Transatlantic Cruise question

Brewscruise

I have been on many cruises but am shortly to take my first transatlantic trip. Can anyone tell me how the cruiseline provide for the six straight sea days? During sea days in port intensive cruises the public rooms, dining rooms and buffet are very crowded. Are there any ways Celebrity help to lessen this, perhaps with making dining room times longer or providing activities later in the morning so not everyone scrambles for breakfast to get to them? I'm looking forward to a relaxing trip but don't want to have problems finding space all the time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Of course, a lot of the crowding on port-oriented cruises can be everyone wanting to get ready at once to disembark, or get out on deck for sun or special sights when you are cruising past.

Comparing sea days on port-type cruises, though, to sea days on TAs,I think you'll find fewer families on TAs, which means far fewer 3rd/4th occupants. It's fairly unusual to see more than a few kids. So my guess, even a full TA is "less full" than a full port type cruise.

We've done a lot of TAs, and I suspect people do more room service in the a.m. and go to the dining room for nice served breakfast and lunch. I've seen buffet seating get crowded at mid-point because some people sit and linger to chat with no urgency to go somewhere.

But there are plenty of things scheduled, and people relax on their balconies, go to movies, the spa, play cards, go to computer classes..I don't think you find an over-crowded atmosphere.

I hope you enjoy it. Long ocean cruises with many sea days in a row are my idea of heaven, and I often think, "Darn, we're in port tomorrow."

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We've never been on a TA, but did do a Los Angeles to Hawaii return cruise on Summit that had eight sea days: four going to Hawaii and four return. We did not find the ship crowded at all, and never had a problem getting loungers at the T-pool or seating in the buffet. We did notice a lot more people taking advantage of the MDR for breakfast and lunch on sea days, which helped lessen the crush in the buffet. There were also more activities and lectures than we had experienced on Caribbean itineraries, which would also help spread people out.

We've done two TAs on Celebrity and have never found the ship crowded except for the pool deck on a beautiful sunny day. The restaurants are no more crowded than usual, especially the buffet. You don't have a crush of people trying to eat breakfast before the ship docks. Some sleep in, some are up early in the gym. Same with lunch.

There will be plenty to keep you busy, but also lots of opportunities for reading, napping, visiting.

We've done two TAs on Celebrity and have never found the ship crowded except for the pool deck on a beautiful sunny day. The restaurants are no more crowded than usual, especially the buffet. You don't have a crush of people trying to eat breakfast before the ship docks. Some sleep in, some are up early in the gym. Same with lunch.

There will be plenty to keep you busy, but also lots of opportunities for reading, napping, visiting.

This is great information! Thank you!

Did you ever feel like any particular part of the ship was crowded at a certain time? I like going to the gym around the same time every day on my cruises, and I'm not an early riser on my vacation. I'll be sailing on Connie in April for a TA and I'm hoping (praying?) that it won't be busy at all. I've read some can be as low as 50% capacity!

I did a transatlantic a year ago. I never found the ship crowded on the sea days. Everyone was spread out. There was a lot to do, extra entertainment, specialty speakers etc. It was wonderful and very relaxing!

The only place that was crowded was the 'Special Buffet' but I believe that has now been stopped.

I'm not sure about the extra entertainment since the reduction of activity staff.

See post 66:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2113512&page=4

Edited by upwarduk

This is great information! Thank you!

Did you ever feel like any particular part of the ship was crowded at a certain time? I like going to the gym around the same time every day on my cruises, and I'm not an early riser on my vacation. I'll be sailing on Connie in April for a TA and I'm hoping (praying?) that it won't be busy at all. I've read some can be as low as 50% capacity!

The gym is usually busy in the morning, at least for the first few days, then people seem to disappear :).

The dining room can be busy when the doors open at lunch, and the buffet may be crowded when tea opens late afternoon. Martini bar will be busy late afternoon & evening, especially if you have a lot of elite level & above, or if at any people have drinks packages. We found that the pool bar was the quietest for late afternoon cocktails.

I have always found that the late afternoon is the best time to use the gym, Persian Garden and Thallosotherapy pool. In fact, on a cold day there's nothing like using those facilities while everyone is at early dinner. Super relaxing, and it's fun to float and look up at the dark sky!

The gym is usually busy in the morning, at least for the first few days, then people seem to disappear :).

The dining room can be busy when the doors open at lunch, and the buffet may be crowded when tea opens late afternoon. Martini bar will be busy late afternoon & evening, especially if you have a lot of elite level & above, or if at any people have drinks packages. We found that the pool bar was the quietest for late afternoon cocktails.

I have always found that the late afternoon is the best time to use the gym, Persian Garden and Thallosotherapy pool. In fact, on a cold day there's nothing like using those facilities while everyone is at early dinner. Super relaxing, and it's fun to float and look up at the dark sky!

I'm sailing in AquaClass so I get the Persian garden complimentary. Is the Thallosoyherapy pool included also? And if I get the drink packages, I can use them anywhere, correct? My fiancé and I have 6pm dinner the first night, but I was told I could go whenever to dinner after the first night. Is that correct also?

Thank you for any input!

thanks for these tips, we are on our first TA next year, very excited about it!:)

We haven't sailed on Summit or Connie in a few years. Thallosotherapy pool was/is available to anyone over 18. Persian Garden is included for those in Aqua Class, but if you aren't in Aqua Class you can buy passes by the day or week.

Drinks package can be used almost everywhere. On the S class ships you can't use the package in the Molecular Bar, but we've used the package everywhere else. Am not sure of limitations on M class - but you won't have trouble getting a drink ;)

If you're in Aqua Class you can eat whenever you like, but they kind of guide you on time the first night so they aren't overwhelmed. You can always choose to eat in Select Dining in the main dining room, in the buffet, via room service, or in specialty dining (additional charge). Aqua class often gets a coupon for a discount on specialty dining the first night.

Edited by JanineM

If you're in AQ, go to Blu whenever you want. The time you are given is only a suggested time, there is no pressure at all to conform to it. Occasionally, you hit a crowded time and will be given a beeper, but you can always go to the Ensemble Lounge which is close by or walk around a little. Blu is always open seating, all the time.

Re: beverage packages, the classic package can't be used in the Molecular Bar because all the cocktails served there are above the maximum price. If you have the premium package, the Molecular Bar is covered.

Edited by cynbar

I have been on many cruises but am shortly to take my first transatlantic trip. Can anyone tell me how the cruiseline provide for the six straight sea days? During sea days in port intensive cruises the public rooms, dining rooms and buffet are very crowded. Are there any ways Celebrity help to lessen this, perhaps with making dining room times longer or providing activities later in the morning so not everyone scrambles for breakfast to get to them? I'm looking forward to a relaxing trip but don't want to have problems finding space all the time. Thanks in advance for your help.

We have done 4 TA's and just love them. The Sea Days are my favorite. And there is so much going on. We are booked for a TA in November this year and November next year. We are addicted to them...Enjoy your Cruise. Once you take your first TA there is no going back...lol...

If you're in Aqua Class you can eat whenever you like, but they kind of guide you on time the first night so they aren't overwhelmed. You can always choose to eat in Select Dining in the main dining room, in the buffet, via room service, or in specialty dining (additional charge). Aqua class often gets a coupon for a discount on specialty dining the first night.

I don't believe that's correct. Select Dining may be at full capacity with those who have booked Select Dining. From what I have read on here, those booked in Aqua Class may be given permission to eat at Select Dining, but it's not guaranteed (nor should it be, given that some people get closed out of Select Dining who would have liked to have booked it rather than Early or Late Dining).

I don't believe that's correct. Select Dining may be at full capacity with those who have booked Select Dining. From what I have read on here, those booked in Aqua Class may be given permission to eat at Select Dining, but it's not guaranteed (nor should it be, given that some people get closed out of Select Dining who would have liked to have booked it rather than Early or Late Dining).

We have never been turned away from Select Dining. Now we have been told there is a wait, but never told 'NO'. Certainly others may have had other experiences.

We haven't sailed on Summit or Connie in a few years. Thallosotherapy pool was/is available to anyone over 18. Persian Garden is included for those in Aqua Class, but if you aren't in Aqua Class you can buy passes by the day or week.

Drinks package can be used almost everywhere. On the S class ships you can't use the package in the Molecular Bar, but we've used the package everywhere else. Am not sure of limitations on M class - but you won't have trouble getting a drink ;)

Molecular bar? That sounds intriguing! I'll prob have to splurge once if it's not included in the package :)

I've still not decided if the specialty restaurants are worth it. Definitely want to try the Tuscan grille but nothing else sounds too great...except I am a sucker for chocolate soufflé and noticed one restaurant has it!

Molecular bar? That sounds intriguing! I'll prob have to splurge once if it's not included in the package :)

I've still not decided if the specialty restaurants are worth it. Definitely want to try the Tuscan grille but nothing else sounds too great...except I am a sucker for chocolate soufflé and noticed one restaurant has it!

If you have the premium drink pkg., then Molecular bar is included, unless something changed in the last 9 months, if it did, I'm sure some super, super, super helpful poster will chime in. :D

P.S. Transatlantics are just the best! Enjoy!

Edited by cruise kitty
trouble posting