Princess versus Holland America

mamaofami

We've been asked by some friends to join them on a TA on Princess next fall. Can someone who has sailed both please compare them for me. How are the cabins? Are they the same size as on Hal? I'm not as concerned about entertainment , but do want to know about food and staff. The ship is the Island Princess.Thanks you very much.:)

Carol, we've cruised on both ... LOTS more on Princess but did also enjoy the five HAL cruises we took and would certainly have no problem cruising on HAL again.

Island Princess is one of our very favorite ships. She's very long and narrow with lots of passenger space.

Cabins generally are smaller on Princess ships. On Princess we book a mini-suite for the extra space. On HAL a regular verandah cabin meets our needs nicely.

I do like the way the closets are set up better on Princess.

At one time Princess had horrid mattresses! Joke was ... no fear of bedbugs on Princess ships because they didn't want to sleep on them either. :D

Happily, the new pillow-top mattresses are quite comfy.

Food is very subjective ... but so are lots of other things.

On both Princess and HAL we like the food well enough in the MDR not to have to go to a specialty restaurant EVERY night for dinner like we do on some other cruise lines. :rolleyes:

Still best to go to a specialty restaurant if you want steak. ;)

The buffet hours on Princess are much longer than on HAL ... normally open from 6 AM - 11 PM with other places to get food 24 hours.

On the other hand, HAL has better room service.

While you aren't overly concerned about the entertainment, it may be a factor to you on a TA. Princess has lots more of a variety of things to do on Sea Days. Also, we like the bar/lounge entertainment on Princess in the evenings.

You'll find the passenger base on both to be about the same.

No smoking on Princess ships in the cabin or on the balcony. This is a positive for some and a negative for others.

Do consider giving Island Princess a try! :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

This may not be important for a first time Princess cruiser, but we are 4-star on HAL and Elite in Princess. I feel the amenities offered to Elite are superior to those offered to 4-star. We were on a 56 day cruise earlier in the year on Amsterdam and two b2b 17 day cruises on the Sapphire Princess last month. The major benefit we used on HAL was the half price wine package. But on Princess we received 250 minutes each for each half of the b2b; 1000 internet minutes which was more than we needed to check our email each day. They also stocked our mini bar twice (and or course we had a small refrigerator). Hal also gives you half price in the specialty restaurants; Princess doesn't. In our case, the free internet was the most useful and while it wasn't super fast and sometime was unavailable, it was good not to have to waste time ashore looking for a wifi spot.

HAL used to be our go to cruise line. It is now Princess. Our reasons are as follows:

1. The As you Wish Dining on HAL doesn't work. In spite of booking over a year out, we were consistently wait listed for early traditional dining and ended up each time in the Not As You Wish open dining. We found the service to be slow and inconsistent in open dining. Overall food quality has declined on HAL and many of the favorites we looked forward to in the buffet and MDR have disappeared or are scare. Princess food is good to excellent.

Princess will give you your dining preference. One dining room is entirely traditional seating. One is open seating. And the third will be used for traditional seating (usually an extra early) if needed and switched to open seating.

Princess also is flexible on ports where departure is after the start of the dining areas. All dining becomes open but the traditional diners can still come in at their scheduled time and use their regular table and waiter.

2. Princess has more activities of interest during the day and evening .

3. While we love the HAL production shows, we just find the overall entertainment to be a notch better on Princess. We especially love the option of a fairly recent release movie being shown under the stars on a big screen and in other lounges and the theater during the day.

4. Cabin wise, we love the closet area set up on Princess. Instead of the HAL multiple doors that open into the entry area and bangs into the bathroom door and closed cubicles that one can somewhat customize with the movable shelves, Princess has a closet area that is parallel to the bathroom entry. The hanging space is one long open closet area. There is also a tall storage unit with shelves. Because the closet area and bathroom door are perpendicular to the cabin entry door, there is no potential for an whoops moment of flashing the hallway when getting dressed.

5. HAL mattresses are heaven. Princess mattresses are hell. Ask for an egg crate topper ASAP.

HAL used to be our go to cruise line. It is now Princess. Our reasons are as follows:

1. The As you Wish Dining on HAL doesn't work. In spite of booking over a year out, we were consistently wait listed for early traditional dining and ended up each time in the Not As You Wish open dining. We found the service to be slow and inconsistent in open dining. Overall food quality has declined on HAL and many of the favorites we looked forward to in the buffet and MDR have disappeared or are scare. Princess food is good to excellent.

Princess will give you your dining preference. One dining room is entirely traditional seating. One is open seating. And the third will be used for traditional seating (usually an extra early) if needed and switched to open seating.

Princess also is flexible on ports where departure is after the start of the dining areas. All dining becomes open but the traditional diners can still come in at their scheduled time and use their regular table and waiter.

2. Princess has more activities of interest during the day and evening .

3. While we love the HAL production shows, we just find the overall entertainment to be a notch better on Princess. We especially love the option of a fairly recent release movie being shown under the stars on a big screen and in other lounges and the theater during the day.

4. Cabin wise, we love the closet area set up on Princess. Instead of the HAL multiple doors that open into the entry area and bangs into the bathroom door and closed cubicles that one can somewhat customize with the movable shelves, Princess has a closet area that is parallel to the bathroom entry. The hanging space is one long open closet area. There is also a tall storage unit with shelves. Because the closet area and bathroom door are perpendicular to the cabin entry door, there is no potential for an whoops moment of flashing the hallway when getting dressed.

5. HAL mattresses are heaven. Princess mattresses are hell. Ask for an egg crate topper ASAP.

Agree with most except the mattresses. They do seem to be getting better.

I have only been on one Princess Cruise vs 16 on HAL, but I agree with Homosassa on her final two points.

"4. Cabin wise, we love the closet area set up on Princess. Instead of the HAL multiple doors that open into the entry area and bangs into the bathroom door and closed cubicles that one can somewhat customize with the movable shelves, Princess has a closet area that is parallel to the bathroom entry. The hanging space is one long open closet area. There is also a tall storage unit with shelves. Because the closet area and bathroom door are perpendicular to the cabin entry door, there is no potential for an whoops moment of flashing the hallway when getting dressed.

5. HAL mattresses are heaven. Princess mattresses are hell. Ask for an egg crate topper ASAP. "

But as others have said, I am sure you will enjoy whichever line you choose. Both are great in my opinion.

We've had Princess mini suites with balconies and loved them. I believe there are a couple mini suites without a balcony but we have not had one. They must be tucked Into an odd space.

The Island has very few insides, mostly balcony cabins with some ocean view.

Agree with most except the mattresses. They do seem to be getting better.

We were on Princess two weeks ago. I think it depends on if your cabin has had the mattresses replaced.

My husband needed two egg crate toppers on his bed to make it tolerable. How a mattress can be hard as a rock and saggy at the same time I don't know, but his mattress was. My mattress was tolerable.

We were on Princess two weeks ago. I think it depends on if your cabin has had the mattresses replaced.

My husband needed two egg crate toppers on his bed to make it tolerable. How a mattress can be hard as a rock and saggy at the same time I don't know, but his mattress was. My mattress was tolerable.

That's not good. I was on the sapphire in February and the mattress was great. That was in a suite. Thank you for clarifying when you were last on a ship.

I've found the princess ships to be in better shape. Curious which hal ships you've been on. I think the Veendam and Statendam are not in primo shape.

Veendam and Statendam it was. They were just fine on our cruises.

The subpar Princess (Sea, Sun, or Dawn, I don't remember)cruise ship had carpets in public rooms that were badly worn to the point that they looked as if a horde of people with muddy boots had run up and down for half a year. Buffet set-up had failed a food safety inspection and was going to be changed in a future dry-dock. The engines had a weird rumble and then stopped .... out in the ocean. Luckily the crew solved the problem.

I think one can see by the replies here, that the two lines are pretty equal. A few things here and there. But food and entertainment are subjective. And even service. No one here said they'd never again do one or the other. So I think you'd be comfortable trying a new cruiseline. Especially one so similar to HAL.

Now if you were going from HAL to NCL for a TA, you'd have much more of an adjustment.:p

I believe the 2 lines are very similar. Princess is replacing the mattresses....seems to be taking forever! The eggcrate topper didn't help...they gave us one so worn, that needed to be replaced. Hot roomservice breakfast seals the deal on HAL for me, however!

We're Elite on Princess and 3-star on HAL. For the most part the experiences are very similar. We miss the refrigerators on HAL (we were on Amsterdam each time) and thought the storage area was a bit skimpy.

The one thing that no one has commented on is the handling of shore excursions. On Princess you can sign up for shore excursions in advance and they won't hit your credit card until you board the ship. On HAL as soon as you sign up for shore excursions they hit your credit card (this can be up to a year in advance, yikes!).

When we were on Princess last year we forgot to ask for the egg crates, but our mattress was fine anyway. I hate duvets and our cabin steward was very gracious about changing to sheets and a blanket.

I would go on either line without thinking twice.

Thank you all for your very helpful answers.

One more question, I think. I'm confused about the mini suites. I read that the ones with an ocean view have no balcony. Is that possible ?

As far as I know, all mini suites have a balcony and thus an ocean view, I have never heard of one that did not. Check the deck plans. Some of them are not covered - Dolphin deck.

Thank you all for your very helpful answers.

One more question, I think. I'm confused about the mini suites. I read that the ones with an ocean view have no balcony. Is that possible ?

All Mini's have a balcony.

We left Princess for HAL for a few reasons.

1) Princess beds were worse than jail beds. I've slept in jail (not due to legal issues, as a volunteer service worker in college!).

2) The large ships were packed to the gills with people and LOUD.

3) I hate the Princess showers.

4) Only an uncomfortable chair in standard balcony cabins, so no where to relax at all.

Island/Coral are IMO the perfect ship design afloat today though, faaaar better than the Vista design (which isn't bad at all, mind you).

I agree.

HAL's food and dining room service is way better, YMMV.

HAL's staff much friendlier IMO

Wooden promenade deck and deck chairs on HAL, not on princess.

Princess pizza better.

I generally agree - adding that Princess has livelier entertainment - HAL has fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning at no charge (purely subjective, but important).

Estheticly HAL wins hands down with classic dark blue hull, teak promenade deck, and subdued interiors; while many Princess ships have that hideous upper aft lounge which looks more like a shopping cart handle than anything remotely maritime, and a lot of gold plastic interior design elements - admittedly such details have little real impact on the cruise experience, like the absurd circus wagon hull paintings on NCL, but somehow they still matter.

We have sailed on both the Dawn Princess and the Westerdam -- personally we had such a cold reception on the Princess ship I don't think I would go back unless it was given to me, The food was very good, however, The attitude of the entire crew was very snotity -- like they were doing you a favor to be in thier presence.

The Westerdam was wonderful !! -- the food really good (we did the dining room for breakfast and dinner most nights). The crew was exceptional -- very friendly and accommodating but respectful.

I LOVE the covered Lido deck over the main pool --- no matter the weather -- you didn't miss your pool time !!

As you can -- we are going back in Jan. 2015 for a B2B.:D:D

Veendam and Statendam it was. They were just fine on our cruises.

The subpar Princess (Sea, Sun, or Dawn, I don't remember)cruise ship had carpets in public rooms that were badly worn to the point that they looked as if a horde of people with muddy boots had run up and down for half a year. Buffet set-up had failed a food safety inspection and was going to be changed in a future dry-dock. The engines had a weird rumble and then stopped .... out in the ocean. Luckily the crew solved the problem.

Those ships are very old and not the ones that most folks would cruise on as they are positioned in Australia. I didn't even think princess sailed those ships anymore.

I generally agree - adding that Princess has livelier entertainment - HAL has fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning at no charge (purely subjective, but important).

Estheticly HAL wins hands down with classic dark blue hull, teak promenade deck, and subdued interiors; while many Princess ships have that hideous upper aft lounge which looks more like a shopping cart handle than anything remotely maritime, and a lot of gold plastic interior design elements - admittedly such details have little real impact on the cruise experience, like the absurd circus wagon hull paintings on NCL, but somehow they still matter.

I believe that shopping cart look has been removed off their ships.

We have sailed on both the Dawn Princess and the Westerdam -- personally we had such a cold reception on the Princess ship I don't think I would go back unless it was given to me, The food was very good, however, The attitude of the entire crew was very snotity -- like they were doing you a favor to be in thier presence.

The Westerdam was wonderful !! -- the food really good (we did the dining room for breakfast and dinner most nights). The crew was exceptional -- very friendly and accommodating but respectful.

I LOVE the covered Lido deck over the main pool --- no matter the weather -- you didn't miss your pool time !!

As you can -- we are going back in Jan. 2015 for a B2B.:D:D

I've been on the Westerdam ship twice and neither time was good. I haven't experienced anything that you mention on princess. I'm guessing if you were on the dawn it was a long time ago. I think it's more helpful to provide more recent experiences.