SKY Suite Rant

ProfessorEFFE

Hi all,

Just as a FYI: You can visit this page to see the different benefits for each type of stateroom and suite. However, please note that some services and amenities will begin in April 2015. http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/123go-all-inclusive

Edited by Celebrity Cruises

well the CS doesn't get the free Spec Rest, or the free bev package & free internet....but it does get Michael's Club admittance which pretty makes up for the bev package and at Elite I already get enough free internet minutes...and don't care about the Spec Rest....so it works better for us than the SS which I just think is priced too high...but nice it works for you....:)[/quote

I may have misunderstood your interest. Yes the Cs gets the Suite resturant in April. You may be referring to unlimited Specialty resturant access for Royal and above.

Edited by hulamoon
Clarity

Do check out the link...when you get that CS you will get the specialty resturant and Michaels. I hope that will be a nice suprise for you. :)

Yes you get the new suite restaurant & Michael's, but the RS & PH also get free specialty restaurants in any of them for any or all nights, CS gets 1 or 2 nights only depending on length of cruise and that's fine, we've "been there done that" and it's all good....just happy to be on a ship!!!:):D

Edited by Gracie115

Having stayed in both Sky and Celebrity suites, the Celebrity suite is much nicer. First, it is large with great closet and storage. The bedroom doesn't have a window- but sleeping in a totally dark room is wonderful! The enhanced benefits are also great.

If you can afford it, try it. You will not regret it!

I know it is nice as I visited one, but as I said the bedroom without a view is too much of a negative for us. I know it is not a problem for everyone, but it is for us.

I am going to try the Royal Suite someday.

Edited by jagoffee

I know it is nice as I visited one, but as I said the bedroom without a view is too much of a negative for us. I know it is not a problem for everyone, but it is for us.

The Michael's Club access is the only extra benefit over a Sky Suite, correct? (Besides the size).

Correct.

Thank you ALL for your reply's. I guess my point is why hide the information that a Sky Suite isn't really included in the perks. That's all. I was trying to do some tongue-in-cheek there too. If you're going to advertise all these benefits why make it difficult to figure out one is not the same as the others. I don't want anything for free that isn't really included. Basically a Sky Suite is Concierge class with a Butler and that's ok.

Will I spring for a real Suite sure if the price is right!

Again thank you ALL for your responses.

I enjoyed and appreciated your rant. I agree. Change these to C1's and be done. Let a suite be a suite. Its like buying a Mercedes with no leather seats...doesn't compute....

I also have my eye on a Penthouse! But we truly enjoy 3-4 cruises per year, so that isn't going to happen! I am just happy to be onboard. I couldn't take an inside cabin however. That would be too dark for me.

Royal Caribbean has a virtual balcony cabin- I would be very curious in how that is.

Enjoy your cruise-no matter which cabin/suite you have!

I also have my eye on a Penthouse! But we truly enjoy 3-4 cruises per year, so that isn't going to happen! I am just happy to be onboard. I couldn't take an inside cabin however. That would be too dark for me.

Royal Caribbean has a virtual balcony cabin- I would be very curious in how that is.

Enjoy your cruise-no matter which cabin/suite you have!

Agree about the inside. Thanks, we always enjoy our cruises from OV to Suite. Next cruise is in January, but we are not wishing our time away because we enjoy this holiday season. Enjoy your cruise as well.

• 1 month later...

We will be staying in our first suite next month on the Equinox. We booked a sky suite for several reasons, the main one being that we only needed 80 more loyalty points to reach elite level and could not accomplish this with any lower room level. We also love a large balcony so we decided on an aft S1 which also has the benefit of the large porthole to make the cabin brighter as well as provide a better view. The extra space in the cabin, upgraded bath, free dining in two specialty restaurants and access to Blu also seem like nice perks.

Since we've never had a butler before, I'm not sure if that benefit of a sky suite will turn out to be one we will really appreciate. Perhaps some of you can give us ideas on things we might ask the butler to do that you have enjoyed the most.

Also I don't like regular coffee so I'm looking forward to the free cappuccino. Can you tell me if lattes will also be free and if you are limited to only one of these types of drink per day?

Thanks in advance for the answers to my questions and other comments that you could add to help turn our first stay in a suite into our best cruise yet.

Edited by Im A Happy Cruiser

Sky suites are the equivalent of junior suites on RCCL about 1 and a half cabins in size.

If you stay in a junior suite on RCCL you don't get into the Concierge Club for the nightly cocktails, it has to be a Grand Suite and above for access. You do get the Butler and the speciality restaurant visit(s) with a Sky suite which you don't get on RCCL.

I like the current names.....they are richer in imagery...the way you seem to prefer, why not just name them Suite 1 Suite 2 Suite 3 and Suite 4...for me I will continue to prefer Penthouse, Royal, Celebrity, etc

Love the idea of renaming the suites:)

sky suite becomes classic suite

Celebrity suite becomes Premium Suite, or maybe Elite Suites

royal & presidential and reflection suites become Specialty Suites or Zenith Suites

We like the sky suite, its benefits and the butler just fine. No need to rename, recategorize or other wise change. The current benefits include a butler, larger room, upgraded bath & bedding, free specialty dining, afternoon tea, cappuccino and meals delivered & served by the butler, access to Blu, and dinner in the suites dining room coming April 2015.

Also coming in April there will be more perks the higher up the suite category you book, CS will not get the perks of a RS just like it is now between suite classes.

Mary Lou

Very well summarized, Mary Lou. We enjoyed our first Sky Suite in December enough to have booked two more. The new dining room will be the icing on the cake.

We had a sky suite for our honeymoon and booked before I really discovered Cruise Critic. I actually started a thread asking if I'd done the right thing booking a SS over AQ as there are a lot of perks in AQ that suites don't get.

We did have a lovely honeymoon and as we had a corner SS (can never remember if it's a 1 or 2!) had a huge balcony and big window. However, I wouldn't book a SS again unless we got an exceptional deal. It cost a lot of money for effectively a bigger room and butler (who we hardly used!) The 2 specialty meals were nice but I was miffed that we couldn't eat in Blu.

Perhaps once the reviews start coming in for the suite perks next year, I might change my mind about the worth of a SS.

The sky suite is technically a suite. I agree with other posters who speculate that it's simply the number of sky suites that would be a crowding issue for the lounge. That being said, I wonder with this push for suites, the new build down the road will have a larger lounge that will accommodate all suite guests. It would certainly make booking a sky suite more enticing for someone like myself that currently books verandah cabins. We'll see.

many other cruise lines also refer to mini suites as suites but they don't offer the same perks as a full suite.

Plus some cruise lines that have suites don't offer any other perks than it being a larger cabin

Happy cruising.🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I thought that you CAN eat in Blu on a space available basis?

Were you denied, or am I mistaken?

Going back to June 12 here but we had to pay for Blu ($5 I think) but when we'd spent thousands on a SS, I refused to pay more for something that (technically) a 'lower' class got for free.

"sky suites' are the same as other lines call "junior suites".

Entry level suite for the line.

The room is larger, they have the majority of perks as all suites.

To sum up Celebrity's suite program:

• Sky Suites get all perks of the suite program except for those few that are (including the Suite Dining room come April)added into subsequent cabin classes, commensurate with cabin fare paid
  • Celebrity Suites add in Michael's club access
  • Royal Suites and above add in free bottles of booze, and come April unlimitied internet, premium beverages and specialty dining, along with a fare increase of about $1500-$2000 per week.

I love the sky suites on X and look forward to my cruise in April with new dining. I was in a mini suite on Princess in October and all we got as perks was one glass of cheap champagne on the first day. Makes X perks in Sky suite look great.

We have done a number of full suites on Princess over the years and all that I can recall we got was breakfast in Sabatinis each day with the 4 other passengers who decided to use the benefit. You could go to the disco area, Skywalkers I think,for canapés but you had to buy your drinks.

Going back to June 12 here but we had to pay for Blu ($5 I think) but when we'd spent thousands on a SS, I refused to pay more for something that (technically) a 'lower' class got for free.

thank you for clarifying that. I never understood the $5 surcharge - like you said, it is just going to upset the customer.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Having a Butler seems to be the benefit that makes a Auite a Auite. Celebrity could always remove the Butler and create a new name for the cabin category. It would certainly provide an answer to the "rant". I'm not in favor of doing that, but wonder how many would

Ike the change. Don't bet that a name change would affect the price.

Orator is correct, you have to remember the sky suites predate all these benefits, I believe they have been around since the Century and the distinction between them and other rooms is the Butler. On Celebrity that is what makes it a suite. Celebrity is adding these new benefits because they have to keep up with the competition.