What a disappointment Viking has been so far....

Begete

Mike;

You got a good deal indeed. I tried to do that recently and United's charge was twice that. I couldn't get the Super Saver Deal, only the regular mileage rate was available. If the flight is a United code share flight, the Super Saver rates are not typically offered, only the regular rates.

I have to agree with the OP. I have had nothing but problems dealing with Viking (invoices not correct, new charges added after the booking is made for items on the original invoice and not being told about it - happened upon it - commission deductions but they have no idea why, total lack of understanding the basic principles of accounting even at the supervisory level). Very frustrating company. IMO, they have expanded too quickly and need to slow down and remember how important customer service is.

I have to agree with the OP. I have had nothing but problems dealing with Viking (invoices not correct, new charges added after the booking is made for items on the original invoice and not being told about it - happened upon it - commission deductions but they have no idea why, total lack of understanding the basic principles of accounting even at the supervisory level). Very frustrating company. IMO, they have expanded too quickly and need to slow down and remember how important customer service is.

Dear DrivesLikeMario,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having problems and are naturally frustrated as a result. We recognize this isn’t the best way to get excited for your upcoming cruise and we’d like to try to help you out. Please email us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can further look into your concerns and hopefully find a quick solution.

Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

Dear Begete,

We received your email to TellUs@vikingcruises.com alerting us to our error in missing your original post. Please accept our apology for not having replied to you here, on Cruise Critic – and thank you for emailing us. Your email has been shared with various teams so that they can look into the concerns you listed out. If there is anything else you’d like to bring to our attention, please feel free to email us again.

Also, thanks to your email we’ve gone back and read this thread in its entirety…

huntersyaya, we love the story about Chef Karl and your birthday shopping trip in Vienna! Thanks for sharing.

juliesaddiction, you mention a difference between service levels prior to your cruise, on your cruise, and after returning home. Additional details on this would be valuable feedback for us to hear. We hope you will also consider emailing us about your experiences at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

nana541, we’ve always appreciated your contribution to the Cruise Critic community, and while Viking isn’t your cruise line of choice, you’ve been active enough on Cruise Critic over the years that we suspect you too would have some very valuable feedback to share with us. We’d welcome hearing from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

ganski, we’re looking forward to your upcoming trips!

dkbustr, we hope you’re looking forward to your China cruisetour next April!

crewsgirl, it looks like next year you will travel with us for the first time. We hope you’re looking forward to it. Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

We did the Custom Air also so that we could choose our airline for our upcoming March Cities of Light (Prague to Paris). We did the original booking at end of July. Since we are staying an extra week in Paris after the end of the cruise, we also had to pay a $50 per person fee for adjusting the return flight to a later date.

Our TA did the air booking thru Viking Air at the same time. We chose Air France with Economy Seating and received seat assignments. In late Sept, we decided to upgrade to Premium Econ. Contacted the TA who contacted Viking Air but could not do the upgrade and suggested we contact AF directly. Did so, but they could not do anything as the tickets had not yet been issued and suggested we contact Viking Air. Called VA direct and they did the upgrade at the standard upgrade price of $795 pp and we also received our new seat assignments at the same time.

Hopefully no issues when the tickets are issued by AF. Realize that the Paris / Prague leg may not have PE seating. Did contact our Travel Insurance to give the updated total price of the trip (we did not use Viking for the TI).

for a $50 fee Viking allowed me to select my own flights. For the United flights I have seat assignments and I should be get a seat assigned on Lufthansa about a month out.

Danube Waltz April 2015 :) My very first river cruise after 16 ocean cruises...I'm excited.

It is always better to book your air yourself. If the cruise line books it, it is booked under a group rate and if something goes wrong, there is very little the airline will do to help you. You will be at the very bottom of the list. There is an very large sticky under the Cruise Air forum here on Cruise Critic that explains the entire airline fare structure.

Not true!!!!

I have saved a lot of money with Europe river and ocean cruises by using there specials on air. I always make sure I know what I can the flight for and request the same flights from the cruise line.

Never had a problem. Used Viking air to Chain and it was almost $1000 lower for the two of us then I could get on the same flights. These were the best flights I could find on my own and told Viking what flights I wanted.

Not true!!!!

I have saved a lot of money with Europe river and ocean cruises by using there specials on air. I always make sure I know what I can the flight for and request the same flights from the cruise line.

Never had a problem. Used Viking air to Chain and it was almost $1000 lower for the two of us then I could get on the same flights. These were the best flights I could find on my own and told Viking what flights I wanted.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. But my statement refers to the fact that if anything goes wrong with the flight, group rates are the last that the airlines try to help. There is a pecking order connected to the code of your ticket. Again, the cruise air board has a sticky which explains it. But many folks do take the chance because sometimes the savings are good

I was hoping not to join this thread but here goes my story with custom air from Viking. DW and I chose custom air just to assure our schedule and routes. OK, no problem the $100 fee was acceptable. As someone else has already said, "What's $100 when you're spending so much for the cruise".

On Thanksgiving Day we visited with a retired TA friend of ours and were going over the details of our cruise departing next week. When he saw our seat assignments for our trans-Atlantic flight to AMS he immediately spotted a problem. We are flying a KLM 777 that carries about 200 - 250 people. Seatguru and our TA friend said there were about 14 seats on the plane that were considered "bad seats" and the TA said he would never consider booking clients in those seats. Most seats are adjacent to galleys and restrooms but 2 seats on the entire plane are NOT recommended. Yeah, Viking has me booked into one of those seats with DW sitting beside me! To say cheap seats is a step up from this. I've already checked. There is no changing seats this late. Non are available anyway.

It is disappointing as we are looking forward to this cruise. I was going into the whole experience with an open mind as this is to be our 1st river cruise. I had decided that I would start Viking at a score of 100 and work backwards. I was hoping they would stay in the 100 range. Now, quite frankly, they are starting at 0 and they'll have to earn my respect. Just something as simple as a seat assignment has soured me on this whole experience!

Unfortunately, this shows that you need to do research beyond the flights that you want. I've just booked a land tour in Europe and had the organizations's travel agent book my flights (I'd have done it myself, but it's a very complicated itinerary). Not only did I give her the flights that I preferred but checked Seat Guru first to give her my preferred row and seat assignments.

I wouldn't lose hope though about changing seats. Keep checking before the flight and once you get to the airport, ask again (nicely!) about changing. I've done this before and have even managed to get upgraded. Some people get upgraded, some people don't show up, so there is always a last minute possibility of a seat change.

On Thanksgiving Day we visited with a retired TA friend of ours and were going over the details of our cruise departing next week. When he saw our seat assignments for our trans-Atlantic flight to AMS he immediately spotted a problem. We are flying a KLM 777 that carries about 200 - 250 people. Seatguru and our TA friend said there were about 14 seats on the plane that were considered "bad seats" and the TA said he would never consider booking clients in those seats. Most seats are adjacent to galleys and restrooms but 2 seats on the entire plane are NOT recommended. Yeah, Viking has me booked into one of those seats with DW sitting beside me! To say cheap seats is a step up from this. I've already checked. There is no changing seats this late. Non are available anyway.

You can check in on-line 24 hours before your flight. I have yet to check in and have *no* seats available if I want to switch. Of course, the "available" seats may not be "ideal" seats, and may not be any better than I have already booked - but there is usually some type of option.

I agree with Peggy... if you can't get it changed at the time of on-line check-in, check in anyway - but arrive to the airport a bit early and ask when you drop your luggage off. We were lucky with that approach when we returned from the UK this fall.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...
dkbustr, good news--after your third Viking cruise, custom air is free.

News to me...where did you see that in print? This is my third but for next tine, that would be helpful to know about.

Please provide a link from the FAQ or website if you can as i can find nothing about this under Custom Air.

Thnks

I'll never understand why people allow a travel company to book them flights over which they have no choice.

Hi All,

I did the Viking Paris/Normandy cruise July 2014. It was fabulous! I did use a TA, and there was not much for her to do since we made our own air arrangements (four of us from different departure points, miles, etc.) But we did get a $100 per cabin credit great upon checkout (bar bill :D )

This year it's China, Viking Imperial Jewels. My TA was fantastic! I always do my own research THEN contact the TA. Asia is different story than Europe. I didn't want to make air & transfer arrangements on my own. My TA worked for weeks on the phone with Viking Air to get us the fights we wanted. She knows the agents and contacted managers when needed. The flights we wanted all had $300 extra charges for the departure cities we needed. We got our flights without extra$$.

I guess it's an individual choice, but I LOVE the planning, but don't have the time or patience for the PITA details! Also, if there is a glitch you have a LIVE PERSON to call...JMHO :)

News to me...where did you see that in print? This is my third but for next tine, that would be helpful to know about.

Please provide a link from the FAQ or website if you can as i can find nothing about this under Custom Air.

Thnks

It is one of the perks belonging to Viking's Explorer Society. I always remind them when I use Custom Air.

Thnks

That's what our Viking Travel Planner told us when we booked our fourth Viking Cruise--that since we had already been on three cruises with Viking, beginning with the fourth, we get access to free use of Viking's custom air department. I didn't try it out, though, because I always book my own reservations. I'm sure if you ask your Viking Travel Planner, you'll get the details.

Edited by Mackenzie1

That's what our Viking Travel Planner told us when we booked our fourth Viking Cruise--that since we had already been on three cruises with Viking, beginning with the fourth, we get access to free use of Viking's custom air department. I didn't try it out, though, because I always book my own reservations. I'm sure if you ask your Viking Travel Planner, you'll get the details.

I did ask today when i did final payment and yes you are absolutely correct so thank you.

Odd it isn't mentioned anywhere that i could see under the perks of the explorer club/ society. Thankfully we have CC!