Golden -your experiences

gabbyisadog

Sailed her a couple of weeks ago & are going back next week. One of my favorite Princess ships. We had no issues with upkeep of rooms, etc. Crew were absolutely wonderful. Food was great but IC didn't have begniets (sp). They did have cronuts though. Make sure you get them heated.

I was on the Golden in October and loved my Mini suite, especially the mattress. This was my forth time on the Golden and I had a great time. There is some wear showing but it did not distract from my good time.

Have fun....would be happy to answer any questions.

Just did a B2B on her. Both were three day cruises and had different cabins for each segment.

First room steward left dust on the bathroom shelves. Second one was much better. Never saw a supervisor checking their work.

Had a major problem the second leg. Guest services was able to offer solutions in a timely manner.

Food is very subjective. It was well presented and served at the proper temps. Waitstaff was wonderful.

Not my favorite ship but for the right price I'd sail on her again.

A lot of your experience has to do with your itinerary, what you expect, and how picky you are about what you expect on your cruise. We had a great time on the Golden on our B2B a couple of weeks ago. We found nothing old, tired or worn out. No need for a refurbish just yet in our experience. Just the regular Grand class experience we have had on other ships. The food is always subjective and all we can say is the Main Dining Room was great, the Horizon Court could have been better on meals other than breakfast, it was fine, and everything else was the same (we liked it). All I can say is we would sail on the Golden with out hesitation if the itinerary was something we wanted to do.

YMMV

Hope you have a great cruise if you go (we did on ours).:cool:

Edited by ar1950

We were on the Golden last month for a short cruise. I don't feel the Golden is that bad. Our cabin steward did a fine job with keeping the room clean as always. The food was typical Princess but then food is a very subjective issue. The entertainment was good as always.

Take good care of the Golden on your sail to South America. We will be boarding her in January for a Chile to Argentina sail.

...The reviews of Golden make you want to bring own sheets and towels and 409...

Then don't read the reviews of the Crown ;). Seriously, though, I sailed on the Golden recently and have booked another cruise on her in the spring. While she could stand some freshening here and there, she is in good shape overall and the crew was excellent. Food is subjective, but I thought the MDR and IC were fine, and the HC buffet was mediocre. Entertainment was typical Princess, with excellent pianist and mariachi band on my cruise. Stage shows were so-so. I didn't see the onboard comedian, but heard he was quite good.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Ryndam2002

Having sailed on her half a dozen times over the last year I can simply say she is a tired ship in desperate need of drydock.

My experience was the opposite. You'll find some people like the Golden and some don't (just like everything else in the world.)

We've got our fifth cruise on the Golden booked. We absolutely love this ship and did the South America cruise on her in March. I don't know what the review you were reading was talking about. We had none of those problems. I don't understand people who say "that ship was old and tired". I've never seen a Princess ship that wasn't beautifully maintained. I guess we all look for different things.

We sailed on the Golden on a B2B 31 day South American cruise in March. We chose a mini suite because of the extra room over a balcony cabin. We requested the egg crate and top sheet and they we supplied right away.

Sheets and towels were OK, and we had a fantastic steward.

Food in the IC and HC were good, but as someone said, food is subjective.

In the MDR, the temperature and presentation of dinners was good, but to our taste, and only our taste, we felt the seasonings had been dumbed down.

When we got to Cabo San Lucas, we had fish tacos with fresh salsa and they were wonderful!

Edited by Talisker92

We booked a very last minute 16 day cruise leaving 12/3 on the Golden. Have cruised a lot but not Princess for 30 years. The reviews of Golden make you want to bring own sheets and towels and 409.

What is your experience? We are in a mini suite.

I was on the Golden Oct 6-13. My stateroom was just fine. Any concerns about your bedding speak with your cabin steward. He/she was take care of any needs you may have and will ensure you will always have clean sheets. My stateroom was spotless. I always had clean towels in the bathroom. The interiors lounger/bars/restaurants looks new and clean and quite beautiful. I thought the exterior decks looked worn and dirty, but with thousands of passengers and the outside elements/weather it is to be expected. It was still OK. I loved the movies under the star which was quite unique. Foods was typical upscale mass market. Foods was very good in the main dining room. I found all the meats excellent and of high quality and I'm very picky. Food is very subjective. I did find the food choice in the Lido cafe at times strange, but I always found something good to eat. Princess still offers an overall good cruise product. I'd give the food a solid B+ and the ship interiors an A, exterior/outer decks a C. Staff was excellent. Just keep your expectations real. It wasn't my best cruise nor my worst. I'd go back on the ship. I'm a very experienced cruiser with over 30+ cruise on every major line so I have a lot to compare it to.

We just got off our first Princess sailing (a b2b in a mini suite. We agree with DanaPointBob that the Golden needs work, but after over 40 cruises on other lines, we also agree that a cruise is what you make of it and we wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

Our primary issue was that the exit nearest our cabin (our access door to the elevators) was blocked off for two days of the first leg and another for the second, meaning we had to walk all the way to the next exit, and then back again to access anything in the aft part of the ship. Not a tragedy; just a frustration. Another frustration was the closing of the pool deck bathrooms for the second leg. I know they need to maintain them but I missed 20 minutes of the movie, trekking down to the next restroom, and then waiting and waiting because one of its two stalls was also out of order. We never did get to swim; apparently they're also having trouble with the heating system for the pools and they were all very cold. All minor conveniences which in no way ruined our experience, but add them to other reported issues, and I do think Golden could definitely benefit from a refurb.

To the OP, I don't know which deck your mini is on but we found the Dolphin open balcony to be rather pleasant. Yes, it's bit weird at first, knowing people can look down at you, but the open air feel was well worth it to us, especially at sunset, and at night, watching the stars.

Hopefully, the Golden will have resolved all her issues by 12/3, but even if not, I feel confident that you will still have a great cruise. I just wish we could be sailing with you.

Just this week finished a B2B on the Golden. Our 13th & 14th Princess cruise. Outstanding was the wait service in main dining room and the Future Cruise Director. Major disappointment was in the upkeep of the public areas. Several bathrooms closed the entire cruise. Worn out furniture, carpet pulled away from corners, water leaking through out the ship. Bar service was non-existent at pool area during MUTS. While 2 servers stood and watched the movie more then 20 minutes.We had a future cruise planned on the Golden. We canceled that cruise and booked another.

Just this week finished a B2B on the Golden. Our 13th & 14th Princess cruise. Outstanding was the wait service in main dining room and the Future Cruise Director. Major disappointment was in the upkeep of the public areas. Several bathrooms closed the entire cruise. Worn out furniture, carpet pulled away from corners, water leaking through out the ship. Bar service was non-existent at pool area during MUTS. While 2 servers stood and watched the movie more then 20 minutes.We had a future cruise planned on the Golden. We canceled that cruise and booked another.

I think I am in for a long 16 days. At least I am not decorating the house for Christmas or doing holiday entertaining.

We were on it in April for a 28 day cruise and thought the ship was in great shape and the crew was outstanding. We especially liked having breakfast outside in the back area of the ship behind the buffet area which is covered. Did not feel crowded.

I observed all the same things and also found the same to be the case on the Grand. It amazes me that others claim no such issues exist. I would add the fans on several decks attempting to remediate mold from the many leaks.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

Having sailed on her half a dozen times over the last year I can simply say she is a tired ship in desperate need of drydock.

I could honestly say I think the ship was in the best shape of the entire Princess fleet. An outstanding ship with a great cruise experience.

Perhaps you were on another ship???

I could honestly say I think the ship was in the best shape of the entire Princess fleet. An outstanding ship with a great cruise experience.

Perhaps you were on another ship???

LMAO! Best shape of the entire fleet? Seriously.... Perhaps an Optometrist might help.

LMAO! Best shape of the entire fleet? Seriously.... Perhaps an Optometrist might help.

I think part of the differing opinions of the Golden (mine falls in the middle), is that everyone has different expectations and tolerances when it comes to a cruise. I am willing to overlook some deferred maintenance, as long as the A/C and the plumbing work, and the staff and food are good. Yes, I think she is due for a drydock, but I am more than willing to sail on her until then.