Would you cruise with a common cold?

HaliMakai

Cold-Eeze is clinically proven to lessen the length and severity of a cold.

I have found that to be my personal experience. Less so if you start with it once the cold has take full hold, but if I start using it at the first sniffles, if it even materializes at all, my impending cold will be much less severe than in the past.

Before Cold-Eeze, I used Vitamin C (only about 500 mg or so) coupled with low-dose Zinc twice a day and found I had similar results.

(if you overdo the "C", your body just flushes it out, so it's a waste to go overboard with it)

By the way, most of the "remedies" mentioned above are bunk. One thing that is clinically proven to lessen the symptoms and shorten teh duration of teh rhinovirus is Zinc. Cold-Ease or similar. I am not a doctor, read the directions.

This comment makes you look foolish. Have you read the "clinical research" ? The studies on zinc gluconate lozenges are not impressive. Heck, they involved less than 200 people total. They definitely get an A+ in marketing though.

I would hardly call a person's clinical experiences "bunk". If they have had good results from a remedy (or not) then the information that they are sharing is factual.

We find that we sometimes leave home just fine but after getting off the confines of one or two flights we feel a cold coming on. Not about to consider not boarding the ship because of that.

And it pales in comparison to how we see cruisers handling food in buffets. Just came off a cruise, DW saw a man dive into the bread rolls and go away with a handful..no plate, no serving utensils.

As far as 'clinically proven'. Well that statement is very much a joke in the OTC environment. If you choose the study, the parameters, the study management team, and the subjects you can just about prove that anything is 'clinically proven'. Not much different than political poll results. The people who pay for the study get the results that they want. Just think back to all those studies that the tobacco industry did to 'prove' that smoking was not harmful to your health.

Edited by iancal

It is said that a cold takes 3 days to arrive, stays for 3 days and takes 3 days to recover. I must say that out of all these days, I only feel rough for 1 or max 2 days - the other days are not pleasant but certainly doable.

I've sometimes managed to shake the thing off within the first 3 days but if I

get the streaming eyes/red nose I find that Lemsip eases the discomfort.

I'd certainly go ahead with my travel plans - it's only a cold!!

Glad to see there are no cases of man flu on this thread:D

Zinc acts as birth control for the cold virus. It actually prevents the virus from replicating. If your friend starts taking zinc as soon as she starts having symptoms, the zinc will shorten the duration of the cold and she may not get as sick as she would without taking the zinc since the virus will be unable to replicate itself as much as it normally would without the zinc. Since this is contagious, I suggest your friend wear a mask on the plane and around others.

If you were on a plane seated near people with colds, would you put on a mask?

Do you usually keep one/some in your carryon?

If someone in a restricted area like a airplane was coughing, sneezing and not covering mouth and nose appropriately, I would use a mask, but not one of the typical lose-fitting face mask.

I would use one described in medical supply stores as respirator masks. (N/P95 Niosh standards) will prevent breathing in things above their lower particle threshold.

I carry a couple when I travel during flu season.

Edited by herbanrenewal