2 Epic Studios vs. Double Room

Sprocket Rocket

It's been a while since I've been on the CC site.

I'm planning a June '15 Western Mediterranean cruise for my daughter and I as a college graduation trip. I'm a 54 year old widower and my daughter is 22. My wife passed away March of 2014 so this trip is a big deal for us. We will be spending 4 days in London and 4 in Florence before the cruise.

We have taken 7 or 8 cruises, all but one on RCCL, the other on NCL. Overall we liked RCCL better but the Epic is much cheaper than the Allure for the same route/date.

In looking at the floor plans for the balconies, inside, outside and studio cabins, I'm thinking 2 studios next to each other might make sense because of the bathroom layout. With no penalty for single cruisers, the cost might actually be less and the privacy would be a plus. I'm also an early riser and she could sleep until noon.

Looking for thoughts on this idea. Thanks!

Edited by Sprocket Rocket

I'm planning a June '15 Western Mediterranean cruise for my daughter and I as a college graduation trip. I'm a 54 year old widower and my daughter is 22. My wife passed away March of 2014 so this trip is a big deal for us. We will be spending 4 days in London and 4 in Florence before the cruise.

We have taken 7 or 8 cruises, all but one on RCCL, the other on NCL. Overall we liked RCCL better but the Epic is much cheaper than the Allure for the same route/date.

In looking at the floor plans for the balconies, inside, outside and studio cabins, I'm thinking 2 studios next to each other might make sense because of the bathroom layout. With no penalty for single cruisers, the cost might actually be less and the privacy would be a plus. I'm also an early riser and she could sleep until noon.

I think that's a great idea. Many of the Studio rooms have connecting doors if you wanted that also.

I would go for the connecting studio cabin room so when you’re sleeping and she’s out partying late night she doesn’t keep you awake when she comes in. You can close the connecting door to the rooms. During the daylight hours when you’re both awake you can hang out and leave the door between them open. It works nicely and everyone has their own 100 square foot space. I would recommend doing that over sharing a normal interior cabin together. Everyone would be able to get their sleep and then you’d have the studio lounge gathering in the PM to hang out at with fellow guests before heading off to dinner.

One more question.

Who are the typical solo travelers on a 7-night Med cruise? Any security worries about my daughter?

It really depends on when the vacations are for the ports of embarkation. June, July and August are big time vacation months in the Med for local people. The ship has cameras everywhere, including in the studio lounge and hallways so it’s pretty secure. The keycard access to the studio being required and then the room is an added bonus of security – so long as someone doesn’t prop the door open to the lounge and everyone makes sure it closes behind them.

One more question.

Who are the typical solo travelers on a 7-night Med cruise? Any security worries about my daughter?

Not any more security worries than there would be anywhere else on the ship. I've been in the studios three times most people were between 35-60. Not sure what difference that makes at all though.

You'll enjoy the studios. Great concept.

The only downside I can see is that some of the current promotions don't apply to studios. NCL.com is showing free drink and premium dining upgrades right now.

Make sure you check the terms and conditions. I believe that promo is slightly different for Euro itineraries.

The only downside I can see is that some of the current promotions don't apply to studios. NCL.com is showing free drink and premium dining upgrades right now.

Studio cabins were specifically left out of this WAVE promotion NCL is running. I know because I've looked already at the fine print. Solos (specifically studios) constantly get screwed on promotions. :(

If you do the one room together and can get the Wave promotion, for Europe cruises you get 2 of the 3. I just booked mine and got both the beverage and the dining package.

I may still be better off with the 2 studios. Even if we dined at the premium restaurants and drank the cost would probably be less. We would also have some separation which would be a plus. Only other issue is that the studios are all inside. If I could come close to the price with a balcony I might go that route.

Studio cabins were specifically left out of this WAVE promotion NCL is running. I know because I've looked already at the fine print. Solos (specifically studios) constantly get screwed on promotions. :(

Well, in this case, all of the inside rooms are left out of the promo.

I did a girls cruise on the Epic. Half of us got studios the others insisted on sharing balcony cabins. Those of us in the studios got the restaurant package...balcony did not. Those of us in the studios had a blast and would do it again. Balcony dwellers not so much. Go for the studios and get the dining package!

One more question.

One more thing to improve security with a 😉:

On my cruise to the med three month ago the studio lounge was a nice (because quiet) meeting point for some officers and some security staff.

Well, in this case, all of the inside rooms are left out of the promo.

If you want to pay 200% of the cost of the interior cabin you can get the WAVE promotion from NCL. Sometimes NCL will offer single rates or slightly higher for interior standard cabins just to sell out a cruise but they don’t advertise those readily and those would qualify for the wave promotion.

If it were me (I'm in my 30's now -- have shared a cabin with my parents when in my 20's but have not sailed with just my father) I would be more comfortable in two studio rooms on Epic. I'm not 100% thrilled with the bathroom setup when sharing a room with my husband and would definitely not want to share it with my father. Only you know your relationship with your daughter well enough to guess her and your comfort level with this, but the fact that you're asking to start with makes me think the separate studios would probably be a safer choice!

If it were me (I'm in my 30's now -- have shared a cabin with my parents when in my 20's but have not sailed with just my father) I would be more comfortable in two studio rooms on Epic. I'm not 100% thrilled with the bathroom setup when sharing a room with my husband and would definitely not want to share it with my father. Only you know your relationship with your daughter well enough to guess her and your comfort level with this, but the fact that you're asking to start with makes me think the separate studios would probably be a safer choice!

Thanks Gymbomb and everyone else who responded.

We would probably be fine sharing, but it looks like the price will be the same or less than an inside stateroom. If a balcony were obtainable at the same price, we'd probably do that as one of us could easily step out if needed.

Neither of us is looking to "hook up", as far as I know, so that isn't a concern. Just showering, getting dressed, etc.

If we could get 2 studios that connected, it would be similar to a small 2 room inside suite. Maybe the best option.

The cruise we are planning only has one day at sea, and we will be spending a lot of time off the ship as this will be our first time in the Mediterranean area.

Balconies on the Epic can't split the beds, as far as I know. Perhaps good to consider.

I think you might have been given erroneous information. We sailed the epic last November in a balcony cabin and had our bed separated. Maybe some do not or maybe you were told by a lazy room steward who didn't want to do the extra work. That has happened to us twice before. In any case the bed should/could have the ability to be separated.

I think you might have been given erroneous information. We sailed the epic last November in a balcony cabin and had our bed separated. Maybe some do not or maybe you were told by a lazy room steward who didn't want to do the extra work. That has happened to us twice before. In any case the bed should/could have the ability to be separated.

Ok, thanks. Should help the OP. Never informed or needed but it always looked like a tight fit with the shape and position of the bed to separate them.

Ok, thanks. Should help the OP. Never informed or needed but it always looked like a tight fit with the shape and position of the bed to separate them.

No worries. I hope this does help OP with the decision as well.

When separated the beds are only about 12"-18" apart. Not a huge distance but they are certainly apart.

Don't hesitate to get the studios, they are absolutely fantastic rooms. For a Med cruise that is so port intensive, you will be off the ship by 7 or 8 am daily and come back exhausted around 6pm. You might head to a hot tub on the pool deck to relax as you both will be quite tired, then go to dinner and maybe a show (IF you can stay awake) and then bed. Think about it, if most of the time you are off the ship, you don't need a balcony. So the less expensive studios plus each of you having your own private bathroom are a big plus in my mind.

I think getting 2 connecting studios is perfect. We did this once and it's nice to have your "own" space, which of course means not sharing your shower and bathroom and such. It makes getting ready a whole lot easier.

With the connecting door, you can leave it open to spend time with each other or closed for your personal time. I have to say, the rooms are really cool to and even though they are only 100 sq ft, they make use of every square inch of it with tons of storage.

I personally think it's a great option and solution for what you are looking for.

_DSC4910-L.jpg

_DSC5079-L.jpg

Here you can see the door opened to the other room. Just make sure you watch your step, it rises up and you have to step over it. :D

_DSC4911-L.jpg