Recent events in Turkey

luxurysailer

There are news reports of three U.S sailors being accosted in Istanbul by a group of young men. They were jostled, their backpacks taken away, and a bag was placed over the head of one while the protesters chanted "Yankee go home."

When we were there about 7 or 8 years ago we were a little apprehensive prior to going ashore; however, everyone we encountered, and I mean everyone, was courteous and welcoming. We had a most enjoyable visit in Istanbul and again when we went to Ephesus.

At the time of our visit one of our tour guides told us that "we love Americans."

Changes since our visit suggest that this relationship may be in danger. I certainly hope not, because Istanbul and Ephesus were great ports of call, in both of which I'd have loved to spend more time.

We just returned a few weeks ago and there are some protests in Istanbul - only in certain areas - and we were cautioned to stay away. To go near where there are protests is to invite trouble sadly.

The remainder of Istanbul and all of our Turkey ports were welcoming and wonderful. We had no issues whatsoever.

Returned home from two weeks in Turkey, last Saturday. It was a wonderful trip, with no problems. We are Canadian, and chose not to advertise our nationality, after the recent events in Ottawa. Upon inquiring, people in Turkey did not seem too concerned about the current fighting on the border.

We just returned a few weeks ago and there are some protests in Istanbul - only in certain areas - and we were cautioned to stay away. To go near where there are protests is to invite trouble sadly.

The remainder of Istanbul and all of our Turkey ports were welcoming and wonderful. We had no issues whatsoever.

That is good to here ..

Similarly, I just returned from a cruise that started in Istanbul and visited two other ports in Turkey. I stayed two nights in Istanbul prior to the start of the cruise. Nowhere did I encounter even a tiny bit of unease in walking around the historic area (two women on our own) extensively. Nor was it any different in the other two ports.

Sadly, incidents like the one you describe can occur. But they can happen anywhere -- even in the US. For example, I remember reading a news story last year about a Muslim woman who was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal assault after the Boston Marathon bombing by a man who seemed to hold her responsible (only because she was Muslim).

We just returned from the Ryndam - we were in Ephesus twice, Istanbul, Marmaris, and Antalya - all ports in Turkey. We really enjoyed Turkey - we met the nicest people who we were able to have very interesting conversations with - some subjects we brought up and some were brought to us. So in addition to wonderful ports full of amazing history, we thoroughly enjoyed all the people that we met..

There are news reports of three U.S sailors being accosted in Istanbul by a group of young men. They were jostled, their backpacks taken away, and a bag was placed over the head of one while the protesters chanted "Yankee go home."

When we were there about 7 or 8 years ago we were a little apprehensive prior to going ashore; however, everyone we encountered, and I mean everyone, was courteous and welcoming. We had a most enjoyable visit in Istanbul and again when we went to Ephesus.

At the time of our visit one of our tour guides told us that "we love Americans."

Changes since our visit suggest that this relationship may be in danger. I certainly hope not, because Istanbul and Ephesus were great ports of call, in both of which I'd have loved to spend more time.

I saw that news report and it was upsetting to see three U.S. sailors in civvies, minding their own business and returning to their ship attacked viciously. They literally ran for their lives to get back to the ship which, thankfully, they safely did. The street mob was screaming "Yankee, Go Home". This in a fellow member of NATO country.

Totally agree that what little I was able to see in Turkey (Istanbul) is well worth any and all effort to do so. Never met anyone that was unfriendly. It is a lovely city and when one looks across the waterway that separates the Asian and the European continents and realize where you are and what you are seeing! For me, I was so thankful to have that experience.

What happened in Istanbul was unfortunate. Iditiotic behavior is not confined to any part of the world, unfortunately.

I saw that news report and it was upsetting to see three U.S. sailors in civvies, minding their own business and returning to their ship attacked viciously. They literally ran for their lives to get back to the ship which, thankfully, they safely did. The street mob was screaming "Yankee, Go Home". This in a fellow member of NATO country.

I found that report concerning as well. :(

LuLu

We have been to Turkey numerous times. Several land trips and a few cruises. Turkey(and Greece) is one of our favourite travel destinations. We have always found the country to be hospitable and safe...especially when we were lost and asking for driving directions.

I would not put the actions of a small group deter you. This is probably an isolated incident. If this was the case, you would probably strike most countries off your list, including mine (Canada) and our neighbour to the south.

We have been to Turkey numerous times. Several land trips and a few cruises. Turkey(and Greece) is one of our favourite travel destinations. We have always found the country to be hospitable and safe...especially when we were lost and asking for driving directions.

I would not put the actions of a small group deter you. This is probably an isolated incident. If this was the case, you would probably strike most countries off your list, including mine (Canada) and our neighbour to the south.

From the reports I read, this was a staged, filmed action by a fringe Turkish youth group. The perpetrators have already been arrested.

I have visited various parts of Turkey numerous times over the years, occasionally on my own and have never felt unsafe.

I don't recall this incident but CNN says:

"The bags over the head is a reference to when U.S. forces in northern Iraq detained Turkish special forces soldiers in 2003, who were allegedly smuggling weapons to a Turkish-backed group in the Iraqi city of Kirkuk.

The American forces put bags over the heads of the Turkish troops during the detention, before eventually releasing them back to their NATO ally. The move incensed Turkish society. The incident was portrayed in a popular Turkish film."

I hope nobody changes their travel plans because of this, Turks are normally very welcoming to visitors.

The real problem with events like this is something that I would call a slow news day.

If there is not much news, and someone like CNN or FOX need some sizzle in their entertainment/news, then they will focus in on an event like this and keep re-broadcasting it to the point that some viewers imagine civil insurrection. Not saying it did not happen but rather that it was a minor event and something similar could just as easily happen down the street from you. When two Brits were murdered a few years ago in Miami, some British TA's and media outlets were giving out similar warnings and vibes about Miami.

There were very minor issues two or three years ago. Lots about nothing. CNN etc. made a hayday out of it, really out of nothing. It was great for us because we were able to snag two cruises at bargain basement rates. Uninformed US TA's were telling people not to book, or if still outside the cancellation window, to cancel.

Just a few points to consider:

"ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Twelve Turkish nationalists detained after an attack on U.S. sailors in Istanbul were released on Thursday but could still face charges for causing insult and injury, local media reports said.

The group assaulted the three sailors on a crowded street in Istanbul on Wednesday, shouting “Yankee go home”, throwing paint and trying to pull hoods over their heads, in an assault condemned by the United States.

The group, members of the nationalist Turkish Youth Union (TGB), were told they faced possible charges of insult, injury and breaching laws on public protests in an Istanbul court before being released by the prosecutor, the Dogan News Agency (DHA) said..."

"...Turkey has long been one of Washington's key allies in the Middle East and is a member of the NATO military alliance, but anti-American sentiment runs deep in parts of society, particularly since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

A poll by the Pew Research group released at the end of October showed only 19 percent of Turks had a favourable view of the United States...." -copied from http://www.euronews.com/newswires/2787806-turkish-nationalists-assault-us-sailors-in-istanbul/

Just a few points to consider:

"ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Twelve Turkish nationalists detained after an attack on U.S. sailors in Istanbul were released on Thursday but could still face charges for causing insult and injury, local media reports said.

The group assaulted the three sailors on a crowded street in Istanbul on Wednesday, shouting “Yankee go home”, throwing paint and trying to pull hoods over their heads, in an assault condemned by the United States.

The group, members of the nationalist Turkish Youth Union (TGB), were told they faced possible charges of insult, injury and breaching laws on public protests in an Istanbul court before being released by the prosecutor, the Dogan News Agency (DHA) said..."

"...Turkey has long been one of Washington's key allies in the Middle East and is a member of the NATO military alliance, but anti-American sentiment runs deep in parts of society, particularly since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

A poll by the Pew Research group released at the end of October showed only 19 percent of Turks had a favourable view of the United States...." -copied from http://www.euronews.com/newswires/2787806-turkish-nationalists-assault-us-sailors-in-istanbul/

In the same news report you quote, you unfortunately left out the portion that might shed a clue as to why Turks have an unfavorable view of the United States:

"The assault appears to have been inspired by an incident in Iraq in 2003, when U.S. forces detained a Turkish special forces unit, leading its members away for interrogation with hoods over their heads."

Also, it has long been my experience traveling overseas that while citizens of a particular country may not like or support the actions of the US government, they are well able to dissociate that from their feelings for everyday American visitors to their country.

My bottom line..there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

You may as well worry about the murder rate in Philadelphia or some other city you plan to visit in the near future.

I would have no problem visiting Istanbul today. I would feel as safe as I would in most other North American cities.

Many countries, people disagree with and resent US foreign policy. This does not mean they will be violent towards Americans or dislike them nor does it mean that their view is inherently wrong. I live in Canada. We disagree with US policy in certain parts of the world. It does not mean that we are an enemy or that we dislike Americans. The opposite is true..best friends and great neighbours. But that does not mean we have to agree on everything and share the same world view.

Edited by iancal

In the same news report you quote, you unfortunately left out the portion that might shed a clue as to why Turks have an unfavorable view of the United States:

"The assault appears to have been inspired by an incident in Iraq in 2003, when U.S. forces detained a Turkish special forces unit, leading its members away for interrogation with hoods over their heads."

Also, it has long been my experience traveling overseas that while citizens of a particular country may not like or support the actions of the US government, they are well able to dissociate that from their feelings for everyday American visitors to their country.

cruisemom, you're right, I didn't include that incident in 2003, nor did I include the reason why those U.S. forces acted as they did.

I also didn't mention the Turkish terrorist attack against the U.S. Embassy in Ankara last year that left two dead.(http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/02/world/europe/2-dead-in-suicide-bombing-at-us-embassy-in-turkey.html?_r=0 Or the British tourist that was briefly kidnapped by Turkish PPK militants in 2012.

BTW, the Canadian Government recently update their travel advisory for Turkey. If interested, it can be found here: http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey