Do Cruises Ever Actually Drop in Price?

One thing to note. I NEVER make my final payment until I absolutely have to. For whatever reason, once you make that final payment, good luck getting anything out of the cruise line - and that's not just Royal Caribbean.

Amen!

• 1 month later...
We booked a trip on the Allure, way out in advance for April 2016. We got a pretty good price....I think...but I'm pretty sure it has increased already since these prices have been out for awhile.

I am checking daily for any changes in cost and am wondering if prices ever actually drop? Or will they keep going up in cost (and maybe drop very close to the cruise date...which would be past our last payment date)

We go through a TA. We booked a 15 day Hawaiian cruise back in Sep 2014 ( Mini Suite) $2999.00. since then my TA has been able to reduce the cruise price$2669.00 and we got $385 OBC in addition to my Military OBC of $250 (Total OBC $635) Hope this answers your question, Cruise line do decease there cruise prices.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say that you check the price daily - how do you do that? Do you initiate a reservation through the cruise line or is there another way to check the price for your specific cabin category?

When you say that you check the price daily - how do you do that? Do you initiate a reservation through the cruise line or is there another way to check the price for your specific cabin category?

Do a mock booking by going to the website, and select your cruise, same cabin and number of people and compare the price. Keep in mind that if you got any extras as your booking such as OBC, then you will lose that (unless it is part of the current mock booking)

• 2 weeks later...

We only book cruises whose prices have gone down. Usually we book inside the final payment window. I would say that our last 15 cruises were booked this way.

We are now watching several ships/itineraries for a late Aug cruise. Prices may come down in late June. If we snag it, fine. If no, we will have a plan B.

Would most people recommend booking directly through the cruise line or through a travel agent? Our travel agent doesn't seem to know much about cruises (and how to get a good deal etc) but I have no idea how to find one that does. I am particularly interested in finding one that would be interested enough to ensure that if the price of a cruise we book decreases before the final payment is due that they would ensure that we got some sort of a rebate/upgrade/OBC etc.

Of course they do. Carnival is especially good for price adjustments if you book their Early Saver promotional rate for dates more than 3 months out. For example, I have 2 future cruises on Carnival currently booked, Nov 2015 and Nov 2016.

The Nov 2015 cruise was booked in March 2015. I checked the price in late April and it was $30 less so I applied for a price adjustment and received it. This month the Early Saver rate comes with a $50 onboard credit and a 2 category free upgrade. I applied for the rate adjustment and it was denied, but after an hour on the phone, they agreed that I was entitled to the $60 price adjustment and the $50 OBC. Ka-ching!

That's a total savings of $140 ($30+$60+$50). Don't expect that on every cruise. Late November is a slow period for cruising, but they still need to fill the ship so the price drops till the cabins sell. If you cruise in the high season, expect to pay higher prices and don't expect the price to go down much.

Another example, the Nov 2016 cruise was also covered by the same Early Saver promotional fare--$50 OBC and 2 catagory upgrade. I applied and received the adjustment, but it was only $20 (I also received the $50 OBC). This cruise is much more in demand (even 19 months out) since it's a 12 - day repositioning cruise to the southern Caribbean, unique in several ways.

A third example, of the opposite case, would be my Royal Caribbean cruise in February 2016. I reserved it in February 2015 and now the price is about $800 more than when I placed my deposit. Why? It's on a popular ship, the Oasis; it's at the peak of winter weather, mid-February; my cabin catagory is in high demand, Boardwalk Balcony. I saved because I booked early.

Many thanks Hawaiifrank. Unfortunately I am wanting to cruise with Royal Carribbean and from my conversations with one of their consultants today it doesn't sound like they will do it at all. I also rang a cruise travel agent and they said they wouldn't ever do it either, i.e. provide OBC/upgrade etc if price went down. Oh well I guess I will just have to go ahead and book and see what happens. Thanks anyway for your input.

Many thanks Hawaiifrank. Unfortunately I am wanting to cruise with Royal Carribbean and from my conversations with one of their consultants today it doesn't sound like they will do it at all. I also rang a cruise travel agent and they said they wouldn't ever do it either, i.e. provide OBC/upgrade etc if price went down. Oh well I guess I will just have to go ahead and book and see what happens. Thanks anyway for your input.

Yes I have read that RCCL doesn't have a price protection fare like Carnival. One thing they do allow, at least for some fare promotions, you can cancel and re-book at the lower price without penalty until final payment date. I know, most rate drops happen after final payment.

Even on Carnival, you must book the Early Saver fare type in order to get the reduction, if any. The catch is, it is non-cancellable and non-refundable. You can change the date for a $50 fee, but no full refunds.

I had 3 cabins booked for a cruise this past March. I had to cancel one of them when my daughter couldn't go. They charged $50 per person to cancel DD and her BF and I have to book another cruise (check), fill out the form to have the deposit applied (check), then wait for them to process it (still waiting after 22 days).

I've called twice. The representative competed form again and said to allow 48 to 72 hours for processing. Still waiting. It's not a straight forward transaction since I used my credit card but it was not me that canceled so the names are not me, but I want the credit applied to my wife and I. The reps say that is OK and it's the card holder that gets the deposit back. So I should be fine. Still waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

While on Allure of the Seas in Caribbean in Sept 2014, we booked a 12 night Med cruise for Sept 2015. We were told we were getting a good "Buy One Get 2nd person 1/2 price" deal as we were booking on the ship, i.e $9000 for the two of us, instead of presumably $12,000. Got home, checked the RCCL website. Anybody could have got that deal, in fact it was cheaper to book online. Rang RCCL. Their response: "Bad luck!" Could have cancelled but wanted to do the cruise so we begrudgingly wore it.

A month later got an email from Cruise Critic about price drops. Could now get same class cabin for 2 people for $6300. Rang my TA who cancelled original booking and secured another, in same class cabin in a better position on the ship. Wonderful!!

Moral of the story:

1) Don't trust RCCL (and maybe any other cruise line) with their talk of great deals. Do the research yourself before booking anything.

2) Register on Cruise Critic for notification of price drops and keep an eye on the price yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
Cruise prices drop all the time. I work at a cruise travel agency, one of the thinks I do is check for price changes before I post the final payments.

I'm constantly checking. Unfortunately our price has only gone up (and is currently $1500 more than we paid), but I know that they are currently changing their pricing and some do go down.

Constantly check and know what the holiday is really worth (in every sense) - cruise lines now offer so many freebies and packages it is difficult to know if you're really getting a good deal.

Is it worth paying a £100 more to get that Internet package worth £250?

Last year we paid what we thought was a good price £1500pp for 14 night med cruise with Celebrity (Balcony Guarantee) - we thought that was a good price and were very happy with what we got for our money - no freebies just the cruise and meals. Immediately after I noticed the repeat cruise for this year hovered around £2200 - £2700pp a hefty increase but with "free" drinks. Each week it seemed Celebrity would come out with a new offer with free this and that but still much higher prices. Then 3 weeks ago about 100 days before sailing - Prices dropped for a short period to £1000pp - no free drinks, no free on board credit, no free tips etc but a much lower price and a balcony cabin.

Some people will be very happy with deal they've got at £2200 - £2700pp comfortable knowing they've got free drinks, on board credit and so. For us we would never get anywhere near the extra £1200 - £1700pp back, so for us it's a bad deal.

Without doing the research if I looked on line and saw for £2700pp I could get a 14 day med cruise, with a balcony, all drinks included, free tips and some free OBC to spend in the ships shops I might think that was a bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

On our anniversary cruise, it was over $500 all the way up until about a month out then it dropped to $329 pp and we booked it. With my nurse schedule I never really know if I'll be able to take my time off until a month in advance so we are always booking things last minute. We had another couple going with us that booked 2 weeks after us and price had dropped more to $279. Same thing happened on our cruise back in March, then after we booked prices shot back up.

One thing to note. I NEVER make my final payment until I absolutely have to. For whatever reason, once you make that final payment, good luck getting anything out of the cruise line - and that's not just Royal Caribbean.

This has not been my experience. I am Australian but have booked quite a few cruises with USA travel agents in USD. Due to the rapidly deteriorating exchange rate I locked in my final payment well before time for our3 legs on Quantum in May/June this year. Paid in mid 2014 if my memory is correct.

I watch prices like a hawk once I am booked and when things worked in my favour I made 3 or 4 changes and received the associated price drops and/or cabin upgrades on those cruises. You can make any changes up until the official final payment date regardless of whether you have paid up or not. (well you can in the USA anyway. When w book with an Australian TA the cruise lines have a completely different set of rules for us as do the British ones).

There are far better price watching websites than the CC one but unfortunately the rules stop me mentioning them here.

Constantly check and know what the holiday is really worth (in every sense) - cruise lines now offer so many freebies and packages it is difficult to know if you're really getting a good deal.

Is it worth paying a £100 more to get that Internet package worth £250?

Last year we paid what we thought was a good price £1500pp for 14 night med cruise with Celebrity (Balcony Guarantee) - we thought that was a good price and were very happy with what we got for our money - no freebies just the cruise and meals. Immediately after I noticed the repeat cruise for this year hovered around £2200 - £2700pp a hefty increase but with "free" drinks. Each week it seemed Celebrity would come out with a new offer with free this and that but still much higher prices. Then 3 weeks ago about 100 days before sailing - Prices dropped for a short period to £1000pp - no free drinks, no free on board credit, no free tips etc but a much lower price and a balcony cabin.

Some people will be very happy with deal they've got at £2200 - £2700pp comfortable knowing they've got free drinks, on board credit and so. For us we would never get anywhere near the extra £1200 - £1700pp back, so for us it's a bad deal.

Without doing the research if I looked on line and saw for £2700pp I could get a 14 day med cruise, with a balcony, all drinks included, free tips and some free OBC to spend in the ships shops I might think that was a bargain.

I think you are quite, right many of these price drops, free drinks etc can be just a carrot on a stick . Last years we booked a package on Celebrity Eclipse departing Southampton on 01 November this year, 28 night transatlantic B2B with the following Caribbean itinerary cost £2499pp including the return flight to LHR . It wasn't long before the same 28 night B2B was offered for the same price WITHOUT The flights, so I felt confidently happy we had bagged a good deal . Today if you buy the same 2 cruises separately you can get them for a combined price of around £1850pp but the one way flight from MIA to LHR is around £700pp. So really where is the deal. Last year we booked a very cheap priced 7 night cruise from our local port of Malaga on Thomson Majesty £499 (cruise only) including a drinks package. 1 month before departure the price dropped to around £285 but no drinks package which was sold separately at over £200. Undoubtably there are some deals out there to be had but just be sure they are what they appear to be. I'm a great believer in "if it's something special that you really want to do, book it so you not disappointed and don't check the price again".

Glyn

• 1 month later...

I have been on 6 or so cruises and have only been able to take advantage of a Price Drop once (for my upcoming cruise). RCCL offered free port charges and taxes at one point after I made the original reservation and we were able to take advantage of that for a savings of $184.00 plus scored a $50 OBC. The prices fell again right before final payment was due but we would have lost the OBC and free taxes and port charges if we made a new reservation at the lower rate so we wouldn't have come out ahead!!

Well Yes and no......Cruise Critic sets itself up as a resource for cruisers....I do check these things out but, if a consumer advocate gave information you would kind of expect it to be beneficial to the consumer..not a lie to make money for some corporation...just a matter of how you represent yourself.

A "resource" for cruisers is not the same as an "advocate" for cruisers or consumers. Cruise Cruise critic has some great information and forums available, but it's still a commercial site that can charge more to advertisers if they can increase business to their advertisers. It's a great resource, but I would never call it a consumer advocate.

As an aside, my 2017 cruise just dropped in price, saving me over US$350. In reaction, my travel agent dropped their OBC by 10%, but I'd much rather pay less than have the extra OBC.

A "resource" for cruisers is not the same as an "advocate" for cruisers or consumers. Cruise Cruise critic has some great information and forums available, but it's still a commercial site that can charge more to advertisers if they can increase business to their advertisers. It's a great resource, but I would never call it a consumer advocate.

As an aside, my 2017 cruise just dropped in price, saving me over US$350. In reaction, my travel agent dropped their OBC by 10%, but I'd much rather pay less than have the extra OBC.

Me too!

• 2 weeks later...

After final payment I watch the prices daily--to get UPGRADED!

2 years ago we booked a balcony--and were able to make a major upgrade to Aqua Class balcony on Celebrity for $20 each--for the week!

Last year, I was able to upgrade us to a nicer floor (turned out to be a HUGE upgrade with all the spring breakers on the ship)...larger balcony & my parents were able to snag a huge family veranda cabin (I wish I had upgraded ALL of us to one of those--amazing!)

For us, the "all-inclusive" offerings of Celebrity these days are worth it. We got a Concierge veranda, free drinks (we like our drinks!), tips & $500 OBC. Factored in, we are paying about the same as we paid for a interior cabin on our early cruises--and we still paid tips, spent that much on drinks & a few other things as well (a photo or 2, excursion or 2, a few poker tournaments...) Totally worth it.

Edited by KKB

They sure do. Last week Radiance of the Seas Honolulu to Sydney 17 days Sept 21st 2015 was selling for $217 AUD ( I think that's about 2 bucks US LOL) for an inside guarantee. That was inclusive of ALL port fees and taxes but not tips. Australian site only. Far more expensive than the USA price.

It was for sale for at least a day but all insides are now gone.

That is the cheapest cruise I have ever seen.

Pity air was around $1500 one way and I had to work.

Edited by woodyren

• 5 weeks later...

I am checking daily for any changes in cost and am wondering if prices ever actually drop? Or will they keep going up in cost (and maybe drop very close to the cruise date...which would be past our last payment date)

You can see all of Allure's pricing history here: http://www.cruisewatch.net/64-Royal-Caribbean/831-Allure-of-the-Seas/analytics/oceanview.html

(switch through the cabin types in the white box).

As you can see Allure's average pricing trend is a general incremental reduction from list price to the point of sailing.

You can see all of Allure's pricing history here: http://www.cruisewatch.net/64-Royal-Caribbean/831-Allure-of-the-Seas/analytics/oceanview.html

(switch through the cabin types in the white box).

As you can see Allure's average pricing trend is a general incremental reduction from list price to the point of sailing.

Thanks. Neat link.

So far our Allure cruise has only gone up in price so glad we booked when we did. But we are still 3 months away from final payment so will be interesting so see what happens then.

And of course there's a cost to waiting as the desired stateroom and dining may be sold out.

Edited by LuCruise

• 3 weeks later...

I've cruised many times and always check the prices at least once a week before final payment is due. I usually see price increases, but for some reason my December Panama Canal cruise this year has gone down drastically since booking--I think to the amount $700pp and an additional $100 obc--all in a simple ocean view cabin. Only two other times prices went down were after final payment was due. Once I received a category upgrade and another I was told nothing could be done bc the ship was booked.