Princess versus Holland America

mamaofami

I totally disagree. I think HAL is more refined (for lack of a better word) than Princess. I remember a lot of cheesy contests at the pool...and also the Movies Under the Sky which to me are, again, cheesy. No flowers around the ship; and certainly none of the lovely art that HAL is known for.

Carol, as Jacqui has said, they do have room service...all I remember having was a very simple continental breakfast.

Having said that, you're going with friends, and enjoying each others company is what matters most...not the ship.

HAL I agree is more of a luxury experience than Princess simply based on how they run their ships. My thought has nothing to do with food, service, etc. Simply HAL's product is closer to a luxury one than Princess with regard to onboard activities (or lack thereof), noise levels, design flow and so forth.

As always, all opinions are different. :)

I was on the Caribbean Princess on the 10/4 sailing. We were on a table of 8 for early traditional dining and the maitre'd did a great job of putting very compatible people together for the table.

Ages ranged from 40 to 68 (don't ask how that conversation started :D), we were all experience cruisers, and we all are/were HAL cruisers.

We had a discussion on HAL vs Princess and here is the theory we all agreed on:

Princess and HAL are aimed at the same target market demographics and compete with each other. With the changes in HAL and deletion of many of the upscale items we all had come to expect on HAL, we theorize that Carnival Corp is down classing HAL to be a bridge cruise line from Carnival Cruise Line to the more upscale Princess. Of course, Princess is the bridge to the luxury brands of Carnival Corp.

It is sad; we all had fond memories of HAL (especially my husband who did several trans-Atlantics as a child on HAL); but marketing and money is the driving force behind the changes.

Bingo, this post mirrors my impressions and theories about the 2 lines. 12 years ago we did our first HAL cruise and it was a step up from Princess. Now the reverse is true.

In the last 5 years we've seen tremendous decreases in quality on HAL, from the food, service and overall ship condition. They are sailing an aging fleet and I doubt they have implemented a new idea in years. Even the vaunted Prinsendam disappointed. I read for years about how great the Prinsendam supposedly is and I was not impressed with an old plain Jane ship that had port of call plaques on the walls instead of artwork.

I have been saying that Carnival has downgraded the importance of HAL and upgraded their perceived value of Princess. The parent company is pouring money into Princess and just letting Holland America go downhill.

As far as the mention about the Sun and Dawn Princess, those ships were offloaded to Australia a number of years ago. They were early ship builds for Princess. Few Americans sail them and I doubt the Australian market likes them either.

By the way we sail both lines and I am not a shill for either.

I was told that there was a design problem with Skywalkers on the Grand Princess which added too much weight. The club was removed from the Grand only.

I heard that the other Grand Class ships were re-designed when built and Skywalkers will remain.

This is correct. It was only removed from the Grand. It will remain on all other Grand-class ships.

I'm hoping to make my own HAL vs Princess comparisons next summer. Planning to do Alaska on Westerdam for a change.

I'm hoping to make my own HAL vs Princess comparisons next summer. Planning to do Alaska on Westerdam for a change.

I'm doing the reverse. After trips to Alaska on the Westerdam (bad) and the Amesterdam (so-so) I'm going on Princess next May. One thing I did notice is that Princess seems to stay longer in ports in Alaska than either of the ships I went on. Look forward to seeing the difference. And HOT food, not lukewarm or cold.

I've only been on 2 cruises of each line, but I disagree Princess targets an older crowd. I found the activities on board Princess ships to be more active than on HAL ships. In fact, I'd say the activities on Princess are similar to those on Royal Caribbean.

I think a HAL cruiser would be most disappointed in Princess staterooms. Yes, the rooms are noticably smaller and on a TA, I think that's a significant detail. On the other hand, I think the public area on Princess ships are nicer and more spacious than on HAL.

I agree....:)

HAL has been our line of choice, but we are now Platinum with PCL.

I think the food is similar, and we have had excellent service from the crew. There is just a tad more 'refinement' ? with HAL.

That said, we have found that sometimes the big differences are actually within the ships and not the cruise line.

For us, with our medical issues, the cabin is highly important, so that factors into our plans.

The one thing I love, love, love, with PCL is their International Café, and Alfredo's Pizzeria.

Hope this helps.

Pat

In the past three years we have sailed on the Noordam and Eurodam in Signature suites and the Princess Grand and Star in Mini suites. This year we sailed the Amsterdam in a Neptune Suite and the Coral Princess in a Vista Suite. Ships in each category were of comparable size so I think they make for good comparisons. So, here goes...

Mini vs Signature suite. Princess suite was longer and narrower than HAl's but you had two TVs. On HAL you get both a desk in front of the window and a separate vanity table. That was a real plus for us. Also we liked the bathrooms better on Hal. Edge to Holland

Suite vs Suite. First we were totally spoiled by both but Holland wins. The Neptune Lounge and concierge were great and really made the cruise special. Both suites had desks and vanities but the HAL suite had a separate dressing room with sink. Really special.

Any time dining and service. We did traditional dining for our first cruises and anytime dining for the last two. Princess does if far better than HAL. We made reservations, never had to wait and service was good. On the Amsterdam service was generally not good to the point that on the last formal night we walked out after waiting a half hour for coffee and dessert.

Activities and entertainment. In my opinion Princess does a much better job for both daytime and nighttime activities though the Amsterdam did have some good entertainers. We had really enjoyed Stryker the piano man on the Eurodam but others we have experienced were not good. HAL does try to keep movies available but we do like MUTS on Princess. Also, lots more daytime activities. But, if we could get a HAL cruise with a BB King band and Stryker playing on an itinerary we liked we would book it in a minute!

We select our cruises primarily by itinerary, then by ship. Our favorite ship to date is the Coral Princess. It's a perfect size and offered the activities we like. We have cruises planned on the Volendam and the Island Princess. We like both lines and neither one is "perfect" for us but both are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm doing the reverse. After trips to Alaska on the Westerdam (bad) and the Amesterdam (so-so) I'm going on Princess next May. One thing I did notice is that Princess seems to stay longer in ports in Alaska than either of the ships I went on. Look forward to seeing the difference. And HOT food, not lukewarm or cold.

The comment about the food cunfuses me.

Isn't it customary to ask for the food to be replaced if it is not suitable ?

I have been able to get this type of problem corrected immediately on all the lines I have sailed.

I have been able to get this type of problem corrected immediately on all the lines I have sailed.

Lucky you. I don't think it's realistic to expect that all 2000 people can everything perfectly done and tasting like something from a 5 star restaurant.

Edited by cruz chic

Since you are having problems understanding I'll say it again. I'm speaking of recent PRINCESS experiences. I believe almost everyone on this board would have recent hal experiences:rolleyes:. Talking about a princess experience that happened ten or 15 years ago isn't really relevant.

Ok recent experience....within the last 11 months, transatlantic on Emerald Princess, 14 day b2b on the Crown and Westerdam last thanksgiving. We found the princess to be more lively. I enjoyed current movies in a comfortable envionment, good lectures and excellent fish is the MDR. Holland has a much better spa, a better buffet. I liked fresh water pools on princess. Princess ships are in better shape and I love the international cafe. I do miss HAL tiles!

Ok recent experience....within the last 11 months, transatlantic on Emerald Princess, 14 day b2b on the Crown and Westerdam last thanksgiving. We found the princess to be more lively. I enjoyed current movies in a comfortable envionment, good lectures and excellent fish is the MDR. Holland has a much better spa, a better buffet. I liked fresh water pools on princess. Princess ships are in better shape and I love the international cafe. I do miss HAL tiles!

Sounds like you like them both equally right? That's how I feel. I just don't think talking about something that happened a decade or more ago is relevant. I may be alone in that thought and I'm pretty ok with that.

Sounds like you like them both equally right? That's how I feel. I just don't think talking about something that happened a decade or more ago is relevant. I may be alone in that thought and I'm pretty ok with that.

yes I like them equally! Have been doing more Princess only because of the loyalty perks are so much richer. And btw we also did the QM2 from Southampton to New York in May. I look at Cunard as transportation only. As far as I am concerned the Queen Mary does not hold a candle to HAL or Princess.

sounds like you are PRETTY OK with most of your thoughts....

Every meal we were served on our recent cruise was lukewarm. After the length of time we had to wait for it in the first place there is no way we were going to ask for it be replaced and have to wait again.

I love the HAL tiles and have quite a collection so I was quite disappointed to see that the one we recently received (collector cruise, Alaska and Panama Canal) was exactly the same as the one we got on a Caribbean cruise three years ago. What's up with that? More cost cutting?

I love the HAL tiles and have quite a collection so I was quite disappointed to see that the one we recently received (collector cruise, Alaska and Panama Canal) was exactly the same as the one we got on a Caribbean cruise three years ago. What's up with that? More cost cutting?

I only have 1 tile. It was given to me in July on the Zuiderdam because it was my second HAL cruise. The tile was generic for all ships of the same ship class, not specific to Zuiderdam. Do the tiles get more specific than that? :confused:

Every meal we were served on our recent cruise was lukewarm. After the length of time we had to wait for it in the first place there is no way we were going to ask for it be replaced and have to wait again.

Exactly. It shouldn't be a problem to begin with.

The only place I ever recall getting hot food on the ship is in the tamarind. I have seen people send food back because it wasn't hot. They strike me as being difficult because they are always so rude about it and I don't want to be that person. I've come to expect when they are feeding 2000 people it's not going to be hot.

The only place I ever recall getting hot food on the ship is in the tamarind. I have seen people send food back because it wasn't hot. They strike me as being difficult because they are always so rude about it and I don't want to be that person. I've come to expect when they are feeding 2000 people it's not going to be hot.

All the HAL ships don't hold 2,000 people and since there are two seatings, that helps cut down the numbers as well.

I haven't had an issue with my food being hot on HAL ships except on the N Amsterdam.

Not sure if it's because we trend towards the smaller ships or not. Definitely not an issue on the Prinsendam for us. (just off)

Last time I was on the Westerdam we had a two top and wonderful service and food was definitely hot. I guess we shall see what April brings.

As with everything else in life, it's not the sending back that's rude, it's how you do it, the tone you take, what you say. Presumably it's not the (on HAL, increasingly over stretched) server's fault. Another issue, though, is dining with a group in a 6- or 8-top. Everyone we've ever shared a table with was polite enough to not begin their meal until everyone was served. Sending something back of course would be accompanied by the request that everyone else "eat up." Still, it makes for some awkwardness in a group, and if the food temp is marginal, there's probably a tendency to go with it in the interest of table harmony.

I have to say that I send food back if it is not hot - but I certainly am not rude about it. I cannot stand eating luke-warm or cold food that is meant to be hot.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I had ordered food that wasn't either hot or chilled. It's been years. In fact the last time I can remember was the fettucini Alfredo on Princess - it was flat-out cold!

Food not being the right temperature is likely more of a waiter issue than a kitchen issue, fwiw.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I had ordered food that wasn't either hot or chilled. It's been years. In fact the last time I can remember was the fettucini Alfredo on Princess - it was flat-out cold!

Food not being the right temperature is likely more of a waiter issue than a kitchen issue, fwiw.

Not if you're eating in the Lido which is where we found most of the lukewarm and cold food.

As with everything else in life, it's not the sending back that's rude, it's how you do it, the tone you take, what you say. Presumably it's not the (on HAL, increasingly over stretched) server's fault. Another issue, though, is dining with a group in a 6- or 8-top. Everyone we've ever shared a table with was polite enough to not begin their meal until everyone was served. Sending something back of course would be accompanied by the request that everyone else "eat up." Still, it makes for some awkwardness in a group, and if the food temp is marginal, there's probably a tendency to go with it in the interest of table harmony.

Of course it's the tone. To be honest I've only seen a handful of people do this and they went on and on telling the server that they better bring it out hot. Since so many folks have gotten hot food and doubt what I say I fully expect my food to be piping hot in November. This time I'll have a witness when it's not.