Back after 8 years w/Princess-What's new?

Bisous3

After an 8 year hiatus from Celebrity, for no other reason than convenience with dates and a FLL departure, we will be back -boarding the Silhouette for Thanksgiving. Anything new-different-interesting? Hoping those of you who have sailed the line over the course of, say, the last 10 years or so may have some thoughts about what's changed. We're looking forward to the signature Celebrity service and sincerely hope that hasn't changed. This time we are Elite level with the Captain's Club too so we're looking forward to that. Thanks in advance!

Depending on how many Elites/Elite+ there are you may find drink vouchers in place of the Captain's Club cocktails

You won't have access to Michael's Club which is now a reserved space, unless you book one of the high-end suites

There are options for buying Specialty Dining packages if you intend to eat there a lot.

There is now Select Dining as an option, which allows you to go to the MDR anytime during dinner hours. If you choose this, you will pre-pay your gratuities.

The envelopes for giving out gratuities are gone. It's all done automatically now, charged to your SeaPass card.

There are also options for purchasing drinks packages, at two price points.

There are fewer sommeliers in the dining room.

Activities staffs are smaller than they once were, usually two people per ship, rather than the previous 4 or 5. Thus, fewer activities.

The biggest change is in the smoking -- no smoking anywhere inside, no smoking in staterooms, no smoking on balconies.

The changes to Celebrity within the last 8 years will have you making a U-turn back to Princess..

We sure did want to love Princess. We can get to the ship in less than an hour, and do not have to fly to outer Mongolia to board. Well, we will be flying to board our next cruise. :cool:

After an 8 year hiatus from Celebrity, for no other reason than convenience with dates and a FLL departure, we will be back -boarding the Silhouette for Thanksgiving. Anything new-different-interesting? Hoping those of you who have sailed the line over the course of, say, the last 10 years or so may have some thoughts about what's changed. We're looking forward to the signature Celebrity service and sincerely hope that hasn't changed. This time we are Elite level with the Captain's Club too so we're looking forward to that. Thanks in advance!

The s-class ships are all new since the last time you sailed

Biggest thing is not compare with what Princess does,

On the last cruise there was Princess cruises on it , and they did was complain until you ask what they like better on Celebrity , which turned out to a big list then their complaints

Easier to complain then to give praise :D

Compared to your last Celebrity cruise, you'll find

more modern decor

more specialty dining options

more entertainment inside (bands & djs & parties in the centrum)

less entertainment at the pool

sometimes there are awesome jazz bands in Ensemble

late night dance party in the Solarium

less kareoke

cirque shows

late night buffets have been eliminated

wine bar or gastropub (depending on when Silhouette is being converted)

iced martini bar

molecular bar

a dance club (though these are being cut out)

all lounge chairs on deck are padded

all inclusive drink packages

more upscale (and more expensive) spa

On my last Princess cruise, I kept wishing I was back on the Solstice-class Celebrity ships. I've been on 14 Princess and only 3 Celebrity.

I like entertainment on Princess better. I like food on Celebrity more than on Princess. I prefer the decor on the Solstice ships over Princess's room decor.

Solstice ships don't feel as crowded. I love the Solarium pools on X as opposed to the pools on Princess. There is a lack of clubs on Solstice ships though, compared to Princess.

That said, we're pricing out cruises right now, and it will be either on Slhouette or Regal Princess.

Oh, regarding your question about what's changed in the last 10 years? As others have said, cutbacks to entertainment staff, to food, no smoking, et cet, but that is the same with all Cruiselines.

Edited by 4cats4me

I think that we are doing the opposite! :D

After many years on Celebrity and RCCL, we may jump cruiselines and go to Princess because they have a cruise that is on our bucket list that celebrity doesn't offer...the British Isles. We really enjoyed our one cruise on the Princess Coral.

Have you been on the Royal Princess? The only negative that I heard (from a business partner of my DH, that happens to be very tall) is that the ceilings are too low on the Royal. I know that some of the older Princess ships had low ceilings in the dining rooms, but thought the new Royal and Regal would be more spacious. I do not remember the Coral being low ceilinged. They did have beautiful public rooms, however. ;)

As for Celebrity... it has changed a whole bunch in our opinion since we started sailing with them in 2003. However, we still prefer Celebrity. It's hard for a cruiseline to compete with so many other cruiselines and ships, and at the same time, keep the rates low. Lot's of cuts have to be made. Celebrity is also now catering to the younger crowd.

Would love to hear your impressions of the Silhouette when you return. It's one beautiful ship!

Edited by Iamthesea

We did our first 5 on Celebrity Century-class, then went to Princess for a number of years only due to X's departures not lining up with our time off. Went back to X for 20th anniversary on Eclipse and except for the Solstice-class ships being (in our opinion) more attractive than Princess's newer ships, we're still happy with both.

Love the S-class, and not much had changed on X that hasn't also changed over the years on Princess. Dining is a little less formal, fewer sommeliers, more people choosing "eat when you please" over traditional, more sales pitches for shops, spa, etc. but service and food quality, and the overall ambiance hadn't changed that much. You'll find a very familiar product, on a really beautiful ship. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Kirsten

To iamthesea,

Actually Celebrity does have a 14 day British Isles cruise out of Amsterdam sailing on August 8. I just booked it and it took me awhile to find it sine it was out of Amsterdam and not London.

Wally

Thanks...I did see that, but we wanted something later in the summer or preferably in the spring.;) Our yearly beach trip ends the end of July, so the August 8th cruise was just too close. We like to space out our trips.:) Plus, we wanted to spend several days in London beforehand. We were in Amsterdam this past spring.

Edited by Iamthesea

We travel a lot of both of these lines -- jumped around a bit in between but now have elite status on both Celebrity and Princess.

We like many of the Princess itineraries better just because they have cruises that sail in and out of the Port of San Francisco and Los Angeles.

With that being said, I do like everything else about Celebrity a bit more. I love the S-class ships on Celebrity but haven't seen the new Royal or Regal so cannot compare.

What you will find some of the changes already noted above on Celebrity and ...

Awesome entertainment including fabulous enrichment series speakers (at least on our Alaska cruises)

More expensive cocktails and wines - they have enomatic wine dispensers in Cellar Masters -- all varying degrees of pricing. Heard they might discontinue the use of these though

No more grand buffet -- :(

Incredible indoor pool areas -- S-class ships with fountains in there as well as adults only areas / times for the indoor pool

Photos are now found using facial recognition technology -- didn't work for us, though

Probably the worst ever internet service -- all nice PCs or maybe apple computers but the slowest and constant dropped connections (don't know if this is a change though)

Great libraries

No more chocolates on your pillow at night -- or in the Café al Bacio

Room service orders taken over your tv -- you can also order shore excursions this way.

On demand movies on your television

More specialty restaurants and Aqua Class -- think that this started within the last 8 years. :confused:

All inclusive meal packages and beverage packages -- nice, but somewhat pricey

No more or very few US west coast itineraries -- no more Mexico itineraries at all

Purell dispensers everywhere -- even someone standing outside the buffet area to squirt you down upon entry

Escargot on the every day menu :D

Always seem to get some special little gift in our room from the Captains Circle Host or the Captain

The officers noticeably mingle with the passengers -- may even sit and have a cup of coffee with you if invited and not busy

Really great free perks, especially if you book onboard -- For example, we've booked onboard and they included a perk of the free beverage package - such a great deal as it wasn't being offered at the time to the general public -- so prices were excellent. Definitely check out their future cruise dept while onboard. :o

Those are just a few more of the things I didn't see mentioned above, some good, some not so good. Hope it helps

IAmTheSea-We were actually on the Royal last year. It's beautiful and I don't remember remarking about the ceiling. Do the Chef's Table- the area they've created for that is really gorgeous!

I'm so looking forward to this trip, I've had a helluva year with work so I'll be easy to please. Some of the changes sounds perfect for me- (select dining, no smoking). My husband is French and always gravitates toward the French cuisine, I am of Italian decent so Princess food has more or less been my preference. At the end of the day there were always be the list of pros and cons for each line but I was wondering what's changed on X, so thank you all for taking the time to answer. The people in this forum are always so generous with their time when replying. I have made some wonderful memories with my family thanks to the people in this forum and their willingness to share their experiences.

Somewhere here on Cruise Critic I actually did write a review after a Princess cruise where I compared the 2 lines. One silly thing I remember bugging me is the pool towel business. I remember having to guard my one pool towel on X at all times no matter where we went and being paranoid that we'd lose track of it and have to pay for it... and on Princess they're are zillions of towels everywhere- you can take as many as you need, not have to worry if you don't feel like schlepping a wet towel around! I know that seems like such a silly little detail, but it's the one that sticks out in my mind- isn't that funny?

Edited by Bisous3

The changes to Celebrity within the last 8 years will have you making a U-turn back to Princess...

We sure did want to love Princess. We can get to the ship in less than an hour, and do not have to fly to outer Mongolia to board. Well, we will be flying to board our next cruise. :cool:

Same for us in Dallas. We sailed the Ruby Nov 2012 after sailing the Reflection last Nov we too chose to fly to Florida and pay more than the short hop to Houston and sail Princess at 40-50 even 60% less.

Bisous you will find more things are as you remember than different.

IAmTheSea-We were actually on the Royal last year. It's beautiful and I don't remember remarking about the ceiling. Do the Chef's Table- the area they've created for that is really gorgeous!

I'm so looking forward to this trip, I've had a helluva year with work so I'll be easy to please. Some of the changes sounds perfect for me- (select dining, no smoking). My husband is French and always gravitates toward the French cuisine, I am of Italian decent so Princess food has more or less been my preference. At the end of the day there were always be the list of pros and cons for each line but I was wondering what's changed on X, so thank you all for taking the time to answer. The people in this forum are always so generous with their time when replying. I have made some wonderful memories with my family thanks to the people in this forum and their willingness to share their experiences.

Somewhere here on Cruise Critic I actually did write a review after a Princess cruise where I compared the 2 lines. One silly thing I remember bugging me is the pool towel business. I remember having to guard my one pool towel on X at all times no matter where we went and being paranoid that we'd lose track of it and have to pay for it... and on Princess they're are zillions of towels everywhere- you can take as many as you need, not have to worry if you don't feel like schlepping a wet towel around! I know that seems like such a silly little detail, but it's the one that sticks out in my mind- isn't that funny?

Thank you for your observations on the low ceilings. :D

You will be pleased to know that you no longer have to show your key card for reserving towels. They are set up in a few places and you just get what you need. I believe that RCCL still uses the card system, however.

Something that has not changed (and one of my favorites) is the distribution of ice cold wash clothes, lemonade and water when passengers are returning to the ship. Occasionally, those towels are passed around the pool decks, along with sorbet. Have not had the sorbet recently, however. It's got to really be hot outside, and the last couple of Celebrity cruise were European cruises. ;)

I will be taking my first cruise on Celebrity in two weeks. Do you really have to be responsible for the pool towels they have in your room? I have been on Holland America, Disney and Carnival and Carnival was the only other line that asked for accountablity for beach towels.

Please say it isn't so for Celebrity...:confused:

I will be taking my first cruise on Celebrity in two weeks. Do you really have to be responsible for the pool towels they have in your room? I have been on Holland America, Disney and Carnival and Carnival was the only other line that asked for accountablity for beach towels.

Hi,:) not sure I understand this.....you are responsible for the towels

the ship provides you for "off ship excursions"...these towels are different

from the pool towels. The ones that are provided for when you go to the beach are your responsibility, yes...I

would hope folks would bring them back to the ship when they return from their excursion.....

..what is it about this that you don't like?:confused:

As for pool towels? Use them when you are at the pool and leave them

there when you are finished.

Edited by Lois R

Yes my dear Tammy! The ones for use off ship on a tour, are intrusted to us for their safe keeping. We have to make sure no one kidnaps them and holds them hostage:D See ya in 13 DAYS!

Oh, now the ones for use at the pool, we get to have our way with them:eek: well, as long as we dont throw them over board;)

Hi again, I have never had any towel issues..never had to schlep towels

with me anywhere on the ship......not sure when this happened to the

OP and sorry she had this issue. There are plenty of pool towels available

and no "checking them in or out"

The only towels you are responsible for are "offsite excursions"......these

towels will be provided to you (in your cabin)......and they are actually

larger than the pool towels and quite fluffy too!

Hi Suzanne.....I think we sailed together many years ago:)

Edited by Lois R

The nicer towels in cabin are for taking on excursions, the pool areas have multiple towel stations that you just grab and go. No worries!

I love X. The ships are beautifully decorated and it's more geared for adults that like to relax and enjoy great dining. I was looking at the Regal which looks wonderful, but other reviews swayed my decision for upcoming Caribbean cruise on the Reflection. Posts from cruisers of both predominantly liked X better in the things important to us. I would love to sail on Regal, but itinerary is identical for the most part.

Hi,:) not sure I understand this.....you are responsible for the towels

the ship provides you for "off ship excursions"...these towels are different

from the pool towels. The ones that are provided for when you go to the beach are your responsibility, yes...I

would hope folks would bring them back to the ship when they return from their excursion.....

..what is it about this that you don't like?:confused:

As for pool towels? Use them when you are at the pool and leave them

there when you are finished.

I was wondering because on HAL and Disney when you board the ship after having been ashore there is a huge bin for you to return the towels. There is no accountability. Sounds like Celebrity is like HAL and Disney for onboard pool towels but like Carnival for going ashore.

I really don't think there is anything to like or not like just trying to learn the system of the ship.

I guess I should go on the Princess site and ask this very question. After four years exclusively with Celebrity, we are going back with Princess for Christmas. Our first choice would have been X, but the Celebrity prices are ridiculously high over the holidays. Princess prices are far more reasonable and go to the same ports, generally. Plus, while we enjoy X's food, Princess' fare suits us even more and we like the low cailing, more restaurant like feel rather than the barn like MDRs on Celebrity ships. When push comes to shove, we like both lines and either one will do, depending on itinerary and cost.

Edited by BosoxI

I guess I should go on the Princess site and ask this very question. After four years exclusively with Celebrity, we are going back with Princess for Christmas. Our first choice would have been X, but the Celebrity prices are ridiculously high over the holidays. Princess prices are far more reasonable and go to the same ports, generally. Plus, while we enjoy X's food, Princess' fare suits us even more and we like the low cailing, more restaurant like feel rather than the barn like MDRs on Celebrity ships. When push comes to shove, we like both lines and either one will do, depending on itinerary and cost.

We felt the same when we sailed on the 'new' Ruby Princess the last week of Nov in 2012 on the Eastern route. Paid more to sail the exact same route on the Reflection last Nov, ( no private island ) We are staying with the higher priced Celebrity again this yr. when we could do a short drive to Houston and get a balcony for 7 days on Princess for $699 pp. the 'fire sale' to fill the ships is clear to us now.

Edited by wallie5446