Alaska shoe help- Confused

I am so confused on what shoes we need to take to Alaska. I read we need two pairs of tennis shoes each (in case one is wet). Than we all take one pair of dress shoes, one pair of flip flops (pool/hot tub use) and one more casual shoe for dining room non formal night ( and ship pictures) and to wear around ship also. Three people going that would be 15 pairs of shoes. Does that sound right?

Also I am cold natured ( on Caribbean cruise I wear jacket all the time inside ship). I also would like to wear my leggings with my slouchy shirts but wear boots with them. Would it be crazy to take my uggs to wear around ship with my leggings?

This question gets answered a lot on the Alaska board.

We took less shoes to Alaska. I took three pair and DH took two.

Feel free to wear your Uggs

Check the weather before you leave. One year it was T-shirt and shorts weather. The next was 40 and wet.

You can wear what you want around the ship. If you are comfortable with Uggs inside, them you will be fine on the ship. As to 2 pairs of tennis shoes, I took a pair of water resistant walking shoes and was fine with those. No need for two pairs there. As to the flip flops, they don't take up much room. And if you choose carefully, your dress shoes can also do for other nights too. So that is down to 3 pairs. 4 if you wear your Uggs too.

I am so confused on what shoes we need to take to Alaska. I read we need two pairs of tennis shoes each (in case one is wet). Than we all take one pair of dress shoes, one pair of flip flops (pool/hot tub use) and one more casual shoe for dining room non formal night ( and ship pictures) and to wear around ship also. Three people going that would be 15 pairs of shoes. Does that sound right?

Also I am cold natured ( on Caribbean cruise I wear jacket all the time inside ship). I also would like to wear my leggings with my slouchy shirts but wear boots with them. Would it be crazy to take my uggs to wear around ship with my leggings?

I see you are planning a June cruise... that one of the dryer months in Alaska. I would just bring a pair of runners, but double check the forecast as you are packing.

In August when I went with rain the forecast.... Steeltoe waterproof work boots were great to allow me to "go anywhere".

@cruise.freak

Don't freak out!

I left for Alaska in June 2009 -- 7 day cruise and TWO weeks self-driving -- with a pair of Merrell "mocs" packed and wearing Merrell Gore-tex hiking boots. Well, before ever leaving the airport, the heel fell off the Vibram sole on the latter! So I did the entire trip in the "mocs" -- and they weren't even leather they were hemp/cloth! (FYI Merrell 'mocs' are like clogs with enclosed heels.)

Wet shoes dry. Pick up a newspaper somewhere to stuff (lightly) wet tennies overnight.

Dinners are less formal on an Alaskan cruise, and you can skip dressing fancy entirely if you just eat in the buffet that/those night(s), which was our plan with just the two shoes.

I did 12 days in AK (visiting family, hiking & driving, then a cruise) with 3 pairs of shoes - goretex hiking shoes, privo mocs, and black low heeled sandals. I wore the hiking shoes or privos for shore trips and the privos or heels for dinner (Casual and formal nights).

If you have goretex shoes or even use "waterproof" spray on your regular shoes, you can easily drop one pair of extra shoes.

I don't normally pack flip flops (I rarely use the pool - I don't think we did at all on the AK trip) but those take up so little room that I wouldn't worry about adding them to the luggage.

I haven't quite figured out how this happens, but it's far easier for me to pack fewer shoes for AK or other active trips than for a warm weather trip. I think I had 5 or 6 prs for the Panama Canal cruise:rolleyes: But that was years ago and I'm more experienced at paring down my luggage now (when I want to).

Edited by Hoyaheel

What will you be doing in ports? That will determine what kind of shoe you need to wear! If you're just strolling around town, then whatever you would wear at home on a rainy day is fine! It's only if you're doing some sort of backwoods hiking or climbing that you might want a waterproof shoe.

And, unless a shoe is soaked, your hair dryer should remove enough extra water for it to dry on it's own by the next day...

You are unlikely to be spending much time by the pool...but a pair of flip-flops takes up NO room!

Don't forget you will be wearing a pair of shoes while you travel, so that's one less pair to pack. Wear your heaviest pair (hiking, sneaks, whatever). I know I personally hate to travel in bulky shoes but I sucked it up so I could pack an extra pair of "cute" shoes for the ship. But then, I like my shoes and can usually mamange to find room for them!

OP cruise.freak could wear the UGGs on the plane -- I think they slip off at check-points fairly easily.

I have had to give up on wearing the heaviest shoe on the plane, due to security AND the fact that my high arches become *very* unhappy in a laced-up shoe when sitting, and economy seats usually do not have room to lean over and reach them to unlace them! I definitely has a sad when I look at all the room my walking shoe-boots take up in the suitcase.

Edited by crystalspin

Guest maddycat
@cruise.freak

Don't freak out!

I left for Alaska in June 2009 -- 7 day cruise and TWO weeks self-driving -- with a pair of Merrell "mocs" packed and wearing Merrell Gore-tex hiking boots. Well, before ever leaving the airport, the heel fell off the Vibram sole on the latter! So I did the entire trip in the "mocs" -- and they weren't even leather they were hemp/cloth! (FYI Merrell 'mocs' are like clogs with enclosed heels.)

Wet shoes dry. Pick up a newspaper somewhere to stuff (lightly) wet tennies overnight.

Dinners are less formal on an Alaskan cruise, and you can skip dressing fancy entirely if you just eat in the buffet that/those night(s), which was our plan with just the two shoes.

You do not have to skip the MDR on formal night. You're sailing on RCI. Many of the passengers will be dressed casually on formal night and will be eating in the MDR.

We went to Alaska twice. We each brought one pair of regular sneakers and were fine.

We were in Alaska in September and I didn't think it was appreciatively colder than northern Michigan except it was cold in the glacier. It can and does rain, so wear whatever shoes you'd wear on a rainy, cool day. My uggs are not very waterproof, good in snow, but not so good in slush or rain but if they are your fave and they aren't too warm on your feet go for it and it sounds like you want to wear them primarily on the ship. I was good with a waterproof pair of lightweight trail shoes and socks. I was happy to have a down sweater and a cotton knit hat and gloves for the glaciers. I was happy to have a lightweight rainproof windbreaker for the rain.

I would probably take one good pair of water-resistant activity boots/shoes, one pair of fancier shoes to wear when dressing up, and one all-purpose set of flats or loafers or whatever you like to wear. Something comfortable for walking, and neutral enough that you can wear them casually in port or about the ship or dress up a bit if wanted.

People would probably wonder why you are wearing your UGGs because they are considered "winter boots". Instead of tennis shoes if you are afraid of wet days - either walking shoes as suggested by someone else or running shoes (not the mesh kind) would protect you.

Instead of tennis shoes if you are afraid of wet days - either walking shoes as suggested by someone else or running shoes (not the mesh kind) would protect you.

Most Americans tend to use "running shoes" and "tennis shoes" interchangeably, because (esp on this board) few people are talking about sport-specific shoes. They just mean a generic athletic shoe that most people find comfortable for walking.

So if there is a type of shoe/sneaker you are recommending, do you have any links?

Edited by Hoyaheel

On our last AK cruise I had 2 pairs of shoes.

Running shoes for virtually everything and a pair of dress heels for dinner. Also a pair of slippers to wear to the spa. Wore the running shoes on the plane so packing shoes was minimal.

If you are planning excursions to a glacier or hiking or something, you will probably want other things, but we kept our sightseeing to towns and tour busses.

Good point, Lerin! Most excursions on the cruise itself need nothing other than sneakers/tennies/trainers. We did two weeks inland with moderate hikes -- and it turned out I didn't REALLY need hiking boots after all!

And Maddycat, I was speaking of HAL and also seven years ago and I understand from CC that almost every line has gotten a bit less formal (in a REQUIRED sense) in the last decade or so.

Guest maddycat
Most Americans tend to use "running shoes" and "tennis shoes" interchangeably, because (esp on this board) few people are talking about sport-specific shoes. They just mean a generic athletic shoe that most people find comfortable for walking.

So if there is a type of shoe/sneaker you are recommending, do you have any links?

Exactly. When I posted that I took sneakers with me to Alaska what I should have said is that I brought New Balance leather walking shoes. I wore them every day........on the ship and in port.

I don't find most comments about "sneakers" confusing - just specifically the one I quoted from squadron saying not to bring tennis shoes but TO bring running shoes.

To me, both tennis shoes and running shoes could be equally comfortable (not to me, but that's another story:p) but neither are water resistant and - as I mentioned - tend to be used interchangeably by Americans. As squadron has Canada listed as home, I was wondering if this is one of those common languages separated by a border type things:D

In any event - in Alaska (and many other places I travel since I tend to like places in wet seasons) waterproof and comfortable are key for at least one pair of my shoes. And anyone who's read this board for more than a day will realize that "comfort" means something different to each of us, so....

People would probably wonder why you are wearing your UGGs because they are considered "winter boots". Instead of tennis shoes if you are afraid of wet days - either walking shoes as suggested by someone else or running shoes (not the mesh kind) would protect you.

Agreed, unpopular as this opinion may be. You are going to Alaska, yes - but it will be summer. The weather in Alaska can be warm and sunny - in the 80's even, although this is not the norm. It can also be pouring down rain. I, personally, would not take or wear the Uggs but you can absolutely do what you want to do. :) We cruised to Alaska some years ago and are returning there again in a few months, and I am not taking any boots of any kind. *shrug*

I don't find most comments about "sneakers" confusing - just specifically the one I quoted from squadron saying not to bring tennis shoes but TO bring running shoes.

To me, both tennis shoes and running shoes could be equally comfortable (not to me, but that's another story:p) but neither are water resistant and - as I mentioned - tend to be used interchangeably by Americans. As squadron has Canada listed as home, I was wondering if this is one of those common languages separated by a border type things:D

In any event - in Alaska (and many other places I travel since I tend to like places in wet seasons) waterproof and comfortable are key for at least one pair of my shoes. And anyone who's read this board for more than a day will realize that "comfort" means something different to each of us, so....

To me runners may be what you call sport shoes - sometimes leather or partially leather uppers. That makes them somewhat water proof (been to Alaska twice - never had rain. ) The soles have better "grip" if you are even walking in the woods vs tennis shoes with a smoother sole. Also for a longer hike they may be more comfortable. Someone else mentioned walking shoes - New Balance, Merrill, Clarks, Josef Seibel, Rockports are some brands. Also there are "sports sandals" - comfortable for long distance walking - made by the companies mentioned for casual wear. Even Nike or Addidas if not the styles that are all mesh - not so good for rain.

Rain will most likely be in Ketchikan, if you see rain at all. It's a rain forest after all. My family all has waterproof hiking/walking shoes/boots, but before we did, waterproof camp spray works just fine. I always waterproofed our jeans from the knees down for Ketchikan. Never been there when it wasn't raining. The other rain we've encountered wasn't heavy or solid rain - just mist or sprinkles here & there.

If you do take your Uggs, just wear them on the ship. If you're cold-natured, you might wear them on your glacier day or when it's cool in the evening or morning. I'm hot natured, so I stay away from that stuff. Anyway, they really won't do well if it's wet or you're going to be around snowy slush. And to me, their soles don't do well on wet surfaces.

I usually take one evening sandal that can go with casual or nicer casual outfits. Then a pair of waterproof hikers, athletic shoes for non-rainy days or just around on board, and a beach-type sandal for trips to the hot tub. (we will have a week inland following our cruise, and the hotels have indoor heated pools, so I definitely won't leave this one off!)

Edited by GORDONCHICK