Royal: If you want to charge premium prices, go back to giving a premium product

LMaxwell

So I'm not booking for the most part. I've said it before and I'll say it again - We're finding much better value on land.

This is why our next vacation in a condo on the beach in Playa Del Carmen. Our third time there.

You have the beach.

Day trip over to Cozumel and rent a scooter.

Day trip over to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart and explore.

Day trip to Akumal bay and snorkel with the sea turtles.

Day trip down to Tulum and explore mayan ruins and some beach time.

Head over to the action park xplor. Ziplines, cenotes, ATV trails.

Head over xcarret action park.

Eat at one of the 700 places to eat.

Stroll down 5th Avenue.

Evening fire shows on the beach.

Coco Bongo club.

Bars.

And there is so much more to do. No need to wait for the ship to dock, race off and back for a 3:30 boarding.

Edited by Tutankhamen

- We're finding much better value on land.

I have not been as lucky. Of course Im just a lowly steerage passenger that wants the least expensive way to get on the ship. I dont require a balcony or a suite :) Im not one of those "I sail balcony or not at all" people.

Every time I do the math, even adding alcohol package, tips and excursions the 7 night cruise wins out over a nice AI for 7 nights. I drive to FL so airfare cost is never calculated. Maybe thats it.

Where are you folks finding these wonderful AI deals at?

I

AI??? No, prison compounds are not for me.

This past March wife and I rented a condo 1/2 block from beach for $700.

airfare was $800 total.

Food $800, and that was eating good! If you wanted to, you could cut that in half and still be eating as good as you do on a ship. Maybe not the quantity as seen piled up on trays in the buffet lines.

Drinks $100

Thats $1,200pp for food, tips, air and accommodations. And we ate better, had more room and much more island time.

Excursions would be about the same if you did excursions while cruising. We typically hire a guide and or do something on our own.

Edited by Tutankhamen

I have not been as lucky. Of course Im just a lowly steerage passenger that wants the least expensive way to get on the ship. I dont require a balcony or a suite :) Im not one of those "I sail balcony or not at all" people.

Every time I do the math, even adding alcohol package, tips and excursions the 7 night cruise wins out over a nice AI for 7 nights. I drive to FL so airfare cost is never calculated. Maybe thats it.

I've never done an all inclusive. I don't plan to either.

We book junior suites or better which are more comparable in space to a standard smallish hotel room.

When I travel alone or with a girlfriend, we book the best value even if that means interior.

DH and I wouldn't enjoy being in a tiny room together. We consider a balcony room tiny.

A lot of it comes down to what makes a vacation for you.

Personally when my kids were younger, it was so much simpler to go on a cruise where things were pretty much planned out for us for the. There were no battles between the kids on where to go to dinner tonight, which activity do we choose today, which show do we go to type things.

Dinner was in the main dining room at 6 PM every night. Monday is Cozumel, Tuesday is Jamaica. If you want to go to a show tonight it is the headliner. It makes it so that I can have a vacation as well. Yes, there are still decisions to be made, but there are a lot less and most can be made before you even step foot on the ship.

Now that my kids are older and starting to do their own thing, DH and I are looking at more land based options. When the kids do come with us they prefer the cruises so we still do those.

There is no right or wrong, just personal preferences, and those can change as your life changes.

The same thing is happening with the cruise experience overall. It used to be more of a luxury to sail and families really did not go that much. Now it is a big family thing and the cruise lines are taking advantage of it. Will it pan out, only time will tell.

Can we now not berate each other for liking something different than each other?

Entertainment definitely is not a draw for us. If I want a Broadway show, I go to Broadway or the West End. Not very interested in a scaled back cruise ship production, especially Cats. But then again, we prefer the Radiance class ships over Oasis class anyway.

We book junior suites or better which are more comparable in space to a standard smallish hotel room.

That answers my question. Thats how you are finding better value on land then. Thanks. :)

Cabin size is never a problem in any accessible cabin. I find them pretty roomy.

As far as land vacations go, you couldnt give me a free condo on a beach in FL for a week. Lived there, been there, done that and got the t shirts. No desire at this point in life to ever do it again.

When it comes to Caribbean ports, they are fun to visit but I have no desire to be there after the sun goes down. I WOULD try an AI but again, I find my money is better spent on a cruising.

Im sure if I ever get to the point where you are and I have hundreds of nights at sea under my belt and no longer see a value in cruising, I may feel the same way though. :)

I would encourage the OP to read Royal's last company call to get a better understanding of why the prices are where they are. It's not like the cabins are sailing empty.

That would be interesting. Can you provide a link to a transcript?

That answers my question. Thats how you are finding better value on land then. Thanks. :)

Cabin size is never a problem in any accessible cabin. I find them pretty roomy.

As far as land vacations go, you couldnt give me a free condo on a beach in FL for a week. Lived there, been there, done that and got the t shirts. No desire at this point in life to ever do it again.

When it comes to Caribbean ports, they are fun to visit but I have no desire to be there after the sun goes down. I WOULD try an AI but again, I find my money is better spent on a cruising.

Im sure if I ever get to the point where you are and I have hundreds of nights at sea under my belt and no longer see a value in cruising, I may feel the same way though. :)

Never have, and never will rent a condo in Florida.

I am talking about the Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe.

How can Royal say they will hold the line on last minute deals, while on the other side they continually cheapen the experience; less staff / more overloaded and overworked, declines in food quality, increases in paid venues, now even removing access to formally public areas of the ship.

HEY ROYAL - Listen up! Some of us are willing to pay these higher prices but we want access throughout the ship, we want sufficient staff to have good service, we want quality improvements in food and a return to some such things as midnight buffets (once a cruise would be nice), better MDR food. You want to charge me for it? FINE. But don't continually chip away at the service and experience and expect to charge me more and somehow convince me I'm getting a premium product because the price is higher without anything of value in return.

The erosion of basics "included" in the fare has been especially noticeable over the past five years or so. I get it, it's a race to the bottom in a competitive industry with a lot of berths to fill. No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI. I will pay more for RCI than MSC, Carnival, NCL though provided it is a premium product in comparison to those lines. The distinction is getting difficult however.

The basis is not to charge premium prices, but reduce the level/scope of last minute deals. They will never fully eliminate these unless RCL/Celebrity sail with empty cabins. So relax.

This is why our next vacation in a condo on the beach in Playa Del Carmen. Our third time there.

You have the beach.

Day trip over to Cozumel and rent a scooter.

Day trip over to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart and explore.

Day trip to Akumal bay and snorkel with the sea turtles.

Day trip down to Tulum and explore mayan ruins and some beach time.

Head over to the action park xplor. Ziplines, cenotes, ATV trails.

Head over xcarret action park.

Eat at one of the 700 places to eat.

Stroll down 5th Avenue.

Evening fire shows on the beach.

Coco Bongo club.

Bars.

And there is so much more to do. No need to wait for the ship to dock, race off and back for a 3:30 boarding.

Then, I'm confused.....why are you on Cruise Critic if you prefer land based vacations?

I agree with OP.

The production shows are mostly good. I don't like a few - personal preference.

The headliners are mostly horrible and repetitive. Most comedians are just not funny. I'm bored with jugglers. The very few headliners I really like, I've seen so many times I feel like they're following me from ship to ship.

The itineraries and cut backs aren't worth a premium price which is what they are charging for most cruises that interest me.

So I'm not booking for the most part. I've said it before and I'll say it again - We're finding much better value on land.

Don't worry, RCL has solved this problem for you. At least on the Jan 3 Oasis cruise, they have eliminated the Headliner Show :(:(:(

Post 85, last line should answer your question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44584135#post44584135

Thanks for the link. I can relate.

When we are having a good time I hate having to rush back to be on time before my room leaves without me.

That being said, I do like to cruise. Of course I love Nassau so what do I know. ;)

Gina

Don't worry, RCL has solved this problem for you. At least on the Jan 3 Oasis cruise, they have eliminated the Headliner Show :(:(:(

On Oasis and Allure there are enough shows that are hard enough to book and fit in so a headliner isn't really needed. They are the ships that actually have mostly funny comedians. Maybe it's the location and the small group atmosphere.

I never really feel the need to see the skating or aqua show more than once but will go if there is time.

I really don't like Hairspray or Chicago though. Not a bit. The is the only ship where the production show isn't to my liking if that's what we call the broadway type shows. I don't like stage to screen...or is is screen to stage on other ships either?

I would encourage the OP to read Royal's last company call to get a better understanding of why the prices are where they are. It's not like the cabins are sailing empty.

That would be interesting. Can you provide a link to a transcript?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2590605-royal-caribbean-cruises-rcl-ceo-richard-fain-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?uprof=45

I'm not sure if you have to join to read it on this site but it's free. I called it a company call but it's really their earnings call.

Edited by Big_G

On Oasis and Allure there are enough shows that are hard enough to book and fit in so a headliner isn't really needed. They are the ships that actually have mostly funny comedians. Maybe it's the location and the small group atmosphere.

I never really feel the need to see the skating or aqua show more than once but will go if there is time.

I really don't like Hairspray or Chicago though. Not a bit. The is the only ship where the production show isn't to my liking if that's what we call the broadway type shows. I don't like stage to screen...or is is screen to stage on other ships either?

Sorry, but many of us don't share your view and enjoyed the Headliner shows. I enjoyed Beatlmania, Mosaic and several others. After I've seen Hairspray and Chicago once, the Broadway shows don't interest me. At least the Headliner show offered some variety for repeat cruisers. It's just another example of RCL not really valuing repeat cruisers. New cruisers usually spend more.

Hello Princess

A few years ago, RCCL tried to keep their prices elevated. I believe that Richard Fain stated that they would be OK with sailing with empty cabins rather than continuing discounting.

They quickly went back to some discounting in order to fill the ships.

We're going on our third Carnival cruise next week out of PR, we got a Ocean Suite for 909 pp and booking another Carnival in January. It's not the entertainment that keeps us coming back its the Guys burgers, the lower prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me it boils down to service and included amenities and those are what have been slipping most noticeably. When RCI goes from giving a steward 10 or 12 cabins to giving them 16 or 18 who benefits from that? It can't possibly be the guest.

I enjoyed the midnight buffet, too. It was truly an astonishing sight to see. However, I couldn't help noticing that when the event was wrapped for the evening, 80% or more of all that food just went to waste. (okay, they donated it) Can you imagine how much that cost RCCL? Can you imagine how much they're saving by not including it? Can you imagine how much your fare would be if they still had it?

Do I miss the Midnight Buffet -- No.

But lets also be honest, they did not donate the huge amount of left over food. They could not.....once it was out in the open like that it was basically impossible for them to do it, even if it was logistically possible, which it wasn't. Once food leaves the kitchen/galley all they can do with it, is put it in the garbage if not eaten, and the masses did not eat it all; as you point out very little of it got eaten.

How can Royal say they will hold the line on last minute deals, while on the other side they continually cheapen the experience; less staff / more overloaded and overworked, declines in food quality, increases in paid venues, now even removing access to formally public areas of the ship.

HEY ROYAL - Listen up! Some of us are willing to pay these higher prices but we want access throughout the ship, we want sufficient staff to have good service, we want quality improvements in food and a return to some such things as midnight buffets (once a cruise would be nice), better MDR food. You want to charge me for it? FINE. But don't continually chip away at the service and experience and expect to charge me more and somehow convince me I'm getting a premium product because the price is higher without anything of value in return.

The erosion of basics "included" in the fare has been especially noticeable over the past five years or so. I get it, it's a race to the bottom in a competitive industry with a lot of berths to fill. No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI. I will pay more for RCI than MSC, Carnival, NCL though provided it is a premium product in comparison to those lines. The distinction is getting difficult however.

You bring up quite often the position you have about the declining quality of the overall Royal product from your point of view. You are clearly entitled to it and to bring it up incessantly.

Don't expect the line to 'hold the line on pricing' for unsold cabins at the last minute AKA very close to sail date. It probably upsets you that you booked a cruise months earlier and someone else is booking that same cruise at a significantly lower price, but will enjoy the same cruise....and your problem (and others share it). I saw the article about how cruisers should not expect last minute deals....the key word is expect....don't expect it.....but I am sure they will be able to be found. The line will find creative ways to find cruisers at the last minute.

The company is in the business of filling the cabins on board and they will fill then at the last minute by lowering the price....that is OK. Those last minute cruise bookings had the choice of the left over cabins, often times in less than desirable locations.

If you dislike the Royal product and how they market, cruise on another line.

Edited by Paulette3028

For me it boils down to service and included amenities and those are what have been slipping most noticeably. When RCI goes from giving a steward 10 or 12 cabins to giving them 16 or 18 who benefits from that? It can't possibly be the guest.

Are you saying that your cabin is not cleaned or bed turned on time? If not what are you complaining about. Unless you're a union person and feel sorry (just like the Dutch) for the overworked cabin steward--by the way, more cabins equates to more earnings.

I'll come right out and say it; I don't care how much of the food was wasted. A lot gets wasted now. A lot of alcohol is wasted now. A lot of everything gets underutilized and discarded, a cruise is a hedonistic luxury. When I am at home I worry about what gets wasted; I try not to make more than the family will eat (or a bit of leftovers). The higher fares in the past included better food, more extravagant displays, and better service. If they want to provide those things, and charge accordingly, ring me up. If they want to bluster about higher fares to appease shareholders, fine, but not all of us will pay more for less.

Anyone who says RCI is not a luxury or a premium vacation, who are you trying to kid? Millions of families will never be able to afford to cruise once in a lifetime. This is pure luxury. It's not $1000 pp, per night luxury, but it is luxury none the less.

No because they discount until all the cabins are full.And if they don't they won't always sail full.And at QUANTUM PRICES THEY really won't sail full,After some of the hype wears off.:)

Edited by caribbean sailor