Do You Want Celebrity To Bring Back the A Cappella Groups?

AnchorsAweigh2011

I agree with Cle Guy on this one. I am 46, not 86.

On my recent cruise on the Summit "The Lost Boys" were fantastic. Also worthy of mention were the flamenco guitar stylings of Nestor Santurio. The guy was great. :D

I don't think a person's age has anything to do with the appeal (or lack-there-of) of the a cappella groups. I'm 37 and very much enjoyed them.

As many people have pointed out it's just a matter of personal taste. Personally I think the more entertainment choices, the better, even if it's something I have absolutely no interest in seeing/hearing, as long as it doesn't also result in an increase of the cost of cruise. Many people are saying they prefer something else to the a cappella groups, and that's fine, but the problem is oftentimes Celebrity doesn't appear to be replacing the entertainment that's cut with a different onboard entertainer, instead they are replacing that entertainment with pre-recorded music. Let's be clear- they aren't dropping the a cappella groups and string quartets/trios because people were complaining about them, they're doing it to lower costs and increase earnings per share (which RCI has done a phenomenal job of over the past few years). So, the real choice is do people prefer pre-recorded music to live music? If Celebrity cut all live entertainers (outside of the theatre), would people care? If you went to the lounges and bars and listened to recorded music instead of a live band, would it matter to most of Celebrity's guests? Obviously the a cappella groups and string groups weren't as popular as the house bands and various individuals that play around the ship so Celebrity could cut them without losing customers (I haven't heard anyone yet say they'd stop cruising Celebrity because of this change), but I fully expect Celebrity (and all cruise lines) to continue to slowly eliminate live entertainment options to cut costs. It won't be done overnight, but they'll start by changing one lounge from a live entertainment venue to one where a DJ is playing music. Then another venue. And another. And another.

My favorites include terrific Latin band dance groups, classical strings from Ukraine on Equinox and jazzbands

Also Motown dance party on pool deck at night with showband

Hope to hear some of the above in January

Sometimes a Dj is good but if I wanted recorded music I could bring iPod. Celebrity please ENTERTAIN me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh I do think they dropped the a cappella groups because I complained about them for many years. :)

I think they dropped them for that reason, coupled with what the reports back from the crew as to how well the group's performances were attended. Why should Celebrity or any cruise line keep a performer who doesn't command a good audience....that is a total waste of money.

To the poster that asked about live versus pre-recorded music. I would much rather listen to music I enjoyed (pop, rock, hip hop, blues, country) over music I didn't enjoy (classical, jazz, new age, easy listening, big band) and would take pre-recorded over live performance, if that was the only way I could get it.

I would love to see some well known performers on the ship, even if it meant that it would cost a little more, either for the cruise or the performance itself.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My wife and I have enjoyed listening to an a cappella group entertain us on our past cruises. We felt it added a touch of class and ambiance to our cruise. Do you want Celebrity to bring back the a cappella groups on their ships?

Absolutely. We did the westbound transatlantic in the fall and ALL the entertainment was horrible. No string trio, meaning they list about $40 a day from us in bar tabs, lousy acoustical guitar performer and a house band with an extremely limited repertoire and a tone-deaf lead singer. Such a disappointment compared to previous voyages. My iPod got a workout. The cruise overall was so disappointing that they get one more chance in September to Alaska, and if they fail, we're jumping ship, captains club points or not.

To the poster that asked about live versus pre-recorded music. I would much rather listen to music I enjoyed (pop, rock, hip hop, blues, country) over music I didn't enjoy (classical, jazz, new age, easy listening, big band) and would take pre-recorded over live performance, if that was the only way I could get it.

I would love to see some well known performers on the ship, even if it meant that it would cost a little more, either for the cruise or the performance itself.

You and I actually agree about not minding pre-recorded music that we like. Personally I would rather hear a Led Zeppelin or Jason Aldean CD to some house band playing bland versions of their songs.

As for well known performers on cruises- they have plenty of chartered ships that do just that. I know there's a Monsters of Rock cruise, a Kiss cruise, a Weezer cruise, a cruise with famous DJs like Skrillex, a country cruise featuring artists like Vince Gill, and even a New Kids on the Block Cruise, although I don't think any of those are on Celebrity ships. But besides chartered cruises I can't envision a scenario where Celebrity would hire famous musicians to play onboard because the people who are not fans of that artist probably wouldn't be willing to pay the extra cost to cover that person/band's fees (although I think James Taylor was an onboard guest on the QM2 recently on their transatlantic crossings, I believe that'd be the exception rather than the rule).

Generally I don't like a Capella groups. However I did like Full Tilt who were on the Eclipse i n 2012 and 2013 when they did their Jersey Boys songs.

Full Tilt was amazing. I also saw them on the Eclipse and their performances were standing room only through-out that cruise. Their jersey boys bit during the final night's show in the main theatre was the highlight of that show.

You and I actually agree about not minding pre-recorded music that we like. Personally I would rather hear a Led Zeppelin or Jason Aldean CD to some house band playing bland versions of their songs.

As for well known performers on cruises- they have plenty of chartered ships that do just that. I know there's a Monsters of Rock cruise, a Kiss cruise, a Weezer cruise, a cruise with famous DJs like Skrillex, a country cruise featuring artists like Vince Gill, and even a New Kids on the Block Cruise, although I don't think any of those are on Celebrity ships. But besides chartered cruises I can't envision a scenario where Celebrity would hire famous musicians to play onboard because the people who are not fans of that artist probably wouldn't be willing to pay the extra cost to cover that person/band's fees (although I think James Taylor was an onboard guest on the QM2 recently on their transatlantic crossings, I believe that'd be the exception rather than the rule).

I don't equate a chartered cruise for one group/person to be my cup of tea. I would like a name group/person to play a few nights during a cruise, instead of being subjected to their music for the whole cruise. I can only wish Celebrity would do it (have name performers), but if they never do, hopefully they will play more modern music, as well as the type of music that other cruisers like, so everyone will have something that they can enjoy. Edited by NLH Arizona

If it was Here Comes Treble from the Office I would vote yes. However, this along with barber shop quartets are styles of music I don't understand. I find the entertainment so bland that we attend a show every other cruise. I find they have a hard time figuring out the appropriate groups to bring in to entertain. It is like when Sha-NA-Na was invited to Woodstock to perform.

my wife and i have enjoyed listening to an a cappella group entertain us on our past cruises. We felt it added a touch of class and ambiance to our cruise. Do you want celebrity to bring back the a cappella groups on their ships?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No , please don't bring them back. Need more vibrant entertainment onboard

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Millennium Southbound Alaska May 2015

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

We loved one group on the Equinox, but did not care for a group on the Solstice. They just were not as good and we were sick of them by mid week. :( They kept singing the same songs.

However, anything is better than the one band performer (Lady and the Sax) that they had on the Constellation last Spring.

Great Quartet 2011 Equinox!

th_334_zpsdu2ipqid.mp4

We prefer Big Band trios or even the guitar players. We once had a guitar player on the Equinox that was outstanding! Does anyone know if this guy is still playing for Celebrity?

From 2011 on the Equinox (Sorry this is sideways. Could not figure out how to get it upright.:o)

th_324_zpsupkggar2.mp4

Scan down page to watch the videos on Photobucket

Edited by Iamthesea