VAT refund

NC&KY

We are taking the Lisbon-to-Rio TA cruise next week. We've never departed Europe for the final time except by air, so we always get our VAT refund paperwork done at the airport. How and where do we get our paperwork done when we are departing by cruise ship?:confused:

VAT is country specific, you must apply as you leave each country. You also must have eligible items and receipts to show as you leave each country. There is no Europe VAT and they are applied differently.

See you soon

That is absolutely incorrect. Yes, different countries charge different amounts but you must be leaving the EU to get the customs stamp. No Stamp, no Refund. Do a little research on this board, most TA crossings get their stamps in the Azores.

That is absolutely incorrect. Yes, different countries charge different amounts but you must be leaving the EU to get the customs stamp. No Stamp, no Refund. Do a little research on this board, most TA crossings get their stamps in the Azores.

We don't go through the Azores. From Lisbon we go to Cadiz, Spain; Tangiers, Morocco; the Canary Islands (which are under Spanish control); and then to Cape Verde and finally 3 cities in Brazil. Assuming the last EU port will be the Canary Islands, where can I get a stamp there? Surely I don't have to find the international airport.:confused:

We don't go through the Azores. From Lisbon we go to Cadiz, Spain; Tangiers, Morocco; the Canary Islands (which are under Spanish control); and then to Cape Verde and finally 3 cities in Brazil. Assuming the last EU port will be the Canary Islands, where can I get a stamp there? Surely I don't have to find the international airport.:confused:

Yeah, I think I said about for you it would be Tenerife. I would definitely be checking with the ship though when you board. Some of the smaller islands have it set up on the cruise line's request....and no, you shouldn't have to go to the airport.

We are taking the Lisbon-to-Rio TA cruise next week. We've never departed Europe for the final time except by air, so we always get our VAT refund paperwork done at the airport. How and where do we get our paperwork done when we are departing by cruise ship?:confused:

Even when I did all the paperwork correctly, there was only a 50/50 chance of getting a refund. Many refunds are run by private companies who will avoid paying if they can. Don't count on a refund. If you get one treat it as a bonus.

I've found out a good bit over the last 24 hours. (1) The Canary Islands are exempt from the VAT, so there are NO REFUND FACILITIES there. :eek: On our cruise, the last EU port will be Cadiz, Spain. (2) Because we are only likely to make purchases in sufficient amounts to warrant a refund in Lisbon, I e-mailed the Lisbon Port Authority and asked about facilities at the cruise ship terminal. They responded, "With reference to your e-mail of October 27, we are pleased to inform you that our Cruise Terminals facilities provides deposit boxes for the tax free forms. Also, we should inform you that the forms must be correctly filled and stamped by the customs services available at the cruise terminal." :D So we just need to locate the customs agent before the board.

As is so often the case, IT DEPENDS.:rolleyes: The following is from Rick Steves web page:

"Unlike business travelers, tourists aren’t entitled to refunds on the tax they spend on hotels and meals. Still, you can get back most of the tax you paid on merchandise such as clothes, cuckoos, and crystal. You’re not supposed to use your purchased goods before you leave Europe — if you show up at customs wearing your new Italian shoes, officials might look the other way, or they might deny you a refund.

To get any refund, your purchase has to be above a certain amount — ranging from about $30 to several hundred dollars, depending on the country (except in Ireland, which has no minimum). Typically, you must ring up the minimum at a single retailer — you can’t add up your purchases from various shops to reach the required amount — so if you’re doing a lot of shopping, you’ll benefit from finding one spot where you can buy big. If you’ll be in Europe for a long time, shop near the end of your trip. You need to collect your refund within three months of your purchase."

For Portugal, the minimum is 60 Euros from the same store (although if you spend 60 at each of 3 different stores, you can get refunds for each). You would need to check for the particular country you are visiting. FYI, the Steves guidebooks always tell you the minimum for the country that is the subject of each book.

Will not help you but on our Norway cruise an agent came onboard & people could claim their VAT refund with them

Maybe they will do the same for Spain

Just a thought

Edited by LHT28

LOL, we spent an hour in Genoa once looking for him and he barely understood what we wanted!

The good thing was one time on Norwegian they had the agent come on board. That was convenient.

I just don't buy..or if I can't live without it, I just forget it.

Just how much do you have to spend to qualify for a V.A.T. Refund?

I just got off the ship yesterday in Lisbon. Someone in the shop on board said you had to spend at least $200 on one sales slip in order to get the 22% vat back. I considered buying $75 worth of gummy bears :D to reach that amount, but thought better of it and just paid the piper.

• 1 year later...
I've found out a good bit over the last 24 hours. (1) The Canary Islands are exempt from the VAT, so there are NO REFUND FACILITIES there. :eek: On our cruise, the last EU port will be Cadiz, Spain. (2) Because we are only likely to make purchases in sufficient amounts to warrant a refund in Lisbon, I e-mailed the Lisbon Port Authority and asked about facilities at the cruise ship terminal. They responded, "With reference to your e-mail of October 27, we are pleased to inform you that our Cruise Terminals facilities provides deposit boxes for the tax free forms. Also, we should inform you that the forms must be correctly filled and stamped by the customs services available at the cruise terminal." :D So we just need to locate the customs agent before the board.

I have a similar situation for this fall. We have a stop in Barcelona and then Tenerife before getting to Miami. I do plan to buy an expensive item and have been trying to figure out how to get the VAT stamp as ive only done it in the airport before. Were you able to find the customs agent at the cruise port?

I have a similar situation for this fall. We have a stop in Barcelona and then Tenerife before getting to Miami. I do plan to buy an expensive item and have been trying to figure out how to get the VAT stamp as ive only done it in the airport before. Were you able to find the customs agent at the cruise port?

The short answer is no. That's been a while and my memory is hazy, but I think because we had the tiles we bought shipped directly to the US, the merchant did not have to charge us (or essentially gave us an immediate refund of) the VAT. Sorry

We did Barcelona to Rio a few years back and an agent came onboard during one of our port stops to stamp the VAT. We completed the form and gave it to the the reception officer who collected all of the envelopes. We received our refund without any problems.