big changes to island princess

steelhead1

We will be on the Island 12 day med cruise in Oct. and were comparing the pre and post drydock deckplans and there are major changes being made. no more sanctuary pool, no more universe lounge, no more fitness center with views and adding many new cabins just to name a few. This will be our 3rd time on the Island and to us these changes are disappointing. Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

We will be on the Island 12 day med cruise in Oct. and were comparing the pre and post drydock deckplans and there are major changes being made. no more sanctuary pool, no more universe lounge, no more fitness center with views and adding many new cabins just to name a few. This will be our 3rd time on the Island and to us these changes are disappointing. Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

A couple of threads on this already....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127734&highlight=island+princess+dry+dock

We may cancel our Nov TA because of this. :(

The biggest for us would be the loss of 1/3 of the promenade deck and the aft viewing areas.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

A couple of threads on this already....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127734&highlight=island+princess+dry+dock

We may cancel our Nov TA because of this. :(

The biggest for us would be the loss of 1/3 of the promenade deck and the aft viewing areas.

I looked before I posted if this had already been discussed, guess I missed it. We may well still do our med cruise only because it is so port intensive but I would have to say for any other destination we would not go on the Island given these changes

I looked before I posted if this had already been discussed, guess I missed it. We may well still do our med cruise only because it is so port intensive but I would have to say for any other destination we would not go on the Island given these changes

We just did basicly the same port intensive Med cruise on the Regal in October.

I have been on the Island a couple of times, and the things that I loved about her, are the things they are taking away. I had wanted to do a Med cruise in the fall on her, but I have to think about it now...I can just see runners or joggers running through the interior space to get to the other side of the once beautiful promenade deck......Oh yeh, and exercising in a windowless room instead of looking out on the water? I don't think so....that is always a highlight for me.....I can work out in my garage for free if I want to do that....running on a treadmill with the ocean in front of you is light running on the water with wings.....I think it is a poor management decision....

I have a b2b on her next fall and am considering canceling. Not happy at all about the changes. Why not just raise the prices a little. I'd pay more than have to put up with more people. I hate the mega ships. and someone brought up a good point about extra staff - where are they going to live? And what about life boats?

It's really a shame what they are doing to one of the nicest ships in the Princess fleet. Taking out public space and replacing it with cabins never benefits the customer. This is all about revenue. Higher density with less space to spread out in. Carnival did the same with CARNIVAL SUNSHINE and in fact I'm guessing that is where Princess got it's inspiration from … or should I say Carnival Shipbuilding which I think overseas all these massive renovations where the structure of the ship is changed.

Disappointing.

Of all of those, I only care about the Sanctuary pool...

And for those of you who say just raise prices, it doesn't work that way. For a product with inelastic perishable demand, the market sets the prices overall. Princess may try to maximize it, but at the end they have to set the price to what someone will pay or lose all revenue entirely.

Of all of those, I only care about the Sanctuary pool...

And for those of you who say just raise prices, it doesn't work that way. For a product with inelastic perishable demand, the market sets the prices overall. Princess may try to maximize it, but at the end they have to set the price to what someone will pay or lose all revenue entirely.

"Inelastic perishable demand", my graduate Economics professor gives you an A+!

• 7 months later...

Just cancelled our B to B cruises on the Island in October, not because of the new layout, although don't agree with decision to block part off part of Promenade deck, but because of the changes to amount of time spent in some ports.

Not prepared to pay our final invoice then be told there are 'big changes' to itinerary.

I know I am late to the table on this one, having been (where else?) on a ship when this thread was active, but I have to tell you that I loved this statement (being an econ geek). However, I was confused about the perishable part. Perishable in what way? All I can figure is that you mean perishable because a ship has a limited useful life? Or is it that cruisers have a limited life span?

Not at all picking at you at all, because I am thrilled to see true economic commentary on CC (besides simply "supply and demand" and "follow the money") but I am truly curious and wish to be educated on this point.

BTW, my favorite econ concept is "exploiting the area under the demand curve" as the most economically advantageous pricing policy for the economy.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

We are on a b2b next April for the Panama Canal on the Island and after reading so many negative comments about this ship, not to mention no IC, I'm wondering if we should switch ships to another cruise. The Panama Canal cruise is one we've wanted to do for a while and we've never been on the Island before so anybody out there with experience on her before and /or after, please give me your thoughts please. We will be on it for 30 days so I'd like to be reassured if at all possible.

I know I am late to the table on this one, having been (where else?) on a ship when this thread was active, but I have to tell you that I loved this statement (being an econ geek). However, I was confused about the perishable part. Perishable in what way? All I can figure is that you mean perishable because a ship has a limited useful life? Or is it that cruisers have a limited life span?

I may be wrong -has to happen sometime:rolleyes:- but I read it as perishable because the ship only sails a particular cruise at a particular time, and each one is on its own.

I may be wrong -has to happen sometime:rolleyes:- but I read it as perishable because the ship only sails a particular cruise at a particular time, and each one is on its own.

That might be it. Thanks! I think of that as being perishable supply, but I suppose it might also be demand, as in, the week after the cruise the demand for that past cruise goes to zero.

Perishable in this case means when the ship departs (or the manifest locks) the ability to get revenue from an empty cabin expires.

That means Princess doesn't have the opportunity to hold on to a cabin to get a higher price in the way that (for example) someone selling stocks can choose not to sell at market rate.

Not at all picking at you at all, because I am thrilled to see true economic commentary on CC (besides simply "supply and demand" and "follow the money") but I am truly curious and wish to be educated on this point.

BTW, my favorite econ concept is "exploiting the area under the demand curve" as the most economically advantageous pricing policy for the economy.