Stay on Board at HMC?

LindaSSF

On our last cruise, I broke my foot at Half Moon Key. While DH paraglided and had a beach day, I hobbled back to the tender and spent the day on our balcony with ice on my foot. :(

I am considering staying on board ship this time instead of tempting fate again on our first day of a cruise. I've never done that at HMC.

If I stay on board, will the Lido or MDR be open for lunch? Can I order room service and relax on our balcony? I wondered if so many staff were acting as butlers and running a BBQ on shore, would they be able to serve food on board the ship that day?

Yes, you can stay on board, and you definitely won't starve. There are a number of people who stay on board, or come back on board for lunch.

Won't go ashore because you broke your foot last time? Not superstitious, are you? :D;)

Edited by CruiserBruce

HMC is my favorite private island. The soft white sand is so nice. I have stayed on the ship in some ports and I really enjoy the uncrowded atmosphere on board.

You'll have a good experience in regards to the food either on the ship or on HMC.

Enjoy your cruise!

Absolutely you can stay aboard, enjoy Room Service lunch or go to Lido. It isn't too likely the MDR will be open for lunch. We have stayed aboard a few times when at the island for various reasons and enjoyed our day. :)

I appreciate the goods news that I won't starve if I stay on board. :-)

Superstitious - Nah! But then again... Having a broken foot really put a damper on the rest of our cruise that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by LindaSSF

I appreciate the goods news that I won't starve if I stay on board. :-)

Superstitious - Nah! But then again... Having a broken foot really put a damper on the rest of our cruise that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once bitten, twice shy? :D

Get off early, do the beach thing for a couple of hours, get back onboard for lunch is my plan. Just last week the lunch on the island was nothing to brag about IMO.

DaveOKC

Darn........ did you try the ribs? They weren't good? I never have them at home and that is one of my treats on vacation. :)

We like to go ashore long enough to enjoy an "umbrella drink" in the tropical atmosphere then go back to the ship for a leisurely lunch in the Lido at a table looking out at the Cay. After lunch we retreat to the Sea View Pool deck for a quiet afternoon as most other passengers are still on the island. It makes for a lovely, peaceful day :)

Don't forget the spa specials on the HMC day as well. Living near the beach in FL, HMC is not as big a draw for us, so I spend 1/2 the time on the ship and a few hours walking around and taking pictures on HMC depending upon my mood. It's your vacation enjoy it as you like.

Typically DH and I go back to the ship for lunch :) We don't care for the BBQ at HMC. The only exception is if we are lucky enough to be in the Oasis with some roll call members. That food is great:)

On my last cruise that stopped at HMC, I was crippled with a bad back. I didn't leave the ship and had a wonderful afternoon watching people having fun on the island (parasailing, horseback riding, etc.) The Lido Buffet was open, as was the outside grill. Quite honestly, I was never too impressed with the HMC outdoor barbeque. However, if, unlike me, you don't live in a place with white sand beaches and tropical vegetation, HMC is a wonderful way to spend a day. But being capitive on board ship ain't bad!

For those who lunch in Lido on HMC day, do they offer ribs? :D

According to my Lido Lunch menu from Dec 2013 (HMC Day), no ribs were served on board. I don't remember seeing ribs on HMC for our cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PC-Day-02.pdf

Edited by Crew News

Someone's got a hankering for ribs! :)

I do!! I never eat them at home but love getting them at HMC. Every time we have been there (a great many times), they have never failed to offer ribs :). I will admit they are not always consistently good. Sometimes more fatty or less tasty but hey, they're ribs!!! :D For me, sitting at a picnic bench, in a swim suit, with bougainvillia flowers all around and island music in the background....... a real TREAT.

I've stayed on board several times when we were at HMC and no ribs were offered. DH did bring me back some from the BBQ at HMC.

Thanks, Carol.

I didn't remember ever seeing ribs in the Lido buffet even on days we arrived at HMC and had to leave due to weather/unsafe tendering. I would have expected the Chefs had them ready to bring so the island to would have served them in Lido instead but they didn't.

Edited by sail7seas