serenade cabin question

Due to another poster letting those know many had cancelled on our Nov 22 sailing out of NOLA we were able to move from 4044& 4048 large Oceanview to 7666 &7668 balcony cabins... WOOHOO :)! I have been doing the happy dance! Wondering besides the given that there is balcony are there any other differences between cabins? Are the balconies fairly big? Cabins bigger than previous suppose to be in? I sure hope this is a good cabin... as I wouldn't know the difference as those that are more experience fed cruisers...

Thanks, Stacey

Due to another poster letting those know many had cancelled on our Nov 22 sailing out of NOLA we were able to move from 4044& 4048 large Oceanview to 7666 &7668 balcony cabins... WOOHOO :)! I have been doing the happy dance! Wondering besides the given that there is balcony are there any other differences between cabins? Are the balconies fairly big? Cabins bigger than previous suppose to be in? I sure hope this is a good cabin... as I wouldn't know the difference as those that are more experience fed cruisers...

Thanks, Stacey

The original staterooms you were in are 169 sq. ft and the new ones are 162 sq. ft. plus a balcony. The standard balcony is 51 sq. ft., but the location you are in has larger than standard balconies. Both staterooms are appointed similarly and clearly the sizes are very similar. I think the biggest advantage of your move is the resulting balcony, which is our preference and something I think you will enjoy.

Serenade is a great ship - enjoy your cruise and your new staterooms.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The original staterooms you were in are 169 sq. ft and the new ones are 162 sq. ft. plus a balcony. The standard balcony is 51 sq. ft., but the location you are in has larger than standard balconies. Both staterooms are appointed similarly and clearly the sizes are very similar. I think the biggest advantage of your move is the resulting balcony, which is our preference and something I think you will enjoy.

Serenade is a great ship - enjoy your cruise and your new staterooms.

Thanks so much! These are adjoining rooms, can you tell me if the balconies are also adjoining?

I am not sure if the cabin attendant can open the partition or not but you do not have a full partition between those balconies. This picture shows the front of the ship but those extended balconies in the back have the same configuration. On deck 7 the balconies extend farther out but the divider does not. There is a railing between on the extended section.

615315403_2006-05-21Serenade228(2).jpg.4358f7b2be59d09f733590adf468417b.jpg

Thanks so much! These are adjoining rooms, can you tell me if the balconies are also adjoining?

Not to be picky with semantics but adjoining means next to and connecting means opening by a door between the two. As the other poster mentioned I don't believe that the partitions on Radiance class ships open so if not, they would not be connecting, but will be adjoining as they are next to each other.

I only mention this because there have been reports of people disappointed because they specified adjoining rooms when they meant connecting and ended up with rooms next to each other that did not have a connecting door between them. :) (Your staterooms are connecting, however).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are correct, balcony dividers cannot be opened on Radiance class.

I'm glad your on this thread Bob..... I feel you can probably answer just about anything :)... did I make a mistake getting cabin on 7th deck? I didn't have time to look up information before making a decision.. but have read there's alot of noise because of everything below on deck 6.. your thots? Is the balcony on these 2 cabins bigger than most? Someone did say that... I cn tell myself.... if it had been you would you have upgraded from where we are to here?

Those little half rail balcony dividers on deck 7 at the bow are easy to open. They are like little gates, and just have lift clip to swing open. :) I don't think any permission is needed as long as you close it behind you.

Edited by Coralc

My wife and I are booked into 7172 for our first cruise in Feb on the Serenade. From what I've read, there is some noise from the Safari club on deck 6, but it's not really bad and subsides after 10 PM. If you got an aft balcony on deck 9, you would have people in the outdoor dining area for the Windjammer looking down on you. I'll take a little noise to ensure some privacy.

My wife and I are booked into 7172 for our first cruise in Feb on the Serenade. From what I've read, there is some noise from the Safari club on deck 6, but it's not really bad and subsides after 10 PM. If you got an aft balcony on deck 9, you would have people in the outdoor dining area for the Windjammer looking down on you. I'll take a little noise to ensure some privacy.

Since Serenade now has restaurants on either side of the Windjammer, many people don't realize that they can walk through them to get to the outdoor seating at the back of the Windjammer. We were in an aft JS 1100 last December, and noticed that very few people were utilizing the aft windjammer seating. :)

Since Serenade now has restaurants on either side of the Windjammer, many people don't realize that they can walk through them to get to the outdoor seating at the back of the Windjammer. We were in an aft JS 1100 last December, and noticed that very few people were utilizing the aft windjammer seating. :)

That's there loss. Hear it's a nice place for breakfast and lunch...

I'm glad your on this thread Bob..... I feel you can probably answer just about anything :)... did I make a mistake getting cabin on 7th deck? I didn't have time to look up information before making a decision.. but have read there's alot of noise because of everything below on deck 6.. your thots? Is the balcony on these 2 cabins bigger than most? Someone did say that... I cn tell myself.... if it had been you would you have upgraded from where we are to here?

Oh you have those staterooms. Same deal about the half rail. The problem with those to the aft staterooms on deck 7 is that you will have the roof of the Colony Club extending beyond your balcony, which will block your view down to the water.

They will be fine, they have a larger balcony with the half rail, but I don't particularly care for the roof obstruction. :)

Oh you have those staterooms. Same deal about the half rail. The problem with those to the aft staterooms on deck 7 is that you will have the roof of the Colony Club extending beyond your balcony, which will block your view down to the water.

They will be fine, they have a larger balcony with the half rail, but I don't particularly care for the roof obstruction. :)

Are you sure there is an obstruction and can't see the water...getting completely getting mixed reviews of this cabin saying there is no obstruction and a great view. Are you talking about serenade? Haven't even heard of the Colony Club on there.... can you please clarify for me? Thanks

We were just on onboard and Serenade only has Rita's Cantina on the port side of the Windjammer. The other side still has the comfy chairs and tables and a beverage station. The aft was pretty popular when we observed it on a few occasions.

Are you sure there is an obstruction and can't see the water...getting completely getting mixed reviews of this cabin saying there is no obstruction and a great view. Are you talking about serenade? Haven't even heard of the Colony Club on there.... can you please clarify for me? Thanks

Yes, the downward view is blocked by the roof of the lounge below on those deck 7 rear extra large balcony cabins as shown by the shots below. It's only the front extra large deck 7 balconies that have a clear view downward.

The lounge below on Serenade is called the Safari Club instead of the Colony Club but is the same type of lounge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328470&d=1413809856

Above is view from most rearward deck 7 SB side balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328471&d=1413809856

RadE1RearLg.jpg.2b5cd26e00a093ac151de59e1d2a3a3b.jpg

DSC07167c.jpg.b9fbdb4c3fe1eb5e5d33a600db3c4784.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Yes, the downward view is blocked by the roof of the lounge below on those deck 7 rear extra large balcony cabins as shown by the shots below. It's only the front extra large deck 7 balconies that have a clear view downward.

The lounge below on Serenade is called the Safari Club instead of the Colony Club but is the same type of lounge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328470&d=1413809856

Above is view from most rearward deck 7 SB side balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328471&d=1413809856

So, in your opinion, this isn't a very good balcony cabin?

So, in your opinion, this isn't a very good balcony cabin?

Yes, IMO these are not the best large balconies. We typically select a forward deck 7 large balcony because of their much better view which is shown below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328481&d=1413815294

RadE1Balcony1.jpg.5b616aa80f92f28537c85338171a3ce5.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

The issue is you can't see the water if you stand at the railing and look straight down. You look out over the lifeboat covers. If you are going to be sitting in a chair on your balcony, watching the scenery go by, you aren't going to be looking straight down anyway. I am afraid of heights and don't like looking straight down anyway. You will have a gorgeous view of the ocean, just not straight down.

As far as the noise from the lounge below, while you might hear a little, you are not directly above the area where the band is set up, that is on the other side of the ship. We had 7172 on the Jewel, which is a sister ship, and we heard the bass from below every night until about midnight. It wasn't bad, except for one night, it was just the bass in the background. We just got off the Brilliance and had 7600 on the hump, never again would I book that cabin! While the location was very convenient, the noise from the centrum was very loud anytime anything was going on in the centrum. Most nights there was entertainment going on until midnight and it was so loud we could sing along to the songs because we could hear every word.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328527&stc=1&d=1413842131

Here is the rear view of the Serenade. The windows under the deck 7 balconies is the Safari Club. The rear of the ship is staggered, with deck 9 balconies sticking out a little farther that deck 10, deck 8 farther than deck 9, deck 7 father than deck 8, and the Safari Club windows a little father our than deck 7. Your view is only obstructed if you go to the railing and look down, you cannot see the stern of the ship. Otherwise there is no obstruction. The balconies are actually large enough to fir a couple loungers. The only negative is the music from the Safari Club, which most people say isn't that intrusive. YMMV...

aftwcabins.jpg.f3f0afa84cb51f9168c3cbff487f918a.jpg

Edited by Raxter54

attachment.php?attachmentid=328527&stc=1&d=1413842131

Here is the rear view of the Serenade. The windows under the deck 7 balconies is the Safari Club. The rear of the ship is staggered, with deck 9 balconies sticking out a little farther that deck 10, deck 8 farther than deck 9, deck 7 father than deck 8, and the Safari Club windows a little father our than deck 7. Your view is only obstructed if you go to the railing and look down, you cannot see the stern of the ship. Otherwise there is no obstruction. The balconies are actually large enough to fir a couple loungers. The only negative is the music from the Safari Club, which most people say isn't that intrusive. YMMV...

But the OP, Teasterfamily, has balcony cabins on the side near the rear, not aft balconies.

Now I'm lost... I was told 7666 & 7668 were aft balconies....are they not?

They may be listed in being in the aft section of the ship but these are starboard side balconies second and third from the rear. True aft balconies are those at the stern with balconies facing directly rearwards as shown in the shot Raxter54shows in his/her post .

sr_deck07_v2014_nov.gif

Edited by robtulipe