Included Shore Excursions + WiFi

oregon50

Don't like the idea. Don't like the idea at all. We tend to do our own thing and rarely use the SS excursions so would effectively be subsidising the excursions for others.

I can understand why they might choose to offer inclusive tours but if it takes the prices substantially higher then they may well lose customers to RSSC and SB rather than attract them.

I have no problem, however, with inclusive wifi as long as the additional levy on the fare is low.

If you look closely at the details for this testing of their Silversea all-inclusive plan, here is an important "detail" that I do not think has been discussed. When reading carefully, these allowed or "free" shore excursions are classed as "Select" and marked as a "S" category tour. Not included as "free" are those tours labels as "C" for Choice or "P" for Privato. They note on the "C" options: "Guests who seek a more immersive experience can upgrade to our award-winning Silver Shore Collection, small-group excursions that delve deeper into the art, history and cuisine of each locale." Totally understand those "P" tours costing more. BUT, most of us would want or expect many of the "C" tours to be included, too.

As an example for Dubrovnik, there are only three of the "S" or "free" options available and offered at this one port stop. If you are interested in a "better" tour potential, you are going to need to shift up, UP to the "C" for Choice options. Added, higher costs to get it free!!??

I checked a number of other Med port stops where we have been and I would rate the "C"/Choice offerings as fairly modest, highly limited and not as exciting for what many of the more experienced travelers who have done more than average in the world would expect.

Consumers are not dumb!! If this is their game for "free" excursion, folks will be very unhappy if they feel they are getting a "bait & switch" to try to force customers to spend more to get the "good" shore excursions. Offering a smaller number of choices will make people very sour and feeling cheated. Not a way to build long-term customer loyalty.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,247 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Consumers are not dumb!! If this is their game for "free" excursion, folks will be very unhappy if they feel they are getting a "bait & switch" to try to force customers to spend more to get the "good" shore excursions. Offering a smaller number of choices will make people very sour and feeling cheated. Not a way to build long-term customer loyalty.

Nice point Terry, however SS has not been interested in long term loyalty for quite some time now.

Craig,

I'm afraid it will cause pricing to go up just as it did on Regent. Remember, at first Regent didn't raise its prices for the "free" excursions and now they are the highest priced luxury line because of them. I think if SS is testing this in the Med it only means they intend to go fleet wide with this and higher fares will be the result. jmo.

What I'm wondering is if the "C" class tours will drop in price from previous years. After all, cruisers are paying more for the base fare including the tour so the delta between 'free tour' and upgraded tour should be less than the delta between no tour and a tour, or to be exact, the difference between the old city bus tour and a better tour.

Since those city bus tours used to be between $50 and $80, I'd expect the C tours to be between $50 and $80 less than they were last year.

I wonder if there were any focus groups to support this decision by SS.

There was a recent email survey that primarily focused on the new ads/web design, but also asked one the importance/appeal of various attributes, including the "all-inclusive" aspect. I seem to recall that they asked about "shore excursions included"(which I rated as not at all important/appealing).

The problem is, the survey did not indicate that "included shore excursions" would result in increased fares, so I am sure they received a high % of responses that said "sure, please add free shore excursions", thus validating their decision - but based on survey design that skewed the results.

Don't like the idea. Don't like the idea at all. We tend to do our own thing and rarely use the SS excursions so would effectively be subsidising the excursions for others.

I agree completely. In more than 30 years of cruising, we've always preferred to do our own thing.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

I received a survey a few months ago that was specifically addressing included excursions and what price point would be acceptable if they were included. I guess they used the results of the survey to determine pricing, at least partially. They were sort of figuring out what the market would bear.

Craig,

I'm afraid it will cause pricing to go up just as it did on Regent. Remember, at first Regent didn't raise its prices for the "free" excursions and now they are the highest priced luxury line because of them. I think if SS is testing this in the Med it only means they intend to go fleet wide with this and higher fares will be the result. jmo.

What ever happened to the " Silversea Experience? " remember that?......bye bye!

What ever happened to the " Silversea Experience? " remember that?......bye bye!

The "Silversea Experience" was the highlight of several cruises we've taken. It's what made Silversea one step ahead of competition. Now, it appears that Silversea is just trying to match the competition.