Flights - your opinion please

Torbsboy

Lol Thanks for your words of wisdom. We were trying to find a direct flight to San Fran and then fly back to the UK once spending a few days there as we have been to Miami/Florida several times - might go for a 3 oclock flight from Miami instaed.

I do not think there are any non stops from MIA or FLL to SFO

I see United have an 1150 out of MIA you might make that one

I do not think there are any non stops from MIA or FLL to SFO

I see United have an 1150 out of MIA you might make that one

As MIA is an AA hub, there are actually 3 direct/non stop flights from MIA to SFO (on a Wed, which Dec 2nd is) with AA but no direct fights from FLL. Another good reason to fly from MIA rather than FLL, IMO.

As MIA is an AA hub, there are actually 3 direct/non stop flights from MIA to SFO (on a Wed, which Dec 2nd is) with AA but no direct fights from FLL. Another good reason to fly from MIA rather than FLL, IMO.

I knew you would know;)

I just checked the ITA site no nonstops showing yet

I knew you would know;)

I just checked the ITA site no nonstops showing yet

This is from the AA website (for Wed, Nov 11th as Wed Dec 2nd is not bookable yet):

AA 167 7:20 AM MIA 10:20 AM SFO

AA 275 3:40 PM MIA 6:46 PM SFO

AA 69 7:50 PM MIA 10:57 PM SFO

I know because I took the 7:20 a couple of weeks ago :) Looks to me that the middle one would be just right for the OP

Edited by Paulchili

…or China, where double yellow lines are only a suggestion.

-Sukey-

China was a dream to Maputo. Mind you the last time we were there it was just before the 2008 Olympics, so it may have been better than what it normally is. Mind you all we have to do is go to Richmond to see bad drivers here. I would be called racist if I said what several of my Asian friends say about Asian drivers in Richmond.:D

Hey Paulchili, thought you would know better than many that Direct and Non-Stop are two distinctly different types of flights as I have posted several times.

Non Stop is what the name says, no stops between the departure and final arrival airport.

Direct has at least one stop before you get to your destination airport and possibly more stops and the possibility that you might even change aircraft at one or more of the stops. Almost always the same flight number from origin to destination but, at least one stop along the way.

Need to be careful what you ask for and if you want non-stop, you have to say non-stop because if you ask for a direct flight you will be awfully surprised when your plane lands at other than you final airport before you get to your destination airport.

What about the local drivers? :)

Sometimes I think I'd rather drive in India than Florida (well, maybe not India but perhaps Italy) :D

There are no local drivers in Florida (at least it seem that way).... We just have a lot of Q-tips. :)

The problem is you have a bunch of Midwest drivers, combine this with NY/NJ/CT drivers. Add this to the worse drivers in the world from MA..

equals Chaos. It really gets worse now in season and is definitely noticeable.

My first driving overseas was in Yugoslavia (in 1970's) -- where I was warned by my local hosts -- "we drive just like Italians, except without their skill." :D

Edited by PaulMCO

There are no local drivers in Florida (at least it seem that way).... We just have a lot of Q-tips. :)

Actually you have a lot of local drivers (at least where I have visited in SE Florida).

How do I know this? There are 2 kinds of local drivers - young(er) ones who are most likely natives and very old ones (most likely transplants). Both are equally bad in a different way.

The first group drives very aggressively and te other way to carefully :D

Edited by Paulchili

Driving in various countries can be interesting.

I've driven across Canada 4-5 times over the years and have NOT had a problem with our neighbors to the north.

NYC drivers, that can be something else. Many years ago a friend went to JFK to pick us up at the airport in a blizzard. He didn't get the message I asked the airline to send to him that we had been delayed and diverted. Instead of arriving at JFK on the evening expected, we went to Bermuda and spent the night at a fancy hotel. (Therein lies another tale.)

But he wasn't alerted and didn't call to check on arrival time as I had instructed him, and ended up plowing into a Volvo. My Dodge Dart suffered the most from the encounter. The Volvo had a broken tail light, my car had a broken nose cone.

So I was driving around Manhattan for a few days with this damaged car before we could take it in for repairs, and CAB DRIVERS were avoiding me. I told them a man had done the damage, but they weren't listening. It meant making left turns were much easier, however ...

Anyway, the worst drivers I have encountered have been in rural France ... driving in Tuscany was far easier. I haven't tried Japan yet.

Just saying ...

Mura

Or California - where speed limits are considered whimsical at best... :eek:

JMBobB

I learned to drive in L.A. so I'm okay there. But I moved to NY in 1970, and L.A. drivers were far more courteous in the good old days. And while trafffic could be bad, it's far worse now.

Mura

I know that this will cause issues but I have made 1030 flights from Miami and FLL. I checked and the ship is the only one docking that day so customs should not be a problem unless our do-nothing Congress decides not to fund the budget for the Customs service and TSA.

Assuming the ship arrives on time you can get off early and it is only a 20-25 minute cab ride to the airport. You can print your boarding passes the night before landing so it is just drop off bags and get on security line.

I live in Miami and although I feel a bit offended by one persons assessment of MIA, I will speak from experience. Don't count on getting from the cruise ship terminal in Miami (Dodge Island) to the gate at Ft Lauderdale Airport in anything less than a few hours unless you feel really lucky. We were on a cruise last month and due to the shortage of customs agents, it took hours to debark the ship. Good thing we had our own car parked at the terminal so we could just drive home but we were not able to pick up our boarded pets before the 1pm closing time on that Saturday. So give yourself plenty of time.

I happen to like MIA now - since the renovations to the American Airlines terminal, it's a breeze to check in and be at your gate in no time and Concourse D is absolutely beautiful with new shops and eateries everywhere. Can't say that for Ft Lauderdale Internat'l but they're involved in building another runway instead of improving the terminal.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. After consideration and not wanting to give myself a heart attack getting to the airport on time I am going for the 3.40pm flight once its bookable next month.

Hope you all have a fabulous Christmas.

Best Wishes

Grant

Thank you to everyone who has replied. After consideration and not wanting to give myself a heart attack getting to the airport on time I am going for the 3.40pm flight once its bookable next month.

Best Wishes

Grant

Wise choice - have a great cruise.

[quote name='Torbsboy']Thank you to everyone who has replied. After consideration and not wanting to give myself a heart attack getting to the airport on time I am going for the 3.40pm flight once its bookable next month.

Best Wishes
Grant[/QUOTE]

Smart move and if you want to spend a delightful morning in Miami visit the new Perez Museum just minutes from the port.
Fantastic building in a beautiful setting with a most interesting collection of painters you will not see elsewhere. In addition they have a first class Steven Starr restaurant.