Drink prices going up March 1st

OzCanuck

Ok now I understand NCL just wants $4 more per passenger thats fine with me. Another post also stated the gratuities are going to be raised from 15% to 18% that means I don't have to tip extra as we always give an extra dollar or so per drink.[/quote

If you always tip a dollar or so, why would you stop now?

Harriet

Ok now I understand NCL just wants $4 more per passenger thats fine with me. Another post also stated the gratuities are going to be raised from 15% to 18% that means I don't have to tip extra as we always give an extra dollar or so per drink.[/quote

If you always tip a dollar or so, why would you stop now?

Harriet

Because 18% is more than enough? :confused:

Given the angst and near-hysteria created by the $.95 per day increase in service charge, I'd be surprised if trying to raise the revenue $4 per day by increasing drink prices doesn't lead to threat of mass suicide by a large contingent of Cruise Critic posters. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the first post claiming that NCL can't do this if you've booked your cruise before March 1...that the price of drinks is locked in by contract on the day you booked...:rolleyes:

So now they're into your pockets for an additional $35 per week between the service charge and drinks.

No one likes to pay higher prices, but someone please, please tell me with a straight face that they wouldn't have booked their cruise if the fare had been $35 higher for a week's cruise on the day you booked.

like-all-300x300.png

Agree on all counts!

Another post also stated the gratuities are going to be raised from 15% to 18% that means I don't have to tip extra as we always give an extra dollar or so per drink.
Nobody has to tip extra, but an increase from 15% to 18% is only like an extra 25¢ for the barman.

Because 18% is more than enough? :confused:

::shrug:: I'm a 20% tipper usually and I know they have to walk over to me and ask me what I want.....walk back to the bar and get my drink and leave the check.....come back and get my sea pass card and bring it back to the bar....then bring it all back to me once again.

Harriet

::shrug:: I'm a 20% tipper usually and I know they have to walk over to me and ask me what I want.....walk back to the bar and get my drink and leave the check.....come back and get my sea pass card and bring it back to the bar....then bring it all back to me once again.

Harriet

Would that were always the case nowadays. We have noticed a definite reduction in the number of drinks waiters over the years. On our first cruise in 2008 we were surrounded by drinks waiters - on our last 2 cruises I went to the bar to get our drinks as often as not (I got quite good at walking two full Martinis around in rough seas without spilling any):D.

Would that were always the case nowadays. We have noticed a definite reduction in the number of drinks waiters over the years. On our first cruise in 2008 we were surrounded by drinks waiters - on our last 2 cruises I went to the bar to get our drinks as often as not (I got quite good at walking two full Martinis around in rough seas without spilling any):D.

Ha! Sometimes that extra dollar can save you lots of walking and a waiter always 'watching' when you need a drink!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Ha! Sometimes that extra dollar can save you lots of walking and a waiter always 'watching' when you need a drink!

Harriet

If I am already paying 15% on top (soon to be 18%) I would expect a certain level of service for that - I do not ask a lot - if our glasses are empty I should be able to attract a waiter's attention in a reasonable time for a refill without having to wave dead presidents around.

Having to pay over and above the 'agreed' tipping system to receive a basic service is not acceptable. It is a broken, cockamamie system which is getting more broken and exploitative by the day.

If I am already paying 15% on top (soon to be 18%) I would expect a certain level of service for that - I do not ask a lot - if our glasses are empty I should be able to attract a waiter's attention in a reasonable time for a refill without having to wave dead presidents around.

Having to pay over and above the 'agreed' tipping system to receive a basic service is not acceptable. It is a broken, cockamamie system which is getting more broken and exploitative by the day.

You may be right. However, I'm on vacation and if giving a dead president to someone that brings me a drink and is looking out for my empty glass makes my vacation more enjoyable......that's what I'll do as that works for me!

Harriet

I agree... I was surprised on the Breakaway that the Martinis were less on a cruise ship than they would have cost me back home!

On NCL martinis previously were at least 17-19% less than on Celebrity. I have to agree that NCL drink prices were very reasonable for a very long time.

On the other hand, because of the current EUR-USD exchange rate being really bad for us compared to the last five years, this raise (for both drink prices and in auto-gratuity) will probably affect how much I'll drink onboard without UBP (like on our upcoming 11-nighter, all our other future cruises have drink package included).

Edited by Demonyte

Hi there, Devil's advocate here....If you read the ad like a lawyer, variety could mean a variety of choices that NCL chooses to have in the package?? Could mean 4, or 5, or 7 different drinks now. All others are off limits on the UBP....:eek:

Now back to your regular schedule discussions....:)

Hi there, Devil's advocate here....If you read the ad like a lawyer, variety could mean a variety of choices that NCL chooses to have in the package?? Could mean 4, or 5, or 7 different drinks now. All others are off limits on the UBP....:eek:

Now back to your regular schedule discussions....:)

I'm reading like a non-lawyer. If I've purchased the UBP last week and know what it is.....and then this week get the UBP as a perk....shouldn't they advertise it or mention that it's changed when they promoted the UBP as a perk?

Harriet

When I read Del Rios interview about getting $50 more a week I had no problems with that under the assumption that for that increased money we get something in return. If I did not miss it, so far the DSC, the drink prices and the auto gratitudes increases. What did he implement so far where we as customers profit from?

We have noticed a definite reduction in the number of drinks waiters over the years. On our first cruise in 2008 we were surrounded by drinks waiters - on our last 2 cruises I went to the bar to get our drinks as often as not :D.

Our first cruise after a long time away in 2008 we were so overrun by drink servers at the pool, asking every 30 seconds if we wanted a drink, we considered not cruising anymore. When NCL changed the system to give the servers "sections" and we were able to get to know them we thought it was a great improvement.

When I read Del Rios interview about getting $50 more a week I had no problems with that under the assumption that for that increased money we get something in return. If I did not miss it, so far the DSC, the drink prices and the auto gratitudes increases. What did he implement so far where we as customers profit from?

Yet to come ... hmmm, Bingo !!!

Oh, yessss. :D :rolleyes: It's Bingo time - of course. I can visualize that on our sailing next month - higher prices for Bingo games, bundled deals (less for more ;) ) and "tweaked" payouts or winning odds - faithful Bingo players will continue to hand their cards over to swipe & sign on the dotted line. Problems solved, at least partially - no "prying" necessary to squeeze the passengers for that extra $4 a day, no ??

Priority Access/Seating in the MDR, for a nominal fee to "compliment" Freestyle Cruising - if Disneys can do it, why not give it a try ... Ooops, better not give any more ideas, not that they don't already figured out already :p

Looks like they bumped the UBP to $11.00

https://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

Looks that they raised the price per drink to $11.00.

"Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $11 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay."

Harriet

Ummmmmm, where do you see $11 at? Here is what I see from the link posted....

"Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board."

Ummmmmm, where do you see $11 at? Here is what I see from the link posted....

"Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board."

That page was updated already yesterday from $10/15% to $11/18% (also checked again just now), refresh your browser.

Edited by Demonyte

Ok now I understand NCL just wants $4 more per passenger thats fine with me. Another post also stated the gratuities are going to be raised from 15% to 18% that means I don't have to tip extra as we always give an extra dollar or so per drink.

Really, you're talking a about $.30 more on a $10 drink.

I look at it this way. for an extra $1 tip, I will be seeing the servers come to me more asking if I want a refill, vice having to track one down or going to the bar to get it myself. I am on vacation, I want to be spoiled and enjoy my time....standing in a bar line is not my idea of a good time....:)