Royal: If you want to charge premium prices, go back to giving a premium product

LMaxwell

You bring up quite often the position you have about the declining quality of the overall Royal product from your point of view. You are clearly entitled to it and to bring it up incessantly.

Don't expect the line to 'hold the line on pricing' for unsold cabins at the last minute AKA very close to sail date. It probably upsets you that you booked a cruise months earlier and someone else is booking that same cruise at a significantly lower price, but will enjoy the same cruise....and your problem (and others share it). I saw the article about how cruisers should not expect last minute deals....the key word is expect....don't expect it.....but I am sure they will be able to be found. The line will find creative ways to find cruisers at the last minute.

The company is in the business of filling the cabins on board and they will fill then at the last minute by lowering the price....that is OK. Those last minute cruise bookings had the choice of the left over cabins, often times in less than desirable locations.

If you dislike the Royal product and how they market, cruise on another line.

Where did I ever say I was upset over low giveaway pricing? Where did I say I book months in advance and get upset over people getting better deals? Nowhere. I book when I see a great price I am happy with and in almost all instances I have been able to get a lower price before final payment OR watch the price just go up and up and up. I don't feel like I ever got the short end on pricing. My issue isn't how they market. It's that they made the cruise experience match the bottom market price regardless of price paid. Someone that pays $1500pp for a balcony isn't getting a significantly different experience than someone that books last minute inside at $279pp.

You're having an argument that I didn't even bring up. To make it simple again; if Royal wants to hold the line on prices (charge a premium compared to its competitors) I'd want and expect a premium to the guest in return (in the form of better service and more amenities than the competitors offer). Yes, some of that means bringing back services that have been discontinued. You like Royal Caribbean too, right? So why not have someone advocate for an increase in service standards. Isn't it better someone says "Let's get this corrected" than for another to say "Just go on a different cruise line"

Where exactly have I ever said I disliked the Royal product? Nowhere. I have said changes I'd like and changes I'd be willing to pay for, improvements to todays product. Just because I have opinions on a variety of topics and share my point of view, don't misconstrue that as incessant complaints about a brand. I love BMW's. If BMW significantly changed the way I could order a model I like, I'd tell BMW hey, I'm willing to pay for XYZ if you still offered it. I wouldn't expect BMW to say "Well, we're not interested, have you tried a Mercedes Benz recently?"

Edited by LMaxwell

Are you saying that your cabin is not cleaned or bed turned on time? If not what are you complaining about. Unless you're a union person and feel sorry (just like the Dutch) for the overworked cabin steward--by the way, more cabins equates to more earnings.

No, I am saying staff is harried, constantly there are carts in the hallway. I don't remember the last time I didn't see carts clogging a hallway or stewards still working cabins at 2pm. Dining room staff, I don't know how they do it, they run like chickens without a head constantly and MDR service is often....inefficient, even if the staff themselves are exceptionally pleasant, and of course prideful of their hard work. Is it Royals intention to make me feel bad for the steward or wait staff? I doubt it.

Watching the decline in quality of Royal Caribbean is a lot like taking a look at the state our country... You hate what you see but you're pretty helpless to whats going on.

Unfortunately, in aiming to attract "the masses", Royal Caribbean has diminished their product to the point where it is affordable to those who never thought a cruise was feasable until recently. The newly attracted people don't care about the quality and perks because they don't know any better. I think they're essentially attracting the middle class to Royal Caribbean's overcrowded, floating theme parks and hoping the long time loyalists will shift to slightly more upscale Celebrity.

It's great for investors, it sucks for those of us who remember when a cruise was a luxurious vacation.

What was this post about again????:confused:

Oh ya, that hamburger I just ate for dinner costs twice what it did 5 years ago and its the exact same hamburger!! What?????

Thats it, I'm not eating anymore hamburgers til they make it better.....

Ughhh... what a waste:cool:

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Unfortunately, in aiming to attract "the masses", Royal Caribbean has diminished their product to the point where it is affordable to those who never thought a cruise was feasable until recently. The newly attracted people don't care about the quality and perks because they don't know any better. I think they're essentially attracting the middle class to Royal Caribbean's overcrowded, floating theme parks and hoping the long time loyalists will shift to slightly more upscale Celebrity.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Overcrowded?? Overcrowded?? Have you cruised on any Carnival Dream Class? Or any recent NCL Ship. Or MSC??Just looking at the PSR's on those babies they are truly overcrowded. Or even the 4 Princess Super Grands or Royal Class?

The OP professes to be upset because all the lines, not just RCI, have eliminated the midnight photo op sessions, aka the Midnight Buffet. There is a tremendous amount of food wasted which has to be pitched, can't be re-served. And how about the staff? The same people who were serving you at dinner or waiting on you at breakfast are up there until late, setting up the displays, helping you during the munching time and then, long after the pax have toddled off to bed, are still cleaning the Lido up in preparation for breakfast.

And for what? The early seating crowd has long gone to bed because they have trouble making it past 10 or 10:30 PM. And the late seating crowd, such as us, are still stuffed from dinner.

Overcrowded?? Overcrowded?? Have you cruised on any Carnival Dream Class? Or any recent NCL Ship. Or MSC??Just looking at the PSR's on those babies they are truly overcrowded. Or even the 4 Princess Super Grands or Royal Class?

The OP professes to be upset because all the lines, not just RCI, have eliminated the midnight photo op sessions, aka the Midnight Buffet. There is a tremendous amount of food wasted which has to be pitched, can't be re-served. And how about the staff? The same people who were serving you at dinner or waiting on you at breakfast are up there until late, setting up the displays, helping you during the munching time and then, long after the pax have toddled off to bed, are still cleaning the Lido up in preparation for breakfast.

And for what? The early seating crowd has long gone to bed because they have trouble making it past 10 or 10:30 PM. And the late seating crowd, such as us, are still stuffed from dinner.

You should read more of what I said. I think you are pulling my position way out of context.

Royal has reduced service and the included amenities to go along with fire sale prices. That's fine and understandable. Pay less. Get less.

But now Royal professes to be eliminating fire sale pricing. Well if service and amenities suffered to achieve this pricing, and the pricing is going to go away, shouldn't service and amenity levels be restored in lock step with rising prices? Or is the sort of thing Royal hopes new cruisers simply don't notice? The midnight buffet was intended to be an example, not the hinge point of the discussion. Otherwise I'd title the thread bring back midnight buffets.

Honestly for what the spend to feed pax I don't think is cost Royal as much as some people think to do that event even if just 1x a cruise. And if they arrnt going to do bottom of the barrel pricing surely they can afford it. I am sure they waste far far far more money on paper and ink for printing stuff most people throw away immediately.

Why should the product remain diluted if the prices don't? Improve the product. Many of us are willing to pay. I won't pay suite prices because to me it's not value since the rest of the experience has been scaled back, the everyone experience. I'd pay more for an interior or OV cabin though if service and amenities improved.

Watching the decline in quality of Royal Caribbean is a lot like taking a look at the state our country... You hate what you see but you're pretty helpless to whats going on.

It's great for investors, it sucks for those of us who remember when a cruise was a luxurious vacation.

You get the point.

Sorry, but many of us don't share your view and enjoyed the Headliner shows. I enjoyed Beatlmania, Mosaic and several others. After I've seen Hairspray and Chicago once, the Broadway shows don't interest me. At least the Headliner show offered some variety for repeat cruisers. It's just another example of RCL not really valuing repeat cruisers. New cruisers usually spend more.

Hello Princess

Did you call to find out why they don't have one on the Oasis on Jan 3rd? They seem to have it on other cruises in 2015.

Did you call to find out why they don't have one on the Oasis on Jan 3rd? They seem to have it on other cruises in 2015.

Maybe it's just not listed yet. I'd be really surprised if they didn't have a headliner act.

Many CruiseLines are 'cutting back' on staff, amenities, whatever. Why?

Because they can.

Because they know that the mainstream mass-market consumer is not too demanding.

Because they know that pax will defend a cruise-line more than they'll defend their own mother.

"A cruise is what you make of it!"

"Don't be a complainer!"

You'll find those retorts all over the place. This is why now, I sort of laugh at the whole thing. Sure, cut back on MDR and charge the Sheeple for alternative dining. Cut back on staff - let the Sheeple stand in line at the buffet. They'll say "oh heck, i'm on vacation, no rush". Eventually, cruise lines should charge for baggage per piece of luggage.

Sound familiar? Airlines. Air travel has devolved in the last 2 decades for the same reason: Consumers are not demanding. Mass-market customers will just "take it" and make the best out of it which is oh so nice and sweet.

I do believe mass-market cruises provide an excellent value. But there's no question that quality is in decline, and will decline in the future - because these business are smart. Why NOT cutback if pax are still willing to sail? I congratulate the companies, and their shareholders on the nice profits.

Ultimately, you as the consumer have a choice... if I'm not happy with the service/product I switch. If they don't meet my needs, then I take my business elsewhere. This is a very competitive business with a number of other similar and more luxurious choices. If I was this unhappy with quality/service entertainment and business decisions of Royal, I would not be planning to cruise with them again.

If you want to see how price protection fails big time look at two carnival brands and how they did two tier pricing in the UK with a very public price promise.

TOTAL DISASTER

P&O and Cunard both messed up.

Google vantage getaway fares.

There is probably loose evidence of cartel pricing and restructuring of prices through packaging but cruise lines still capitulate to fill the ships just a case of waiting till one gives in to fill a ship the rest follow.

I must be one of the luckiest cruisers on RCCL as I have not experienced all the cutbacks people keep harping on. Did we see our cabin steward every day on our last cruise? No, but our room was always clean after the morning and ready for the evening. When we needed to ask for something we found her without an issue. Did our waiters stand around and talk at every meal we had in the MDR? No way as they were very busy however we got all the courses hot and in a reasonable time frame. Our first cruise was 20 years ago on the Majesty and we were in awe at the size of the ship and the public spaces. Compare that to the Allure cruise last November and once again we were in awe at the size of the ship and the public spaces. Sorry the DW just reminded me that we are furious with no chocolates on the pillows at night.

I must be one of the luckiest cruisers on RCCL as I have not experienced all the cutbacks people keep harping on. Did we see our cabin steward every day on our last cruise? No, but our room was always clean after the morning and ready for the evening. When we needed to ask for something we found her without an issue. Did our waiters stand around and talk at every meal we had in the MDR? No way as they were very busy however we got all the courses hot and in a reasonable time frame. Our first cruise was 20 years ago on the Majesty and we were in awe at the size of the ship and the public spaces. Compare that to the Allure cruise last November and once again we were in awe at the size of the ship and the public spaces. Sorry the DW just reminded me that we are furious with no chocolates on the pillows at night.

We bring our own chocolate, it's better anyway. :o

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Do they have it on other 2015 cruises? I haven't heard from anyone that said they have booked a headliner show on Oasis in 2015. The "Showtimes at a Glance" has not been updated for 2015, the website still shows times and productions from early 2014. Typically they have 2 days between the standard Broadway show where they schedule the Headliner. ON the Jan 3 cruise, there is only 1 day, so it is no likely they will have a 1 day headliner show.

Sorry, but many of us don't share your view and enjoyed the Headliner shows. I enjoyed Beatlmania, Mosaic and several others. After I've seen Hairspray and Chicago once, the Broadway shows don't interest me. At least the Headliner show offered some variety for repeat cruisers. It's just another example of RCL not really valuing repeat cruisers. New cruisers usually spend more.

Hello Princess

As a repeat cruiser I agree. You actually are saying what I said. It's the same few shows we like to see over and over. I also enjoy Beatlemania. It's the musical headliners that I like but they just don't have enough of them. Sure, I like seeing the same ones again if they are good. But magicians, jugglers, and comedians are the norm and most of them do the same thing with minor variations which have all come to bore me.

Judy Kolba, Kenny James, Travis Ledoyt - they are the types of headliners I prefer. Not everyone likes the same things. I just find I see the same things over and over so I just stop going. Isn't it rough being a repeat cruiser. ;)

We do spend on board but since we neither gamble or shop, it doesn't amount to much - generally less than $100 a day which I know isn't of great value to RCI. We also do our own excursions for the most part.

How can Royal say they will hold the line on last minute deals, while on the other side they continually cheapen the experience; less staff / more overloaded and overworked, declines in food quality, increases in paid venues, now even removing access to formally public areas of the ship.

HEY ROYAL - Listen up! Some of us are willing to pay these higher prices but we want access throughout the ship, we want sufficient staff to have good service, we want quality improvements in food and a return to some such things as midnight buffets (once a cruise would be nice), better MDR food. You want to charge me for it? FINE. But don't continually chip away at the service and experience and expect to charge me more and somehow convince me I'm getting a premium product because the price is higher without anything of value in return.

The erosion of basics "included" in the fare has been especially noticeable over the past five years or so. I get it, it's a race to the bottom in a competitive industry with a lot of berths to fill. No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI. I will pay more for RCI than MSC, Carnival, NCL though provided it is a premium product in comparison to those lines. The distinction is getting difficult however.

A midnight buffet, as if there isn't enough food the other 23 hours of the day....:rolleyes::rolleyes: And what other "formally' public areas are you referring to??

Anyone who says RCI is not a luxury or a premium vacation, who are you trying to kid? Millions of families will never be able to afford to cruise once in a lifetime. This is pure luxury. It's not $1000 pp, per night luxury, but it is luxury none the less.

For many ANY vacation is a luxury. But in the cruise industry, I don't consider Royal a luxury line....they have one in their company fleet called Azumara. There are others in other fleets. I am very happy to be able to cruise and enjoy the time. Was my first cruise different than the most recent -- sure.

I don't look back and compare vacations other than to ask myself -- Did I enjoy it? Would I do it again?

I have friends that cruise on small ships with fewer than 750 passengers and have a butler assigned to them. Very nice and very luxurious. Maybe before I leave this earth, I will do that. Maybe not, that is luxury.

Edited by Paulette3028

And what other "formally' public areas are you referring to??

It was meant to be "formerly" (I think) - many public spaces have been converted to pay restaurants on Radiance and Vision class ships.

On Oasis and soon Allure the Viking Crown Lounge becomes the suite lounge.

Edited by mommabean

It was meant to be "formerly" (I think) - many public spaces have been converted to pay restaurants on Radiance and Vision class ships.

On Oasis and soon Allure the Viking Crown Lounge becomes the suite lounge.

Yes I did mean that, thank you. It was a typo.

I am "new" to Royal, have not sailed on her yet. I have been reading these boards and getting as much information on Royal as I can. I have to say, the more I read the more I wonder if I will enjoy sailing on her. I am trying really hard keeping an "open mind" on this. But when I read post's like this, it makes me nervous about my up coming cruise.

We booked this because we are traveling with family and friends and I wanted to try Royal.

So I hope that my experience on Royal will be a good one. Maybe because I have not sailed on her before, I wont notice what has been cut back on and what used to be. I am hoping that what I do encounter will leave a good impression on me.

Thank you for listening to a newbe to Royal.

:)

Definitely not a rip off; saying I would gladly pay more to get more. Not asking them to undersell their product. Nothing is more damaging to a brand than underselling.

Am saying it's a nasty cycle. They had to discount to fill ships. But they had to cut services to offer discounts. Now they want to stop with the discounts. Understandable. But services have to come back along with increase in fare otherwise the value equation becomes all screwed up. If you can't differentiate WHY your product is worth a premium price, well, who are you expecting to pay those premiums? Premium is not used in the context of RCI being like Oceania or Regent, Premium being used in the context of a premium price compared to similar itineraries on competing mass market ships.

Its all talk, cause if RCL doesn't discount, they'll sail with a lot of empty cabins!

Every other cruise line will discount, and loyalty isn't what you think it is when it comes to your money!

I am "new" to Royal, have not sailed on her yet. I have been reading these boards and getting as much information on Royal as I can. I have to say, the more I read the more I wonder if I will enjoy sailing on her. I am trying really hard keeping an "open mind" on this. But when I read post's like this, it makes me nervous about my up coming cruise.

We booked this because we are traveling with family and friends and I wanted to try Royal.

So I hope that my experience on Royal will be a good one. Maybe because I have not sailed on her before, I wont notice what has been cut back on and what used to be. I am hoping that what I do encounter will leave a good impression on me.

Thank you for listening to a newbe to Royal.

:)

Ok since we've traveled a lot of different cruise lines, let me give you our 2 cents!

Disney vs RCL

Disney has no casino, RCL does!

Disney has better free food, RCL on larger ships has more pay options!

RCL has more teenager things to do on larger ships, like ice skating, flow rider, rock climbing, etc.!

Disney has better entertainment except on RCL's larger ships with Broadway production shows!

Disney has better youth programs!