Princess versus Holland America

mamaofami

...is it true all cabins on HAL have tubs?

Inside cabins have a shower only.

The Prinsendam outside cabins alternate (at least for the most part) shower only and tub w/shower.

Some of the outside and higher category cabins on the larger ships have a shower only.

The legends on the deckplans make it clear which cabins are exceptions to the rule of tub in all outside and up cabins.

We care much more about the ship than the cruise line. We expect the very basics...functioning stateroom, clean, well maintained ship, reasonable food/service,etc.

After that it is all about our personal tastes. We do not care about rock climbing walls,slides, wave pools, libraries, wrap around decks, paint job on the hull, or the presence of a priest ,minister, rabbi whatever on the cruise. Nor do we reflect any cachet, real or imagined, from the perception of the cruise line on to our persons.

We select ships on other attributes that are more appealing and higher on our list of priorities. We do the same with hotels etc. The chain may give us an indication but we base our decision on the actual hotel property.

Edited by iancal

As others above so well stated, these lines are so very similar. You can not judge the clientele demographics based on one cruise on a line either, I think that is driven more by the itinerary, length of voyage and time of year, and to some extent price.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

What about age ranges between the two? We're in our mid 30s and is it true all cabins on HAL have tubs?

As a mid 30s couple, I would recommend Princess or Royal Caribbean for you, not HAL. The evening activities are much more geared toward your age group.

As a mid 30s couple, I would recommend Princess or Royal Caribbean for you, not HAL. The evening activities are much more geared toward your age group.

Although, there's a slight chance someone may prefer the atmosphere of a ship with "age range" other than there own.

DW and I may fit into Carnival's "age range" better than HAL's, but opt for HAL. Things geared toward me are at best an iffy predictor of my interest in them.

Yet we find the evening activities on Princess to be the dullest in the cruise industry. They really do "roll up the decks" after 9 o'clock!

Although, there's a slight chance someone may prefer the atmosphere of a ship with "age range" other than there own.

DW and I may fit into Carnival's "age range" better than HAL's, but opt for HAL. Things geared toward me are at best an iffy predictor of my interest in them.

I agree....I too am not in the typical HAL age group, but still enjoy them nonetheless. But I recommended what I did because they thought it relevant to mention their age.

Yet we find the evening activities on Princess to be the dullest in the cruise industry. They really do "roll up the decks" after 9 o'clock!

That hasn't been my experience at all on Princess. Granted, I've only done 3 Princess cruises but the game shows, live bands and other evening activities/parties went well past midnight.

Surprised to hear this but Princess is certainly closer to HAL than Carnival when it comes to the types of various forms of entertainment. How many times have you sailed Princess?

Edited by qsuzi

I have found just the opposite. On Princess there is often a late-night comedy show, late-night movie, live music with or without karaoke, piano lounge, club, etc.

On HAL there have been evenings when I've roamed the ship looking for anything to do (other than gamble, which doesn't appeal to me) and have ended up getting a DVD to watch in my room for lack of any other option....

I have found just the opposite. On Princess there is often a late-night comedy show, late-night movie, live music with or without karaoke, piano lounge, club, etc.

On HAL there have been evenings when I've roamed the ship looking for anything to do (other than gamble, which doesn't appeal to me) and have ended up getting a DVD to watch in my room for lack of any other option....

I agree. There is generally better entertainment on princess but the shows seem to fill up faster as well. I do enjoy BB King on Hal.

I agree. There is generally better entertainment on princess but the shows seem to fill up faster as well. I do enjoy BB King on Hal.

At this point we have only been on the Veendam and believe HAL's larger ships may/will have more entertainment. We will be on the Westerdam soon and looking forward to BB King and other entertainment venues.

Edited by qsuzi

Thank you all for your very helpful answers.

One more question, I think. I'm confused about the mini suites. I read that the ones with an ocean view have no balcony. Is that possible ?

I think there are suites or perhaps mini suites which face forward. Instead of having a balcony which cannot be used while at sea, these have extra space.