SKY Suite Rant

ProfessorEFFE

We had a sky suite for our honeymoon and booked before I really discovered Cruise Critic. I actually started a thread asking if I'd done the right thing booking a SS over AQ as there are a lot of perks in AQ that suites don't get.

We did have a lovely honeymoon and as we had a corner SS (can never remember if it's a 1 or 2!) had a huge balcony and big window. However, I wouldn't book a SS again unless we got an exceptional deal. It cost a lot of money for effectively a bigger room and butler (who we hardly used!) The 2 specialty meals were nice but I was miffed that we couldn't eat in Blu.

Perhaps once the reviews start coming in for the suite perks next year, I might change my mind about the worth of a SS.

Going back to June 12 here but we had to pay for Blu ($5 I think) but when we'd spent thousands on a SS, I refused to pay more for something that (technically) a 'lower' class got for free.

Too bad that you were "miffed" over something that was not even true. Did you ask someone and they told you that you would have to pay an extra $5 a person as a gratuity to dine in Blu? Or did you just assume. If you just assumed you should have tried it once to see if the $5 was a significant factor for you. When I was in a SS I did not have to pay anything and I dined in Blu most nights, but I did leave a optional gratuity at the end of the cruise.

We did not use the butler either and I agree that the new suite dining option coming in April will be a significant improvement in benefits.

Cooso, why couldn't y eat at Blu?

To the poster asking about how to utilize the butler and cafe lattes:

Your butler can do anything for you that your eligible to have and fulfill any reasonable wishes that you may or may not expect unLess specifically prohibited.

If you'd like an alcoholic drink delivered, sure, no problem, you'll pay regardless of the package you have, as room service doesn't include drinks, but if you want a special meal, they'll try their best to honors it.

You can get an non alcoholic coffee drink you'd like, as often as your willing to order it in your room, as the benefit is only for room service.

Need new key cards? Don't wait in line, call your butler. I'd like smoked salmon for breakfast, but it's not on the room service menu...no problem just ask and it will be delivered.

The possibilities are nearly endless, you just need to figure out what it is that YOU want to make it the perfect vacation. Think "wouldn't it be great if our butler....."

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Going back to June 12 here but we had to pay for Blu ($5 I think) but when we'd spent thousands on a SS, I refused to pay more for something that (technically) a 'lower' class got for free.

Aqua class was never set up based on what you pay, originally suite passengers could not eat there.

The sky suite is technically a suite.

Actually, a sky suite is not "technically a suite". "Suite" is short for "suite of rooms".

Of course, Celebrity, other cruise lines and hotels can call their rooms whatever they wish. It enables them to group certain rooms together when offering the rooms certain benefits and privileges but calling them "suites" makes it difficult for their customers to understand what accommodation they will receive.

In Celebrity's case, it makes it difficult because, with their graduated "Suite Class" perks, we have to result to referring to "higher-end suites" and, then, having to qualify by saying whether or not we are including Celebrity Suites.

As for having larger lounges to accommodate Sky Suites on Celebrity's new ships, I am not sure that this would be a good idea. I suspect [and I have little concrete evidence for this] that Celebrity will increase the number of higher-end suites on their new ships. If I am correct, the suite lounge will already have to be much larger and it will be difficult for Celebrity to retain the intimate atmosphere of the lounge.

I vote to keep the designation the same, and call a cabin with a butler a suite. The sky suite butler service may not be as amazing as upper suite butler service sometimes but it is a nice little extra to have and we appreciate it. Every so often the butler service is very good there too.

Already it seems the suite dining room will have the folks who met and know each other well from Michaels and the others who do not go to Michael's, but being there are so many more SS I think it will fine. I also wondered if on some ships SS1 would gain entrance to Michael's. It sure seemed underutilized on our cruise. the host informed me it was quite busy on other cruises however.

Suites paying in Blu or eating in Blu has a long history of inconsistency. Our last cruise in a suite not once did anyone ask us to pay the extra gratuity of 5 dollars to eat there. Although it happen on every other sky suite cruise at least by the second night and if not every time, many times. I also found that phase annoying, as we had paid our tips in advance and we didn't get the benefits of Blu or that great shower. I guess, you just couldn't have it all! Lol I believe the policy was abolished to charge suites in Blu. I also think the new dining room will make Blu visits less frequent, mostly to meet friends dining there or out of nostalgia.

I vote to keep the designation the same, and call a cabin with a butler a suite. The sky suite butler service may not be as amazing as upper suite butler service sometimes but it is a nice little extra to have and we appreciate it. Every so often the butler service is very good there too.

Already it seems the suite dining room will have the folks who met and know each other well from Michaels and the others who do not go to Michael's, but being there are so many more SS I think it will fine. I also wondered if on some ships SS1 would gain entrance to Michael's. It sure seemed underutilized on our cruise. the host informed me it was quite busy on other cruises however.

Suites paying in Blu or eating in Blu has a long history of inconsistency. Our last cruise in a suite not once did anyone ask us to pay the extra gratuity of 5 dollars to eat there. Although it happen on every other sky suite cruise at least by the second night and if not every time, many times. I also found that phase annoying, as we had paid our tips in advance and we didn't get the benefits of Blu or that great shower. I guess, you just couldn't have it all! Lol I believe the policy was abolished to charge suites in Blu. I also think the new dining room will make Blu visits less frequent, mostly to meet friends dining there or out of nostalgia.

We get to vote?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We always look at the price of a sky vs the CS or RS

We like the the michaels club perk and will pay $75 per day extra for that benefit but not much more or will just buy the Booze package and enjoy the sky.

Remember you do get extra points and will get to enjoy the Suite dining after April 15

Anyways that's my take... It's an entry level Suite but not always the better value.

Exactly how we look at it...

And if the Suite Dining experience lives up to expectations, we'll be in suites for the rest of our lives on X.

Hey,

You never know, I have seen Celebrity reps weigh in on thread discussions before....So, they are obviously watching. Might as well make your preferences known...it might have an effect on futue policy. We are obviously the ones that REALLY care as we choose to be here discussing all these issues big small and tiny. :)

We get to vote?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks, yet again Curt for sharing the Celebrity Perks and policies with us.....anyone wishing to bask in the full wonder of Celebrity Cruises, contact...Curt....he will explian in detail how it is not really soot coming from the "Celebrity"ships funnels it is really a form of dark colored Rainbow.

"sky suites' are the same as other lines call "junior suites".

Entry level suite for the line.

The room is larger, they have the majority of perks as all suites.

To sum up Celebrity's suite program:

• Sky Suites get all perks of the suite program except for those few that are (including the Suite Dining room come April)added into subsequent cabin classes, commensurate with cabin fare paid
  • Celebrity Suites add in Michael's club access
  • Royal Suites and above add in free bottles of booze, and come April unlimitied internet, premium beverages and specialty dining, along with a fare increase of about $1500-$2000 per week.

Thanks, yet again Curt for sharing the Celebrity Perks and policies with us.....anyone wishing to bask in the full wonder of Celebrity Cruises, contact...Curt....he will explian in detail how it is not really soot coming from the "Celebrity"ships funnels it is really a form of dark colored Rainbow.

In fact, RCI has committed to lessening its soot emissions.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-steaming-ahead-toward-global-emissions-standards-300013124.html

The article notes the costs are included in capital guidance reports, however I've not been able to locate those to determine he cost associated with the project. It includes 6 of Celebrity ships, I'd assume all M class, and likely the oldest S class, Sillie.

So you are right, that soot will turn to rainbows over the next couple years.

As Americans...most of us seem to have an aversion to personal service. It is more a "guilty pleasure" to think on, when confronted by it we either don't know how to use the service, feel guilty for not doing it ourselves or just discount it as a worthless service......

Remember....you worked hard to pay for the suite.....take the time before the cruise to think about things the Butler might do for you....and especially on the cruise before you trudge down to customer service with a complaint...think..hmmmm could the Butler help with this?....perhaps I should ask him if he can...remember, if you don't use him Celebrity might think they should just discontinue the program...as Princess did.

Cooso, why couldn't y eat at Blu?

To the poster asking about how to utilize the butler and cafe lattes:

Your butler can do anything for you that your eligible to have and fulfill any reasonable wishes that you may or may not expect unLess specifically prohibited.

If you'd like an alcoholic drink delivered, sure, no problem, you'll pay regardless of the package you have, as room service doesn't include drinks, but if you want a special meal, they'll try their best to honors it.

You can get an non alcoholic coffee drink you'd like, as often as your willing to order it in your room, as the benefit is only for room service.

Need new key cards? Don't wait in line, call your butler. I'd like smoked salmon for breakfast, but it's not on the room service menu...no problem just ask and it will be delivered.

The possibilities are nearly endless, you just need to figure out what it is that YOU want to make it the perfect vacation. Think "wouldn't it be great if our butler....."

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Touche Curt.......LOL

In fact, RCI has committed to lessening its soot emissions.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-steaming-ahead-toward-global-emissions-standards-300013124.html

The article notes the costs are included in capital guidance reports, however I've not been able to locate those to determine he cost associated with the project. It includes 6 of Celebrity ships, I'd assume all M class, and likely the oldest S class, Sillie.

So you are right, that soot will turn to rainbows over the next couple years.

Too bad that you were "miffed" over something that was not even true. Did you ask someone and they told you that you would have to pay an extra $5 a person as a gratuity to dine in Blu? Or did you just assume. If you just assumed you should have tried it once to see if the $5 was a significant factor for you. When I was in a SS I did not have to pay anything and I dined in Blu most nights, but I did leave a optional gratuity at the end of the cruise.

We did not use the butler either and I agree that the new suite dining option coming in April will be a significant improvement in benefits.

Do you have access to Blu for breakfast or do you need to be in an Aqua Suite for that?

Sky Suite is a clearly what anyone or any hotel would call a Junior Suite. RS is basically the starting basic suite.

Do the RS come with free specialty dining every night between now and April, or only after April?

What else do the RS offer between now and April?

I would not say so....junior suites almost never have any of the perks of a "true" suite the SS does. Also, you are off with your statement that RS is the starting "Basic" suite. Aside from the fact that you left out the class of celebrity suites which, is between the Sky suite and the Royal suite. There is nothing "Basic" about the Royal it is a VERY nice accomodation.

Do you have access to Blu for breakfast or do you need to be in an Aqua Suite for that?

Sky Suite is a clearly what anyone or any hotel would call a Junior Suite. RS is basically the starting basic suite.

Do the RS come with free specialty dining every night between now and April, or only after April?

What else do the RS offer between now and April?

I would not say so....junior suites almost never have any of the perks of a "true" suite the SS does. Also, you are off with your statement that RS is the starting "Basic" suite. Aside from the fact that you left out the class of celebrity suites which, is between the Sky suite and the Royal suite. There is nothing "Basic" about the Royal it is a VERY nice accomodation.

You're right. I guess the Celebrity Suite is the equivalent of a standard hotel room suite. Sitll lots of other questions up there.

Not sure about BLU for breakfast......as to the rest I would suggest looking at the Celebrity website might be best for you.....these questions and more can be readily answered there

You're right. I guess the Celebrity Suite is the equivalent of a standard hotel room suite. Sitll lots of other questions up there.

Found this to be an interesting thread. I did a "rant" a short time ago regarding the benefits of a Sky Suite. Is it a true 'suite", no. Did we like it YES! We liked it so much we booked two more SS's for our upcoming cruises. Have yet to try the S class SS but that is next March on the Equinox. We like the M class ships where there are not as many SS's. Our butler, Rudoph, was wonderful and we enjoyed having him come at 4PM with tea, coffee and a small "treat". Other than that we hardly used him. The biggest perk was the closet!!!!!!! I loved having all that room for a 10 day!!! And the bathroom was larger. For those reasons alone we glowed!!

We did eat breakfast in Blu almost everyday. And we ate in Blu almost every night. That topic is a whole other thread. Found that Blu has gotten away from the original reason it started. Fresh, lite, healthy meals. Another thread.

Happy Sailing whatever accomodation you choose. We love being on a ship and enjoying life

:D

Edited by cruiserone

We had a sky suite for our honeymoon and booked before I really discovered Cruise Critic. I actually started a thread asking if I'd done the right thing booking a SS over AQ as there are a lot of perks in AQ that suites don't get.

We did have a lovely honeymoon and as we had a corner SS (can never remember if it's a 1 or 2!) had a huge balcony and big window. However, I wouldn't book a SS again unless we got an exceptional deal. It cost a lot of money for effectively a bigger room and butler (who we hardly used!) The 2 specialty meals were nice but I was miffed that we couldn't eat in Blu.

Perhaps once the reviews start coming in for the suite perks next year, I might change my mind about the worth of a SS.

having just disembarked the Eclipse and also had a sky suite which was wonderful, based on conversations with Aqua guests and reviewing the AQua menu you missed nothing. The Luxury of a suite is superior. We enjoyed the MDR and specialty restaurants so much more. Have also sailed AQ a few times and Blu IMO is so overrated

Not sure if this was answered. Suites and Aq can have breakfast in Blu. But the suite resturant will be open soon and they have breakfast for all suites including the sky suite. Sure the air is more rarified for higher category suites and the treatment is top notch up there. But in everything we booked recently the cost differential between sky and CS was 1800pp per week.

• 7 months later...

The last comment here was in Jan. I went from Aqua Class to a Sky Suite, yes it was an increase but I think it was worth it. I am surprising my husband as Oct 18th is our anniversary. I have the entire trip planned, he believes we have a town car picking us up, but I upgraded to a limo, I am going to give him a card that will tell him about the upgrade only before we get in NYC. I am excited about the sky suite and I do not mind that we cannot get into Michael's Club. I have the premium package and a butler. Yippi. this is a special time and I worked and saved to make this a special time for him. I cannot wait to see his face. I like it the way it is, and I cannot wait. Maybe one day I can do a higher suite but honestly, I have sailed inside cabins just so I can squeeze one more cruise in my year.

Dorene