Canadian cruisers!!

I have some shore excursions in my cart. Twice, they have been updated to a higher price to reflect the exchange. Friday, they were updated again, but to a lower cost, as the exchange rate improved.

Must have been some other factor in play regarding the pricing of your shore excursions. The price based on exchange rates is adjusted quarterly and not daily.

Nice! I booked for next Feb (2016). If I called an got an obc for that cruise, but ended up canceling would I get the obc refunded. obviously I'm betting on the Cdn dollar remaining higher than 10%

I would think that it would be refunded should you cancel. It is really no different than purchasing a drink package or shore excursion ahead of time and both those are refunded if you cancel.

Do you have to have booked directly with RCI to get this treatment?

Can I get in on this deal if I booked via a US based TA?

I booked with US agent, and paid in US

I was not able to get this deal- because I paid in US currency. We have had our cruised booked for a long time, back when the dollar was much better

Maybe you can, give them a call, good luck.. Hope you can get it, because it's pretty darn good.

From what I understand, you can only pay for tips & OBCs in CAD if you paid of the original cruise in CAD. So I do not think you would be eligible with a US TA as I would assume you paid for the cruise in USD and then your credit card did a conversion?

Anyone buying OBC now for a cruise in 2016?

I bought OBC for Feb 2016.

You don't have to be booked directly with RCI but it has to be a booking made in Canadian funds.

It seems to me that the message here is to book in Canadian dollars with a Canadian TA.

This is the second time I have come across this type of deal. The first time I booked in US$ with a US TA and they were really, really rude about me even asking if I could pay in Canadian to get the better exchange rate. I decided it was the last time I would book with a US TA. But the problem is a lot of the cruise lines will not quote in CAD. At least that is my experience. I get emails from nearly every cruiseline and the only ones sending me prices in CAD seem to be Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Has anyone else found different? I'd love to be able to always pay in CAD. I am not loyal to any one cruise line as you can see from the ships I've been on.

Just occurred to me in thinking about our MSC cruise, which, by the way, was wonderful! (And kids are always free as 3rd and 4th passengers.) They sail a lot in Europe so a lot of prices showed in Euros but for our Caribbean cruise they just charged the same price as the Euro price but in US$. What a bargain that was! Don't know if they always do that.

It seems to me that the message here is to book in Canadian dollars with a Canadian TA.

This is the second time I have come across this type of deal. The first time I booked in US$ with a US TA and they were really, really rude about me even asking if I could pay in Canadian to get the better exchange rate. I decided it was the last time I would book with a US TA. But the problem is a lot of the cruise lines will not quote in CAD. At least that is my experience. I get emails from nearly every cruiseline and the only ones sending me prices in CAD seem to be Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Has anyone else found different? I'd love to be able to always pay in CAD. I am not loyal to any one cruise line as you can see from the ships I've been on.

Just occurred to me in thinking about our MSC cruise, which, by the way, was wonderful! (And kids are always free as 3rd and 4th passengers.) They sail a lot in Europe so a lot of prices showed in Euros but for our Caribbean cruise they just charged the same price as the Euro price but in US$. What a bargain that was! Don't know if they always do that.

You can book NCL in CAD but you have to call and ask for the CAD rate, online does not give you the option to quote in CAD.

We book online with Royal Caribbean in CAD -- there is a button at the top of the page whereby you can switch from USD to CAD. Sometimes when I am searching I inadvertently kick myself out and have to log back in however in the process the currency switches back to USD. Once I find the cruise, cabin etc. I put it on a courtesy hold and then call RCL and make the booking with them.

Bought $ 3000 in OBC for $3300 a couple of weeks ago. Colour me happy.

Make that 2 of us :(

Did you call as well?

I called, and I wrote an email, asking to put $$$ into my OBC, and was told I had to put it in US funds... I asked about getting this deal, and was told, no I couldn't.

I said, ok, I will keep my money in my pocket then... they still didn't bite, lol.

I have told my dh we will not spend one cent on board now... not that they care, but just for my own sake, in my own private protest.

Silly on their part... why not take our money?????? LOL

I booked in Canadian dollars but with RCL agent itself. (RCL site lets you select the currency so you can tell prices).

I agree with paying in Canadian dolalrs...especially these days. That was one main factor why we went with RCL over Disney. Not only was it a huge price difference but with the dollar, if we paid in US, we wouldn't know how much we were actully paying for a Disney cruise until final payment date. With RCL, we know upfront. The difference today is $2000 more for DCL.

Bought $ 3000 in OBC for $3300 a couple of weeks ago. Colour me happy.

How the heck did you buy that much OBC?? They were giving me a hassle for wanting to buy $1000's worth a few weeks ago. I had to buy two $495 OBCs for the same cruise. He wouldn't even let me buy $500's worth!!

I bought more this past Saturday, $500 for $550...whoohoo. I had booked directly with Royal C in Canadian funds. These were for 2016 sailings. No hassle this time for the $500. I guess each agent has their own judgement on these things.

I'm very happy about this deal :D

Our US based TA made us book in US funds- needless to say I'm looking for s Canadian agent.. Just because

All agents that I know that work for, or own, a US agency only book in US funds. It's too bad because some of them are my friends or want my business but at this time of our falling loonie it doesn't benefit me to pay in US.

There are alot of Canadian travel agents, or simply book with Royal C in Canadian funds until you find an agent you want to work with.

Royal C has an agency in Vancouver and that's how we can book with them in Canadian funds. You'll see that on your cc statement after making payment or receiving a refund.

Hope that helps :D

Yes, that helps. But by then it will be too late, lol

Our upcoming cruises were booked as soon as they came out- so long ago. Our dollar wasn't as low as it is now. Didn't really think it would matter what currency we booked in.

Chalk it up to inexperience :(

I have to keep telling myself that it's saving us money--- but,

I still can't fathom why Royal wouldn't take my money to put in an OBC? Just because we booked in US??

All agents that I know that work for, or own, a US agency only book in US funds. It's too bad because some of them are my friends or want my business but at this time of our falling loonie it doesn't benefit me to pay in US.

There are alot of Canadian travel agents, or simply book with Royal C in Canadian funds until you find an agent you want to work with.

Royal C has an agency in Vancouver and that's how we can book with them in Canadian funds. You'll see that on your cc statement after making payment or receiving a refund.

Hope that helps :D

That's not an agency that they have set up in Vancouver it is just a banking centre for processing CDN$ transactions.

Canadians booking directly through Royal are dealing with the same reps in either Oregon or Kansas that the Americans are.

How the heck did you buy that much OBC?? They were giving me a hassle for wanting to buy $1000's worth a few weeks ago. I had to buy two $495 OBCs for the same cruise. He wouldn't even let me buy $500's worth!!

I bought more this past Saturday, $500 for $550...whoohoo. I had booked directly with Royal C in Canadian funds. These were for 2016 sailings. No hassle this time for the $500. I guess each agent has their own judgement on these things.

I think that since the OBC is your own money, it is fully refundable. For those cruising next week here's a deal: Buy US$1,000,000 for CDN$ 1,100,000. Cash out the US$ 1,000,000 at Guest Relations. Large sums have low exchange fees, so with the CDN$ currently at US$ 0.804, take the US$1 Million to the bank and get CDN$ 1,240,000. You have made a quick CDN $124,000.:D Think RCI will allow this?:rolleyes:

Well today I finally broke down... I wasn't going to get any OBC since we Prepaid Grats, Pre-purchased Bev Packages and specialty restaurants. But with the exchange rate that they are offering, I got $200 (that cost $220) just to cover incidentals like Internet, a few pictures, and maybe a few glasses of wine or scotch that might be over the $12 limit. The customer service rep on the phone said that whatever amount that we don't spend will be automatically refunded on our Credit Card 7 to 10 days after the cruise. So I don't even have to do anything.

dp

Well today I finally broke down... I wasn't going to get any OBC since we Prepaid Grats, Pre-purchased Bev Packages and specialty restaurants. But with the exchange rate that they are offering, I got $200 (that cost $220) just to cover incidentals like Internet, a few pictures, and maybe a few glasses of wine or scotch that might be over the $12 limit. The customer service rep on the phone said that whatever amount that we don't spend will be automatically refunded on our Credit Card 7 to 10 days after the cruise. So I don't even have to do anything.

dp

I had the same thought...we already prepaid for gratuities, beverage package and specialty dining, so I didn't think I should bother with the OBC. But I decided to add a little bit to the OBC from Royal booking just for little incidentals. But if there is some leftover, I will be going to get it in cash. I don't know about your credit card company, but I always get less when I have US$ refunds.

dp

I had the same thought...we already prepaid for gratuities, beverage package and specialty dining, so I didn't think I should bother with the OBC. But I decided to add a little bit to the OBC from Royal booking just for little incidentals. But if there is some leftover, I will be going to get it in cash. I don't know about your credit card company, but I always get less when I have US$ refunds.

I ended up cancelling my dining reservations and drink packages. It was cheaper to buy the OBC and then purchase those on board.