Eclipse - Fabulous caribbean cruise

mickey89

We have just returned from 14 nights aboard the Eclipse, wish we were there now! Boarding was surprisingly stress-free after terrible long delays at Miami airport on arrival as Custom officials were working-too-rule. Many people ignored Celebrity's request to stagger arrival and just had to wait, boarding was very easy at 1200 when we arrived.

Our cabin and dining room staff were exemplary, always prepared to go the extra mile. The ship as always was immaculate and the facilities met our expectation most of the time. Food was of a high standard but some of the passengers hygiene standards are still a major cause for concern so we avoided the self service cafe and really enjoyed the main dining room, bistro and speciality restaurants.

Celebrity still remain our number ONE choice, but the only change we would like is for Celebrity to make the Oceanview Café a counter service (No un-gloved hands), then it will enter the premier league of cruise-lines as far as we are concerned.

The itinerary was fabulous, some of the best islands in the Caribbean and wish we were there today, but I still don't understand why the ship needs to depart some of the islands so early. An example is, we left St. Lucia at 5pm and within 2 hours we could see the lights of the next stop Barbados as we ate dinner, the ship was travelling at a snail's pace - the extra port charges would be negligible but the passengers would benefit enormously.

Those planning the Eclipse Caribbean cruise in the coming months will have a fabulous time I am sure.

Edited by mickey89

Hi Mickey89

With all due respect I do not think the lights you seen at Dinner were those of Barbados which is approx 104 miles from St Lucia. You stated the ship was travelling at a snails pace I would suggest from personal experience of the same departure on Ventura at slow speed the lights you seen were situated on the southern end of St Lucia or on one of the Islands within the nearby St Vincent and The a Grenadines group.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

Hi Mickey89

With all due respect I do not think the lights you seen at Dinner were those of Barbados which is approx 104 miles from St Lucia. You stated the ship was travelling at a snails pace I would suggest from personal experience of the same departure on Ventura at slow speed the lights you seen were situated on the southern end of St Lucia or on one of the Islands within the nearby St Vincent and The a Grenadines group.

According to the First Officer, it was Barbados, which ever, the point is the ship could have left St. Lucia at say 10pm and travelled at normal speed giving passengers longer Island time

According to the First Officer, it was Barbados, which ever, the point is the ship could have left St. Lucia at say 10pm and travelled at normal speed giving passengers longer Island time

I would think that the reason is cost/profit driven. Cost more to stay later and when everyone is on board Celebrity's revenue goes up. I personally like the late departures as well.

The bottom line is that most of the time is has nothing to do with how long it takes to get to the next port, but sometimes it does.

Try cruising in the French Polynese. You can sometimes see the other island before you leave the port.

Hi Mickey89 and other cruisers.

My wife and I are thinking of the long trek from Queensland, AUSTRALIA to Miami and catch the Celebrity Eclipse for the 14 nighter in the Caribbean you have just been on. We are normally NCL cruisers and wondering if the experience would be better with the Eclipse??????. Love the Caribbean having done a 10 nighter a few years back but on a MSC ship which we didn't like very much.

The Celebrity Eclipse looks a great ship with great reviews so we are very interested in about Feb/March, 2015.

Cheers Bob & Christine. ( Downunder )

Thanks for your review. We are on the Eclipse January 18. We made this same sailing this January on the same ship. Enjoyed the ship and the itinerary so much we decided to go again.

We did this trip last Ja. & loved it, so we decided to do it again. Just getting away from winter for a few weeks is worth it.

...the point is the ship could have left St. Lucia at say 10pm and travelled at normal speed giving passengers longer Island time

I guess different people have different preferences. I think the 5PM departures in the Caribbean are just right for most stops. One of my favorite parts of cruising is sitting on our veranda, or the aft bar, enjoying the sail away. Follow this with enjoying the ships pre-dinner entertainment and cocktails. I think the whole evening ambiance on the ship is different when there is a late evening sail away.

With that said I do like an occasional late evening sail away, not more than once a cruise, and at ports that would have a larger business area right near the port to enjoy the evening and even a dinner on shore.

I am sure that they leave the ports early for many reasons and the main one is cost. Costs can involve many things including the safety of the passengers.

Would you really want to be running free after dark on those islands?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I enjoy leaving later for some of the ports. On our last Valentine's Day cruise we celebrated with dinner in Puerto Rico. It was a beautiful night willed with music and great food. The old fashioned street lights set a very romantic mood.

On our next cruise of 14 nights we will only be in one port till 8pm. The rest leave at 5pm.

I'm interested in this statement, can you elaborate?

Unsure when Celebrity began but they now send emails to all passengers a few days before departure advising them of their allotted time slot to arrive at the cruise terminal determined by their deck / cabin. Many people ignore and arrive when they choose, some arrived as early as 1030am and the previous cruise passengers are still onboard waiting to leave. They just cause congestion and frustration for everybody.

Unsure when Celebrity began but they now send emails to all passengers a few days before departure advising them of their allotted time slot to arrive at the cruise terminal determined by their deck / cabin. Many people ignore and arrive when they choose, some arrived as early as 1030am and the previous cruise passengers are still onboard waiting to leave. They just cause congestion and frustration for everybody.

They only do this on some cruises and it's a suggestion in an attempt to spread out the check-in load. Many ignore because they fly in the day of the cruise and take celebrity transfers....which arrive when they arrive. Others have to check out of their hotels and have nothing to do and essentially no where to go with their luggage so they go to the pier. I don't think the are really consciously ignoring the notes....they are just acting rationally. I've actually never seen early arrivers cause any congestion or frustration for anyone...in fact they generally bring taxis to the pier which is exactly what those getting off want.

I think it's a good idea for celebrity to try to spread the check in load as they are doing. I (and I'm sure many others) would have a real problem if they forced everyone to follow that schedule.

Edited by ghstudio

A couple years ago, while in Aruba, the Eclipse was still there at 8:00. It was very cool to have our evening catamaran trip sail the length of the eclipse on the way back to the port.

I noticed that the Eclipse now leaves Aruba at 5:00. Oh well.

judyfssw

A couple years ago, while in Aruba, the Eclipse was still there at 8:00. It was very cool to have our evening catamaran trip sail the length of the eclipse on the way back to the port.

I noticed that the Eclipse now leaves Aruba at 5:00. Oh well.

We are on the Eclipse in March and also have the sunset catamaran excursion planned in Aruba. We depart at 8 pm.

They only do this on some cruises and it's a suggestion in an attempt to spread out the check-in load. Many ignore because they fly in the day of the cruise and take celebrity transfers....which arrive when they arrive. Others have to check out of their hotels and have nothing to do and essentially no where to go with their luggage so they go to the pier. I don't think the are really consciously ignoring the notes....they are just acting rationally. I've actually never seen early arrivers cause any congestion or frustration for anyone...in fact they generally bring taxis to the pier which is exactly what those getting off want.

I think it's a good idea for celebrity to try to spread the check in load as they are doing. I (and I'm sure many others) would have a real problem if they forced everyone to follow that schedule.

It's the minority that have little option but to arrive early, the majority do have the option and it is they that cause the congestion. With the pavement packed with exiting passengers, early arrivals of course do not cause a problem do they ?

My wife and I are thinking of the long trek from Queensland, AUSTRALIA to Miami and catch the Celebrity Eclipse for the 14 nighter in the Caribbean you have just been on. We are normally NCL cruisers and wondering if the experience would be better with the Eclipse??????. Love the Caribbean having done a 10 nighter a few years back but on a MSC ship which we didn't like very much.

The Celebrity Eclipse looks a great ship with great reviews so we are very interested in about Feb/March, 2015.

Bob and Christine, You can't get much better than a 14 night cruise on Eclipse! We have our third one coming up on March 15, 2015. We've been to all of the ports before but now have our favorite places to revisit. I cannot think of one thing that would improve Eclipse. it is perfection in our minds! The Solstice class ships are gorgeous, food in wonderful, service is excellent and even though some people will pick apart and find fault with something, it satisfies us and we are coming up on cruise #31 and #32 both on Celebrity.

Thanks so much for your review. We look forward to our 14-day cruise on the Eclipse, commencing 1 March 2015. It is great to get out of the north country in the middle of winter and in to the warmth. We have taken the Southern Caribbean swing previously and just love the laid back atmosphere.

Our best to all!

Denny (& Karen)

• 3 weeks later...
Bob and Christine, You can't get much better than a 14 night cruise on Eclipse! We have our third one coming up on March 15, 2015. We've been to all of the ports before but now have our favorite places to revisit. I cannot think of one thing that would improve Eclipse. it is perfection in our minds! The Solstice class ships are gorgeous, food in wonderful, service is excellent and even though some people will pick apart and find fault with something, it satisfies us and we are coming up on cruise #31 and #32 both on Celebrity.

Stop by our March 15th roll call forum.

Stop by our March 15th roll call forum.

We are also sailing on the Eclipse on March 15th 2015. We sailed this cruise last year and it was perfect! We are on the roll call and look forward to meeting all of you! 66 days until we arrive in FLL! Then a short ride on Sunday to the cruise port-Yay!

The NCL ships are far outclassed by Celebrity....especially the Solstice class ships. You will not be disappointed. We've sailed both and would never sail NCL again. Celebrity is our line of choice, as well as Oceania. You have a real treat in store.