'art' auctions

TraelorMex

Dave,

Thanks your e-mail and thanks for your very kind comments!

Yes, a pity CHROMAS art did not last on board VEENDAM and one other ship. They were small and could not 'compete' against the bigger people. Thay were fun people to deal with.... both were 'retired' Hotel Managers (not HAL). There idea was to sell... not auction... some prints and some small originals.

I am looking forward to seeing VEENDAM in Bermuda again.... hey... I am planning one of the cruises from Boston/Bermuda also. It simply means I can do some shopping in Boston and bring my purchases down by VEENDAM... to be it is just 'The Blue Ferry!" ;)

I keep some paintings in a gallery in Hamilton known as Windjammer II. I am always available to come into the gallery if anyone stops... even just to chat and have a coffee... and the latest news of HAL.:D

BTW... the Art Manager on board VEENDAM... great fellow Mark Sardellis. He gave up with that company but he works on board with HAL in management. Best people for sure! I hope he is Hotel manager some time.

Dave, many thanks.

Stephen

I wish HAL offered it's own commissioned artwork for sale. Mr. Card's (Topsham's) prints, old ads, anything.

I've tried to order some prints off art.com HAL-related art and old posters and the quality is dreadful. I sadly retuned it. :(

I wish HAL offered it's own commissioned artwork for sale. Mr. Card's (Topsham's) prints, old ads, anything.

I've tried to order some prints off art.com HAL-related art and old posters and the quality is dreadful. I sadly retuned it. :(

My sympathy! I have two HAL posters. Not giclee prints... the two are original posters, one of the Nw Amsterdam from 1955 and the other is s.s. Rotterdam dates back 1908. Beauties! I believe that are now in the up two a few grand each. Glad I got them over thirty years ago. Original posters etc are getting rare I guess.

Best I can suggest is to commission your own painting!

Stephen

My sympathy! I have two HAL posters. Not giclee prints... the two are original posters, one of the Nw Amsterdam from 1955 and the other is s.s. Rotterdam dates back 1908. Beauties! I believe that are now in the up two a few grand each. Glad I got them over thirty years ago. Original posters etc are getting rare I guess.

Best I can suggest is to commission your own painting!

Stephen

I've talked with a friend about it actually, might have to come through. We did pay for the giclee print and it looked as if it was printed from a dot matrix printer!

Unless you are looking for a little work ... if so shoot me an email at canderson [a t] gmail [d o t ] com and I'll gladly reply. ;) We are no stranger to commissioned art!

Edited by sppunk

Thank you to both TraelorMex and takeusaway for the quick reports on the trip. This is the one that caught my DH's eye when I was reading him various itineraries for our next cruise, but I had my doubts. We're not beach goers and like the more 'off the beaten path' cruises so this looks like it should be a winner. All sounds very exciting and the thought of getting to see the pink dolphins is what finally convinced me.

And no art auctions is definitely a bonus!

Rachel

Thank you to both TraelorMex and takeusaway for the quick reports on the trip. This is the one that caught my DH's eye when I was reading him various itineraries for our next cruise, but I had my doubts. We're not beach goers and like the more 'off the beaten path' cruises so this looks like it should be a winner. All sounds very exciting and the thought of getting to see the pink dolphins is what finally convinced me.

Rachel

T-mex sent great info but if you need any more info, just send me any questions, etc. at tasenta at gmail dot com as we have done this cruise twice.

Rachel

T-mex sent great info but if you need any more info, just send me any questions, etc. at tasenta at gmail dot com as we have done this cruise twice.

Apply for your Brazilian visa early as can take some time!

A pleasant surprise on the NYC/Bermuda trips a few years back was the replacement of the art auction with an extensive display of the paintings by Capt. Stephen Card, for sale of course and Stephen was on board and ready to sign them. I'm sure almost all of you recognize Capt. Card's name, it's his paintings of current and former HAL ships that hang on the landings in the foreward stairwell of most (all?) HAL ships. Perhaps they'll do it again with this year's Boston/Bermuda sailings, Stephen lives part of the year in Bermuda and is an affable and very interesting man to meet and chat with about his work for HAL (and Cunard), his passion (painting), his career as a sea-going Captain, and what to do and see in Bermuda.

Now THAT is something I would really enjoy and appreciate (and probably purchase):D I've had the pleasure to meet Stephen and he is a wonderful gentleman and very interesting to talk to indeed:D

I've talked with a friend about it actually, might have to come through. We did pay for the giclee print and it looked as if it was printed from a dot matrix printer!

Unless you are looking for a little work ... if so shoot me an email at canderson [a t] gmail [d o t ] com and I'll gladly reply. ;) We are no stranger to commissioned art!

Thanks. Will do!

I must do a lot of paintings of HAL ship. Years ago I bought a 25 gallon bucket of HAL hull blue and plenty to use for years to go! :eek:

Giclee... the method is same for dot matrix (I think!).... but should be good quality when done properly. Blame the printer (the operator) than the printer (machine)!

Some giclee printed on canvas is try to pretend that it is a real painting and IMO looks cheap and nasty. When printed on best quality 100% rag, archival paper... give a good result. Giclee takes of time.... several minutes to make the print... depending on size. The inks should be archival and light fast. Also can have UV coating. To give an example.... a sheet of paper... say 20 x 30 inches.... the cost might be up to $100. By the time the print gets into a shop for printer, wholesale retail .... that same print might be cost $500. Add on good job on framing.... an additional $400. That is going to hit about $1,000 just for a poster. Being warned.... the resale value is about.... zero!

I don't want to give prints a bad name. Some prints can be lithograph and also some giclee.... you can find some works that are worthwhile... just find a good dealer.

Stephen

Look out for an e-mail.... name goes the name 'prinsendam'. :) And nothing to do with the present Prinsendam.... I used for the old Prinsendam.

Stephen

While the Art Auctions are of no interest whatsoever to us, seems they are well attended and profitable for the ship. As long as they are, guess there is no hope they will go away. :rolleyes:

LuLu

The auction was on the Ryndam during the Nov. TA. I attended for the first and last time. The actual auction started 45 minutes after the posted time in the daily program. Forty-five minutes of verbal crap from the sleezy art peddlers before the first piece went up for bidding. I was sitting in the last row in the Ocean Bar but left ten minutes later as I was getting a headache. People must show up for the free champagne (I use the word "champagne" loosely).

On one of our NA cruises I attended one of the Art Auctions because it was promoted as 60 works of art (auctioned) in 60 minutes. Figured that it might be interesting to see a "quick-like" auction. Well, there was more chatter than one piece of art per minute could handle, but it was okay.

At one point in the event, the auctioneer brought in a framed print (about 8 x 10 or 11 x 14) and said they would draw a number to give it as a prize. It was then awarded to someone in the audience. They said they would give away several more during the next hour. Of course, I decided to stay and see if I could win a print (of something!).

Well, my number was drawn and, after the auction, I was asked what time I wanted to make my appointment for my prize. What? Well, I made the appointment out of curiosity ... and to get my print.

At the appointed time I went to the Art area and was seated at a desk and one of the employees said that they couldn't keep ALL THOSE PRINTS onboard the ship, so they would send it to me. All I had to do was pay THIRTY DOLLARS to have it shipped to me in a cardboard tube. Yes, folks, just THIRTY DOLLARS to have my PRIZE mailed to me.

OR ........ I could pick out the framing materials and they would frame it and have it sent to me. The framing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 with mailing.

I told them I would check with my husband and get back to them. I then avoided the art area for the next two days!

It's a shame that HAL teams up with characters like this.

LOL...This happened to us on the "Maasdam" in 2003..:D

Park West was raffling off a Seriolithograph of "Summer Enchantment" a landscape painted by a Husband & wife team "Schaefer-Miles".. DH won it & we did pay the $$$ (can't remember how much) to have it shipped...Had it framed when we got home.. Yes, it was a rip-off but it's still a nice reminder of one of our HAL cruises..

I was annoyed to see the art back on the N Amsterdam this month. When it was fully up, I didn't even glance at it but I was annoyed to pass by when the workers were setting it up for the auctions. Do passengers come for the free champagne and the raffle? Yes, HAL must make a percentage. It looks like HAL employees in blue Park West outfits setting it up. I noticed these workers have maps as to where which art is to be situated.

I could do without these but I guess others enjoy and must buy or else they would go elsewhere. Do other Carnival Corp ships have these??

To me they are a necessary evil. We never will attend but others may say the same about triva or cooking classes.

The difference is that you can ignore cooking classes and sort of ignore trivia as they do not clutter up public spaces. When they spread their "art" all over public spaces, the areas become unusable for those of us who are not interested.

DON

I'm old enough to remember the France with it's branch of a real Paris art gallery (Vision Nouvelle)--why can't THAT be a model for today's cruise lines?:(

Because the class of people who buy art on a cruise and I realize that there are exceptions is incapable of recognizing or paying for high quality art if it hit them in the face.

What did the gallery art on the France cost? Compared to today's cruise prices and adjusted for inflation, what did a trip on the France cost?

DON

Because the class of people who buy art on a cruise and I realize that there are exceptions is incapable of recognizing or paying for high quality art if it hit them in the face.

What did the gallery art on the France cost? Compared to today's cruise prices and adjusted for inflation, what did a trip on the France cost?

DON

That's extremely condescending of you. Art is in the eye of the beholder or purchaser. And just because it's old or hangs in a museum doesn't make it better than something done last year hanging on the wall in a hole-in-the-wall cafe. You would think an appreciator of art would appreciate it no matter where it was found or how much it cost.

Likewise, just because someone is of an alleged higher class, it doesn't automatically make them appreciate alleged fine art any more than it makes them not appreciate mass produced art. Class and appreciation of beauty are not mutually exclusive.

/rant.

That's extremely condescending of you. Art is in the eye of the beholder or purchaser. And just because it's old or hangs in a museum doesn't make it better than something done last year hanging on the wall in a hole-in-the-wall cafe. You would think an appreciator of art would appreciate it no matter where it was found or how much it cost.

Likewise, just because someone is of an alleged higher class, it doesn't automatically make them appreciate alleged fine art any more than it makes them not appreciate mass produced art. Class and appreciation of beauty are not mutually exclusive.

/rant.

I will admit that my use of the word "class" implied something that I did not mean to say. I also said that there were exceptions. I also agree that all recognized or to-be-recognized artists have to start somewhere and it might even be on the wall of a cafe.

I do stand by my basic point that most of the people who buy art on ships have limited or no knowledge of what is good and would not be willing to pay the prices that you need to buy good stuff.

DON

I will admit that my use of the word "class" implied something that I did not mean to say. I also said that there were exceptions. I also agree that all recognized or to-be-recognized artists have to start somewhere and it might even be on the wall of a cafe.

I do stand by my basic point that most of the people who buy art on ships have limited or no knowledge of what is good and would not be willing to pay the prices that you need to buy good stuff.

DON

Would you be willing to say that perhaps you are still being a bit harsh. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but IMHO, the perception of "what is good" is in the eye of the beholder. I personally haven't been to an art auction on ship--just doesn't interest me. But I'll purchase a small piece of work from a street artist--museum quality?--no way, but if it captures the spirit of the area and is pleasing to me, why not?

I have a friend that has been on at least 15 RCCL cruises and she always purchases something at the art auctions. Why? She says each piece brings back delightful memories of that cruise. And isn't that what art is all about--eliciting some sort of response and connection with the viewer?

Thank goodness we are all different; makes life much more interesting--and, besides, it keeps the entire ship from going to each activity offered. :)

Happy cruising!

LC

I have a friend that has been on at least 15 RCCL cruises and she always purchases something at the art auctions. Why? She says each piece brings back delightful memories of that cruise. And isn't that what art is all about--eliciting some sort of response and connection with the viewer?

LC

I do that with photographs. My goal which I usually achieve is to take one photograph on every trip (land or sea) that is worth printing, framing and hanging on the wall.

DON

I do that with photographs. My goal which I usually achieve is to take one photograph on every trip (land or sea) that is worth printing, framing and hanging on the wall.

DON

I also have lots of photos and collages of photos of places we've been--brings back good memories, doesn't it?

But, back to the thread--sorry....

LC