demonstrates our belief that the safeguarding of our guests, crews, ships and the environment in which we live and operate is not only the right thing to do, it is essential to the successful conduct of our business.

As part of our collective social responsibility, the company, employees, and guests have joined together to give back to communities and organizations around the world. Through the Ship to Shelter program, Holland America Line collects valuable and reusable goods from ships for donation to charities serving people in need. Andon February 4, 2013 Holland America Line announced an exciting new onboard philanthropic program called “On Deck for a Cause™.” This noncompetitive 5K fundraising walk is held on every sailing and benefits six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom – the primary countries where our guests are from as well as our international homeports. Whether it's donating shipboard items to an orphanage, cleaning up a neighborhood park, or donating money to disaster relief, Holland America Line and its employees share time and resources to make a difference

Signature of Excellence is a promise from every Holland America Line employee to our guests - a commitment to provide a truly extraordinary experience and tremendous value. We invite you to experience our award-winning service, extraordinary accommodations, five star dining, entertaining onboard activities, and exotic destinations that can only be found on a cruise with Holland America Line. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Offering you my signature of excellence,

Stein Kruse

Chief Executive Officer, Holland America Group"

Notice the accolades Mr Kruse awards HAL based on 140 years - this has not been my experience. We first sailed HAL back in 1976 ...true luxury. We last sailed w/ them a couple of years agoAnd since Carnival Corp bought HAL (and other lines) we have given up on them completely. I guess we caught the tail end of true luxury cruising. And now it is a mass market vacation - a week on a cruise for $399?????

As far as dining......and this is entirely my opinion....I believe the industry will end up either being total luxury inclusive (@ say $500 pp per day) or all ala carte....your cabin for $ per day, meals, drinks, activities all additional cost. How else will corporations get more $$$$ out of the passengers?

Of course HAL is marketed as such...those poor souls on Carnival dream of the luxury.....

I agree. It takes me awhile to get to know people and enjoy the friendships made around the table. I have no desire to try to meet five oe more new people each night.

As for your last bit, I did nothing more than address work-arounds that your post seemed to in part imply did not exist.

I can't imagine why you would feel the need to present "work-arounds" that you presume would be agreeable to me when I had already present my own work-around: leaving HAL when I cruise solo.

Simple, easy, and takes no effort on my part. No need to come up with Plan B, or C, or D each night.

All "Open Seating" might actually generate more profit for HAL. With so many of the ship's guests standing in line trying to get their preferred time at their preferred table with their preferred tablemates there would be little time at the end of the fiasco for evening entertainment. HAL could save a lot of $$ on their entertainment budget. Watching the long MDR lines with everyone "hot under the collar" waiting would be the entertainment.

I can't imagine why you would feel the need to present "work-arounds" that you presume would be agreeable to me when I had already present my own work-around: leaving HAL when I cruise solo.

Simple, easy, and takes no effort on my part. No need to come up with Plan B, or C, or D each night.

That is a plan! I agree with your reasoning.