Savoury bites

Merly

I remember on our Explorer cruise everyone at our table liked the savory bites so much that our waiter made sure we had a plateful of them when we arrived for dinner every night

That is too funny as it reminded me of one of my cruises, I asked for the savory bites the very first day - he had them but not visible on the tray; the next night - didn't have to ask -- plunk two bites on my plate -- next night -- plunk -- next he comes with the tray and asks me what I want -- I look at him 'are you kidding' - he moved selections away to display a whole bunch of them as the table wanted to know what I got they didn't LOL. From then on our table got Savory Bites! So YES, I love them!

Edited by jaspercat

I remember several years ago reading about the wonderful savory bites and couldn't wait to try them. Meh.....well more than meh, didn't care for them at all. I must be the only person in the history of Royal Caribbean not to like them.:o I promise to let everyone else have them, just keeps your mitts off the cheese rolls.:D

Savory Base is likely a yeast extract (e.g. marmite/vegemite) or hydrolyzed plant protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (e.g. soy sauce), which are both very high in glutamates (which give food a savory "umami" flavor). Unfortunately marmite/vegemite and soy sauce also have a ton of salt, which the industrial savory base doesn't, so you'd have to adjust accordingly. You could probably use other high-glutemate foods like sun-dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, anchovy paste, fish sauce, bullion cubes, "Better than Bullion", etc, but they'd also add other flavors you wouldn't find in Savory Bites on the ship.

What about name brand Bragg's amimos. This is an alternative to soy sauce.

On one of the cruises, an assistant waiter brought me olive oil and balsalmic vinegar to mix to dip the savoury bites in, I was really hooked then and on ever cruise since then I or my wife instruct the assistant waiter to have olive oil and balsalmic vinegar at the table and lots of bites.:)

One of the things I look forward to in cruising RCCI is the savoury bites they serve at dinner. These are the small triangular seeded rolls. I love them, sad I know. Does any one have the recipe please? I would like to make them for a dinner I am having.

Many thanks

Here's the easiest recipe I know:

Ingredients

1 travel agent + 1 telephone

OR

1 computing device + 1 web browser

1 credit card

2 available nights, minimum

1 brown bag (optional)

Procedure

1. Using telephone, call your preferred travel agent.

2. If preferred travel agent is not available, combine computing device with website address "rccl.com"

3. Set aside at least 2 nights that have no conflicting appointments, for use later in recipe

4. Gradually mix in 1 credit card, by applying approximately $250 deposit to travel agent or website (deposit may vary depending on nights set aside)

5. Let deposit rest until final payment is due

6. Make final payment to travel agent or website

7. In approximately 45 days, your available nights will be ready for use. Get on ship and proceed to MDR

8. Request Savory Bites.

9. Optional - Request several extra and place in brown bag for use later.

I hope this is served at my Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Savory Base is likely a yeast extract (e.g. marmite/vegemite) or hydrolyzed plant protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (e.g. soy sauce), which are both very high in glutamates (which give food a savory "umami" flavor). Unfortunately marmite/vegemite and soy sauce also have a ton of salt, which the industrial savory base doesn't, so you'd have to adjust accordingly. You could probably use other high-glutemate foods like sun-dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, anchovy paste, fish sauce, bullion cubes, "Better than Bullion", etc, but they'd also add other flavors you wouldn't find in Savory Bites on the ship.

another posters take on savory base. See post #8.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523486

Here's the easiest recipe I know:

Ingredients

1 travel agent + 1 telephone

OR

1 computing device + 1 web browser

1 credit card

2 available nights, minimum

1 brown bag (optional)

Procedure

1. Using telephone, call your preferred travel agent.

2. If preferred travel agent is not available, combine computing device with website address "rccl.com"

3. Set aside at least 2 nights that have no conflicting appointments, for use later in recipe

4. Gradually mix in 1 credit card, by applying approximately $250 deposit to travel agent or website (deposit may vary depending on nights set aside)

5. Let deposit rest until final payment is due

6. Make final payment to travel agent or website

7. In approximately 45 days, your available nights will be ready for use. Get on ship and proceed to MDR

8. Request Savory Bites.

9. Optional - Request several extra and place in brown bag for use later.

This exact recipe has gotten me in trouble....especially when you add a hint of BOGOHO and WOW!! 3 cruises over the next 17 months!! [emoji15]

I miss that they used to have lots of different flavors and types of savory bites... now I just see the poppy seed version... I remember onion, plain, and more...

I thought I was imagining this. I remember them as being more like an everything bagel.

On our last cruise I preferred the pumpkin seed and the cheese rolls.

Edited by marci22

I'm another non-believer when it comes to Savory Bites. DH loves them - and our waiter knows after the first night, 4 SB to DH.

I love the cheese rolls. Not so crazy about the pumpkin rolls. Fall back for me would be the plain sourdough rolls.

And the only time I eat bread is on a cruise. So, it's a good thing I don't have recipes.

• 7 years later...

So I Asked for a recipe for the Pumpkin Seed Rolls and they gave me this.

I did my best at a conversion rate via excel but have included the original amounts Royal's recipe called for.  I have not tried making them yet.  Not sure where to get some of the ingredients

High Gluten Flour                                           2-2/3 Cups                                          80 LBS

Mix Bread Bavarian Farmers Rye                  1-1/3 Cups                                          40 LBS

Yeast Instant Dry                                           1-1/2 Teaspoons                                1 LBS

Water                                                             1-1/3 Cups                                          8-3/4 Gal

Mix of Premium Baguette                             ¼ Cup                                                  8 LBS

Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pumpkin Seeds   ¼ Cup Inside Roll                                6 LBS

Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pumpkin Seeds   1/3 Cup Topping                                10 LBS

Thin Grated Swiss Cheese                              ¼ Cup Topping                                   6 LBS

1 – Place Dry Ingredients into Bowl

2 – Add Water

3 – Missing with Hook 4 minutes Slow then 4 Min at Fast Speed

4 – Add Pumpkin Seeds and Mix for 1 Minute

5 – Rest the Dough for Half an Hour on the Table

6 – Scale the Dough for 1.5 OZ Each or Loaf of 3.6 LBS to divide into 36 PCS

7 – Place 35 PCS into Baking Tray with Parchment Paper // Spread Swiss Cheese then Seeds on Top

8 – Proof around 35 Minutes

9 – Bake with 25 Steam at 390 Deg 5 Minutes First // Then 15 Minutes at 410 Deg

10 – Reserve on the side – do not cover with plastic wrap

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sjhanksaz said:

So I Asked for a recipe for the Pumpkin Seed Rolls and they gave me this.

I did my best at a conversion rate via excel but have included the original amounts Royal's recipe called for.  I have not tried making them yet.  Not sure where to get some of the ingredients

High Gluten Flour                                           2-2/3 Cups                                          80 LBS

Mix Bread Bavarian Farmers Rye                  1-1/3 Cups                                          40 LBS

Yeast Instant Dry                                           1-1/2 Teaspoons                                1 LBS

Water                                                             1-1/3 Cups                                          8-3/4 Gal

Mix of Premium Baguette                             ¼ Cup                                                  8 LBS

Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pumpkin Seeds   ¼ Cup Inside Roll                                6 LBS

Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pumpkin Seeds   1/3 Cup Topping                                10 LBS

Thin Grated Swiss Cheese                              ¼ Cup Topping                                   6 LBS

1 – Place Dry Ingredients into Bowl

2 – Add Water

3 – Missing with Hook 4 minutes Slow then 4 Min at Fast Speed

4 – Add Pumpkin Seeds and Mix for 1 Minute

5 – Rest the Dough for Half an Hour on the Table

6 – Scale the Dough for 1.5 OZ Each or Loaf of 3.6 LBS to divide into 36 PCS

7 – Place 35 PCS into Baking Tray with Parchment Paper // Spread Swiss Cheese then Seeds on Top

8 – Proof around 35 Minutes

9 – Bake with 25 Steam at 390 Deg 5 Minutes First // Then 15 Minutes at 410 Deg

10 – Reserve on the side – do not cover with plastic wrap

Yikes !  Looks like you’d be making a LOT of them !

14 hours ago, flamingos said:

What is Mix of Premium Baguette?

Your guess is as good as mine.  I am thinking it's a mix they already use onboard to make other rolls.

May not be so easy to replicate this one.

• Like 1