Questions about Hotel Saturnia in Venice

OnlineMom

Hello all! I hope you don't mind some questions from a very green European traveler. :)

My family (6 people total) is getting ready for our first trip abroad. We will be cruising the Grand Med in June. It will be myself (44), my husband (59), our two teenagers (14 and 15 - one who has special needs) and my parents (67/69). We dropped the ball and didn't book our 1-night pre-cruise hotel-of-choice package early enough and now the group space (with Princess) is gone and the packages are "closed". The hotel does have rooms available, though, so we could book independently but we're a little nervous about arranging our transfers from VCE-hotel on our arrival day and then from the hotel-port the day of our cruise. Booking rooms independently would save us a tremendous amount of money but we all agree that the seamless convenience of having Princess handle everything for us is very attractive. We've contacted the hotel and they have told us that they can pre-arrange VCE-hotel transfers for us for 170 euros (6 people including luggage) - a taxi from airport to dock and then a water taxi from the dock to the back door of the hotel. They also said we would pay the 170 euros to the concierge upon check-out. Does this sound like a reasonable amount? It seems odd to pay the hotel concierge and not the transfer-provider... Has anyone had the Saturnia arrange such transportation for them? How would we find said taxi driver at the airport? Is tipping customary for transfers like this? (We have no problem with tipping - just don't want to offend anyone (not sure what is customary there) and want to make sure we convert enough money for the things we'll need cash for.)

Too - the hotel told us that on our cruise embarkation day, we could catch a water taxi outside of the hotel for 100-110 euros and that we would pay cash to the driver directly. She didn't say if this would be for 6 people or per family etc. but I imagine it'd be for all of us based on the 170 euros cost of the (much longer) transfer from the airport to the hotel. I guess I have the same questions about this - do you tip water taxi drivers? How does one get such a water taxi? Similar to how we hail a taxi (on the street) in the US? And where is the drop-off for the cruise ships? Fairly close to the port?

Our contact at Hotel Saturnia has been lovely and her English is fairly good however I just fear small things may get lost in the translation and would prefer not to have any unexpected surprises come up on these days - especially traveling with my Autistic son and 2 grumpy old men - all whom I assume will be quite weary after a 14+ hour journey from Los Angeles. :D I just want things to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks so much for any information - I really appreciate it!

Actually, both the rate and the routing sound off to me. If you're taking a water taxi you should simply take it from the airport ... why deal with a land taxi only to get on a water taxi later?

It's been a few years but I paid €100 from the airport directly to our hotel, I'd book on my own rather than through the hotel.

Speaking of hotels, why limit yourself to the one that deals with groups? Why not pick a place that caters to individual travelers?

Here are two places you can go to get a water taxi quote:

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/trasferimenti.php

http://www.venicewatertaxi.it/?lang=en

Edited by euro cruiser

I was born and raised in LA so I understand your concerns. However, VenIce is VERY small and easy to navigate, so you are worrying unnecessarily!!;)

I don't know a thing about the Saturnia, but it should be pretty easy to get to ANY hotel from the airport if you are willing to pay for a water taxi. As Euro suggests, about 100-120€ should do it. You might check venere.com or Venice for Visitors. To make it extra easy, you should look for a hotel that has its own dock, although almost all hotels are just a short walk from the nearest docking area.You can actually just book a water taxi at the desk in the arrivals terminal once you arrive; I don't think the price would be much different and it really is not necessary to pre-book the water taxis. You will have to walk several hundred relatively flat yards from the terminal down to the dock.

Once at your hotel, you will find that Venice is very walkable unless any of your party have mobility issues; depending on how long you are there, you may want to look into vaporetto passes for a certain number of hours, e.g. 12, 24, 36, etc. You can take the number one or number two up-and-down the Grand Canal and get a lovely view without spending a lot of money.

As far as getting to the ship, whatever hotel you end up at can get a water taxi for you that morning, just as a hotel would get you a regular taxi on the street. The water taxi dock is very close to the baggage drop off area so that should be a cinch.

Booking on your own this way, you are almost sure to save a lot of money versus booking a pre-cruise tour directly with Princess.

Good luck and don't fret, it is way easier than you imagine.

To make tranfers a bit easier maybe consider a hotel near Piazzale Roma.

P Roma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, etc drop off their passengers from the airport. And a land taxi can pick you up at P Roma and take you to the pier. It's only a block nor 2 from the Grand Canal for ease of sightseeing.

Santa Chiara, Ca Doge, Best Western Olimpia, the Arlecchino,

Or you could stay in Mestre, a town or suburb just north of Venice. No, it's not Venice, but many visitors to Venice do it to make it easier on them, especially when they have luggage. You can simply take a (land) taxi from the airport to a hotel there, and then a taxi the next day to the port. The hotels are cheaper, many are more modern (think elevator, which some Venice hotels don't have), and if you do want to go into Venice, it only takes a 10 minute train ride (or cab ride). Of course, the area is NOT Venice and so a bit more boring.

I just replied to someone asking for hotel advice in Venice - you might want to look at that thread.

I have never been to Venice, but am learning a lot about it. I think you'd do OK away from the Princess group and manage just fine. Google Tom's Port Guides for great info, and the Venice for Visitors site, too. If you're there on a weekend, don't wait too long to book a hotel. They fill up easily, especially the almost-affordable ones. (I say almost, because most of them are pretty expensive.....) Make sure they have an elevator...

Enjoy! Oh, and nobody answered your tipping question, but in general there isn't much tipping done in Europe. I think for land taxis only a small amount is customary, but I'm not sure. I'm just going to do the bus and vaporetto to my Venice hotel, so I haven't a clue what's customary with water taxis. Maybe someone else can give you more information.

Good luck, and have a wonderful first Euro trip!

Edited by roothy123

We get into this discussion a lot here. Some have compared staying in Mestre to visiting Manhattan but staying in Hoboken. I have been through Mestre on the train, and by car, and believe me, it is NOT Venice. It is a gritty industrial town. Yes rooms are cheaper, and for good reason.

I have also been to Venice at least three times. The town at night, after all the tourists have left, is magical, much moreso than during the crowded days IMO. Personally I would hate to miss out on being able to stroll the canals and piazzas after a leisurely dinner.

I know there are cruisers here who swear by Mestre, but there are many more who wouldn't consider staying there. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

We get into this discussion a lot here. Some have compared staying in Mestre to visiting Manhattan but staying in Hoboken. I have been through Mestre on the train, and by car, and believe me, it is NOT Venice. It is a gritty industrial town. Yes rooms are cheaper, and for good reason.

I have also been to Venice at least three times. The town at night, after all the tourists have left, is magical, much moreso than during the crowded days IMO. Personally I would hate to miss out on being able to stroll the canals and piazzas after a leisurely dinner.

I know there are cruisers here who swear by Mestre, but there are many more who wouldn't consider staying there. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

Hey, I visited Manhattan and stayed in Hoboken!!! The W is a great hotel on the waterfront and a quick water taxi away from lower Manhattan :D

I'm also thinking the OP shouldn't limit herself to that on hotel only because Princess is using it. There are many there hotels recommended on this board that will be nicer AND less expensive than the group hotel. And, plenty of helpful Venice veterans to help.

To make tranfers a bit easier maybe consider a hotel near Piazzale Roma.

P Roma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, etc drop off their passengers from the airport. And a land taxi can pick you up at P Roma and take you to the pier. It's only a block nor 2 from the Grand Canal for ease of sightseeing.

Santa Chiara, Ca Doge, Best Western Olimpia, the Arlecchino,

From all the research on these boards this is same advice I was going to give. Since you are a group of six a private water taxi directly to the hotel would be cost effective. This is something to consider especially since you have a special needs child. If the child doesn't have a problem getting in and out of the boat it would be less stressful for them.

If you stay at a hotel on/very close to Piazzale Roma there's no need to spend the money on a water taxi; in this case a land taxi makes more sense.

Regarding the Mestre/Hoboken analogy, I think comparing Mestre to Secaucus is more apt. Hoboken is closer to New York than Mestre is to Venice, and there's actually a lot happening in Hoboken (plus there's that great view). Secaucus on the other hand ...

If you stay at a hotel on/very close to Piazzale Roma there's no need to spend the money on a water taxi; in this case a land taxi makes more sense.

Regarding the Mestre/Hoboken analogy, I think comparing Mestre to Secaucus is more apt. Hoboken is closer to New York than Mestre is to Venice, and there's actually a lot happening in Hoboken (plus there's that great view). Secaucus on the other hand ...

Sorry, I don't know my NJ geography very well. ;) I do know that Hoboken is up and coming, it was just the first place that popped into my head!

Edited by CathyCruises

Sorry, I don't know my NJ geography very well. ;) I do know that Hoboken is up and coming, it was just the first place that popped into my head!

We'll forgive you ;)

That view from the W Hoboken is quite outstanding, especially when you have the corner river view room!

I remember walking the main street and seeing this Italian bakery. Walked in and bought a bunch of favorite munchies to take on my LONG flight to Cairo. Found out later it was the Carlo Bakery...

It's also a timing issue Cathy, when I was a kid Hoboken was a mess, it was just the place you stopped before getting on the path train into the city, or where you got off the path train and onto New Jersey transit trains.

Well, I had my eyes opened when I found out Natalie Morales from the Today show lives there with her family. I remembered it as a less-than-desirable place to live, but good for them in getting it cleaned up and 'gentrified'!!!;)

The discussion about Hoboken is off topic

To answer the OPs questions, 160 e paid to the concierge is too much.

A water taxi directly from the airport to the hotel is by far your best bet. It is a delightful way to see Venice for the first time.

As you leave the arrivals area at the airport there is a desk for the water taxi consortium. Tell them where you want to go and they give you the number of the water taxi that they call to the dock for you. The dock is a 8 minute level walk. ( it sounds a lot but is no worse than many airport parking structures)

The cost will be 110 euros. If you feel the need, you can purchase in advance on the net- Google venice water taxi consortium- you will get a voucher but not a specific taxi.

The hotel will arrange your water taxi to the port the next day. Anything more than 70 euros is probably too much. You pay the taxi pilot directly.

Trust me, with this many and a special needs child, a water taxi is THE way to go. You won't regret it. It's no more difficult than getting a taxi in any US city airport.

If you are flying in from the states you will be tired- don't fool around with buses, land taxis, water buses and so on. Take the quick and direct route. You won't be sorry.

The discussion about Hoboken is off topic

A water taxi directly from the airport to the hotel is by far your best bet. It is a delightful way to see Venice for the first time.

As you leave the arrivals area at the airport there is a desk for the water taxi consortium. Tell them where you want to go and they give you the number of the water taxi that they call to the dock for you. The dock is a 8 minute level walk. ( it sounds a lot but is no worse than many airport parking structures)

The cost will be 110 euros. If you feel the need, you can purchase in advance on the net- Google venice water taxi consortium- you will get a voucher but not a specific taxi.

The hotel will arrange your water taxi to the port the next day. Anything more than 70 euros is probably too much. You pay the taxi pilot directly.

Trust me, with this many and a special needs child, a water taxi is THE way to go. You won't regret it. It's no more difficult than getting a taxi in any US city airport.

If you are flying in from the states you will be tired- don't fool around with buses, land taxis, water buses and so on. Take the quick and direct route. You won't be sorry.

I 100% agree with this, it's just too bad that after all this good advice, and a few OT tangents, that the OP hasn't come back. Hopefully they have at least read this even if they didn't care to comment. I guess in any case it can be good advice for someone else!

I 100% agree with this, it's just too bad that after all this good advice, and a few OT tangents, that the OP hasn't come back. Hopefully they have at least read this even if they didn't care to comment. I guess in any case it can be good advice for someone else!

I apologize for not replying sooner. I receive most of the reply notifications on my iPhone (on the run a lot lately - busy with 2 freshmen in high school and caring for my husband who had open heart surgery on December 23) but prefer to respond when I can actually sit down at my computer.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions and information! My parents have their heart set on the Saturnia and there are definitely things I love about it as well. I think that we are feeling more and more comfortable with the thought of arranging for our own transportation now. It doesn't seem as if the language difference should present too much of a problem and we will have plenty of euros in hand to pay for private transfers now that I have an idea what a reasonable charge for them should be. Thanks so much!

I apologize for not replying sooner. I receive most of the reply notifications on my iPhone (on the run a lot lately - busy with 2 freshmen in high school and caring for my husband who had open heart surgery on December 23) but prefer to respond when I can actually sit down at my computer.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions and information! My parents have their heart set on the Saturnia and there are definitely things I love about it as well. I think that we are feeling more and more comfortable with the thought of arranging for our own transportation now. It doesn't seem as if the language difference should present too much of a problem and we will have plenty of euros in hand to pay for private transfers now that I have an idea what a reasonable charge for them should be. Thanks so much!

Thank you for coming back! Everyone here is happy to share info, it's nice when the original poster actually looks at it!

The language issue is really a non-issue. English is widely spoken, especially in the touristy areas, and you won't have any trouble at all. Happy travels!

Great information - thanks, Earl! This definitely sounds do-able. I assume we would be responsible for bringing our luggage with us from the airport to the dock for that 8 minute walk? (Just checking - want to make sure Grandma and Papa are aware of and prepared for that.) 110 euros is definitely better than the 170 quoted to me by the hotel. I assume the difference is their "arranger's fee". :) Unless... I know the one the hotel would arrange would be private (just my family of 6) - is the 110 price, perhaps, for a shared water taxi?

Great information - thanks, Earl! This definitely sounds do-able. I assume we would be responsible for bringing our luggage with us from the airport to the dock for that 8 minute walk? (Just checking - want to make sure Grandma and Papa are aware of and prepared for that.) 110 euros is definitely better than the 170 quoted to me by the hotel. I assume the difference is their "arranger's fee". :) Unless... I know the one the hotel would arrange would be private (just my family of 6) - is the 110 price, perhaps, for a shared water taxi?

the price is per water taxi regardless how many of you there are so yes it would be private for your party unless you choose to share with others to reduce cost

this year we pre booked at venicelink and got a discount-trying to remember whether was 90 or 99 euros-whatever it was cheaper

we exchanged our voucher inside the airport terminal and were given a ticket for our party of 4 with a taxi number

the walk from airport terminal to dock is a long covered path-there are luggage carts which makes transporting luggage easier but we couldn't spot them easily at the airport.Probably because most of them are by the baggage carousel and we were already outside by the time we realised pulling our luggage behind us is a pain when you have someone less mobile and part of a snaking queue of people all heading the same way

Edited by fabnfortysomething

All good tips, thanks everyone! The more I read, the more I learn :)

Would the water taxi work for Best Western Olimpia ? I was going to use the express bus to Piazzale Roma, then walk the rest of the way. Thoughts?

I just bought a spinner piece of luggage (I know, some of you have had them for years) and I'm amazed at how easy it is to wheel it along beside me instead of the old fashioned kind! I know that if you have mobility problems, you can get wheelchairs and porters and whatnot (or at least part of your party can) but for those times and people who have to lug suitcases, it really helps to have the right kind of suitcases!

There is also a water taxi you can share with others (like how an airport shuttle works on land - pay per person) but I would guess that with 6 people, there is no need for me to give you a link! I would just go with the private water taxi.

Thanks for the detailed info on the water taxi, Earl and fabforty. Yes, we all benefit from the info, not just the original poster!

All good tips, thanks everyone! The more I read, the more I learn :)

Would the water taxi work for Best Western Olimpia ? I was going to use the express bus to Piazzale Roma, then walk the rest of the way. Thoughts?

unless you really want a water taxi experience it would be a very expensive way to get to that hotel

the express bus costs about 7 euros each and lands you in the middle of P Roma-the hotel is only a couple hundred yards from there over 1 small bridge

The taxis only hold six so you would definitely have a private one. One word of caution, you do have to be able to stoop down pretty low to get inside, remember that these are very low boats to fit under the bridges. If the day is nice, you can slide the cover forward from the far back of the boat and stand up to catch the views.

Yes, do grab luggage carts if you can, but we too have the spinner cases and it's very easy to walk with them. I'm not sure how old your parents are but DH and I are 65 and 62 and we have absolutely no problem with any of this.

I checked out the Saturnia and it does look very nice. It is close enough to the San Marco docking area that you could take Alilaguna (like an airport shuttle on water) from the airport, but at about 15€/pp it doesn't make sense with the size of your group. May as well arrive in style!

I just looked at the hotel, too, as I was curious. It looks very nice, and is in a good location for getting to a number of places on foot without a long walk. However, one thing popped out at me: It's hard to tell from their map where the closest canal is, as there are some shadings that represent water but I'm not sure. You might want to prepare yourself to find out just where you would be dropped. If the water taxi can't get you right to the hotel, you might want to find out just how far you would have to walk to get there, and if there are any stepped bridges to navigate. I have heard that you can sometimes arrange for a porter to help you get your luggage to the hotel in this case. The Saturnia may know and be able to arrange to have one meet you where the water taxi drops you off.

the price is per water taxi regardless how many of you there are so yes it would be private for your party unless you choose to share with others to reduce cost

this year we pre booked at venicelink and got a discount-trying to remember whether was 90 or 99 euros-whatever it was cheaper

we exchanged our voucher inside the airport terminal and were given a ticket for our party of 4 with a taxi number

the walk from airport terminal to dock is a long covered path-there are luggage carts which makes transporting luggage easier but we couldn't spot them easily at the airport.Probably because most of them are by the baggage carousel and we were already outside by the time we realised pulling our luggage behind us is a pain when you have someone less mobile and part of a snaking queue of people all heading the same way

I might look into venicelink - thanks! Sounds like the walk at the airport to the dock will be just fine. I'm not worried about my Dad - just always thinking about my Mom who had a kidney transplant last December and tires easily. They have roller suitcases and it doesn't sound like they'll have any troubles.