2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

All because idiots can't use their common sense and STAY HOME. Just like the dumb one who took a plane to Cleveland the day before symptoms started. If I was a worker in that hospital I would stay home out of courtesy for OTHERS. I just can't with these stupid people!!!!

The Dallas stations are reporting she informed the ship due to her temperature had changed. Still should never had boarded, period.

Her temperature has not changed, she did not self-inform. The CDC tracked her down after they decided everyone should go into quarantine. They should have told her not to travel in the first place, and quarantined people from the start, but there we go, lots of mistakes being made at the moment.

The fact is even if she does have ebola, which is unlikely, she is not yet showing any fever which means she is not contagious and if she is now quarantined to her room there should be no danger to anyone else on the ship, but travelling in such a way was a very stupid idea for a healthcare worker who had handled samples.

The Belize coast guard is not allowing the ship to dock or its passengers to disembark, although the unidentified woman is being monitored and has not shown symptoms, according to State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki. She was identified through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s effort to track everyone who came into contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who died Oct. 8 at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital after infecting at least two nurses who have been identified and are being treated.

"The employee has been self-monitoring, including daily temperature checks, since Oct. 6, and has not had a fever or demonstrated any symptoms of illness," Psaki said in a statement. "It has been 19 days since the passenger may have processed the since deceased patient’s fluid samples."

Edited by Athravan

What about the rest of the passengers that she came in contact with????? What will Carnival do about them? Then what about their families? This could be a scary situation.

I do not blame this health care worker. This is the responsibility of our government.

Symptoms or not. This is how it will be spread, by people not staying home and doing what they are supposed to. I blame our dumb government as well. The hospital should have told everyone that could have even had contact with anything to do with the idiot that came here to stay home until further notice!

Belize did the right thing by refusing the cruise ship. Better safe than sorry. Unfortunately our country doesn't think that way. We also have a lot of people who have no common sense at all that think it's ok to travel after being in direct contact with someone with Ebola and /or their specimens. Ridiculous .

I live in Ohio...40 minutes from Akron. Thank you for bringing the scare to Ohio and all the passengers that flew in both planes between Dallas and Cleveland. I'm sure the wedding shop you shopped at along with your bridesmaids are thrilled you came back also.

Like i said....a little common sense goes a long way.

What about the rest of the passengers that she came in contact with????? What will Carnival do about them? Then what about their families? This could be a scary situation.

I do not blame this health care worker. This is the responsibility of our government.

What do you mean "the rest of the passengers". The lab worker was not sick! As for the healthcare worker, why wasn't she at fault for causing this hiatus on the ship? She should not have gone out of sheer respect for others under this circumstance. Maybe she didn't want to lose her cruise fare;) I'm curious about when and why she divulged the information.

GUYS. You have NO IDEA when she started showing symptoms. We only know what the patient chooses to tell us. She could have been showing symptoms a week ago and chose to ignore them so she could board. The only person who knows what went on in her cabin/bathroom, and the public restroom areas for that matter, is HER.

Look at Amber Vinson. I live in Akron where she spent Oct. 8-13. At first, the news outlets were all saying, "NO WORRIES! She was having no symptoms on either flight, and started when she got back to Dallas." Then we find out she had a low grade fever when she boarded the second plane. And then of course now they are backtracking after interviewing her friends and family. People basically have ratted her out saying she was "feeling wierd" as far back as Oct. 9!!! Now she admits to having full blown symptoms on at least the second flight such as "Fever, muscle aches, malaise, and nausea."

If you guys believe for a second that this person wouldn't lie, and JUST NOW started showing symptoms, that's ridiculous. I definitely hope she doesn't have it but there is a reason she contacted authorities, and it's not because she's asymptomatic...

What are they going to do with the person/persons cleaning her toilet?...

Edited by jetta8300

These are my personal thoughts and I didn't start this thread to start arguments because I realize there are strong emotions on both sides and I realize that these hospital workers made sacrifices to help others and they ought to be commemorated for that.

1. Ground flights from West Africa. There are virtually no direct flights from West Africa to the US -- they almost always connect in Europe, so we need to work with the EU to quarantine any suspected cases.

2. We need to close our borders, particularly the southern border until the last Ebola case has played itself out. Ebola would be easy to spread if there were cases in South and Central America.

3. Enforce quarantines of suspected cases and have a third party monitor hospital workers instead of this self-monitoring which could go terribly wrong if someone is in denial about the disease.

4. Set up large isolation units in local hospitals, gather a group of doctors and nurses who are willing to work in the quarantine ward and therefore be quarantined themselves. An SOP for all hospitals needs to be created and enforced.

5. Finally we should continue to send aid and assistance to West Africa, utilizing chartered flights to minimize the impact of Ebola on the population when the aid workers return.

Some of these things may seem extreme and would undoubtedly interfere with our cruise addictions but these measures may become necessary if they aren't necessary already.

Thoughts? Rebuttals? I am open to hearing others' opinions and invite a dialogue.

I can agree with those points, nothing radical imo. I'm glad you put in #1 that there is no direct flights from west africa to america which emphasizes your point #2 and our countries BASIC need to have a secure southern border. A person could fly into mexico etc and inadvertently spread this disease to someone who then just walks across our southern border. I should add i'm in favor of comprehensive immigration reform(don't wanna get attacked to early in mornin lol)

"Carnival says the unnamed woman has been placed in isolation on the ship and has shown no signs of illness.

"At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection, and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples," Carnival says in a statement sent to USA TODAY. "She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk."

I am amazed by the total selfish lack of concern for others by people....

Unless she disobeyed instructions or recommendations by health officials I would not put any onus on her. If that is indeed the case I would blame the health officials for either not taking the proper precautions in the first place or doing the about face on the whole matter of monitoring those who had potential contact.

Belize did the right thing by refusing the cruise ship. Better safe than sorry. Unfortunately our country doesn't think that way. We also have a lot of people who have no common sense at all that think it's ok to travel after being in direct contact with someone with Ebola and /or their specimens. Ridiculous .

I live in Ohio...40 minutes from Akron. Thank you for bringing the scare to Ohio and all the passengers that flew in both planes between Dallas and Cleveland. I'm sure the wedding shop you shopped at along with your bridesmaids are thrilled you came back also.

Like i said....a little common sense goes a long way.

Ouch-harsh words towards somebody who didn't know she was ill and has less than 50% chance of surviving. Not sending any prayers her way, huh?

But I do think cruise lines, air travel, etc are all better safe than sorry.

As I understand it, the CDC notified Carnival that someone on the ship was among those that a travel ban had been instituted on. The passenger was likely self monitoring as she should have been, which is all that is expected of anyone who may have come in contact with the disease. Because she was already traveling, the CDC thought it prudent that she be returned to the US as quickly as possible.

For those who think she should have canceled her cruise because of this, I have to respectfully disagree with you. (shakes head). If you had any idea about what kinds of things you may be exposed to at any given time, you probably would never leave your house. People in the US handle dangerous biological materials in the US--meaning that they are potentially exposed to them. They are among you in your communities, flying with you on your planes, and cruising with you on your ships. The only thing that makes this really any different is that 1) news about ebola is a daily occurrence now, 2) people think they understand what's going on, but really don't, and 3) there has been transmission in the US of ebola to healthcare workers treating an infected patient. But believe me, it's a daily fact of life in the US whether or not it's in the news.

Creating panic is no way to handle the disease. This person handled body fluids and waste from the patient. So unless you plan to handle body fluids from a person there is no way you can get Ebola. But so many want to create panic or play politics. There is not one documented case of anyone catching Ebola other than handling body waste or body fluids. Until then I refuse to join the political panic bandwagon.

"Carnival says the unnamed woman has been placed in isolation on the ship and has shown no signs of illness.

"At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection, and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples," Carnival says in a statement sent to USA TODAY. "She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk."

You seriously believe them she has no symptoms? Look at my earlier post. Why would she choose NOW to tell someone, and not when she boarded??? Total bologna.

Remember you can adjust the DSC up as high as you like simply by visiting the Customer Service Desk. You do not have to provide a reason, you do not have to love your butler.

Was curious about this.

What does it mean?

I would think it will sail, maybe a little late as the crew "cleans" the ship. My thought would be if they close off their cabin for a cruise or two to cover themselves. If they do, someone might get a good upgrade.

That being said, yes, I'd cruise. I think you'll see more passengers using more self precautions.

We don't even know if she is positive yet. Hope she isn't

However if she is do you really think the crew can adequately clean the ship let alone her cabin?

Hazmat suits?

Proper training?

What about the dirty towels and rags?

Do some research on what they did with Duncan's cloth waste . Heard it was just piled in a corner for days

He certainly was in no condition to use a bed pan I would surmise.

Think about it

And no this is not an overreaction because the crew us not cleaning up after noro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

What do you mean "the rest of the passengers". The lab worker was not sick! As for the healthcare worker, why wasn't she at fault for causing this hiatus on the ship? She should not have gone out of sheer respect for others under this circumstance. Maybe she didn't want to lose her cruise fare;) I'm curious about when and why she divulged the information.

I mean "the rest of the passengers" I am sure she had contact with at least a portion of them. Will they now need to be quarintined??? If she wasn't showing any symptoms why should she cancel her cruise? Is she any more irresponsible than a government who allows people from infected countries to come into this country and risk infecting their own people?

And if she did have symptoms Carnival would post that?

Paranoia run rampant.

I'm sorry but it's not paranoia. This country is not ready for a major outbreak of Ebola. The 4 hospitals in this country that are specialized in handling ebola and have the isolation units to handle it are only so large and can only handle so many patients.

Other hospitals have proven they are not quite ready and are not properly trained yet and probably do not have the proper equipment to even handle an ebola patient at this time. I work at a hospital and they are still "discussing" what we will do. So I would hope that Carnival would be safe rather than sorry here.