Carnival cruise - Ebola

beshears

So the healthcare worker who didn't have Ebola had her vacation-- and that of thousands of others -- ruined because of the ignorant authorities in Mexico. Ebola is not very contagious, though if you are so unfortunate as to get it, it's an awful disease and has a high fatality rate. :confused:

Why would ANYONE think they should cancel a cruise because of something that didn't happen?

No I wouldn't cancel and actually I think this "almost ebola case that didn't happen" is a good eye opener for Carnival and a good practice for how they would handle it if a case came up. I think they did very well.

You have to remember you catch ebola from bodily fluids of the infected person. So unless you plan on exchanging bodily fluids with people you don't know I don't think you should be concerned.

I also think it's less easy to contract than they think. IE Duncan's family never caught it while living with him while he was contagious. Heck, his fiancee likely slept in his same bed. Who knows. But seriously. I think canceling a vacation over something that could happen is just crazy.

I work at a hospital. I'm more likely to get sick there.

Why would anybody cancel a cruise over something that didn't happen?

And even if it had happened it was thru no fault of the cruise line.

Good grief. Will the silliness never stop?

Yep! As soon as people stop posting silly questions about it and others stop responding.....OOPS! :o

I cruise in 13 days.

As most of you know, Carnival was in the news because of the Ebola scare.

We are to do Carnival within the next two weeks. If you are doing Carnival within the next few weeks, would you cancel your trip because of the Ebola viris?

Yes, I cancelled my cruise for this weekend and will be going after Carnival for a full refund of my cruise fare, airfare and all associated expenses. It's absolutely ridiculous they wouldn't screen each passenger prior to boarding each cruise!

I am an infection control professional and I would still sail on a ship that had an Ebola infected passenger on the previous cruise even if they had been in the cabin beside mine!

I am sailing this week with no worries about Ebola.

Edited by shipty2

Yes, I cancelled my cruise for this weekend and will be going after Carnival for a full refund of my cruise fare, airfare and all associated expenses. It's absolutely ridiculous they wouldn't screen each passenger prior to boarding each cruise!

So you are canceling for no reason except fear? There was never anyone infected with Ebola on a carnival ship.

I leave in 40 days. Unless I exhibit symptoms myself, there is no reason why I am not traveling.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I saw a great newspaper comic. It said

Alcohol 80,000 deaths per year

Obesity 300,000 deaths per year

Tobacco 450,000 deaths per

Yet Americans are worried about Ebola?

I stay informed. Read the paper online to see what's going on. But to let it make you panic when only two people have died in the US is crazy. More people will die this winter from the flu than will be in danger of contracting Ebola.

By going after I assume you were not able to cancel and get a full refund?

You made the choice to cancel over something that isn't even an issue. Why should they refund your money?

How do you think they should screen people? You already fill out a health questionnaire. You should blame passengers then for lying when they complete it and boarding when they know they are ill.

The person that was quarantined tested negative so there was no threat to other passengers. This just proves that the media is great at creating hysteria over nothing.

We are to do Carnival within the next two weeks. If you are doing Carnival within the next few weeks, would you cancel your trip because of the Ebola viris?

HECK YES!!!!

We were scheduled to go on the Glory next week but cancelled and switched to a Celebrity cruise. Everybody knows Ebola won't set foot on a Celebrity cruise ship!

;)

Hell no. This Ebola hysteria is out of control, especially in the United States. But by all means cancel, more space and price drops for me ;)

I've got to agree here. When you have parents demanding a teacher be quarantined for going to Dallas for a conference held no where near Texas Presby and others demanding the quarantining of a principal who over the summer went to Zambia, thousands of miles across the continent from Liberia and zero Ebola infected populace, and TSA personnel having no clue about the difference between a hay fever sneeze and a flu sneeze much less how to spot someone with Ebola, the pandemic of Ebola is truly one of fear and fear alone.

I'm not only concerned about boarding. We have no control over the countries that the ships visit.

My concern is someone coming into contact with someone who may have it in the ports, either intentionally or unintentionally.

And while it will not spread throughout the ship as the symptoms will not be present, it's possible someone can bring it back. I don't want it to be me or my family.

With the changing CDC rules/guidelines, each passing day, tells me they do not understand it as much as they first led us to believe. Which gives me the right to change my mind if I wish to cruise/travel or not.

No I wouldn't.

While this "crisis" may have created something of a hyper-sensitivity I do have to say that the passenger who did not wait the 21 days after handling the blood of an individual who was infected with the virus was, in my opinion, extremely irresponsible. Now, mind you, my opinion and $1 will get you a burger off the dollar menu, but there it is.

Had this person been unknowingly infected she could have created a genuine health crisis all by herself by being on the ship and could also have spread the virus to 3 or 4 new countries. I am assuming this was the Western itinerary which generally visits 4 countries.

Getting on a ship with 3,000 to 5,000 others who cannot escape that environment was simply poor judgment under the circumstances and thankfully did not become the horrific mess it could have. It also took ports away from the other passengers once it became known.

While this "crisis" may have created something of a hyper-sensitivity I do have to say that the passenger who did not wait the 21 days after handling the blood of an individual who was infected with the virus was, in my opinion, extremely irresponsible. Now, mind you, my opinion and $1 will get you a burger off the dollar menu, but there it is.

Had this person been unknowingly infected she could have created a genuine health crisis all by herself by being on the ship and could also have spread the virus to 3 or 4 new countries. I am assuming this was the Western itinerary which generally visits 4 countries.

Getting on a ship with 3,000 to 5,000 others who cannot escape that environment was simply poor judgment under the circumstances and thankfully did not become the horrific mess it could have. It also took ports away from the other passengers once it became known.

You apparently aren't up to speed on this persons story. When she cruised, she was not considered risk, as she is nothing more than a supervisor. It was during the cruise that the CDC in its ever changing rules changed them, which then put this individual within the risk circle.

You apparently aren't up to speed on this persons story. When she cruised, she was not considered risk, as she is nothing more than a supervisor. It was during the cruise that the CDC in its ever changing rules changed them, which then put this individual within the risk circle.

There must be multiple media versions of the story (surprise, surprise). My understanding was that this individual physically handled the blood of the infected man. IMO (again, the hamburger) anyone at that hospital that had direct contact should have been grounded for 21 days, period. No flights, no travel, limited contact. Until we are certain what we are dealing with and if procedures are properly protecting these medical personnel there should be a protocol using an abundance of caution. Better to err on the side of safety.

I definitely would not cancel a cruise.

Things are not that good for my friend - at the end of the week, she leaves for an African Safari that they booked 2 years ago. Its in South Africa and cost them $ 30,000. They would have cancelled if they could, but unfortunately, this situation is not covered in their travel insurance.

There must be multiple media versions of the story (surprise, surprise). My understanding was that this individual physically handled the blood of the infected man. IMO (again, the hamburger) anyone at that hospital that had direct contact should have been grounded for 21 days, period. No flights, no travel, limited contact. Until we are certain what we are dealing with and if procedures are properly protecting these medical personnel there should be a protocol using an abundance of caution. Better to err on the side of safety.

Your opinion is based on the mis-understanding of the facts. So your current opinion and $2 will get you a burger off the $1 menu.

Things are not that good for my friend - at the end of the week, she leaves for an African Safari that they booked 2 years ago. Its in South Africa and cost them $ 30,000. They would have cancelled if they could, but unfortunately, this situation is not covered in their travel insurance.

Why would they cancel? South Africa is 3,000 miles away from the affected countries.