Is Cats REALLY 2 1/2 hours long ???

Shippy

It is 2 1/2 hours long (but it seems so much longer) with an intermission about 1/2 way through. Plenty of people left at intermission. Someone, not me, posted on another thread that they thought about 75% of the people left at intermission for the 3rd and final showing. We went to the 1st showing and about 25-30% of the people did not return to the balcony section after the intermission.

The set is amazing as were the costumes but it is a difficult story to follow if you did not already know the story. People either loved it or hated it. We were the latter.

I a not sure how well Cats will be perceived by many as it really does not have a story to follow and it is a slower pace than most of the entertainment offered on cruises. Time will tell how well it will be received. The Cats fans certainly loved it but just as many saw it as boring.

The 3rd and final showing was on the last evening of the cruise. Many people had to leave to pack their suitcases. As it was the only day with very good weather (most days were grey or rainy) I guess most people prefered to enjoy the weather and packed later in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The 3rd and final showing was on the last evening of the cruise. Many people had to leave to pack their suitcases. As it was the only day with very good weather (most days were grey or rainy) I guess most people prefered to enjoy the weather and packed later in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That my account for such a high rate for the last show on the TA but reports from other cruises still have a significant amount of the audience leaving at intermission. We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Cats was VERY long... we saw it at 2pm on a sea day this past week and my husband and teenagers both fell asleep. Needless to say we all left during intermission and didn't go back. They would have killed me:D

Stage and costumes were awesome, but it was just too long and boring for them. They felt as though it kept repeating itself over & over... Now they loved Come Fly With Me and the Ice Show.

And so is Mamma Mia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamma Mia and Cats aren't even in the same hemisphere.

I'm not a musical guy, but MM was tolerable. The only time I've seen Cats, I wanted to shoot myself. However, the girl I was dating at the time was performing in the off-off-off-off Broadway version I was watching.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the gist of the story. It does take a rocket scientist to figure out why that story would be deemed entertaining.

Mamma Mia and Cats aren't even in the same hemisphere.

I'm not a musical guy, but MM was tolerable. The only time I've seen Cats, I wanted to shoot myself. However, the girl I was dating at the time was performing in the off-off-off-off Broadway version I was watching.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the gist of the story. It does take a rocket scientist to figure out why that story would be deemed entertaining.

Thanks, people around me are wondering why I'm cracking up.:D

Edited by clarea

We go into NYC quite often to see a play and have done so for many years. I have to agree. I could not stand CATS.

When it came out in the early 80s it was all the rage and maybe at that time rightfully so. It was at a time when Andrew Lloyd Webber was the genius of Broadway . He could have walked on a stage , tied his shoe, and walked off , and The New York Times would have called it a Triumph.

It made its money back pretty fast, so it was cheaper to keep it running than taking a chance on bankrolling something untried.

It was a nice play the whole family could enjoy. Like someone else said, before Uncle Walt took over and made Broadway one big Nickelodeon Channel . You had old foggie revivals and the new experimental plays like David Mamet's F Bomb Marathons. So it had an audience to keep it running

It kind of became a tourist attraction after a while. Going to NYC and not seeing CATS was like not seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

Like anything else it came to the end of the line and it was time to go.

After discussing the comments on here with my family, the general opinion is that they would rather not spend 2 1/2 hours on their cruise in the theater watching a play that is not getting very high ratings! I am sure it was great at one time, years ago, but I think people's tastes may have changed. I would have much rather seen Hairspray or Momma Mia!

I go to see Broadway shows throughout the year as they come to town. This past summer, Cats was one of the shows. To this day, it was the only show I walked out of at intermission. However, I do kind of regret that as the second act is suppose to be much better than the first. I also sat far away. I'm hoping for the Oasis, I can sit really close to appreciate the beautiful costumes and set.

Now with that said, I'm book on Oasis twice next year. That's 5 hours of Cats!! I'm not sure I can do it, but I'm going with different groups each time who may want to see it.

What are the current showtimes for each route (Western and Eastern)?

I agree about the short synopsis being printed. But better if the cruise director or one of the actors came out at the very beginning of the show and gave the short synopsis orally.

It was a well done production yes long but I am glad I stayed.

I am afraid that you will be lucky if you see the Cruise Director, Drew as on our T/A he hid himself away for most of the cruise and when he did come out he was nothing like a Cruise Director I have ever seen. Not a people person, I'm afraid.

I am afraid that you will be lucky if you see the Cruise Director, Drew as on our T/A he hid himself away for most of the cruise and when he did come out he was nothing like a Cruise Director I have ever seen. Not a people person, I'm afraid.

Something else must have been going on with regard to Drew, because we have found him personable, visible, and approachable. We've been fortunate to have him as a CD on multiple cruises on both Mariner and Monarch.

I would have to agree with you on this CD. On the westbound TA he was invisible.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

I have to say we thought the same thing.

Oh and dunno if he is in charge of the compass but every day it had a handful of mistakes and balls ups.

I go to see Broadway shows throughout the year as they come to town. This past summer, Cats was one of the shows. To this day, it was the only show I walked out of at intermission. However, I do kind of regret that as the second act is suppose to be much better than the first. I also sat far away. I'm hoping for the Oasis, I can sit really close to appreciate the beautiful costumes and set.

Now with that said, I'm book on Oasis twice next year. That's 5 hours of Cats!! I'm not sure I can do it, but I'm going with different groups each time who may want to see it.

What are the current showtimes for each route (Western and Eastern)?

You are going to sit through CATS twice ???????????????????????

Oh my God..... you are going to end up like Elaine on Seinfeld when she got stuck sitting through The English Patient 3 times *LOL*

You are going to sit through CATS twice ???????????????????????

Oh my God..... you are going to end up like Elaine on Seinfeld when she got stuck sitting through The English Patient 3 times *LOL*

Haha, love it! Maybe I will go in at intermission to see the part I missed over the summer. I'm sure there will be tons of seats at that time.

I'm starting to think NCL is the winner in big name shows at sea with newer, edgier more contemporary shows. Chicago was ok. Mama Mia is a winner. But 2.5 hours of CATS? Oy vey. No thanks.

What?:confused: Blue Man Group spitting on each other and pounding on sewer pipes?

I'm starting to think NCL is the winner in big name shows at sea with newer, edgier more contemporary shows. Chicago was ok. Mama Mia is a winner. But 2.5 hours of CATS? Oy vey. No thanks.

I agree.

What?:confused: Blue Man Group spitting on each other and pounding on sewer pipes?

I was on Norwegian Breakaway last week and saw two shows that blew the shows on my May Allure cruise out of the water. Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor were way better than Chicago and Blue Planet, which were mediocre at best.

Edited by Dave85

I know I'm in the minority, but my husband and I both thought it was fantastic. We've sen it before so we knew what to expect -- the cast does a wonderful job. That said, if Andrew Lloyd Weber won't let RCI tweak the show to be more cruise ship friendly, I'm afraid it will never be a success.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk