Neptune Suite

Sharon Le

May I ask what is the customary gratuity for your 'concierge' in the Neptune lounge?

first of all it's not necessary, but many of us do it.

It depends really on how much you use the concierge.

It can vary cruise by cruise and by what they do for you.

LOL. I remember it well. You couldn't rent until you were on board and the pink one, for whatever reason, was the one most desired. Our very first HAL cruise was on the Rotterdam and we went right to the Neptune Lounge the minute we checked in to get our name and $50 ( I really think it was $49, KK ;)) on that pink cabana! It was a deal at that price, but not at the prices now, at least not for just 2 people, IMHO.

For the $49 (or $50) -- I really don't remember what we paid -- and it was when we sailed on the Rotterdam -- it was a bargain.

Sometimes with the two concierges, we may tip one more than the other. Somehow we seem to gravitate to one vs the other and usually that one will be doing more for us than the other It's a very rare thing for us to not tip both but there always would be a reason. ;)

Sometimes with the two concierges, we may tip one more than the other. Somehow we seem to gravitate to one vs the other and usually that one will be doing more for us than the other It's a very rare thing for us to not tip both but there always would be a reason. ;)

Interesting Sail. I was told by my concierges when I wanted to tip one more than the other that they had to pool all their tips they receive from the NS & PS passengers.

So that is not the case?

Interesting Sail. I was told by my concierges when I wanted to tip one more than the other that they had to pool all their tips they receive from the NS & PS passengers.

So that is not the case?

I believe it really depends on the ship and "crew" agreements. When we were on the Westy last June thee Concierges said they didn't pool when we asked but they did on the Eurodam in Nov and NA in Dec.

So that is not the case?

I believe it really depends on the ship and "crew" agreements. When we were on the Westy last June thee Concierges said they didn't pool when we asked but they did on the Eurodam in Nov and NA in Dec.

We have only infrequently had Neptune Suites, but have provided one thank you note and envelope addressed to both concierges. We figure they work as a team, and have some sort of system they have worked out for sharing and/or splitting.

So that is not the case?

Though I know many are far more interested about such things than I am, my feeling is once I give a tip to anyone, it is no longer my business where it goes, what they do with it and who may or may not share in it. I cede all interest in any 'future journey' that money may have once it is handed to the person I am tipping.

I would never have dreamed of having a conversation with a concierge about how much I am tipping one vs the other. I determine what I'd like to tip each and hand each an envelope. How does one discuss with the person they are tipping that they may tip them more or less than someone else? :confused: :eek:

We have only infrequently had Neptune Suites, but have provided one thank you note and envelope addressed to both concierges. We figure they work as a team, and have some sort of system they have worked out for sharing and/or splitting.

I know of others who do the same and it is a perfectly fine thing to do IMO. I have not chosen to do that in the past but certainly could consider it in certain circumstances.

Though I know many are far more interested about such things than I am, my feeling is once I give a tip to anyone, it is no longer my business where it goes, what they do with it and who may or may not share in it. I cede all interest in any 'future journey' that money may have once it is handed to the person I am tipping.

I would never have dreamed of having a conversation with a concierge about how much I am tipping one vs the other. I determine what I'd like to tip each and hand each an envelope. How does one discuss with the person they are tipping that they may tip them more or less than someone else? :confused: :eek:

Sorry Sail, I should have worded it better I guess.

This is not normal but we had a HORRIBLE concierge on one cruise. The other one was marvelous. I wanted to tip the wonderful one and not have the horrible one get one dime of what I gave her. I asked if she had to share it.

If she did, I was going to increase it as I didn't want her shorted even though he (the other concierge) didn't deserve it. If she didn't have to share I would have left it as is. She had to share it so I increased the tip.

this man was the worst concierge/front office line staff I have ever seen. If he was in the Neptune Lounge I would leave and wait for her.

Once you give a gift to someone it is no longer yours and the giftee is free to do what they want with it. A tip is a gift and after it leaves our hand it really is none of our business what happens to it.

I wouldn't ever ask, but I understand, kazu, why you wanted the one concierge to get what you wanted her to have.

Sorry Sail, I should have worded it better I guess.

This is not normal but we had a HORRIBLE concierge on one cruise. The other one was marvelous. I wanted to tip the wonderful one and not have the horrible one get one dime of what I gave her. I asked if she had to share it.

If she did, I was going to increase it as I didn't want her shorted even though he (the other concierge) didn't deserve it. If she didn't have to share I would have left it as is. She had to share it so I increased the tip.

this man was the worst concierge/front office line staff I have ever seen. If he was in the Neptune Lounge I would leave and wait for her.

While this could be seen as a bit confrontational, I believe a concierge who provided you such poor service clearly needs 'more training'. I would have tipped the concierge who pleased you, told her I did not wish for her to share with the other concierge and would have spoken with the GRM /Front Office Supervisor about the poor performing concierge. I would have told them special circumstances should be possible to permit the 'good' concierge to keep the whole tip I gave her as that is my wish. The whole point is not about 'stiffing' the poor concierge but to see to it he improves and does a better job in the future.

If no guests tell the supervisors what they experience, how are they to do anything about it?

While this could be seen as a bit confrontational, I believe a concierge who provided you such poor service clearly needs 'more training'. I would have tipped the concierge who pleased you, told her I did not wish for her to share with the other concierge and would have spoken with the GRM /Front Office Supervisor about the poor performing concierge. I would have told them special circumstances should be possible to permit the 'good' concierge to keep the whole tip I gave her as that is my wish. The whole point is not about 'stiffing' the poor concierge but to see to it he improves and does a better job in the future.

If no guests tell the supervisors what they experience, how are they to do anything about it?

exactly. I did just that actually and the concierge told me she had to share and had no choice so I upped the tip. I certainly let my feelings be known to the appropriate people on the ship. I honestly don't know if this man could be trained, but he needed a lot of it. I do believe in addressing things on the ship and I did.

I'm not a complainer by nature, (on the ships or here) but this man was the worst I had seen and didn't belong at any post dealing with customers. It was a one off fortunately.

• 3 months later...

This will be our first time with access to the Neptune lounge - a range of tips for the concierges would be really helpful. What would be a good additional tip for the stewards with the Neptune or Pinacle suites?

We have done neptune,signature, and plain verandas, and have had cabanas on board the ships with each, so you don't need a Neptune to get an onboard cabana. We love the Neptune..... the space... The large veranda....and the priorty boarding :). We don't do it every time, but it is a treat

I think the best benefits are laundry and dry cleaning included in the fare, breakfast in Pinnacle Grill and Neptune Lounge....... aside from the actual lovely cabin. :)
Absolutely agree with this! First time on HAL last summer in a NS. Loved it! Want to go back. Just trying to decide what route and when. :D

• 9 months later...

This thread has been very helpful and hoping to get some more information...

We have previously had a suite on RC and one of the perks we enjoyed as Suite guests, that weren't advertised prior to our cruise, were: a separate seating area for the pool (not cabanas, just a section of deck chairs roped off) and a separate seating area for entertainment in the main theater. We found that both of these made our time on board much easier as we were on a full cruise.

We have now booked a Neptune Suite on Oosterdam for next year and just wondered if there is anything similar on HAL?

No, HAL does not separate suite guests' seating at the pool nor do they reserve a section of seats in Show Lounge.

NCL reserved seats on cruise I took last summer but they did not have seating at the pool, so far as I know.

No, HAL does not separate suite guests' seating at the pool nor do they reserve a section of seats in Show Lounge.

NCL reserved seats on cruise I took last summer but they did not have seating at the pool, so far as I know.

Thanks for the quick responses, I suspected that was the case as I hadn't seen it listed anywhere.

This thread has been very helpful and hoping to get some more information...

We have previously had a suite on RC and one of the perks we enjoyed as Suite guests, that weren't advertised prior to our cruise, were: a separate seating area for the pool (not cabanas, just a section of deck chairs roped off) and a separate seating area for entertainment in the main theater. We found that both of these made our time on board much easier as we were on a full cruise.

We have now booked a Neptune Suite on Oosterdam for next year and just wondered if there is anything similar on HAL?

HAL doesn't reserve seating for suite guests - I know it was a huge advantage on RCI especially for The Quest and for the ice shows. But honestly I prefer HAL's system of no favouritism in public areas. Neptune Suite guests enjoy other perks instead, like the Neptune Lounge and the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, and priority boarding.

HAL doesn't reserve seating for suite guests - I know it was a huge advantage on RCI especially for The Quest and for the ice shows. But honestly I prefer HAL's system of no favouritism in public areas. Neptune Suite guests enjoy other perks instead, like the Neptune Lounge and the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, and priority boarding.

Thanks for the feedback

• 1 month later...

Does the concierge contact you before the cruise? We have a coupon for a free Pinnacle Grill dinner for two. I want to book in advance, but at least online you have to pay. I was hoping I could make the reservation before boarding if the concierge contacts suite guests in advance. Thank you.

Does the concierge contact you before the cruise? We have a coupon for a free Pinnacle Grill dinner for two. I want to book in advance, but at least online you have to pay. I was hoping I could make the reservation before boarding if the concierge contacts suite guests in advance. Thank you.

No, the concierges do not contact you in advance. If you book and pay for your PG dinner in advance, they will credit your account on the ship.

No, the concierges do not contact you in advance. If you book and pay for your PG dinner in advance, they will credit your account on the ship.

That is good to know. I have a coupon for a free PFG dinner for 2 with a wine package purchase. I figured I had to wait until onboard to take c are of both. Thank you for this information

Thank you. Do they give you onboard credit or a direct credit card refund?