Drink prices going up March 1st

OzCanuck

According to some additional info in this article. Not sure if this was posted elsewhere:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-27/norwegian-needs-you-to-spend-just-4-more-per-day-on-your-cruise

Not a big deal, I guess.

"Norwegian is planning a 6.7 percent increase on March 1, its first since 2010. A soda will cost $2.25, 15¢ more; a beer will rise a quarter, to $3.50."

According to some additional info in this article. Not sure if this was posted elsewhere:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-27/norwegian-needs-you-to-spend-just-4-more-per-day-on-your-cruise

Not a big deal, I guess.

"Norwegian is planning a 6.7 percent increase on March 1, its first since 2010. A soda will cost $2.25, 15¢ more; a beer will rise a quarter, to $3.50."

I wonder what this means for the UBP. They give it out, but you can't order anything because it now costs more than $10:confused:

I took it as the drink package will increase $4 more per day is it the package or each drink price? I can't see them elevating each drink by $4 more.

The article makes no mention of the Ultimate Beverage Package. It simply states that Norwegian is looking to try and receive an average of $4 in additional revenue per guest per day, and is implementing a small percentage increase to the price of individual beverages, in an effort to accomplish that goal.

Edited by WaldosPepper

The article makes no mention of the Ultimate Beverage Package. It simply states that Norwegian is looking to try and receive an average of $4 in additional revenue per guest per day, and is implementing a small percentage increase to the price of individual beverages, in an effort to accomplish that goal.

Possibly one part of the getting an extra $50 per couple that was mentioned in the Del Rio interview.

I took it as the drink package will increase $4 more per day is it the package or each drink price? I can't see them elevating each drink by $4 more.
I can't see them raising the price of the UBP again so soon, since it just went up $10/day last year. The package did become more generous, but I really can't see myself paying any more than $59/day for what is currently included (and excluded).

Possibly one part of the getting an extra $50 per couple that was mentioned in the Del Rio interview.

That was my thought, exactly. Doing the math at $4 pp/pd = $28 pp/pw = $54 per couple per week, average.

Personally I've always thought the drink prices were very reasonable, considering I've spent more than double the cost for the same cocktails in most major tourist areas. I really don't personally have any issue with them increasing the price of beverages this way. Just my personal opinion, but surely there will be many who will lose their minds over it. :roll eyes:

:)

That was my thought, exactly. Doing the math at $4 pp/pd = $28 pp/pw = $54 per couple per week, average.

Personally I've always thought the drink prices were very reasonable, considering I've spent more than double the cost for the same cocktails in most major tourist areas. I really don't personally have any issue with them increasing the price of beverages this way. Just my personal opinion, but surely there will be many who will lose their minds over it. :roll eyes:

:)

I agree... I was surprised on the Breakaway that the Martinis were less on a cruise ship than they would have cost me back home!

Not a big deal, I guess.

If beer is going up a quarter, it will cost $5.50, not $3.50 as the article says. The $3.50 figure is either a typo or bad reporting by Bloomberg.com.

I always felt the drink prices are reasonable also, lets not forget the cruise line purchases liquor in huge bulk and they purchase it in places where they get the best prices and most likely don't pay taxes either on them.

I have to say the extra $4 has to be for the drink package, I can't see them raising each drink $4 that would make people angry. I also not sure if I would even cruise on the cruise line if I had to pay an extra $4 day for the drink package (we still don't have the exact details what exactly is going up) I have to say I take my business somewhere else for sure.

Right now I have it included in my cruise next year complementary due to the special they were offering, maybe they realize this offer became more popular than what they thought thusly needing to increase future items so they can make up the losses as they need to keep their annual earnings percentage stable or higher than what it was last year for this year and next?

If the plan was to give away tons of UBPs and then raise drink prices so that many items no longer fall under UBP parameters, that's pretty shady.

This was my thought exactly... Make lots of the drinks just over the $10 limit, thus forcing you to pay full price... My 2 cents...

Guys, do youu math. Most drinks are currently under $9. Raise the price 6.7% and they are still under $10. Stop worrying about silly stuff. they make a fortune off the UBP because most of the people who buy it would not spend close to $59 per day on adult beverages.

I have to say the extra $4 has to be for the drink package, I can't see them raising each drink $4 that would make people angry.

My take on this is that they're looking to get an extra $4.00 per day. Not that they're going to raise the price of the drink $4.00. They can raise the price of the drink .15 cents or .25 cents or .50 cents etc. I'm not a big drinker but I've known people to have 10-12 drinks a day starting with a bloody mary at breakfast, a few drinks around the pool, a couple glasses of wine at lunch, another few around the pool, more wine at dinner and a few drinks at the show / evening. I'm out of it after one drink so I can't understand it......but it happens.

Harriet

If the plan was to give away tons of UBPs and then raise drink prices so that many items no longer fall under UBP parameters, that's pretty shady.
If they raise all the drink prices by 6.7%, or even by 10%, there will still be plenty of drinks priced at under $10, and you will still be able to drink an unlimited number of those for free, so your accusation is a little harsh.

Looks like they bumped the UBP to $11.00

https://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

Looks that they raised the price per drink to $11.00.

"Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $11 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay."

Harriet

If they raise all the drink prices by 6.7%, or even by 10%, there will still be plenty of drinks priced at under $10, and you will still be able to drink an unlimited number of those for free, so your accusation is a little harsh.

Yeah, "if" is so harsh... LOL

Yeah on raising the UBP limit to $11. Perfect! So my earlier "if" is not what happened. Good news!

Given the angst and near-hysteria created by the $.95 per day increase in service charge, I'd be surprised if trying to raise the revenue $4 per day by increasing drink prices doesn't lead to threat of mass suicide by a large contingent of Cruise Critic posters. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the first post claiming that NCL can't do this if you've booked your cruise before March 1...that the price of drinks is locked in by contract on the day you booked...:rolleyes:

So now they're into your pockets for an additional $35 per week between the service charge and drinks.

No one likes to pay higher prices, but someone please, please tell me with a straight face that they wouldn't have booked their cruise if the fare had been $35 higher for a week's cruise on the day you booked.

You see mr del rio said on an interview he wants 50usd per person more for a week.it looks like he just got it.well done mr del rio.since you joined ncl we just saw big price increases on 2017 sailings more cutbacks and now this...interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Forums