Princess versus Holland America

mamaofami

Don't drink the coffee.

Just off the Regal Princess last week and, actually, the regular coffee was excellent to the point we actually drank more of it than on HAL. The specialty coffees at the International Café were also superior to HAL's Explorations Café. Sort of like comparing Starbucks to Dunkin' Donuts.

Others may have different views but we liked it.

Edited by taxmantoo

HAL "unofficially" relaxing the dress code may be correct. We just came back from a 12 dayer on the Eurodam and the first formal night-and I kid you not-there was a fella in the MDR with an open collar and no jacket. I mean, come on! If you don't want to wear a tie or jacket (preferably both) eat at the Lido that night. It's not considerate to the rest of us who enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the formals.

And we are 4 days off the Veendam, the last formal night we were entering the MDR (fixed seating) and the Maitre'd was assisting a male passenger into a "loaner" jacket. Evidently the closets right inside the door hold jackets of various sizes. I wanted to applaud.

• 7 months later...

We were on a Sun Princess Australian cruise this winter. We had not been on a Princess ship for several years.

The beds were greatly improved. No need for a mattress topper. They were as comfortable to us as any ship we have been on, HAL included.

Coffee better but not great. Now about equal to the other mass market lines. We did the coffee card. Excellent double caps. The price was very reasonable.

Horizon Court was the best buffet experience ever on a ship-quality, service, assortment. First rate choice of fine cheeses, made to order, fruits, and salad options. The steak house was very good but we did not like the environment. Like Canaletto, on this ship they simply convert a portion of the buffet to a pay dining venue. MDR was excellent in terms of service, food, etc. Wine list was good and we found the prices to be fair.

Staff and service were first rate. We really do not find any difference in staff/service etc. between HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.

It convinced us to try Princess again. Hope this was not an anomoly.

We did an RCI cruise three weeks later. The differences were like day and night.

Edited by iancal

It helps to go in with an open mind and to enjoy your cruise line/ship for it's own attributes. If we had listened to others we would not have tried HAL. We are excited that we will be on a different HAL ship, The Westerdam soon but also have many cruises on Princess booked.

The mattresses on Princess (the ships we have recently been on) are now very comfortable, the coffee improved, and service much better in casual dining and slightly better overall in the MDR.

Edited by qsuzi

I fail to see why this Thread was resurrected, as the OP was almost 11 months ago ... but since it has been, I'll take the opportunity to weigh in ...

There are many differing opinions & preconceptions about Princess and HAL but IMHO only one significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. So if spiritual renewal is an important component of a person's vacation experience, HAL is the hands-down choice.

Edited by avian777

This thread only reinforces what has been true all along. A matter of individual taste. There exists every opinion from black to white.

My 2 cents. Comparing Royal Princess with Nieuw Amsterdam. Most glaring: food in the MDR on the RP was dreadful. We only ate there three times on a 12 day cruise. Most of the food appeared to be prepared on shore, frozen and reheated. Specialty restaurants were much better. RP was beautifully decorated and furnished, way too big (too many people), no all around promenade deck.

HAL (signature class) for me!

This thread only reinforces what has been true all along. A matter of individual taste. There exists every opinion from black to white.

My 2 cents. Comparing Royal Princess with Nieuw Amsterdam. Most glaring: food in the MDR on the RP was dreadful. We only ate there three times on a 12 day cruise. Most of the food appeared to be prepared on shore, frozen and reheated. Specialty restaurants were much better. RP was beautifully decorated and furnished, way too big (too many people), no all around promenade deck.

HAL (signature class) for me!

Dreadful is an extreme statement. Granted I have not been on the Royal Princess, and food can vary by ship/chef/cooks on any voyage. I have been on 12 Princess cruises and a variety of their ships and food at worse on any of them was average.

IMHO: It was dreadful...

As you said it is a matter of individual taste. Was everything you found too salty, without taste, or just how was it lacking? I have only been on 1 HAL ship to date and overall the food was good to very good. The food in the Pinnacle Grill was comparable to Princess Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse. Princess pizza was far superior but HAL's grill was superior. Food in the MDR was comparable overall.

Edited by qsuzi

We've been asked by some friends to join them on a TA on Princess next fall. Can someone who has sailed both please compare them for me. How are the cabins? Are they the same size as on Hal? I'm not as concerned about entertainment , but do want to know about food and staff. The ship is the Island Princess.Thanks you very much.:)

Did TA on Island Princess last April. I thought the ship had a layout that seems more sociable and cozy. The passenger ages were younger. I was disappointed in the food, especially in the Lido where choices were quite limited. I loved the coffee bar. The reception staff was notably warmer than HAL. THe balcony cabin was much smaller with no sofa. My biggest gripe was the fixed shower head, the bathroom tiny. But overall it was a pleasant experience. The Island Princess had self serve laundromat, as did the Ryndam. The movies under the stars were unique and I was glad that blankets were provided.

HAL: an older, more sophisticated demographic. Nice corners of peace and quiet. Fantastic library and computer room. Big cabins with sofa, bathrooms with tubs and hand held European showers. Both ships had clever and good storage.

Full flow promenade deck with teak steamer chairs. Not for disco dancers. Excellent food in the main dining room, superb service. If you are lucky enough to sail on a ship that has the Tamarind Restaurant, be sure to reserve it. Cool, standoffish reception desk personnel. DVD players in cabin with check out at reception. Terrible coffee (even the specialty coffee is bad). But the Afternoon Tea made up for that. The Culinary Arts Center and its events are unique.

As I am sure you have read, every Line and indeed each ship has its own vibe and fit...and what might be "missing" on one it easily replaced by something special.

I think you can have a great experience on either, but for me I found my fit on HAL.

Dreadful is an extreme statement. Granted I have not been on the Royal Princess, and food can vary by ship/chef/cooks on any voyage. I have been on 12 Princess cruises and a variety of their ships and food at worse on any of them was average.

I agree. I've never had bad meals on princess. Some meals were better than Hal. Celebrity was bad. When you can't cut beef with a knife that is poor quality.

I agree. I've never had bad meals on princess. Some meals were better than Hal. Celebrity was bad. When you can't cut beef with a knife that is poor quality.

And for DW & I, Princess food was better than X. Not that X was bad,. just very bland and unimaginative.

But, there's no accounting for taste and, as they say, YMMV

;)

Bottom line from us who cruise on many lines and have no marriage to one or axe to grind with another...we have had equally good MDR meals on HAL, X, and Princess. And we have expwrienced an equally poor number of meals on all three.

Same for service. When we discount the fact that we may get on a familiar ship and thus be more generous with our comments the bottom line is we find the service level on these three lines very similar. There is nothing, comparatively speaking, that jumps out at us.

It is often luck of the draw, ship management, and staff on board that can really make the difference. This. IMHO, is completely independent of the actual cruise line. And we have met the same proportion of wonderful fellow cruisers and boors on all three lines.

Bottom line from us who cruise on many lines and have no marriage to one or axe to grind with another...we have had equally good MDR meals on HAL, X, and Princess. And we have expwrienced an equally poor number of meals on all three.

Same for service. When we discount the fact that we may get on a familiar ship and thus be more generous with our comments the bottom line is we find the service level on these three lines very similar. There is nothing, comparatively speaking, that jumps out at us.

It is often luck of the draw, ship management, and staff on board that can really make the difference. This. IMHO, is completely independent of the actual cruise line. And we have met the same proportion of wonderful fellow cruisers and boors on all three lines.

Have not been on Prinsedam though and have no plans to ever do so.

I agree with your comments.

Have not been on Prinsedam though and have no plans to ever do so.

You are so spot on with this post. There are both hiccups and unusually good experiences here and there but overall, I rate the food quality and service exactly the same among those 3 lines. I'll even add in RCI as a fourth.

The only mass market line I think is not on par with the others is NCL. The 100% Freestyle concept causes service to suffer. And I'm wise enough to not make that comment based on 1 experience.

You are so spot on with this post. There are both hiccups and unusually good experiences here and there but overall, I rate the food quality and service exactly the same among those 3 lines. I'll even add in RCI as a fourth.

The only mass market line I think is not on par with the others is NCL. The 100% Freestyle concept causes service to suffer. And I'm wise enough to not make that comment based on 1 experience.

I think most people would not base something on one cruise. If they do then they could be missing a good experience. When history repeats itself it's a problem. If you hang around here enough it's pretty quick to see which opinions you can trust and which ones you might not.

Edited by cruz chic

Ship size, Itinerary, and fellow passengers all matter more than the line you're on. If you like HAL small ships you won't like Princess' largest. I found Eurodam and Ruby princess to be similar. Both were 11 night European with older passengers and few children.