Buying rum in port

jeudee

the general consensus is, the savings is not there any more as in years past. or if it is, it is marginal.

for instance, we have yet to find our Favorites any cheaper than what we can get it for on base or any large scale warehouse chain like Total Wine.

the general consensus is, the savings is not there any more as in years past. or if it is, it is marginal.

for instance, we have yet to find our Favorites any cheaper than what we can get it for on base or any large scale warehouse chain like Total Wine.

Awesome thanks for the info [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Is there a good discount advantage to buying rum for at home from the ports or is the cost pretty much the same?

one suggestion is to check the prices in the ships store before you go on shore. In many cases they will be the same or better than ashore. Local specialties like C'pt Morgan are normally better on shore.

I presume you are on a Caribbean sailing.

Specialty rums may not be available onboard the ship. Price your favorite brands before you board and you will have your baseline to compare.

Don't forget your liquor allowance. There are still times when duty + the price of the liquor is still better than your favorite hometown store.

There is one adult beverage that is only sold in Barbados AFAIK. We've taken three cruises just to restock!

For "rum of the mill" brands such as Bacardi White, only you can determine if "saving" a few dollars is worth it. Personally, I would (and have) used the opportunity of travel to acquire specific spirits that can't be obtained elsewhere. For example, the rum produced on St Helena is not exported off the island. Same with a number of scotch whiskys and other local specialties you may encounter in your travels.

Besides, what's more valuable....saving $5 on a bottle of booze or the story you can tell about that interesting bottle on your bar shelf.

And, regarding the Gosling's 151: It is illegal to transport spirit alcohol of over 140 proof in your airline checked bags, per the TSA. Read your regs.

For "rum of the mill" brands such as Bacardi White, only you can determine if "saving" a few dollars is worth it. Personally, I would (and have) used the opportunity of travel to acquire specific spirits that can't be obtained elsewhere. For example, the rum produced on St Helena is not exported off the island. Same with a number of scotch whiskys and other local specialties you may encounter in your travels.

Besides, what's more valuable....saving $5 on a bottle of booze or the story you can tell about that interesting bottle on your bar shelf.

And, regarding the Gosling's 151: It is illegal to transport spirit alcohol of over 140 proof in your airline checked bags, per the TSA. Read your regs.

Yay I'm not flying so I can get 151 [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Guest maddycat

On our last cruise in Oct. with RCI we found the prices to be better on the ship than in port. Rum was about half the price that we would pay at home in NJ. Since we drive to the port we don't have to worry about getting it home.

When we were in Grand Cayman, we visited the Tortuga Rum factory. I bought some rum for $13/bottle. It was crazy when we were disembarking and the customs agent didn't charge me for the taxes :)

IMHO, customs will not charge any duty on the overages if they are too busy to deal with it and you haven't brought back an obscene amount. We have, over the years, brought back between 6 and 12 liters per trip without paying duty.

As with all government agencies, your experience may differ.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

IMHO, customs will not charge any duty on the overages if they are too busy to deal with it and you haven't brought back an obscene amount. We have, over the years, brought back between 6 and 12 liters per trip without paying duty.

As with all government agencies, your experience may differ.

Enjoy!

In many cases it depends on how much the alcohol costs as to whether they will charge the duty or not. 8 liters of $100 Patrone would likely be treated differently than 8 liters of $10 Bacardi. With the lower cost items it's not worth the effort for them to fill out all of the paperwork (especially if they are busy).

In many cases it depends on how much the alcohol costs as to whether they will charge the duty or not. 8 liters of $100 Patrone would likely be treated differently than 8 liters of $10 Bacardi. With the lower cost items it's not worth the effort for them to fill out all of the paperwork (especially if they are busy).

People still drink Bacardi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People still drink Bacardi?

Fairly recently, it was the number two selling global distilled spirit in the world, behind only Smirnoff vodka. Haven't seen the current stats, but it is found round the world, made in several distilleries scattered around the globe - not just in PR.

UPDATE: Found the 2013 data....it's now the number 3 global brand, only beat by Smirnoff and Johnnie Walker.

Edited by FlyerTalker