Should we switch it up?!

obsessedsc

Our last 5 cruises have been Eastern Caribbean. There are still things we would like to do there, but wondering if Western Caribbean (Falmouth, Labadee, Cozumel) can compare?! We cruise for the ship and a couple great beach days. I would really love to see Labadee again. The last time I was there was more than 10 years ago, but I'm not sure our days in Falmouth/ Cozumel can beat the days we have had in St. Thomas, St. John and St. Martin. Would love some help making the decision! Let me add that we have a 2 and 3 year old (that have both cruised)!

There are no good beaches near Falmouth. Coz has a few good beaches on the port side of the island, and beautiful. but not swimable, vistas on the other side of the island. I preferred Labadee as it was several years ago, but it is still worth a visit. If you can get a western cruise that includes Roatan, it has the most beautiful beaches on the western route, but they are on the other side of the island from the port. I have been on most of the Caribbean islands and I think the southern routes have the best beaches.

Absolutely switch it up! I started out the way you did, basically by accident. Once, friends asked us to change from our scheduled cruise to theirs, which repeated the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for us. Once, RC switch the itinerary to eastern after I booked western.

Anyway.............

Labadee really is a WONDERFUL beach day. RC really has it "down to a science". You can spend nothing or you can spend a lot, but you can relax and enjoy yourself all day.

For instance, even if you don't want to spend money doing the zip line, you can have fun watching others do it. I like to walk by the "practice area" for the zip line and watch the newbies come crashing down. ;)

In Falmouth, schedule a private tour. There are wonderful places to go if you have never been to Jamaica. Again, you can be as active or as lazy as you want.

The board here has a LOT of specific suggestions: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Cozumel. What can I say? SO many things to do. Again, active or lazy, your choice.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Switch it up! Cozumel and better yet Grand Cayman!

ON Grand Cayman a jet ski tour to Starfish beach and then Stingray City cannot be beat. We were there in Feb 2014 and we are taking our Daughters back there in Feb 2016.

Cozumel is a blast too.

Based on the OP signature she has been sailing the Oasis class. This limits the western itinerary to the three ports listed. Falmouth and Cozumel need to be enjoyed thru excursions (tubing, climbing falls, snorkeling..etc). Since you have young kids these excursions may be limited. Ad others have noted - If you did do a western I would recommend the other ships (Freedom now) that include all 4 ports (Grand Cayman). Have Fun!!

We did the Eastern once and the Western 4 times.

Love the Western.

Like previous poster commented Labadee the best, relaxing or very active if you want that.

Jamaica is unique and should at least be explored once..............makes you appreciate what you have................I would not do alone, some kind of a tour.

Cozumel is a very hot destination and we usually do a water activity and some shopping.

Enjoy, we do.

In Fact doing the Western in August.

Sea Ya

Absolutely switch it up! I started out the way you did, basically by accident. Once, friends asked us to change from our scheduled cruise to theirs, which repeated the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for us. Once, RC switch the itinerary to eastern after I booked western.

Anyway.............

Labadee really is a WONDERFUL beach day. RC really has it "down to a science". You can spend nothing or you can spend a lot, but you can relax and enjoy yourself all day.

For instance, even if you don't want to spend money doing the zip line, you can have fun watching others do it. I like to walk by the "practice area" for the zip line and watch the newbies come crashing down. ;)

In Falmouth, schedule a private tour. There are wonderful places to go if you have never been to Jamaica. Again, you can be as active or as lazy as you want.

The board here has a LOT of specific suggestions: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Cozumel. What can I say? SO many things to do. Again, active or lazy, your choice.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Everything Merion Mom said!

We hadn't done the RC western itinerary since 2007. We've done the eastern itinerary several times, and while we still love it, we really had a nice time on the western itinerary this past September. Labadee is a great beach day, and they've made so many changes there.

You'll get all sorts of opinions here. Some love the Eastern and hate the Western, and vice versa. Others will tout the Southern. Everyone has their favorites. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so are cruises. If an itinerary was horrible, for everyone, it wouldn't exist, or have repeat cruisers.

I would suggest you try every itinerary. That's the only way you'll truly know what works for you.

We did the Freedom last year. It was our second cruise on her. Love that ship but planning for Oasis this time! Thanks for all the opinions. I think I've decided that if more family goes with us we will try western and if its just the 4of us we will stick to Eastern! We actually picked freedom last year over allure/oasis for a day at coco cay and we had to miss it so I'm learning not pick a trip just for a specific port because the weather is unpredictable! My luck we go to Labadee and its the rainy washout day of our vacation!

We are going on the Independence of the Seas this coming February for our future son-in-law's first trial cruise of which is heading west, with that said my body will be on that ship, but my heart will be in the Eastern Caribbean, or even better a very large new ship heading to the Southern Caribbean. Will see how it goes.

Sincerely, Ron and Carla M

Our last 5 cruises have been Eastern Caribbean. There are still things we would like to do there, but wondering if Western Caribbean (Falmouth, Labadee, Cozumel) can compare?! We cruise for the ship and a couple great beach days. I would really love to see Labadee again. The last time I was there was more than 10 years ago, but I'm not sure our days in Falmouth/ Cozumel can beat the days we have had in St. Thomas, St. John and St. Martin. Would love some help making the decision! Let me add that we have a 2 and 3 year old (that have both cruised)!

Really switch it up. Do a B2B Cruise. Western/Eastern or Western/Southern itineraries.