If you have had an upsell call

carnivaljunkie

We received an upgrade booked through a TA. It was on the Conquest. We had booked six balcony cabins in a row on the Empress Deck. One of the cabins was for three guys. For some reason, Carnival decided that that cabin was now for only two people.

They called the first couple in our group alphabetically and ask them if it was OK to "upgrade" all six cabins to the Panorama Deck. They said yes without checking with the rest of us.

I only found out when I went online to look at our booking. I called the TA to find out what was going on. She had to call Carnival to find out. It was then that we learned that they only called the first couple and that they OK'd it. It was a smart move on their part because now we always book the Panorama Deck.

Upgrades or Upsells have a lot to do with what cabin you book. If there is a big demand for lets say an inside on the Empress Deck and they are sold out, chances are, you will be one that gets an upsell call. Aft cabins seem to get them a lot too. With us booking Panorama Balcony cabins, we probably never will get an upsell call which is fine because that's where we want to be and the only upgrade or upsell would be a suite.

Edited by RWolver672

we usually book with a PVP and we've received 3 upsell calls. I really think it depends on when the cruise and how well it's selling, not how you book. we always cruise in the slower times so they most likely don't fill the ships as quickly as a summer or school break cruises.

I have been on 3 cruises (4th is in March). I have always booked online. During this time, I have had two upsell. The first was a call for our cruise on the Victory. I upgraded to a suite versus a regular balcony because it was my daughters' 18th birthday. I just received an email this week, upselling me to a balcony from an interior for $140.

Upgrades or Upsells have a lot to do with what cabin you book. If there is a big demand for lets say an inside on the Empress Deck and they are sold out, chances are, you will be one that gets an upsell call.
That's my theory on upsell calls as well. The three times we received the calls, we had booked cabins that others likely would have wanted and been willing to pay good money to get.

I received an upsell call on Wed while at work. I didn't answer because the phone said "unknown". I called back that night & left a message. Jeremy called me back about 30 minutes ago. We went from an 8C Balcony to a OS Suite for $300 more!!!! Technically $250 more because I'd already bought a FTTF. I cancelled that so will have the $49.95 credited back. I'm soooo excited!! The room is 100 sq ft bigger, the balcony over doubled in size. It has a fridge & mini bar and a jetted tub. Happy 50th to me!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

4 Carnival Cruises and only was upsold on one of them.

1st cruise - booked through a TA, inside room and included air (did not get a call)

2nd cruise - booked myself on carnival.ca, two adjoining ocean view rooms (did not get a call)

3rd cruise - booked myself on carnival.ca, inside room on Breeze when it was still fairly new. Received a call the day before we cruised, just as we were leaving for the airport. Offered $400 to upgrade to a balcony on deck 8. Took it.

4th cruise - booked myself on carnival.ca (was back to back with the 3rd cruise) inside room, (did not get a call)

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme nor reason for us. *shrug*

Always book online. In 10 cruises, have received 2 upsell calls on my 2 most recent cruises: 1 to move from inside to a balcony, 1 to move from balcony to suite. I didn't take either deal, because didn't think the deals were that great -- tried to negotiate, but they politely declined.

Upcoming is my 8th Carnival cruise, of which I received an upsell call only when we had a balcony booked on the Pride. Was offered an upsell to a suite, overall price wasn't too much more so we took it. Never received any other offers.

Last cruise we did an inside, upcoming cruise is also an inside. On the Liberty we had an OV, Dream, Glory and Splendor all had balconies.

You can create your own upsell call by initiating the call. If prices have dropped a lot you can get an upsell for almost next to nothing at times. No need to wait on them to call you.

Just did that . Had a guaranteed interior cabin upgraded to a lido deck balcony for $ 200 and got to pick my room .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am curious about which type of bookings get upsell calls. If you book through a TA do they call? If you book on line do they call? If you book by phone do they call? If you book through a PVP do they call?

I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and have never received an upsell call. If you have received one, how did you book?

We always book online or through PVP. We have sometimes gotten upsell calls after booking both ways and once got a free upgrade call on one I had booked online. Hope this helps.

I've had 2 calls and both times I was in an aft extended balcony. One call was for the owners suite on Destiny for an additional $1200,(which was more than I paid for the original cruise) the other time I was on the Liberty and was offered to a suite, don't remember what kind, but the offer was for $400 to upgrade, so I turned both of them down.

Just curious, was that $200 per person or total?

Total $100 PP . I about was like sign me up, only paid $650 total for the cruise as it was 7 days on the Liberty so now we have a Lido deck Balcony room for $850 total taxes port charges everything , they are booking for double that.

6 cruises all booked with PVP, 2 rooms per voyage (except for 1 that was our anniversary cruise, left teens at home). Got 1 call from "Carnival post booking sales" for our May family cruise on the Legend but we were not home so they left message on answering machine to return call. As we were very happy with our extended balconies, we never returned the call. We are usually booked extended balconies or Aft Wrap with the bowling alley beside it. We book these rooms for a reason and want to stay beside our kids, open the balcony divider and have a super balcony!:D Can't imagine any upsale would be worth it for us.

What happens to early saver if you accept an upsell?

You still have Early Saver. The only way to lose Early Saver is if you manage to get someone to release your booked cabin and go into the GTY pool to get OBC. Then you lose Early Saver as you would not be GTY.

We usually use a TA and never received an upsell but for our 1/19 cruise, I just booked online. Received the upsell email and call on the same day last week. From a guarantee inside they offered us a grand suite for $350. This is for 3 in a cabin so we figured that it's a decent deal because we would never book a grand suite on our own. This would be worth it for the experience even though Carnival's suit perk is so minimal.

With NCL we did get a great upsell through our TA. Their suite perks are amazing!

Just got an upsell call. From an extended aft balcony to a grand suite for $800 (7-day). Don't wanna give up my aft balcony, so not really thinking it over too hard. I booked online. First cruise with Carnival.

Edited by CanadianDee