Select Dining

scottie920

Is there a way to pre-book select dining times pre-cruise on Celebrity that I'm not seeing on the website?

Yes, log into your reservation, go to the cruise planner, pull down the Dining options, choose Select Dining, and follow the prompts. It's set up as though you were buying something (the other choices are to actually pay for things like a Specialty restaurant), and you'll have to add the reservation to "your cart" as though you were buying something, but there will be no charge. It's not exactly the most intuitive thing in the world, since it's set up on a web page full of fee-based options.

I was just reminded on another thread that in April a big part of the area used for select dinning will be turned into the Suite only dinning area. Creating possibly an even longer wait time for those on select.

Query whether Celebrity will reduce the number of passengers it allows to book Select Dining.

Blu is anytime/Select dining, it used to say either traditional

or late till the we page was fixed. You can though also book

a table in Blu at a set time if you wish

I was under the impression that Blu does not take reservations, just first come, first served. If you can make reservations, I'd like to do that for my upcoming 11/8 cruise in AQ. Would someone weigh in who has actually done this? Thanks.

I was under the impression that Blu does not take reservations, just first come, first served. If you can make reservations, I'd like to do that for my upcoming 11/8 cruise in AQ. Would someone weigh in who has actually done this? Thanks.

Hi cruisemate:);).....your impression is correct. I have been in AQ

twice and neither time were reservations accepted.

The only time that will 'guarantee' the same table, is Traditional early or late seating. With select you are 'guaranteed' you may come whenever you desire, not the table. Now, they do try an accommodate to the best of the abilities.

WALLIE5446 great post... That is indeed it in a nutshell.

No reservations for Blu.

Although do note that your Confirmation for this DR probably comes with a "suggested dining time" for the first evening ONLY... This is because things can be more hectic on E-Day, especially so on ships that have a later (after dark) sail out due to Muster Drill etc.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Query whether Celebrity will reduce the number of passengers it allows to book Select Dining.

That would be what I think would have to happen. But my wifester said I was wrong two times already today, so what do I trully know!:D

That... Or else they will just integrate Traditional & Select into the same space. By several Pax Reviews & CC posts many times they do this already when there is an overflow (more demand for Select than space allows... Selects end up sitting on the 1st floor of the MDR in addition to the 2nd)

I have not done the math yet... But was thinking yesterday what the impact would actually be with the Suite DR... How many Pax are we actually talking about number wise (for each M& S Ship). And, if it stays with the anytime / Restaurant format (such as AquaClass Pax have in Blu) then it could be a not huge venue with plans for turnover 2 or so times per Nightly Dinner

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Seriously? Tip the dining table seating staff member on the first night? We have never done this & have consistently been greeted with smiling welcomes, accommodating, friendly & great warmth! I find that the staff does their job and extremely well! In fact I wonder sometimes how they manage to be so great when we've observed not so friendly, gracious or understanding passengers!

Yes, log into your reservation, go to the cruise planner, pull down the Dining options, choose Select Dining, and follow the prompts. It's set up as though you were buying something (the other choices are to actually pay for things like a Specialty restaurant), and you'll have to add the reservation to "your cart" as though you were buying something, but there will be no charge. It's not exactly the most intuitive thing in the world, since it's set up on a web page full of fee-based options.

thank you so much, I'd never have figured it out:o!

Edited by keishashadow

You are fast becoming the leading contender for 2014's HCY award (Happiest Cruiser of the Year)

Agree. Now they're bullies. Seems like the common thread is self invented. I knew this would start the bribe argument again as some can't leave things alone and give it a rest.

I was just reminded on another thread that in April a big part of the area used for select dinning will be turned into the Suite only dinning area. Creating possibly an even longer wait time for those on select.

Are you forgetting that some suite passengers currently are in Select? They'll no longer need those tables.

Seriously? Tip the dining table seating staff member on the first night? We have never done this & have consistently been greeted with smiling welcomes, accommodating, friendly & great warmth! I find that the staff does their job and extremely well! In fact I wonder sometimes how they manage to be so great when we've observed not so friendly, gracious or understanding passengers!

Of course, they are professionals. It isn't necessary to tip the dining room manager.

But when we've been in Select and asked for something specific, location-wise, which worked out perfectly (with the bonus of excellent wait staff), we've thanked the person that arranged it, and added a small gratuity ($10 - $20 or so) in appreciation.

That has been customary on cruise lines as long as I have cruised (almost 40 years), and was the norm when I worked in marketing posts for cruise lines in the 1970s - 1980s. Maitre d' tipping is quite common, and Celebrity did not invent it.

So no, you don't have to do it. But I have not had the experience of table being changed to something undesirable mid-stream. (I would not have pouted, by the way, if I had been moved, because Select doesn't guarantee anything, time nor location. No problem in my view.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We have pre booked our time slots on line for 3 cruises (On Solstice, Silhouette and Eclipse) and I can only recall one occasion when we had to wait for our table for 2 and that was on a formal night. We have also walked in ahead of people standing in line who have presumably not pre booked. I hope this helps with your question. You should have no problem changing a booking.

Of course, they are professionals. It isn't necessary to tip the dining room manager.

But when we've been in Select and asked for something specific, location-wise, which worked out perfectly (with the bonus of excellent wait staff), we've thanked the person that arranged it, and added a small gratuity ($10 - $20 or so) in appreciation.

That has been customary on cruise lines as long as I have cruised (almost 40 years), and was the norm when I worked in marketing posts for cruise lines in the 1970s - 1980s. Maitre d' tipping is quite common, and Celebrity did not invent it.

So no, you don't have to do it. But I have not had the experience of table being changed to something undesirable mid-stream. (I would not have pouted, by the way, if I had been moved, because Select doesn't guarantee anything, time nor location. No problem in my view.)

Agree.

But I notice you used the past tense in your explanation

But when we've been in Select and asked for something specific, location-wise, which worked out perfectly (with the bonus of excellent wait staff), we've thanked the person that arranged it, and added a small gratuity ($10 - $20 or so) in appreciation.[/Quote]

This custom has been around as you say for decades... And quite acceptable. A sincere thank you for something which has been received & enjoyed

What is found to be offensive... Is the "grease the palm" practice where one chats with a Maitre D and offers a monetary incentive (aka bribe) to make their request come true

That is just brash... "look at me I have money... and can use it to get what I want... better treatment than others" definitely not following what most would consider polite social etiquette

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

First time doing select dining on Celebrity.

Can we phone to make a reservation in the morning for that evening? We would like to plan our late day/evening activities and then pick a time for select dining.

Can we choose to go to the lower or upper levels of dining room to check-in for Select Dining?

Are there separate lines for Select Dining vs. standard early/late seatings?

Would appreciate suggestions for good table locations on Equinox away from work stations. We are a party of 6, but would not mind sharing a larger table.

Thank you.

I've seen 'Select diners ' taken into the MDR.

We had a terrible time with Select Dining in 2012, the worst Maître 'd we have ever come across. Need not bothering reserving on line, as the reservations were ignored, and we were just told come early if we wanted a table for 2. We arrived early and were still but on tables for six, having passed empty tables for 2.On the 3rd visit we arrived at 7pm and were taken downstairs to the fixed dining area, and put on an empty table for 6. The waiters were bemused, and we had glares from the other passengers. For the rest of the cruise we dined in the Oceanview, great food, especially from the grill, where our selection was cooked to order.

We were very upset on our return, when we read that a suite passenger on select had a reserved table each evening. We have not cruised with Celebrity since, but are trying the new suite experience next May, watch out for our review!

Getting ready to try select dining for the first time ever! I would get tired of either not being hungry for early dining or starving for late dining or having to cut short a day for early dining or wanting to go to bed instead of eating for late. So I am hoping I have happened upon the perfect solution. I talked DH and DD and our fellow traveling companions into this one....hoping for no regrets.:o

Getting ready to try select dining for the first time ever! I would get tired of either not being hungry for early dining or starving for late dining or having to cut short a day for early dining or wanting to go to bed instead of eating for late. So I am hoping I have happened upon the perfect solution. I talked DH and DD and our fellow traveling companions into this one....hoping for no regrets.:o

Oh! Don't forget Sushi at 5:30 every evening in the Oceanview:D See ya in 18 days!!!

We just switched from early dining to select dining and were told we would have to prepay gratuities.

I really dont understand why that Celebrity requires that. We have cruised on Princess, HAL and Oceania as well as Celebrity and this is the first time ever we have been asked to pay gratuities in advance.

Gratuities are always charged at the end of the cruise so why does it make any difference that you have chosen Select Dining??

Gratuities are paid to all the staff including the stateroom stewards so why should choice of dining determine when gratuities are to be paid?

What if we get poor service? What recourse do we have??

We just switched from early dining to select dining and were told we would have to prepay gratuities.

I really dont understand why that Celebrity requires that. We have cruised on Princess, HAL and Oceania as well as Celebrity and this is the first time ever we have been asked to pay gratuities in advance.

Gratuities are always charged at the end of the cruise so why does it make any difference that you have chosen Select Dining??

Gratuities are paid to all the staff including the stateroom stewards so why should choice of dining determine when gratuities are to be paid?

There are lots of posts here explaining exactly WHY there are prepaid Daily Grats for Select Dining... You can Search for them... Or someone else can explain.

In most minds of Celebrity Cruisers tho we don't think of them as something "optional" we see them more as a Service Charge in the same ways as Taxes & Fees, and just a regular expense as part of your Cruise Fare Contact

So, As for your last statement...

There is but one answer:

Report the situation WHEN IT HAPPENS

Don't let the situation be / continue

On Celebrity there is no excuse for poor service / someone not performing their job

If this is truly the case the situation WILL BE rectified while you are cruising

Therefore you will never need to (or should) be in a position to REMOVE / ADJUST the Daily Grats

Cheers!

What is found to be offensive... Is the "grease the palm" practice where one chats with a Maitre D and offers a monetary incentive (aka bribe) to make their request come true

That is just brash... "look at me I have money... and can use it to get what I want... better treatment than others" definitely not following what most would consider polite social etiquette

Cheers!

We've never needed to do this and have always been given very nice tables by maitre d's on ships.

But this type of transaction, aka bribe, is hardly unusual, whether in a big city restaurant, Las Vegas, or on a ship where it's more common than some here apparently believe.

Many pleasant, low key, socially-astute passengers I have met through the years offer advance tips to Maitre d's because they do it back home in elegant restaurants and like to have the "better treatment" - perhaps a table by a window - or like having the Maitre d' stop by often to chat, suggest something special, keep an eye on their enjoyment, etc.

It's generally handled via a quiet aside in a conversation between the passenger and the maitre d' (who is not offended and happy to receive the tip). This has been going on forever.

There's no "look at me" offensive behavior going on, unless it's some blowhard waving bills around in front of others. But that kind of passenger is hopeless in any situation.

First time doing select dining on Celebrity.

Can we phone to make a reservation in the morning for that evening? We would like to plan our late day/evening activities and then pick a time for select dining.

Can we choose to go to the lower or upper levels of dining room to check-in for Select Dining?

Are there separate lines for Select Dining vs. standard early/late seatings?

Would appreciate suggestions for good table locations on Equinox away from work stations. We are a party of 6, but would not mind sharing a larger table.

Thank you.

1. Yes, call any time during the day, or just show up.

2. No, there will be one section for Select diners and a specific dining room doorway on that level that only handles Select arriving passengers each evening.

3. See #2 - You won't be in line with standard seating people.

4. Usually at the Select doorway, there are two lines. One for reservation passengers and one for "just showed up" folks.

5. Locations - tell the manager at the select entrance of any preferences for table size, away from work station, near a window, in a quieter area, etc.

First of all, you won't - regardless of cruise line, I've never received poor service in the MDR. Don't invent a problem til there is one.

I, too, thought it was weird but it's a pay me now, pay me later type of a deal. So I ignored my temptation to say something as in the end it doesn't cost me anymore.

Have a good evening, R